zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]

Dyson DC25 Multi Floor Upright Ball Vacuum - Yellow
Price: $229.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Jan 15 to Thursday, Jan 16) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Check out some reviews from Overstock

bgammill

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bgammill

Gee I usually just use a wash cloth and some soap, to clean mine. But, hey if you want to vacuum yours, more power to you!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3157 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at target.com and TONS of great reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at meijer.com

Let's learn how to fix your Dyson

and learn how to clean your filters

billnuts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billnuts

I can tell you that after a recent trip to the emergency room the Dyson Ball Cleaner is very misleading name...

wootdougwoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wootdougwoot

It's Dyson or nothing when it come to my carpets and floors...

I mean , once you go Dyson,
You never go...ummmm ... bison???

Duhg

Has anyone seen my velociraptor?

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

Question for Dyson owners/users : Do these need more repair than other vacuums ?

alphatrio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphatrio
ceagee wrote:Question for Dyson owners/users : Do these need more repair than other vacuums ?

The answer is yes. I'm at my second replacement roller for the last 3 years. The roller is made of low heat plastic with embedded ball-bearing roller at one end. This end gets melted and the metal piece recessed further into the roller core. The end cap that accepts the roller made of even cheaper plastic also got melted. Replacement parts cost around $40 for both -- available at Dyson site. Its suction is not as good as that of a $150 Hoover or Eureka. The positive is being lite and replacement easy to find.

fat50strat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fat50strat
alphatrio wrote:The answer is yes. I'm at my second replacement roller for the last 3 years. The roller is made of low heat plastic with embedded ball-bearing roller at one end. This end gets melted and the metal piece recessed further into the roller core. The end cap that accepts the roller made of even cheaper plastic also got melted. Replacement parts cost around $40 for both -- available at Dyson site. Its suction is not as good as that of a $150 Hoover or Eureka. The positive is being lite and replacement easy to find.

Thank you, obligatory person on woot that hates Dyson. I, on the other hand, have had my DC17 for over 3 years now and the performance has not declined at all, nor has any part shown any signs of degradation. I have also taken apart the root cyclones at the top recently to see if my Dyson suffered from the clogging I had seen on youtube. I am not as negligent as those people it would seem, because it was clean and still functions as it should. Dysons have much suction, which is good for clean carpets.

I was drunk for my first woot...now I can't stop coming here.

bcb1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bcb1

I have the Dyson DC28 Airmuscle (not the ball model), but in principle most Dysons have the same basic features.

I love my Dyson - I got mine on Woot about two years ago and it's still going strong. It does a great job on hardwood, tile, and carpet. Easy to clean. The animal attachment makes cleaning pet hair off the couch and the bed easy.

Tip: about every 10 uses, instead of simply dumping the dust bin; I take the plastic cover completely off and use my air compressor to blow out the entire cyclone assembly. It only takes an extra couple minutes and it keeps the suction nice and strong by getting rid of all gunk that clogs up the cyclone.

If mine ever goes belly up; I'll definitely replace it with another Dyson. I see that Consumer Reports rated the LG Kompressor very high; and you can find those used/refurb on ebay for $85. It's tempting to buy one just for the upstairs level or the basement; simply so I don't have to drag my Dyson up and down the stairs!

vlegran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vlegran
alphatrio wrote:The answer is yes. I'm at my second replacement roller for the last 3 years. The roller is made of low heat plastic with embedded ball-bearing roller at one end. This end gets melted and the metal piece recessed further into the roller core. The end cap that accepts the roller made of even cheaper plastic also got melted. Replacement parts cost around $40 for both -- available at Dyson site. Its suction is not as good as that of a $150 Hoover or Eureka. The positive is being lite and replacement easy to find.

I bought the Dyson Animal on here 2 years ago, reconditioned and the head panel went out just before Christmas! Costs more to fix it than its worth! Never buy a Dyson again. And of course its out of warranty! They won't honor it!

cedick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cedick

I had my dyson a little over a year and had to toss it. It lost suction and I could not dismantle it enough to get to what was blocking the suction. (Never losses suction…Ha)You can't really take it apart to get to the issue. I bought the Shark and you can easily take it apart to get to an obstruction. Would never buy a dyson again.

bcb1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bcb1
vlegran wrote:I bought the Dyson Animal on here 2 years ago, reconditioned and the head panel went out just before Christmas! Costs more to fix it than its worth! Never buy a Dyson again. And of course its out of warranty! They won't honor it!

