WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Laptops!

Do you like computers? Do you have a lap? What a fortuitous day it is, then! We're offering portable lap-compatible computing devices for a limited time! Create documents! Surf the World Wide Web! Connect with your secret family! The world is your oyster!

danielm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danielm

re: $330 HP 14" Dual-Core i5 ProBook.

According to this document at HP HQ the following docking stations are compatible with the HP Probook 6440b.

HP 90W Docking Station
HP 120W Advanced Docking Station
HP USB 2.0 Docking Station
HP Essential USB 2.0 Port Replicator
HP Dual-Monitor Stand
HP Monitor Stand
HP Basic Adjustable Stand
HP Adjustable Notebook Stand
NOTE: Some HP Docking stations may not support every feature of some HP Notebook models. Please
refer to the individual docking station documentation for specific information about supported features.

Robb969

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Robb969

I purchased the HP ENVY 15-J013CL right before Christmas. Let me say: GREAT laptop. I'm a semi-gamer and this thing runs Skyrim on High settings. My old laptop wouldn't even run it. Period. The one caveat: No DVD Drive. But I haven't missed that for a second. This thing is light, decent screen, has a good battery, and a nice enough keyboard. All in all, I'm EXTREMELY pleased with this laptop, and thought I'd share here, since I bought it here.

Note: It has Windows 8. Bleh. I installed "Classic Shell" on it, and I no longer hate Windows 8. Do a little reading if you don't like the W8 interface. If you do, ignore this paragraph.

abhiabhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abhiabhi

It's so unbelievable Asus ROG G75VW-AH71 was here 3-4 times since July and every time it gets sold out by the time I see it
Give me just 1 Woot!

abhil@sh

akbopper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akbopper

Does the keyboard dock for the Samsung ATIV Tab 5 XE500T1C-K01US have an additional battery, like its ASUS and Dell competitors?

jcharpentier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcharpentier

The Samsung Ativ Book 5 is currently selling for $800 on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=COOD5vqt9rsCFQPNOgodtSoA4w&Item=N82E16834131488

Few reviews (only 3, two of which are from someone who got a defective touchscreen, but is happy with the replacement)

Need a better laptop for the family, conidering this.

titangears

quality posts: 9 Private Messages titangears

I was going to purchase the Lenovo T410 laptop. At checkout I noticed Woot is now charging sales tax. In TN the sales tax is 9.25%, which should put the total to 299.99+27.75+5=332.74. However, Woot is even charging tax on the shipping costs! Unbelievable. Since when has shipping been included in sales tax calculations? So with sales tax applied to both the lap top and shipping, the final price came out to $333.20.

Woot used to be a place to find deals. Not so much any more.

I removed the laptop from my cart. $0 for Woot and the tax man today. Not sure when I'll be back either. Thanks for all the past sales Woot. It was fun.

Addicted to cycling and gadgets..

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

titangears: Woot is now required to collect sales tax for orders shipped to AZ, CA, CT, GA, IN, KS, KY, MA, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, and WV.

If the item that you order is subject to sales tax in the state where it’s shipped to, tax is generally calculated on the total selling price of the item. Based on state tax laws, the total selling price of an item will generally include, among other things, shipping charges. The amount of tax charged on your order will depend on many factors including identity of the seller, type of item purchased and destination of the order.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf

I ordered a Toshiba Satellite U925T, because it seems to have good specs for a tablet. I lately haven't found many deals on Woot worth buying, but this seemed good. I too was surprised by the tax, but I guess the free ride is over. I knew it would happen eventually.

Still a good deal even with the tax. But, I will start shopping at more brick & mortar stores. It will employ local people.

binna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binna

Anyone considering purchasing an ENVY, beware of the hinges problem - Google or read Amazon reviews. I was happy with mine for 14 months, than it broke - after the warranty expired. At least invest in extra warranty.

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper

I am not a fan of this no cd (optical) drive trend. Have I used an optical drive lately? Not really. Do I still use it? Yes! In my opinion it makes buying a laptop more difficult because it is yet another thing I will have to pay attention to when buying one. And it is not usually mentioned until you get to the detailed specs

honeymoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages honeymoose

Who does the refurbishing for the Lenovo laptops? Specifically the t410's? Is it done by Lenovo or another company?

Thanks!

ThunderThighs

Staff

honeymoose wrote:Who does the refurbishing for the Lenovo laptops? Specifically the t410's? Is it done by Lenovo or another company?

Thanks!

If the condition is Factory Refurbished, the work is done by the company or a 3rd party they designate.

If the condition is Refurbished, it's done by a 3rd party.

