WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

iPhones & iPods

If we were in charge of Apple's marketing, we'd get back to what really appeals to people: apples. Maybe some catchy slogans like "The finest Apples in the orchard!" or "Make a delicious Apple crisp!" would do the trick. We'll be waiting by our phone, Apple. 

HowardW188

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HowardW188

Be careful. This phone has no sim card slot and cannot be used with other services. Based on what I have read on the internet, a iphone with no SIM card slot cannot be unlocked. They will not take it back.

Howard W Harinstein

dangriffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dangriffin

Sad to see this price. My wife's iPhone 4S just died on her. She can buy a refurb iPhone from Verizon for the same price as here. Not a good deal.

nileguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nileguy

so this wont work outside the USA with a non US sim?

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller

I bought an iPhone from Woot a few months back. These unlocked phones are designed to work on Verizon's CDMA network or a reseller of Verizon's network such as PagePlus. I am now on a prepay plan and haven't looked back. Previously, I had an iPhone on AT&T's GSM network that required a sim card. While I had great service at my home, upon buying a second I discovered there was no service...phone wouldn't ring and people went into voicemail only to be discovered when we roamed to an area of AT&T coverage. Now we have great service at both homes. Did I mention we are also saving $60 a month over our previous plan?

bigruckus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bigruckus

WOOT.. should explain in more detail about this iphone..I can see people being stuck with one..be careful about buying this phone..…good luck if you have to return it to WOOT..try to find where to send it back..took me 6 weeks to refund my $..had to file a complaint w/Paypal to get my money back on some cameras..

Bigruckus

leggalamb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leggalamb

I bought this Iphone from woot last month. I switched from Tracfone which uses Verizon's network, so good coverage, but they had no good phones. I now use PagePlus and have same great coverage on the Verizon network, for same low cost, as Tracfone but with a tons nicer phone, so I'm happy!

bigruckus

Sounds like you made a good choice..

Bigruckus

bigruckus

So will these work on a Walmart Tracfone plan..??? Do these have a SIM card or are they CDMA phones…

Bigruckus

foodee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foodee

Is this refurbished phone's battery brand new or used?

foodee

bigruckus wrote:So will these work on a Walmart Tracfone plan..??? Do these have a SIM card or are they CDMA phones…

------------
I read that TRACFONE uses both Verizon and non-Verizon networks. You will have to contact TRACFONE to determine which network they use in your area. If they use Verizon, you should be good with this phone.

foodee

lroller wrote:I bought an iPhone from Woot a few months back. These unlocked phones are designed to work on Verizon's CDMA network or a reseller of Verizon's network such as PagePlus. I am now on a prepay plan and haven't looked back. Previously, I had an iPhone on AT&T's GSM network that required a sim card. While I had great service at my home, upon buying a second I discovered there was no service...phone wouldn't ring and people went into voicemail only to be discovered when we roamed to an area of AT&T coverage. Now we have great service at both homes. Did I mention we are also saving $60 a month over our previous plan?

---------
Was it hard to activate this iPhone 4 on Page Plus? If we purchase this phone, we plan to use it on Page Plus. Also, do you know if the battery is new or used for this refurbished phone? Thanks!

codex

quality posts: 9 Private Messages codex

Anyone know if these phones will work with Straight Talk prepaid plan?

Edit: According to the Straight Talk chat support, it won't. So there's that then.

My work here is done. Pedant-man, AWAAYYY!!!

jdubbs33325

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdubbs33325
codex wrote:Anyone know if these phones will work with Straight Talk prepaid plan?

Edit: According to the Straight Talk chat support, it won't. So there's that then.

I called and talked to a Straight talk rep & she said it would not work. Sounded like she was in India. Very difficult to understand so I got frustrated and didn;t get to tellig her the I Phine was unlocked.

lroller

foodee wrote:---------
Was it hard to activate this iPhone 4 on Page Plus? If we purchase this phone, we plan to use it on Page Plus. Also, do you know if the battery is new or used for this refurbished phone? Thanks!

Well, it can be a little daunting for those of us who grew-up with the big carriers handling everything...including the high cost for that service. However, it's really not that hard. If the people who live at WalMart can do it with their prepay plans, we can do it too. I would recommend you use a reseller for PagePlus such as Kitty Wireless located in Maine. They will walk you through the process almost to the point where you will shout "shut-up already". I only bought a one-month plan for my
Woot iPhone so I could determine if I had good coverage both in CT and FL. After determining that it worked in both places, I bought a Talk n Text plan for $29.99. I have it set up on the "auto-pay" feature, so once a month they automatically handle the purchase
of a new PIN each month. Frankly, I see no difference over my AT&T service for which I was paying $89.99 and my PagePlus/Verizon service except I now have a phone that works at both of my homes, instead of one, and is costing me $60.00 less each month. The money I am saving serves to underwrite the Verizon phone service I needed in my new winter home.I just got my brother to port his Verizon phone to PagePlus and also a member from a volunteer group, in which I am a member, to port his. It's not hard. The menu screen, at the top of my phone where you see the carriers' name now says Verizon.