On my Dyson Animal DC28, it wouldn't switch between the 3 modes - it would only stay on the medium setting; so I called Dyson - they shipped me a replacement box; I shipped the vacuum back to them and they sent me a new one. It's a shame that they wouldn't honor the warranty on yours.

nccatbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nccatbert
ceagee wrote:Question for Dyson owners/users : Do these need more repair than other vacuums ?

I bought a reconditioned Dyson Ball 4 years ago. I've had no problems, and the machine REALLY does a great job.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning Wooters! Pls feel free to debate and hate Dysons but don't make it personal, pls. Insults aren't necessary.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

philgo26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philgo26

I see refurbished Dysons on Woot alot. Are they worth it? Do they break quickly?

seraphina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seraphina

The "refurb" Dyson I got was obviously brand new, or open box or something like that. It had absolutely no signs of any wear. I LOVE it, and would never have anything else!

~Seraphina

bdutton

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bdutton

I got mine on woot last year. Its a good lightweight vacuum. Only caveat is that you need to empty the chamber everytime and also clean the filter. I neglected the filter for about 9 months and the suction sucked (pun intended). Once I cleaned the filter (rinse in warm water and knead it like bread) and let it dry for 24 hours, the suction was excellent.

britmanbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages britmanbob

If Dyson vacs are so good, why are there so soooooo many refurbished ones on Woot? Just want to know.

MNBeta03

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MNBeta03

These Dyson refurbs com up on Woot! too often. That should tell you all something about the quality. Cheap plastic components don't last.

If you are considering Dyson go with a Shark... cheap plastic also but works just as good. And for the price you can get it at department stores with a 20% coupon (you should know which store by that hint) it makes it almost disposable if it lasts 2-3 years or more.

my3sonshines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages my3sonshines

So does this NOT come with Dyson's usual 5 year warranty on parts and service? I can't figure out where to ask this question.

inod3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages inod3

Has anyone ever tried a bagged vacuum?

my3sonshines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages my3sonshines

How long have you had it?

seraphina wrote:The "refurb" Dyson I got was obviously brand new, or open box or something like that. It had absolutely no signs of any wear. I LOVE it, and would never have anything else!

ike0069

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ike0069

I bought a DC14 refurbed from Amazon 5+ years ago for a house that is all carpet. Have had zero issues, very happy.

The ball version does seem to give more problems than other models, but otherwise Dyson's are great if not paying full retail price.

ike0069

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ike0069
inod3 wrote:Has anyone ever tried a bagged vacuum?

We had a "bagged" Hoover before the Dyson. It definitely lost suction as bag filled.

Much prefer bagless, and dust released during emptying is minimal without Dyson.

timcurry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timcurry

Got this exact model a couple of years ago on Woot. Steady use on a number of different surfaces - thick wool rugs, thin silk ones, lots of transitions to the wood floor they're sitting on, even some vinyl in the bathroom. Great suction, great performance. I'd do it again.

ahpagano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahpagano

I am a vacuum whore. Hoarder. Something like that. My Dyson is one of...let me see...four vacuums presently in my house. I have a DC15 purchased from Woot in 2007 or early 2008 and I love it. It is a bit heavy, not sure how it compares with the model offered. At one point, we had five children and two dogs in our house, with a big yard and a creek - so I am familiar with attempting to manage dirt and pet hair. The Dyson comes closest to achieving that. It truly never loses suction. Random Lego pieces flee in terror. My bagged Hoover canister, on the other hand, definitely loses suction as the bag fills. And it always seems to need replacing when I have no extra bags on hand. I have replaced the roller on my Dyson once - by myself, no need to send it out for repair - and I have replaced attachments chewed by one of said dogs. I guess at some point I ought to clean or replace the filter. Eek.

As for bed bugs, ew. I don't think you want those inside any vacuum, bagged or bagless.

ThunderThighs

Staff

my3sonshines wrote:So does this NOT come with Dyson's usual 5 year warranty on parts and service? I can't figure out where to ask this question.

The warranty is stated at the bottom of the Features tab. It's a 6-month Dyson warranty.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bleeper4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bleeper4

We got a new DC25 4 and a half years ago when we got married. Washed the filter every 4-6 months and it's still running strong, and my favorite vacuum to date!

Mongerty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mongerty

The Dyson refurb I bought my mom for Christmas has worked great. It was super clean and you wouldn't have known it was a refurb except for the box it came in.

