WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tablets

Still holding out for a tablet, huh? You did the right thing by waiting. Prices are lower, and there are more models to choose from. But if you wait one day longer, you're making a terrible mistake. Right now is the optimal point on the curve. We could show you a graph that proves it but we left it in our other pants.

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0

I have a Nexus and I hate the thing. I regret that purchase so much. I have constant problems with recharging and rapid battery drain. The wifi is... erratic. The touchscreen likes to lock up (well, the whole THING likes to lock up). My husband has a Samsung that we love, so it isn't just the Android OS (my phones have all been Android as well).

Hands down, though, the biggest thing I hate about it is also my fault -- the front-facing-only camera. I just... didn't notice that detail in the specs.

Now, anyone got anything to say about the Acers?

tanders04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanders04
SunnyLea0 wrote:I have a Nexus and I hate the thing. I regret that purchase so much. I have constant problems with recharging and rapid battery drain. The wifi is... erratic. The touchscreen likes to lock up (well, the whole THING likes to lock up). My husband has a Samsung that we love, so it isn't just the Android OS (my phones have all been Android as well).

Hands down, though, the biggest thing I hate about it is also my fault -- the front-facing-only camera. I just... didn't notice that detail in the specs.

For the record you're referencing the Gen 1 Nexus and these are the Gen 2.

aceyvw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceyvw

I have a gen 1 Nexus and I like it alot. The only thing I concur on is the battery drain since 4.4 kitkat. It is app specific when It didnt have the issue before with 4.3

As for the Acer A700, I bought one of those here last July and had issues within 3 months. The proprietary charger and connector on the tab is the issue. The connector on the tablet has issues. Then it overheats the charger connector and ruins that too. Replacement or a second proprietary chargers are hard to find. Currently trying to get it repaired under warranty.

Performance wise the A700 isn't bad. The tegra 3 with 1 gb of memory is very usable but the 1920x1200 display pushing the hardware to its max. It also gets quite warm depending on how intensive the apps you are running are.

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0
tanders04 wrote:For the record you're referencing the Gen 1 Nexus and these are the Gen 2.

Oops.

Battery drain has not been solely a Kit Kat issue with me -- about every other update seems to make the problem crop up. I expect the next incremental update will fix it and the one after that will break it again.

Thanks for the info on the Acer tabs. I hate proprietary chargers with a passion. Of course, I think the Samsung products are proprietary, too.

korhalx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages korhalx

I have the gen 1 and i love it. Runs very smooth and the graphics are a plus. I don't use it daily so i don't really notice the rapid battery drain. Really tempted to buy the refurbished 16gig and give my old one to my daughter.

Stovila

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stovila

I bought this last thanksgiving, $190 for 16GB, New at Staples.

Love the clarity of the display, however the touch screen, is quite tricky when typing. I hope they have a system to calibrate the typing pattern of each user though. Also it's quite slippery (without a case).

Speedwise, it is fast! Battery life also very good.

Visit my Blog ^^

All in one review center.

jsp2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsp2000

I know many of you will find this shocking, but the el-cheapo $49 Polaroid tablet is junk. I bought one in October and gave it to my daughter as a stocking-stuffer for Christmas. It may have lasted through three charge cycles before the charge port went bad.

It did handle Minecraft PE fairly well until it broke, though.

conman77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages conman77
jsp2000 wrote:I know many of you will find this shocking, but the el-cheapo $49 Polaroid tablet is junk. I bought one in October and gave it to my daughter as a stocking-stuffer for Christmas. It may have lasted through three charge cycles before the charge port went bad.

It did handle Minecraft PE fairly well until it broke, though.

Thanks for the review. I was eyeing those up for a project at work, where we would need smaller (5"-7") handheld with a rear facing camera. It would only run one website.

CplCowbell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CplCowbell

I have a TF300T. It makes a brilliant lightweight remote desktop terminal, with Splashtop.
That said, I've had two keyboard docks die on me in less than a year (one was due to a minor spill, and the other was inexplicable).
I loved it while it worked, but dock quality seems pretty suspect.

sammyc521

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sammyc521

It's been over a year since I've purchased from Woot. I haven't had the best of luck with the refurbished items that I've bought since they've all needed to be returned due to the fact they were either DOA or faulty.

3rd times a charm.

"Go for Broke"

troopr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troopr

Does this tablet have GPS and or sim card slots (3G)

carmelsmiths

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carmelsmiths

Have an Acer a1 8inch. Great tablet for 170. Not an iPad mini by any means but the mini USB, SD, and HDMI out connectivity give you so much bang for your buck.

SunnyLea0 wrote:I have a Nexus and I hate the thing. I regret that purchase so much. I have constant problems with recharging and rapid battery drain. The wifi is... erratic. The touchscreen likes to lock up (well, the whole THING likes to lock up). My husband has a Samsung that we love, so it isn't just the Android OS (my phones have all been Android as well).

iandick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iandick

I wouldn't buy a refurb from woot. I bought the Gen 1 Nexus and it did not work when it arrived. I've been trying diligently to contact woot customer service/support but all you ever get is a case number auto reply. I made a comment on another community message board of woots yesterday stating my fustration with woots customer service and presto...i received an email from customer service. Only they didn't answer my question from my three previuos emails about my defective item. Woots message board monitor saw my comments and wanted to know if something was wrong. I replied to their email (which was asking what was wrong) and told them that their was something wrong and I forwarded them all my previous emails stating the same thing. Guess what I got as a reply...?...another case number from an auto email. What a croc!! For all you business owners and sales people looking to lose business for 2014 and beyond...take a lesson from woot on how to piss people off. Instead of simply replying in a timely and orderly manner when a customer has a legitimate complaint...wait until they are so fed up with your customer service communication that they write nasty comments on your website for all other current and potential clients to see. Then once the damage is far worse...now provide the lost customer with some support. BRILLIANT BUSINESS MODEL!!

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

Regarding the Transformer Infinity. Best keyboard ever. Best idea to put extra battery in the keyboard, ever. Most beautiful IPS screen (better than my iPad) ever. Best looking tablet and matching keyboard/dock ever! Best return and refund ever (Android just hesitates, crashes, reboots and crashes -- get yourself an iPad).

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

iandick: I'm sorry for the frustration. I'll email CS to let them know of your concerns. Thank you for your patience.

UPDATE: could you pls check your spam/junk folders. CS has emailed you prior to this and not received any response.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mowtay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mowtay

Bought the Asus 700 offered here with the keyboard dock back in april refurbed from woot. The battery life was a third to half of advertised, and then perhaps the fifth time I went to use the tablet, the screen spontaneously shattered just from picking it up pinched between thumb and pointer finger by its corner (upper left as facing); Turns out this is a known problem, which woot didn't warn about, so I will.

vnisman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vnisman

I have got both the Vizio and the Asus Transformer from Woot.

The Vizio is a decent tablet for the money - great to give to a kid to play with. The problem with them though is their WiFi is so weak that it is almost useless.

The Transformer seems like a really nice Tablet except it stopped working in 1 week. It is back at Asus for repairs as it stopped charging or starting up. Have no idea when and if I am going to get it back...
Asus Customer Service is horrible.

Don't recommend either one of these "deals".