zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Seagate Wireless-N USB 3.0 500GB Ext HD
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 20 to Tuesday, Jan 21) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Seagate Wireless-N USB 3.0 500GB Ext HD
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard or $9 Two-Day or $12 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lichme

quality posts: 3182 Private Messages lichme

More info, and user manual at Seagate

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop

AlexWalsh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AlexWalsh

Hmmmm... a factory reconditioned hard drive. About as good as buying used paint. How much is your data worth? Probably at least the $70 additional cost to get a new one of these that will fail a little less often.

aplio

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aplio

A lot of horrible 1 star reviews on Amazon, 91 out of 538. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-External-STBF500101/product-reviews/B004Z0S7K6/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_2?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3913 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this additional info on connecting your new device to your Windows machine and to your iPad/iPod/iPhone

justinbarnhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinbarnhill

had one for awhile...used it on road trips for the kids to stream media to ipads. not a horrible device; but not something i found us using frequently so i sold it.

bitman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages bitman

Alternative firmware here. Dunno if it'll help.

http://www.hackseagatesatellite.com/

prncplanet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages prncplanet

Not a great deal.

You can get a Brand New 500GB portable drive with free shipping online for the same price as this one, after accounting for the $5 shipping. For example, right now Amazon has a new USB 3.0 500GB HP portable drive listed for $54.97.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12
prncplanet wrote:Not a great deal.

You can get a Brand New 500GB portable drive with free shipping online for the same price as this one, after accounting for the $5 shipping. For example, right now Amazon has a new USB 3.0 500GB HP portable drive listed for $54.97.

I can almost envision the GOD'S OF WOOT crowded around their celestial viewing portal drinking honeyed Meade and roaring with laughter every time a foolish mortal hits the purchase button.

That dream aside ,,,,, I had purchased one of these wireless HD's. Returned the first one because It appeared defective. Received a replacement only to have the same issues. Returned that and just went with NONE WIRELESS. The concept sounds great but it's implementation is one huge Cluster @#$&. The more I researched into the problem the more I am convinced that a marketing executive is running this company ( not an enginier) and wanted to do this with spending ZERO DOLLARS on the software side of it. It appears company documentation shows they were well aware of any problems. But figured some fancy adds would solve everything. Actually they could be right.

mightyvoice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyvoice

My experience with Seagate is that they budget huge percentages of their money towards Customer Support that would be much better spent on quality assurance.
Which is, of course, the nice way of saying that their customer support is good, but every product they've sent me has been faulty.

frankbreden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frankbreden

Can this be used for regular data?

Frank Breden

dumtek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dumtek

ctapley99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctapley99

I presume most realize this but for those who might not:

This drive can be used as your typical USB 3.0 portable HDD and works fine as such.

However, unlike the portable HDDs a few users have mentioned above, this HDD can be connected to wirelessly, allowing multiple devices like phones and tablets to access files (movies, songs, whatever) from it concurrently. Also, because it creates a proprietary network, it can be used when no wireless network exists (such as on a plane or in a car) for this multi-device wireless streaming.

So it definitely fills a nitch... We use ours when the family travels, loading 300 movies on it and letting everyone watch whatever the or she wants at the same time on a tablet or iPad, without filling those devices with the media.

That said, the native software is an epic FAIL. The hack mentioned above is a significant improvement, to the point of basically being a requirement to use the device wirelessly with any success..

Seaduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seaduck
dumtek wrote:Also see this 640GB 2.5Inch Storage External Portable Hard Disk Drive before you buy.

At twice the price

fshoemak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fshoemak

I did not research this all the much but to those that say this device gets poor reviews I suggest http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z0S7K6/?tag=dealswoot-20&hvadid=43830630929&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14686350141232587368&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8iy13h0skd_bu
or just jump over to amazon and look at the reviews. They seem pretty good to me.

dracodrago

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dracodrago

You can't really compare this to an every day external hard drive though. The purpose of this hard drive, in my opinion, is more the fact that you can stream your pictures and videos and such from the hard drive to your tablets and can watch movies. So if you have 1-3 iPads for example and are going on a road trip or vacation and have this guy with videos it's basically like a portable DVD player now. So getting a regular hard drive isn't really a compatible alternative for this one, unless you just want a hard drive to store stuff, in that case I would not recommend buying this at all.