I don't have information on specific companies that do the work.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ki4rxm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ki4rxm
kazper wrote:I am not a fan of this no cd (optical) drive trend. Have I used an optical drive lately? Not really. Do I still use it? Yes! In my opinion it makes buying a laptop more difficult because it is yet another thing I will have to pay attention to when buying one. And it is not usually mentioned until you get to the detailed specs

I would suggest investing in an independent optical drive that can be connected by USB. That way you keep the versatility of having the optical drive available and the light/thin factor. Plus, a single external drive can be shared among multiple devices.

melias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melias

The description for the "Dell Latitude E4310 13.3" Laptop, Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA - (Off Lease)" says no web cam but the picture shows a webcam, can anyone confirm with or without?

ThunderThighs

Staff

melias wrote:The description for the "Dell Latitude E4310 13.3" Laptop, Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA - (Off Lease)" says no web cam but the picture shows a webcam, can anyone confirm with or without?

We're told no webcam. We just couldn't find a picture of one without it.

lilmiztuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilmiztuff

what's the return policy with these laptops?

ThunderThighs

Staff

lilmiztuff wrote:what's the return policy with these laptops?

We accept returns for damaged or defective items only. Our return policy is document in our FAQ.

drcanak

quality posts: 4 Private Messages drcanak
honeymoose wrote:Who does the refurbishing for the Lenovo laptops? Specifically the t410's? Is it done by Lenovo or another company?

Thanks!

I purchased this Lenovo a few weeks back from Woot and can confirm it's a 3rd party.

My computer shipped with no restore partition, and no restore discs. I emailed the refurb company, per their instructions, and they promptly replied that they would either (a) send me another hard drive with the restore partition, or (b) a Win7 disc.

I opted for the disc, and at this point will have to wait and see that I receive it. But I have no reason to doubt the company, and they replied to my original request and subsequent emails within 24 hours as stated in their materials.

hth,
jeff

As an aside, this laptop shipped with *no* bloatware at all. It was a clean Win7 install with no extra anything installed. This is exactly what I want.

subether

quality posts: 3 Private Messages subether
drcanak wrote:I purchased this Lenovo a few weeks back from Woot and can confirm it's a 3rd party.

My computer shipped with no restore partition, and no restore discs. I emailed the refurb company, per their instructions, and they promptly replied that they would either (a) send me another hard drive with the restore partition, or (b) a Win7 disc.

I opted for the disc, and at this point will have to wait and see that I receive it. But I have no reason to doubt the company, and they replied to my original request and subsequent emails within 24 hours as stated in their materials.

hth,
jeff

As an aside, this laptop shipped with *no* bloatware at all. It was a clean Win7 install with no extra anything installed. This is exactly what I want.

Does it have the COA on it, at least? *also bought one, but has zero problems with getting media in the event that happens*

ThunderThighs

Staff

subether wrote:Does it have the COA on it, at least? *also bought one, but has zero problems with getting media in the event that happens*

Keep in mind that Windows 8 machines do not come with the COA sticker. The key is stored in the BIOS.

Tiker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tiker

Just bought the T410 because I needed a laptop due to the face my desktop just broke. Needed Windows 7 and a decent processor. 60+$ cheaper than NewEgg where I buy most of my electronics. We shall see how it looks when it arrives, hopefully I can see the keys. I think i will try and get the Cd to Win7 from 3rd party refurb co. so i can use it in future.

cakewalk26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakewalk26

oooh, nice aside. thanks!

anyone have any idea how the square trade warranty works on these? their site says they don't cover refurbs.

honeymoose

Does anyone know the complete model number on the Lenovo 410? Some 410's have it, and some don't...Bluetooth isn't mentioned in the specs

dougcoates

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougcoates

I bought a refurb laptop for a friend just before Christmas. It came with a broken case, as in plastic pieces falling off of the unit.

It has to have been put into the box while it was broken because it was clear from the packaging that it had not been damaged in shipping.

I have asked WOOT to arrange for a return and refund THREE TIMES, and never once have they responded beyond the automated acknowledgement of the support request.

The first of the 3 requests was 20 days ago. I am now having to dispute the $500 charge with AMEX.

Have others had this type of experience with WOOT? I'm a regular buyer but this is the first time I've had to ask for a refund.

Now I'm not sure I'll continue to buy from them.

honeymoose

I have had to request support with Woot before, when I was shipped the wrong item. They refunded my purchase price and shipping immediately (because they didn't have any more of the original item in stock) and then told me there was no need for me to send the wrong item back.

dougcoates wrote:I bought a refurb laptop for a friend just before Christmas. It came with a broken case, as in plastic pieces falling off of the unit.

