spummerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spummerr

One needs to ask why there are so many Refurbished sets??
These new tv's nowdays just don't last and the build quality is terrible

hillsideplumbco wrote:Mine came d.o.a, last time they were here should I dare try again? Must say though woot did an great job on the return

skipjack2001

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skipjack2001

I just bought a 32" version of this... it's a nice TV, but the smartTV interface seems really sluggish to me... and has a really slow boot up.

You can stream photos, videos, and music to this thing using a UPnP server on your PC. Pretty cool.. but mine is finicky about what video codecs it wants to play. Some MP4's play and some don't... haven't figured it out yet.

And my remote feels like a fisher price toy.. this one looks like it's got a keyboard remote which is cool... however, I was able to use a wireless keyboard with mine using the USB port.

briannanoob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages briannanoob

I sometimes invite strange men home with me, so getting this was a blessing in disguise. Not only does the alcohol dull the senses, but if it wasn't for the transformer's hum, it would be humless. And it isn't even a matter of not having a backlit remote control. It's more like the sound wasn't simulated but even familial, at best. Taken that into account, I would say that it's mostly plastic, although not the sort you'd make the grade. Notably, the video is in perfect sync with the audio, although not overly synced or rhythmic to be distracting.

Overall, I'd recommend this if more pastoral solutions is not an option.

cwfenn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cwfenn

If only I had the $1200...of course, it would be a wee bit big in the 16X9 room it would go in.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
kylelmccoy wrote:...make a note to buy a new router if yours is more than a few years old. Mine would not connect to my old netgear and I had to upgrade. (you'll be pleased all around if you spend $120 or more on it)...

I don't think I've ever spent more than $20 for a router! The current one was $15 and I have 4 out of 5 bars on a different floor at the opposite end of my house. I haven't had to reset it at all in over a year that I've had it. It is an EnGenius brand and currently is $99 on the website I bought it and I got it for $15! I was going to ask if a $120 router is better than a $15 one, but since they are selling this one for $99, I'll just assume they are about the same, it's just a matter of timing my purchase.

By the way, I buy a new router when they are $15-$20 and keep a spare so when the current one dies, I'm not paying too much.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
briannanoob wrote:I sometimes invite strange men home with me, so getting this was a blessing in disguise. Not only does the alcohol dull the senses, but if it wasn't for the transformer's hum, it would be humless. And it isn't even a matter of not having a backlit remote control. It's more like the sound wasn't simulated but even familial, at best. Taken that into account, I would say that it's mostly plastic, although not the sort you'd make the grade. Notably, the video is in perfect sync with the audio, although not overly synced or rhythmic to be distracting.

Overall, I'd recommend this if more pastoral solutions is not an option.

So...It's the men that are strange?

joevsyou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joevsyou

mha, seems little high, specialy with vizio is going to begin shipping 4k TV's starting at $1000

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

ok what is the difference between refurbished and factory reconditioned, as someone mentioned.

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

I feel the same way about 120, feels like a soap opera. 240 is even worse.

brendan948725 wrote:I almost think 240 Hz is too much... it looks just too smooth and doesn't "feel" like TV anymore. You watch it and feel like something is off but you just can't put your finger on what...

I have this exact same TV and I've been in love since the day I put it up. I got it as a refurb right here from Woot and it has been a central attraction football parties, movie nights, etc. We love to host and people love to come because the TV is so awesome!

mmmata

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mmmata

well something is up with the refurbs, square trade only offers 1 year here for $179/1 year whereas the tv on amazon:
Include 5-Year Warranty for $134.12
Include 4-Year Warranty for $102.80

So who's hedging their bets? Doesn't sound like SqTrade trust the refurbs too long after only a year.

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren
joevsyou wrote:mha, seems little high, specialy with vizio is going to begin shipping 4k TV's starting at $1000

Source please?

SavingSista

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SavingSista

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of refurbished electronics. Especially when they're from so-so companies.

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725
KyserSoze wrote:So...It's the men that are strange?

HOLY SMOKES your signature stresses me out

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
chardonay wrote:ok what is the difference between refurbished and factory reconditioned, as someone mentioned.

@chardonay,
The inclusion of the word "Factory" indicates the Brand/Factory was involved either directly themselves or via their own blessed partner in "Recertifying" the device prior to resale. Most Woots that include the word "Factory" have also carried a Factory-backed warranty.