lroller

foodee wrote:---------

Regarding the quality of the phones Woot is selling now I can't comment. However, the Woot phone I received arrived in a new Apple retail box that said "refurbished" as I recall. It was in pristine/new condition...no marks or anything. Far better than my beat up AT&T iPhone. I assumed therefore, that it was refurbished by Apple or someone authorized by them to do it, as Apple always puts a new case on their refurbished phones and I think a new battery too. I am very happy with my decision. Some day I may go back to either AT&T or Verizon to buy the latest and greatest iPhone on contract, but frankly for what I use the iPhone4 for email, calls, texting and the occasional web surf I am very satisfied.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
lroller wrote:Well, it can be a little daunting for those of us who grew-up with the big carriers handling everything...including the high cost for that service. However, it's really not that hard. If the people who live at WalMart can do it with their prepay plans, we can do it too. I would recommend you use a reseller for PagePlus such as Kitty Wireless located in Maine. They will walk you through the process almost to the point where you will shout "shut-up already". I only bought a one-month plan for my
Woot iPhone so I could determine if I had good coverage both in CT and FL. After determining that it worked in both places, I bought a Talk n Text plan for $29.99. I have it set up on the "auto-pay" feature, so once a month they automatically handle the purchase
of a new PIN each month. ....

Another vote here for PagePlus, from a former VZW subscriber. I also am using Kitty Wireless. They do make things very easy. One thing to note is that they have been running a promotion for a while now -- for your first month, whether you're activating a new phone # or porting your old # over to Page Plus, they ("they" being Kitty Wireless) are giving a free month's service under the $12 plan, and discounting some of the other plans. It's on their home page.

The current promotion runs through the end of this month -- not sure what offers they'll have for February. So if you receive your new Woot phone reasonably quickly, you'd have a chance to try Page Plus service for free.

spe11edy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spe11edy

This is a pile of rotten overpriced fruit.

foodee

lroller wrote:Well, it can be a little daunting for those of us who grew-up with the big carriers handling everything...including the high cost for that service. However, it's really not that hard. If the people who live at WalMart can do it with their prepay plans, we can do it too. I would recommend you use a reseller for PagePlus such as Kitty Wireless located in Maine. They will walk you through the process almost to the point where you will shout "shut-up already". I only bought a one-month plan for my
of a new PIN each month. Frankly, I see no difference over my AT&T service for which I was paying $89.99 and my PagePlus/Verizon service except I now have a phone that works at both of my homes, instead of one, and is costing me $60.00 less each month. The money I am saving serves to underwrite the Verizon phone service I needed in my new winter home.I just got my brother to port his Verizon phone to PagePlus and also a member from a volunteer group, in which I am a member, to port his. It's not hard. The menu screen, at the top of my phone where you see the carriers' name now says Verizon.

Thanks for the tip!

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark

I guess that Apple will have to support the iphone 4 a little longer-- they will be selling the 8gb iphone 4 in India.
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-01-14/news/46185531_1_iphone-apple-spokesperson-market-share

15,000 Rupees is $243.29.

Not on topic I guess, just interesting.

I've been waffling over these for sometime. Finally took the plunge so I can move to Page Plus.

weirdworks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdworks

Hey Woot, any more details on the refurbishment process? By whom?

leggalamb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leggalamb
bigruckus wrote:So will these work on a Walmart Tracfone plan..??? Do these have a SIM card or are they CDMA phones…

They are CDMA, which is suppose to work on Tracfone. I tried to activate, but it would not accept my MIED. Not sure about StraightTalk.

itzspeldrong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages itzspeldrong

Wish these phones worked with Ting or Republic Wireless, which happens to be two of the cheapest cellphone service providers I have ever seen (though you're stuck on Sprint's network).

omarx25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omarx25

Does anyone know if the itouch really comes only in blue? I hope not

morninglark

omarx25 wrote:Does anyone know if the itouch really comes only in blue? I hope not

Apple is selling the 32 gb iPod touch gen 5 black for $50 less.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD723LL/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-32gb-black-slate-5th-generation
The Apple store refurbs come with a one- year warranty from Apple.

They don't have the 64gb available.

bdoug399

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bdoug399
lroller wrote:I only bought a one-month plan for my
Woot iPhone so I could determine if I had good coverage both in CT and FL. ... Frankly, I see no difference over my AT&T service for which I was paying $89.99 and my PagePlus/Verizon service except I now have a phone that works at both of my homes, instead of one, and is costing me $60.00 less each month.