It's a cool concept. But I've only had bad experiences with Seagate. The last hard drive I bought from them I copied all my data off my computer because it was dying and then I wiped the computer clean. The hard drive died the very next day.

desaber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages desaber
mightyvoice wrote:My experience with Seagate is that they budget huge percentages of their money towards Customer Support that would be much better spent on quality assurance.
Which is, of course, the nice way of saying that their customer support is good, but every product they've sent me has been faulty.

+1
They are already not the sturdiest of drives. a refurb just increases your chances of failures.

PeteCal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PeteCal
mightyvoice wrote:My experience with Seagate is that they budget huge percentages of their money towards Customer Support that would be much better spent on quality assurance.

Sounds like the route Detroit Autos took in the 1970s. "They don't build cars in Detroit, they just start them there and finish them at the dealers". Under warrentee of course. And only what the buyer caught in the first year.

That is why I jumped to Datsun in 1980.

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear
aplio wrote:A lot of horrible 1 star reviews on Amazon, 91 out of 538. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-External-STBF500101/product-reviews/B004Z0S7K6/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_2?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

That means nothing. You have to realize the wealth of people that purchase things on line do not know how to properly rate items. If an item shows up a day later than they expected, they give it a 1 star. If they can't figure out how to use it, they give it a 1 star. If they are having a bad day and forgot to charge up this item, or use something correctly, they let their anger give it a 1 star. You have to wade thru all the ridiculous reasons why people give out reviews that don't even have to do with the product itself, but mainly on user error.

NorthernDragon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NorthernDragon

DO NOT buy this device. It uses the WPA protocol for wireless security, which is NOT secure and is easily cracked. You'll be opening your entire network to hackers if you buy this thing.

For more detailed info: HTG Explains: The Difference Between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 Wireless Encryption, and Why It Matters

pinthong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pinthong
ctapley99 wrote:I presume most realize this but for those who might not:

This drive can be used as your typical USB 3.0 portable HDD and works fine as such.

However, unlike the portable HDDs a few users have mentioned above, this HDD can be connected to wirelessly, allowing multiple devices like phones and tablets to access files (movies, songs, whatever) from it concurrently. Also, because it creates a proprietary network, it can be used when no wireless network exists (such as on a plane or in a car) for this multi-device wireless streaming.

So it definitely fills a nitch... We use ours when the family travels, loading 300 movies on it and letting everyone watch whatever the or she wants at the same time on a tablet or iPad, without filling those devices with the media.

That said, the native software is an epic FAIL. The hack mentioned above is a significant improvement, to the point of basically being a requirement to use the device wirelessly with any success..

Exactly what I use mine for - two kids with 16gb iPad minis that have no room for multiple movies. Makes road trips a breeze.

Never had a single issue with the app, the firmware, or anything.

I'm in for another one for the other car.

baller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baller
NorthernDragon wrote:DO NOT buy this device. It uses the WPA protocol for wireless security, which is NOT secure and is easily cracked. You'll be opening your entire network to hackers if you buy this thing.

For more detailed info: HTG Explains: The Difference Between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 Wireless Encryption, and Why It Matters

I could be wrong, but at most you'd only be exposing whatever was on the hard drive to any nearby hackers correct? Meaning, if you simply have some movies on there, they could get to that.

manhandsha

quality posts: 40 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

This isn't a standard drive, this is for storing media and then wirelessly streaming that content to multiple wireless devices while out and about.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

seattle98122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seattle98122
conanthelibrarian wrote:Check out this additional info on connecting your new device to your Windows machine and to your iPad/iPod/iPhone

Thanks for the links, I am new to this stuff.

seattle98122

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

I am thoroughly amused how Woot editors removed all the negative comments about both this product and Woot support itself. This is EXACTLY what I meant by Woot (Amazon) only cares about the numbers they present to their shareholders.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
Ringo4422 wrote:I am thoroughly amused how Woot editors removed all the negative comments about both this product and Woot support itself. This is EXACTLY what I meant by Woot (Amazon) only cares about the numbers they present to their shareholders.