It has to have been put into the box while it was broken because it was clear from the packaging that it had not been damaged in shipping.

I have asked WOOT to arrange for a return and refund THREE TIMES, and never once have they responded beyond the automated acknowledgement of the support request.

The first of the 3 requests was 20 days ago. I am now having to dispute the $500 charge with AMEX.

Have others had this type of experience with WOOT? I'm a regular buyer but this is the first time I've had to ask for a refund.

Now I'm not sure I'll continue to buy from them.

pupdog5oh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pupdog5oh
kazper wrote:I am not a fan of this no cd (optical) drive trend. Have I used an optical drive lately? Not really. Do I still use it? Yes! In my opinion it makes buying a laptop more difficult because it is yet another thing I will have to pay attention to when buying one. And it is not usually mentioned until you get to the detailed specs

It states in Features and Specs section that it has a SuperMulti DVD±RW...

aotheoverlord

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aotheoverlord

For the record (and the next woot), the ASUS is expandable to 32GB, not 16GB. (I know, I have 32GB in mine.) The issue is that windows home doesn't recognize more than 16GB. Just install a real OS (Linux) and you'll be fine. Or pay an even larger MS-tax and go for the top of the line windows. (Ehrm, can't believe I just put "top of the line" and "windows" in the same sentence...

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
binna wrote:Anyone considering purchasing an ENVY, beware of the hinges problem - Google or read Amazon reviews. I was happy with mine for 14 months, than it broke - after the warranty expired. At least invest in extra warranty.

@binna, interesting you mention hinges - HP had the same issue on a 'DMR' series (similar to Envy pricing) we had. Crazy thing was, the hinge itself didn't break - the hinge is screwed to the top (display) case into fragile plastic. So even tho the cover of the case is metal, the screws strip out of the plastic, destroying the top. Since the HP repair cost was higher than the value of the laptop, had to search eBay for a replacement top half to install.

Moral of the story: be delicate with laptop displays. Never pick them up by the display. Always open and close from the top middle or with two hands if yours has stiff hinges.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
melias wrote:The description for the "Dell Latitude E4310 13.3" Laptop, Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA - (Off Lease)" says no web cam but the picture shows a webcam, can anyone confirm with or without?

@melias, since "Off-Lease" means it was almost definitely in a corporate environment, many companies used to spec all laptops without webcams for security/privacy reasons. Seems kinda silly now that every phone has a camera.

Of course high security R&D facilities still sometimes require that a camera be physically disabled in order to be allowed into the facility.

Similarly, some companies actually paid a higher price to spec very low capacity hard drives - to limit the amount of data lurking outside of network drives.

originalmaxter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages originalmaxter

So apparently the t410's are all shipping with no refurb win 7 pro on them.

Mine was also quite filthy right out of the box.

I have contacted the refurb company as per the instructions but I'm still waiting on the reply. Not cool Woot.

subether

quality posts: 3 Private Messages subether

I received my Thinkpad T410 last night. Mine appears to be in very good condition. Mine did not come with bluetooth on board , which can be easily fixed. Still giving it the burn-in test, but early indications are good.

brentostrowski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentostrowski

Just received my Lenovo T410. This one booted fine and installed Win7P (no-bloat) without a hitch. One problem was the touchpad does not work. I looked into this and drivers will not fix because even the bios is not recognizing that a ultranav synaptics device even exists. Need a quick return as this gift purchase was very much needed by a high school student.

manhandsha

quality posts: 32 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

brentostrowski wrote:Just received my Lenovo T410. This one booted fine and installed Win7P (no-bloat) without a hitch. One problem was the touchpad does not work. I looked into this and drivers will not fix because even the bios is not recognizing that a ultranav synaptics device even exists. Need a quick return as this gift purchase was very much needed by a high school student.

Please email support@woot.com with your order number, user name and situation. Additionally, please check the sale page from 'Stuff You Bought' in your account to see who carries the warranty. If it's the manufacturer, you might want to reach out to them, too. Hope that helps.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

LnkZ10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LnkZ10

My W-510 arrived last Friday, stuck pixels, stuck wireless switch, non-functioning USB, and a wireless card that refuses to connect to any network. The refurbishing company has tried to help, but has now resorted to insulting my intelligence. I'm so pleased...

I have submitted a support claim to Woot, so I expect Woot will handle it as well as I've seen them handle everything.

Update Saturday Feb 1: The laptop mysteriously repaired itself. I guess... everything is alright?