WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Art from the Masters: Framed Hand Painted Reproductions

We like to support up-and-coming artists here on Woot. That's why we went out and found a bunch of hot young painters and offered them a sale on our site. When they declined, we decided to sell reproductions instead.

andycool22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andycool22

''detail-by-detail to near perfection'' compared side by side with the original, this painting is nowhere close.

Woof! Wage: $927.75 as of 12/2/2010...someone send me to Woof!!aholics Anonymous...

suzyhannah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyhannah

I would think we want to purchase art from famous, sick, older artist. That is where your value is going to be. Young artist usually have a long way to go before their work is valuable.

elwoodjblues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elwoodjblues

Anyone have one of those and can speak to if they actually look nice? I am a bit reluctant to buy -even hand painted- knockoff art, if it actually looks like a cheap knockoff. (And yes I realize that it is obvious that it's a knockoff given my paycheck doesn't enable me to buy a real Van Gogh -- but there's a substantial difference between having to be fake and *looking* fake).

sushiboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sushiboy

I noticed a lot of differences when comparing the images of the original to the reproductions. Different colors are used on portions of the painting, details aren't accurate, and the biggest difference is that it's not as good as the original. Google it and see for yourself.

cplaw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cplaw

I got one, and I was not overwhelmed by the quality.

elwoodjblues wrote:Anyone have one of those and can speak to if they actually look nice? I am a bit reluctant to buy -even hand painted- knockoff art, if it actually looks like a cheap knockoff. (And yes I realize that it is obvious that it's a knockoff given my paycheck doesn't enable me to buy a real Van Gogh -- but there's a substantial difference between having to be fake and *looking* fake).

gtown06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtown06

I would be weary of buying art on woot.com. I recently ordered two triptychs and got the wrong ones. I have contacted customer service and have not gotten any response. Be very careful.

If a woot staff member reads this, my case # is: CAS-XXX ...
some kind of response would be nice.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 133 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

gtown06 wrote:I would be weary of buying art on woot.com. I recently ordered two triptychs and got the wrong ones. I have contacted customer service and have not gotten any response. Be very careful.

If a woot staff member reads this, my case # is: CAS-XXX ...
some kind of response would be nice.

Maybe not a great response, but I will send your case # along to CS and hopefully they will be able to help you pretty soon!

dkulkis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkulkis

Reproduct....er....uh, you mean, "FORGERY".

Yeah....no thanks.

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial

A few years ago, 60 Minutes did a piece on this place in China where artists crank out hand-painted reproductions.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 38 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

A good quality photo reproduction of the original painting, printed on canvas, will look much much better than one of these knockoffs. Sometimes Woot sells those. And they're printed in the US, not China.

hartjo1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hartjo1

Mr. Melon, your wife was just showing us her Klimt.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

What?
Nothing from the famous artist 'Bill Griffith'???

Cloudscout

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cloudscout

I was hoping they would have the portrait of the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies by Van Klomp.

petersobrien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petersobrien
agingdragqueen wrote:Maybe not a great response, but I will send your case # along to CS and hopefully they will be able to help you pretty soon!

The word is "wary"= cautious, "weary" is tired and I am sure you are also tired of asking for an answer.

Tucker3434

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tucker3434

Ordered garden at giverny. It came in today. Looks pretty good, not great. At $160, I wasn't expecting perfection. Monet's style is pretty forgiving of mistakes. It's a nice painting to put on the wall, but nobody is going to think its a world famous masterpiece.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
dkulkis wrote:Reproduct....er....uh, you mean, "FORGERY".

Yeah....no thanks.

It's only a forgery if it is presented as the genuine article.

Go to see the Mona Lisa and you will find a half dozen artists copying it...the only restriction imposed by the gallery is that it not be the exact same size as the original.

Having said that, a good digital copy of the original, properly printed will probably look better than an art-factory assembly line from China.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.