WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Goal Zero Portable Power Essentials Kit

Speed to First Woot:
4m 22.660s
First Sucker:
Mahihko
Last Wooter to Woot:
polala
Last Purchase:
10 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 31% of Woot.com Woots
Top 12% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 4% of Woot.com Woots
Top 2% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 16% first woot
  • 7% second woot
  • 25% < 10 woots
  • 21% < 25 woots
  • 30% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 12% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 13% one year old
  • 74% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 89% bought 1
  • 8% bought 2
  • 3% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
4%
2%
1%
1%
3%
5%
7%
9%
9%
8%
6%
5%
5%
4%
3%
3%
3%
3%
2%
3%
3%
3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lrgraham14


quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Goal Zero Portable Power Essentials Kit
Price: $69.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales


Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]


Goal Zero Portable Power Essentials Kit
Price: $69.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Tuesday, Jan 28 to Friday, Jan 31) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme


quality posts: 3116 Private Messages lichme

Check out the Product Page or some reviews from Costco

daymeeyan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daymeeyan

This is a great solar panel. I took 2 nomad 7 panels with me on an extreme trek to Mt. Everest Base Camp and they kept my devices charged over the entire trek.

Very light and durable. Highly recommended.

mkiisupraman18


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mkiisupraman18

Always something cool when I'm broke... ALWAYS.

goalzero


quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
lichme wrote:Check out the Product Page or some reviews from Costco




To clarify, the reviews from 2012 on Costco.com are not of the exact kit on Woot.com today. The kit back in 2012 included the original Nomad 7 (with side pocket) and Guide 10 version 1. The kit on Woot.com includes the Nomad 7 version 1.1 from 2013 that has a zipper pocket on the back of the panel (more space), and the Guide 10 Plus, which is a higher amp output than the Guide 10 version 1.

The Guide 10 Plus, included in this Woot.com event, has a 1.0 amp output compared to the 0.5 amp output of the original Guide 10. This means it can charge more devices, and it is a faster charge to your device. In most cases, it is just like charging from your phone's wall charger (1.0 amp on an iPhone wall charger as an example).

halfdeaf


quality posts: 2 Private Messages halfdeaf

Will the Guide 10 fit in the case so it's all one nice package?

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3797 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn all about Goal Zero and how it all works

fourfingeredjake


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fourfingeredjake

Can I daisy-chain my old Nomad 7 to this model?

goalzero


quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
halfdeaf wrote:Will the Guide 10 fit in the case so it's all one nice package?



Yes, there is even enough storage for your cell phone and the Guide 10 Plus as well.

goalzero


quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
fourfingeredjake wrote:Can I daisy-chain my old Nomad 7 to this model?



Not on the Nomad 7 included in this kit. Sorry.

The chaining capability began on our most recent version of the Nomad 7. The one with the green stripe through the fabric.

vivithemage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vivithemage
goalzero wrote:To clarify, the reviews from 2012 on Costco.com are not of the exact kit on Woot.com today. The kit back in 2012 included the original Nomad 7 (with side pocket) and Guide 10 version 1. The kit on Woot.com includes the Nomad 7 version 1.1 from 2013 that has a zipper pocket on the back of the panel (more space), and the Guide 10 Plus, which is a higher amp output than the Guide 10 version 1.

The Guide 10 Plus, included in this Woot.com event, has a 1.0 amp output compared to the 0.5 amp output of the original Guide 10. This means it can charge more devices, and it is a faster charge to your device. In most cases, it is just like charging from your phone's wall charger (1.0 amp on an iPhone wall charger as an example).



This makes me a little sad, I should have held out for the newer version. Do you guys have a trade up program at all?

goalzero


quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
vivithemage wrote:This makes me a little sad, I should have held out for the newer version. Do you guys have a trade up program at all?



When did you purchase yours? The cool thing about GOAL ZERO is that we continually innovate. The downside is that with that innovation comes some confusion as to which version someone has. Are you sure you have the old version?

The original Nomad 7 has a fabric pouch, some call it a pocket. This version has a zipper pocket. Which one do you have?

The original Guide 10 just says "Guide 10" on it, whereas this version, which is the current, newest version says "Guide 10 Plus" in green. Which one do you have?

vivithemage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vivithemage
goalzero wrote:When did you purchase yours? The cool thing about GOAL ZERO is that we continually innovate. The downside is that with that innovation comes some confusion as to which version someone has. Are you sure you have the old version?

The original Nomad 7 has a fabric pouch, some call it a pocket. This version has a zipper pocket. Which one do you have?

The original Guide 10 just says "Guide 10" on it, whereas this version, which is the current, newest version says "Guide 10 Plus" in green. Which one do you have?