"Refurbished" by it self says little about what was done to the device prior to resale. In this case the "warranty" coverage tends to be by Woot. For "non-factory" refurbs, the credibility comes from the seller, Woot.

hughn

quality posts: 7 Private Messages hughn
mcahren wrote:Source please?

I think Joe was referring to the new Visio Reference line that was just chosen as best of the CES show 2014.
http://ces.vizio.com

EDIT: More info and a video interview with Vizio CEO: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support

rjbaron

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rjbaron

Question to those that have this particular make/model. I've heard/read that some Vizios take a few extra seconds to turn on and can have a long pause in between channel changes. Anyone experience such things on this TV?

denverbuckeye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denverbuckeye
rjbaron wrote:Question to those that have this particular make/model. I've heard/read that some Vizios take a few extra seconds to turn on and can have a long pause in between channel changes. Anyone experience such things on this TV?

I have this exact model. When you turn it one the Vizio V logo appears almost immediately. I could about 5 seconds before the video shows but that may have something to do with the HDMI handshake it has to do with my AV receiver. No lag time at all when changing channels unless I am using my satellite receiver an that is the receiver, not the TV. The TV got very good reviews for gaming and it is much better for gaming with regard to screen refresh than my 73" Mitsuibishi DLP.

denverbuckeye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denverbuckeye
hughn wrote:I think Joe was referring to the new Visio Reference line that was just chosen as best of the CES show 2014.
http://ces.vizio.com

EDIT: More info and a video interview with Vizio CEO: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support

Then Joe would be incorrect - there won't be any 70" 4K TV's available anytime soon for under $1000.

GabbyGabby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GabbyGabby
spummerr wrote:One needs to ask why there are so many Refurbished sets??

Or perhaps, even more perplexing, why there are so many Orangutans???? This was never explained to me in school. One has to wonder why...

GabbyGabby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GabbyGabby
KyserSoze wrote:I don't think I've ever spent more than $20 for a router!

Word. I don't think I've ever spent more than $20 on a sandwich!

spummerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spummerr

Mounting it over a fireplace is not very smart! Heat is their worse enemy!!

denverbuckeye wrote:I was "that guy" that waited in line at Walmart on Black Friday to get this TV for $998. It's wall mounted over my fireplace. I can't speak for longevity but the picture quality is excellent and it's gigantic. I couldn't be happier. People can moan all the want about the Vizio brand but it's not noticeably worse than the very best most expensive brands and well above the lower quality brands like Philips: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/03/find-the-best-plasma-and-lcd-tvs/index.htm

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
spummerr wrote:Mounting it over a fireplace is not very smart! Heat is their worse enemy!!

The mantle above a fireplace generally isn't very hot so it should be fine. I'd be more concerned with soot, which may be conductive. I'm not very familiar with the composition of soot, but if there is a high level of carbon, it would be conductive. If enough of it enters the TV, it can potentially produce a short in the circuit,

BonoMan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BonoMan
vixro wrote:I feel the same way about 120, feels like a soap opera. 240 is even worse.

This is NOT refresh rate doing that! It's a stupid motion interpolation feature (that people feel is useful for sports and stuff but often leave it on all the time) that companies like to market as 120hz or 240hz.

But it's not. The refresh rate is independent from the feature that causes the "soap opera" effect. You can turn off that motion interpolator. You cannot turn of the refresh rate.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
vixro wrote:I feel the same way about 120, feels like a soap opera. 240 is even worse.

I know what you mean. I watch a lot of PBS and BBC, and whenever they air a production recorded in PAL, I feel a bit off. And the difference between America's NTSC and the UK's PAL is only 10 frames per second. Yet their shows have an eerie smoothness that seems unnatural. On the flip side, NTSC has a higher resolution than PAL. My guess s that UK residents finds American shows jerky because of our lower frame rate.

I had a camcorder that can record at both 30fps and 60fps. I always use 30fps because 60fps looked eerily "hyperreal."

That said, I don't think you're bothered by the refreah rate. INstead, it's probably the frame rate, as is my case.

rjbaron

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rjbaron
denverbuckeye wrote:I have this exact model. When you turn it one the Vizio V logo appears almost immediately. I could about 5 seconds before the video shows but that may have something to do with the HDMI handshake it has to do with my AV receiver. No lag time at all when changing channels unless I am using my satellite receiver an that is the receiver, not the TV. The TV got very good reviews for gaming and it is much better for gaming with regard to screen refresh than my 73" Mitsuibishi DLP.