@Ringo4422, point taken on the comment stripping by Woot, but it is hard to argue Amazon bows to the "shareholders" - they've rarely made a dime since the beginning. In fact, some folks consider Amazon to be a Philanthropic Organization due to the apparent lack of a profit motive. ;-)

glennstep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glennstep

You do realize the Seagate is a WiFi server, not just a USB drive?

hondac95

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95

Been back/forth on whether buying this or let it go...like the idea behind it and for $50 will give it a try. I am not scared about being reconditioned as this does not necessarily means the HDD failed, but the WiFi might had instead and for $50 I will try it. One thing I had learned over the years is that normally reconditioned items work better than production line devices as these have been fixed out of any problem not thought about initially. Worst case scenario I will remove the HDD and use it stand alone or maybe add a bigger drive or maybe an SSD. Anyway, companies can't make everyone happy so you'll always going to have 2 sides of a story. I guess I'll make my own once it gets here.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
aplio wrote:A lot of horrible 1 star reviews on Amazon, 91 out of 538. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-External-STBF500101/product-reviews/B004Z0S7K6/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_2?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

tattooedbear wrote:That means nothing. You have to realize the wealth of people that purchase things on line do not know how to properly rate items. If an item shows up a day later than they expected, they give it a 1 star. If they can't figure out how to use it, they give it a 1 star. If they are having a bad day and forgot to charge up this item, or use something correctly, they let their anger give it a 1 star. You have to wade thru all the ridiculous reasons why people give out reviews that don't even have to do with the product itself, but mainly on user error.

Really? Are you serious?
Reviews may mean nothing to you, but they mean everything to me. I have some ability to read them and figure out the bad ones. The same as I do in this forum.

cantharis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cantharis

Wow some of the people in here are pretty clueless comparing this to a regular external drive, the main selling point of this one is mobility.

If u just need an external drive then there are better deals than this, i paid 75$ for a 1.5 TB usb 3 brand new back in sep, at $49 plus tax and SH its an Ok deal, i suppose the enclosure plus the wifi hardware plus the OS is worth at least $30-40 so with a refurb drive for anither 10 bucks its not too bad

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
escalante wrote:Really? Are you serious?
Reviews may mean nothing to you, but they mean everything to me. I have some ability to read them and figure out the bad ones. The same as I do in this forum.

Which is just what TatooedBear is doing by ferreting out the BS by lamers who write reviews.

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns

Any specs on transfer rate, spin speed, buffer ram size? You know, basic HD specs?

hondac95

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
russwjohns wrote:Any specs on transfer rate, spin speed, buffer ram size? You know, basic HD specs?

I wonder they will not give much detail on this as the main feature is the ability of transferring wirelessly. Since the enclosure "will buffer before transfer within it's OS (whichever it is but I am certain is Linux based)" the rate will be based on the wireless connection. Normally in these type of applications a low end HDD is normally used (5400rpm or lower) for reduce power consumption.

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan
escalante wrote:Really? Are you serious?

So then you realize 90% of the 1 star reviews were from apple fanboys who expect to be spoon fed their content in the manner apple does their stuff. And of those 90% another 75% are unverified purchases. Meaning they could be lying just to bring the rating down...

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
russwjohns wrote:Any specs on transfer rate, spin speed, buffer ram size? You know, basic HD specs?

Spin rate and transfer rate mean little. This streams data from the drive via WiFi, meaning the transfer speed is as good as the 80211 wifi signal will allow. Wireless N (if you actually connect in this mode) in the real world is actually no better than 80 mbps, a whole lot slower than any hard drive will do in itself.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

shadow7118

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadow7118
NorthernDragon wrote:DO NOT buy this device. It uses the WPA protocol for wireless security, which is NOT secure and is easily cracked. You'll be opening your entire network to hackers if you buy this thing.

baller wrote:I could be wrong, but at most you'd only be exposing whatever was on the hard drive to any nearby hackers correct? Meaning, if you simply have some movies on there, they could get to that.

Till they 'Pivot' thru your system to get to your other sensitive data!!

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12
Ringo4422 wrote:I am thoroughly amused how Woot editors removed all the negative comments about both this product and Woot support itself. This is EXACTLY what I meant by Woot (Amazon) only cares about the numbers they present to their shareholders.

How to get your opinion heard .....
Hide it in an actual product review from a purchase with humor is one way (see my example). Its like insulting someone to their face and they they just smile back, never seeing the face slap.

Its a style of writing used by US / World propaganda specialists to creates a negative image in a persons mind at a psychological level but on top appears innocent. (used all the time Before invading a country or destabilizing a Government). It can be more effective than a plain old RANT and RAGE. We tune those out unconsciously, because of the large volume on the internet or in our media rich lives. (see my example)