It hasn't been long enough for me to build a comment on the brand as a whole, but hopefully that allieviates some concern on refurb vs new.

mykexyz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mykexyz

I don't know about the newer ones, but we have a DC 14 Animal (Same as normal + add on attachments) that is going on 7 years. The only 2 things wrong with it are:

1 - I once tripped over the cord and yanked it off the cord holder, this broke off the little cord flap. Superglued that back on.

2 - Just a few months ago, I was using the extension and pulled too hard while the Dyson was stuck on a door sill - it finally made it over, but with too much force and toppled. It landed on the side of the little cap that covers the telescoping arm when you aren't using it, and broke that off. I haven't bothered fixing because it isn't integral.

No issues other than that. I wash the filter once every few months and occasionally take the whole bin out (Rather than just dropping the contents into a garbage) to shake in the backyard.

So the Plastic can definitely be an issue if you subject it to abuse. Of course, I will say, I have also dropped it down the stairs (don't ask) and nothing broke. So it isn't exactly delicate.

options01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages options01

I'm not a vacuum snob.. but I prefer our Miele canister. My wife wanted a Dyson, so we got the ball vacuum new from Target.

*The beaters work better on carpet than the Miele does now.. but it's 8 years old.. and we can get a new head for $100.

*Miele does loose suction as the bag fills.. but the suction can be adjusted when needed, which works better for rugs.

However, Dyson, can't suck up popcorn kernels or loose staples off the hardwood floors.
*The wand doesn't extend as easily, one component broke on the wand, which Dyson replaced quickly.
*Canister clogs and debris needs to be manually pulled out (sometimes - not always).

*My wife likes it, but if there is ever broken glass.. we both go to the Miele canister with a bag.

For the price, I thought the Dyson should have been made better, with less hard plastic.

chad

ThunderThighs

Staff

For those asking why there are Dysons available as factory reconditioned:

There are a few reasons:

New Dysons have a 5-yr warranty. Dyson often just takes back the vacuum and sends them a factory recertified one as a replacement.

They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee if you buy from their site.

There's also places like Costco that will take back anything for any reason.

Programs like these put machines back in the marketplace.

ambeames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ambeames

Dyson totally sucks....the dirt out of your carpet. (Had you for sec there, didn't I?) I mean that as a compliment, of course - it really, really sucks the dirt/debris/Legos out of your carpet. It nearly sucked the carpet out of our carpet, actually...

We have the DC14 and love it - no problems with durability, even after 3 1/2 years and two moves (which are the equivalent of a few extra years to the ownership, in my humble option, as no one can jostle and tumble your items quite like military movers).

I'm never going Bison.

nicparadis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nicparadis
inod3 wrote:Has anyone ever tried a bagged vacuum?

We use a bagged Kenmore Elite from Sears. Not an upright, the type with a body, then a hose and pole, with switchable heads. We had owned several brands of uprights prior to this and this cleans hard floors better/more easily than any of them.

adilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adilla

Add me to the list of satisfied customers who've purchased this exact model from woot (mine in 05/2012).

It did appear to be a "new" vacuum (i.e. the factory refurbishment was very good).

The vacuum works great on our hardwood and rugs of all pile (the ability to turn of the beater is nice for our wood). I clean the filters as recommended and haven't had any problems at all.

Minor annoyance is the hose is at times difficult to extend to it's maximum but not a dealbreaker even for my wife who uses that feature the most.

Definitely recommend.

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57

Not necessarily knocking Dyson...but how is this such a deal? Granted, it's a better price than I've seen elsewhere for a refurb — but that means it carries a six-month warranty.

For another $150 (it's selling for $379 new at Wal-Mart) you get another 4 1/2 years of peace of mind. Tough to argue with the math.

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee
ThunderThighs wrote:

They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee if you buy from their site.

Is the Square Trade 1 year in addition to the 6 months from Dyson ?

Thanks

angelofchaos99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelofchaos99

Woot, I know your description writers are trying to be funny, but it's truly irresponsible of you to suggest this vacuum cleaner for bed bugs. No bag means that bugs could be easily spread by emptying the waste compartment. Plus, the filters are washable/reusable. Normally this is environmentally friendly, frugal, and sensible. With bed bugs it would just be another method of spreading them around.

And no, the stigma isn't outdated. It's like avoiding someone with a highly contagious illness. One that can cost thousands of dollars to cure. Sorry infested folks, nothing personal. I wouldn't hug someone with head lice, either.