I gotta be honest, I chuckled a little about the long penny-pinching tale along with the phrase "both of my homes" in it. ;)

bdoug399

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bdoug399
leggalamb wrote:They are CDMA, which is suppose to work on Tracfone. I tried to activate, but it would not accept my MIED. Not sure about StraightTalk.

StraightTalk's "Bring Your Own Phone" plan will not work with ANY phone that does not have a SIM card slot. Further, it has also been confirmed multiple times that bringing your own Verizon iPhone 4S or above is not supported by them. Yes, there are ways to get them to work, but they are not supported by ST.

w3kn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages w3kn

I bought the same iPod at Best Buy right before Christmas for less than the Woot price. Fail.

79 woots and counting!

lroller

bdoug399 wrote:I gotta be honest, I chuckled a little about the long penny-pinching tale along with the phrase "both of my homes" in it. ;)

...that's why I have a lot of money:>)

firedown31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firedown31
morninglark wrote:Apple is selling the 32 gb iPod touch gen 5 black for $50 less.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD723LL/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-32gb-black-slate-5th-generation
The Apple store refurbs come with a one- year warranty from Apple.

They don't have the 64gb available.

Nice find!

morninglark

lroller wrote:Regarding the quality of the phones Woot is selling now I can't comment. However, the Woot phone I received arrived in a new Apple retail box that said "refurbished" as I recall. It was in pristine/new condition...no marks or anything. Far better than my beat up AT&T iPhone. I assumed therefore, that it was refurbished by Apple or someone authorized by them to do it, as Apple always puts a new case on their refurbished phones and I think a new battery too. I am very happy with my decision. Some day I may go back to either AT&T or Verizon to buy the latest and greatest iPhone on contract, but frankly for what I use the iPhone4 for email, calls, texting and the occasional web surf I am very satisfied.

I checked out the Kitty Wireless website but they say that new customers have to have a landline in your name or your families name. I haven't had a landline in years!

hawkwind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hawkwind

really,10% off so i don't have the pleasure to actually go to one of their stores and tell the sales person to eat my logbook, get outta here

well, i'm sorry, this is the first time i have been disappointed in shipping. FEDEX go to hell!
i will enjoy it when i get it, but damn, FEDEX dropped the ball on this one.
two days in the distribution center in dallas, another 2 days farting around the distribution center in atlanta.
if its the least bit, not perfect, i will give FEDEX a new .......job

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
morninglark wrote:I checked out the Kitty Wireless website but they say that new customers have to have a landline in your name or your families name. I haven't had a landline in years!

Hard to believe they don't have a workaround for people in your situation. Maybe you could drop them an email and ask? They're all about the customer service.

rsk173

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsk173

could i use the iphone as an ipod touch if i don't sign up for a plan?

morninglark

rsk173 wrote:could i use the iphone as an ipod touch if i don't sign up for a plan?

You should be able to use it as a touch. I used my old iPhone 3GS that way before I found a way to use it prepaid. One benefit over a iPod touch is better call quality over wifi. There are several wifi phone apps such as talktone (uses Google voice) and pinger (stand alone wifi phone ap).

forsakentalon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forsakentalon

yep purchased one of these iphones from woot from the last go around... Bad decision... Within two months the cellular radio went bad... Cannot call or receive texts...Did all of the resets, didn't work...Just a bad phone. I would not buy one of these again.

dsscheibe

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dsscheibe

Not that good of a deal, I expect better from Woot!.. Walmart sells the IPOD TOUCH 64GB for $369 and I get to pick the color I want.

rayraythe8th

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rayraythe8th

I recently bought a 5th gen 32gb iPod touch for my daughter from walmart. It was refurbished, cost 220 and it looks and works like new. Just a heads up.

morninglark

forsakentalon wrote:yep purchased one of these iphones from woot from the last go around... Bad decision... Within two months the cellular radio went bad... Cannot call or receive texts...Did all of the resets, didn't work...Just a bad phone. I would not buy one of these again.

Just curious. . .your post said that the phone had problems with the phone within two months and the phones come with a three month woot warranty. Did you contact Woot for a refund? I have always found Woot to be responsive within a reasonable time as long as you contact them using the link on the account page (Woot member services).

Here's the link http://www.woot.com/support

dabrahams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabrahams

This product is an iPhone 4. It is now 4 generations old. There is no information on what entity refurbished it or whether the battery is new. It is a 3G phone (i.e., slow cell signal and weak processor).

As for Page Plus, I agree it can be a bargain, but the customer service is awful. I just ported two cellphones for my brother and sister-in-law to them. The process was ridiculous. One of the phones couldn't download their software. They sent me to a "dealer" in a store that was nonexistent. The building was knocked down. I called customer service 8 times. It turned out they had confused the phone activation code and kept shutting off one phone when they reactivated the other. I had to diagnose the problem and walk them through the solution. Don't expect the process to be easy.