Thanks for the reply...appreciate it!

r81984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r81984
Nickker22 wrote:I've bought a 37" vizio tv that crapped out on after two years... I'm hesitant on buying this..

I just cant see how and LED tv would fail after 2 years.
I would say most likely a capacitor blew out and you should just be able to solder in a new one.

I have had my 23 vizio since 2007 and it still works.
My 40in vizio is 3 years old.
Vizio always seems to have the best deals when I want to buy a tv.

r81984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r81984
skipjack2001 wrote:I just bought a 32" version of this... it's a nice TV, but the smartTV interface seems really sluggish to me... and has a really slow boot up.

You can stream photos, videos, and music to this thing using a UPnP server on your PC. Pretty cool.. but mine is finicky about what video codecs it wants to play. Some MP4's play and some don't... haven't figured it out yet.

And my remote feels like a fisher price toy.. this one looks like it's got a keyboard remote which is cool... however, I was able to use a wireless keyboard with mine using the USB port.

MP4 is just the wrapper. Each MP4 you have could be using different video and audio codecs.
Some codecs the tv cannot play.

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 37 Private Messages dernst_ca1
hillsideplumbco wrote:Mine came d.o.a, last time they were here should I dare try again? Must say though woot did an great job on the return

They usually do.

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

kieranmullen1234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kieranmullen1234

It does not seem like a super good deal comparing to Costco.

240 is too high? That's a crock since I am not getting all weird( falling out of Chairs... Throwing Up etc) On my 500 Hz rate on my Panosonic Plasma.

agingdragqueen wrote:Hey there! In case you'd like to read about refresh count, check out this article.
tl;dr: it's unlikely you'll need a refresh rate over 120Hz.

iitywygms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iitywygms
ThunderThighs wrote:We have worked with our vendor to expedite the shipping to get them there in time but we can't guarantee it.

ALSO! Because of its size, it will ship freight. You MUST give a PHYSICAL address for delivery. If you give a PO box, you will not get it in time as we will have to email you for an address.

Do they drop it off at the door step or is a signature required?

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 125 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

iitywygms wrote:Do they drop it off at the door step or is a signature required?

It's most likely they'll try to get a signature.

pchludil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pchludil

I am hesitant to buy anything from woot right now not to mention something expensive or fragile. If something is wrong I wish you luck getting things fixed as customer support is non-existent at this time.

nsxthao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nsxthao

Anyone receive shipping/tracking info yet?

mblackAZ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mblackAZ
nsxthao wrote:Anyone receive shipping/tracking info yet?

Nope. I just sent them an email about it, but received an auto-replay stating that they were busy over the holiday season (???) and it could take a week to get back with me. I was hoping to get this thing before the game next Sunday...

nsxthao

mblackAZ wrote:Nope. I just sent them an email about it, but received an auto-replay stating that they were busy over the holiday season (???) and it could take a week to get back with me. I was hoping to get this thing before the game next Sunday...

Well at least my status says: shipping now

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mblackAZ wrote:Nope. I just sent them an email about it, but received an auto-replay stating that they were busy over the holiday season (???) and it could take a week to get back with me. I was hoping to get this thing before the game next Sunday...

nsxthao wrote:Anyone receive shipping/tracking info yet?

If you didn't select expedited shipping (one-day/two-day) then standard shipping on all items is 3-5 business days from the sale (in some cases, sooner than that).

Since this offer was on 1/22, we would recommend that if you do not see any tracking information by January 29th, to let us know. Your orders should ship out sometime before then.

micman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages micman
ROGETRAY wrote:Since this offer was on 1/22

Purchased late night 1/20, technically early morning 1/21 (after midnight) right after the deal went live; Are we supposed to be contacted before shipping can even begin, or before delivery?

(Mine has also been "Shipping Now" since 1/21)

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

micman wrote:Purchased late night 1/20, technically early morning 1/21 (after midnight) right after the deal went live; Are we supposed to be contacted before shipping can even begin, or before delivery?

(Mine has also been "Shipping Now" since 1/21)

In most cases the shipping label is printed but the item itself isn't shipped until the 3-5 day period.

If yours shipped on 1/20 then your order is due to ship out sometime early next week.

If you don't see any movement or activity on your order by then, please notify us to write into support@woot.com and let them know.

nsxthao

I received tracking info today. Looks like fedex tracking number

iitywygms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iitywygms
nsxthao wrote:I received tracking info today. Looks like fedex tracking number

Clicking on the tracking number just brings me back to woot. Anyone else able to track it yet?