WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Cat Furniture

Here's the catch: No matter what you get for your cats, they will play with and sleep on the thing they're not supposed to. So really you should get TWO of these cat trees and talk a lot about how you want the cats to play with one of them, so they do it with the other. 

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia

Bought this almost three years ago for my cats off Amazon. It has a somewhat large footprint, but even in my 900 sq ft apartment, it wasn't too big for a corner. They stay out of trouble with it...except when they fight for who gets the top tier on the tree...

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

skail

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skail

What's the deal with the covering material, nowadays? When last I bought a cat tree, everything was still carpet with either carpeted or rope-covered pillars. However, when I've been looking over the last year, it seems everything has gone to some weird (edit: faux fur) fabric instead of carpeting. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to this material? Some Amazon reviews (of other towers) suggest that it doesn't last as long.

Buckets of Chum acquired on: 18JUN2013, 22AUG2013, 17FEB2014... and always seeking more!

rciag

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rciag
skail wrote:What's the deal with the covering material, nowadays? When last I bought a cat tree, everything was still carpet with either carpeted or rope-covered pillars. However, when I've been looking over the last year, it seems everything has gone to some weird (edit: faux fur) fabric instead of carpeting. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to this material? Some Amazon reviews (of other towers) suggest that it doesn't last as long.

I don't know about faux fur. My cats seem to prefer carpet to furry things.

I have a cat tree from over 20 years ago & it's still going strong but it took that many years for the carpet to finally fail & it was more that it dry rotted than anything else. I could see the fur just coming unstuck or thinning a lot faster.

And some of these say they're just covered in "ivory" whatever that means. In fact, what does that mean?

ba1980

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ba1980

Would a cat without front claws have any problem reaching the upper parts (of the 78 inch one)?

Canon 7D, 40D - Canon 100-400mm L IS, 1.5x Kenko TC, Canon 500mm f4 L IS, 60mm Macro

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

Search the web, and you'll discover that you can build a better cat tree in an afternoon for far less money. All you need are some carpet scraps, cardboard tubes (Used for concrete forms, available at any major home repair place), some sisal rope (For clawing), Gorilla glue, and lots of patience.

(Sorry, cat not included!)

ceagee

quality posts: 63 Private Messages ceagee
skail wrote:What's the deal with the covering material, nowadays? When last I bought a cat tree, everything was still carpet with either carpeted or rope-covered pillars. However, when I've been looking over the last year, it seems everything has gone to some weird (edit: faux fur) fabric instead of carpeting. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to this material? Some Amazon reviews (of other towers) suggest that it doesn't last as long.

My cats can't stand this plush faux fur or whatever it is on the trees. They want some nice berber to claw up and grip. Plus it lasts longer and doesn't look so cheesy. It's cheap hence the switch by manufacturers.
Some of the carpeted ones these days are made of crappy carpet the falls apart the minute a claw goes in it too, so.... one must be discerning.

Hey Woot! PTB-- Please get us some high quality cat trees. Thank you .

rascul22

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rascul22

I got one of these last time, and my cats love it. They only claw at the sisal rope columns though, and sleep on the "fur" platforms. It was easy to put together, sturdy, and honestly an excellent deal compared to what I see in the big pet stores! I am very happy with my purchase and so are my felines!

OssiansFolly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OssiansFolly
mvsopen wrote:Search the web, and you'll discover that you can build a better cat tree in an afternoon for far less money. All you need are some carpet scraps, cardboard tubes (Used for concrete forms, available at any major home repair place), some sisal rope (For clawing), Gorilla glue, and lots of patience.

(Sorry, cat not included!)

I don't know about you, but my time is worth at least $15/hr so unless I can build most of these pieces in under 4 hours I am betting it is better to just buy it and move on.

rgarnier

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rgarnier
rciag wrote:And some of these say they're just covered in "ivory" whatever that means. In fact, what does that mean?

That appears to be a typo? At this link, they describe cover material as "Faux fur, Sisal rope." This particular tree seems to get good reviews there, with 4 1/2 out of 5 stars over 109 reviews. http://www.wayfair.com/Armarkat-72-Classic-Cat-Tree-in-Beige-A7202-ATM1009.html

BigRedDogATL

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BigRedDogATL

I bought one of these from Woot and wish that I didn't. They are flimsy and not well made. The vertical risers are unstable and my large cat is afraid of the instability of the unit, so he won't use it. The platforms are made of press board and bend easily. All in all, these are NOT worth it and should be avoided.

In addition, it took Woot over 3 weeks the ship the one I ordered. When I tried to cancel the order after a week, Woot didn't respond for two more weeks and the day after they shipped it, so the order couldn't be cancelled.

AGAIN, DON'T ORDER THESE!!!!!

tpals

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpals

I got one of these the last time Woot offered them. My young cats love it and fling themselves around wildly on it. No instability problems.

sunnysideup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunnysideup

I bought the Armarkat Classic Cat Tree 65" A6501 at Christmas a year ago for a large Maine coon cat. Easy to put together, very stable and she loves it. Even took it apart to use at a cat babysitter while we were on vacation. Easy to do and put back together when home and looks about the same as when we bought it. She constantly is rolling around on that highest ledge entertaining herself. No problems and recommend.

I'll add that I paid more for mine on another website and it's worth every penny. Looks good in the living room vs. some wood and carpet project.

kitcatbrat

quality posts: 23 Private Messages kitcatbrat

Did anybody else read this in a Jerry Seinfeld voice?

6putt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6putt

When I saw, "Cat Furniture" I got all excited and thought it was some secrete code for something really cool, then I found out they really do make furniture for cats.......who would have thunk it?

imika

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imika

Got the Armarkat Classic Cat Tree 65" A6501 about 2 years ago for my two cats on Amazon. Overall, pretty happy with it. My cats are pretty active, so I had to tighten the screws a few times. And they tore off the little balls within a few weeks.

Tragically, they do not bother with the hammock or the little hut. They're too cool for anything adorable.

danielm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danielm
6putt wrote:... then I found out they really do make furniture for cats.......who would have thunk it?

Agreed, I had visions of my cat pulling out a mini sleeper sofa to lie on....

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

BigRedDogATL wrote:I bought one of these from Woot and wish that I didn't. They are flimsy and not well made. The vertical risers are unstable and my large cat is afraid of the instability of the unit, so he won't use it. The platforms are made of press board and bend easily. All in all, these are NOT worth it and should be avoided.

In addition, it took Woot over 3 weeks the ship the one I ordered. When I tried to cancel the order after a week, Woot didn't respond for two more weeks and the day after they shipped it, so the order couldn't be cancelled.

AGAIN, DON'T ORDER THESE!!!!!

Sorry you aren't happy with it.

It is hard for us to cancel orders as we release them for processing every couple hours.

I see that it shipped on the 3rd business day after your order and arrived on the 5th business day after that. I'm sure the delays of the two holidays and weekends made it seem longer though.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

6putt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6putt
danielm wrote:Agreed, I had visions of my cat pulling out a mini sleeper sofa to lie on....

Or a, "Calico-uch"?

flipchik0037

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flipchik0037

I bought the Armarkat A6202 Armarkat 62" Classic Cat Tree Beige for my cat over a year ago and he loves it! He'll nap in the little hut, or sit on the top shelf or tube and stare out the window for hours. The sisal rope legs on all 3 tiers allow him to fully stretch and scratch. He doesn't care for the hammock at the bottom, but I've found it to be a good place to gather all the cat toys.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

We have a giant armarkat model purchased from overstock (yikes don't fall for their deals promising future gift cards or coupons they're crap) when they were on sale during black friday. The quality of construction is great, quite sturdy, and it went together almost without a hitch.

Had to carefully thread two posts together with the large two-end bolt because it was tight tolerances but once I figured out how far to screw the connecting bolts in, it cinched up just fine.

We have a 7 month old kitten so he's not huge yet but I'm sure the tree will do fine. The lowest quality wood on our unit is high density fiber board, which is still quite strong, and that's just the ramps. the platforms are at least 9-ply pressboard and visible parts have a wood veneer so you aren't looking at ugly plywood if you peek inside. no chip board crap or anything.

Hardware is clean and easy to thread, and well mounted. I was pleased the hardware was shiny and well cut.

My only gripe is the "faux fur" isn't nearly as thick as I thought it would be. As far as thickness is concerned, it feels like as a layer or two of cheap fleece blanket, stuck on top of wood. Durable enough, but you can hear claws on wood when the cat goes crazy. Probably doesn't hurt to wear claws down a bit trying to grip though. I just didn't expect to hear cat paws drum the boards or claws scraping wood.

That being said on other trees, I'd imagine anything but a very dense and strong carpet would rip to shreds like the cheap $20 cat scratcher we have.

So either this thin faux fur is good, or some seriously durable and dense carpet that has NO loops. Shag, or velvet, I suppose?
I have felt some trees at petco that have lush carpet that would soften the cat's play, but I wonder how that kind of carpet handles aggressive clawing. Probably does well but will cost more.

Moving on, there's real signs of premature aging on the thing since black friday, and the cat has learned to jump from platforms rather than cling. He claws and climbs posts instead, so it's probably going to last a long time.

Looks nice, too.

scottmillersb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottmillersb

Anyone else notice this?

Covering Material: Ivory
Covering Color: Beige

Just how many elephants does it take to make one of these?

lizardrebel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lizardrebel
ba1980 wrote:Would a cat without front claws have any problem reaching the upper parts (of the 78 inch one)?

If kitty can jump into your lap, kitty can jump from level to level to get to the top of the trees.

kralo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kralo

I purchased this exact tree several years ago. Within a couple of weeks it looked bad. This material does not hold up... I'll stick with carpet from here on out. It may cost a little more but is well worth it not to have a cat tree that you have to hide when people come over...

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 080669

Amarkat is only so so at best.

My first tree was from Amarkat. My second was from http://www.wadescattrees.com/ and was by far the better purchase. These trees are sturdy, well constructed, better designed, and Wade will build one to your specifications.

kidsforever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kidsforever

It came, its together, looks nice...Here kitty, kitty!

jpheather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpheather

We've got three 12-15 lb older cats (10-13 years old). They love their 78 inch version with the condo. It handles their weight fine, and several at a time on the post are not a problem (except when they start batting at each other, but the tree holds up fine).

But they love the silly ball that hangs down on the elastic most.

All three have been hanging out on it, although one has the attitude "if you see me playing I'm gone."

Their old cat post is totally frayed and they seem to have transferred their affection to this one. Saves the furniture.