I got it last year, Julyish. It looks like this:

http://powerfulproducts.com/images/products/detail/N7_Power_Bank_2.jpg

So it looks like I have the newer one...I am still tempted to buy a second one, haha.

goalzero


quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's learn all about Goal Zero and how it all works



Thank you for posting a link about GOAL ZERO's roots! Our mission is to emPower people, wherever they may go.

I invite everyone to check out the GOAL ZERO story link, and see what we're all about.

goalzero


quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
vivithemage wrote:I got it last year, Julyish. It looks like this:

http://powerfulproducts.com/images/products/detail/N7_Power_Bank_2.jpg



You have the 2013 model that is being sold in this Woot event. If you want a new Nomad 7, with chaining capability, I'm sure someone in our Solutions Center would love to work out a deal for you. I couldn't give any details about what that deal might be, but it retails for $79.99 by itself, no power pack, no extra set of AAA batteries, and no Luna light.

I personally do not think that the chaining capability would be enough reason to upgrade. This panel has all the same outputs to your devices, so just because you add another Nomad 7 in the chain, does not mean you will necessarily charge your devices faster through the built in USB. You may be able to charge the AA and AAA batteries in the Guide 10 Plus faster, or charge a 12V device faster, but not significantly enough to make it an easy upgrade decision.

This is the best deal anyone will ever find on this product, which is a combination of our most popular products, including the Luna Light, and you get the AAA batteries too! What a fantastic USB light, I might add. I'm using it right now, as a matter of fact because my keyboard doesn't light up. Makes for a great reading light solution, when coupled with the Guide 10 Plus included in this kit.

The Luna Light will last for 15-20 hours on one Guide 10 Plus charge.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3797 Private Messages conanthelibrarian
goalzero wrote:Thank you for posting a link about GOAL ZERO's roots! Our mission is to emPower people, wherever they may go.

I invite everyone to check out the GOAL ZERO story link, and see what we're all about.



And thank you for being here to answer our questions. Always nice to see a rep come by and help us make an informed decision.

puckcowboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages puckcowboy
goalzero wrote:You have the 2013 model that is being sold in this Woot event. If you want a new Nomad 7, with chaining capability, I'm sure someone in our Solutions Center would love to work out a deal for you. I couldn't give any details about what that deal might be, but it retails for $79.99 by itself, no power pack, no extra set of AAA batteries, and no Luna light.

I personally do not think that the chaining capability would be enough reason to upgrade. This panel has all the same outputs to your devices, so just because you add another Nomad 7 in the chain, does not mean you will necessarily charge your devices faster through the built in USB. You may be able to charge the AA and AAA batteries in the Guide 10 Plus faster, or charge a 12V device faster, but not significantly enough to make it an easy upgrade decision.

This is the best deal anyone will ever find on this product, which is a combination of our most popular products, including the Luna Light, and you get the AAA batteries too! What a fantastic USB light, I might add. I'm using it right now, as a matter of fact because my keyboard doesn't light up. Makes for a great reading light solution, when coupled with the Guide 10 Plus included in this kit.

The Luna Light will last for 15-20 hours on one Guide 10 Plus charge.



Can this Solar Panel charge laptops at all?

goalzero


quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
puckcowboy wrote:Can this Solar Panel charge laptops at all?



No, it is not designed to charge laptops. Laptops require more consistent power at a higher voltage. I would recommend our GOAL ZERO Sherpa 50 Solar Recharging Kit for laptop applications. Great question!

noahtheimagine


quality posts: 1 Private Messages noahtheimagine

Got a couple question about the goal 10 plus, forgive me if this sounds confusing.

When the goal 10 plus stores energy does it store the energy into the changeable rechargeable AAs or AAA or does it have it's own independent storage?

Also is it possible to draw energy from your AAs and AAAs to power your USB devices?

Thanks for any help. Very interested in this product.

bdrake47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bdrake47

Sweet deal! In for 3.

@GoalZero, these will be used in Afghanistan, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, & Nepal as soon as I get them! Looking forward to resolving recharge issues!

drunkenalien


quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

Woot support..

I have stuff in my cart, but the proceed to checkout page will not load....

So can you process my cart contents and use payment method Number 3 please.

theimmc


quality posts: 12 Private Messages theimmc
daymeeyan wrote:This is a great solar panel. I took 2 nomad 7 panels with me on an extreme trek to Mt. Everest Base Camp and they kept my devices charged over the entire trek.



Seems like the Sherpa or Yeti would be more suitable for a Himalayas trek

Surprised you packed so much on a tough trek. What devices did you bring along that needs to be charged?

nordie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nordie

Hey Goal Zero Guy/Gal,

Am I able to swap out the AA batteries in the charger unit with my Sanyo Eneloops if I want to charge them?

Thanks!

N.

rbrooks83


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbrooks83

My friend bought one of these from Costco. Great deal!!

patrice2


quality posts: 4 Private Messages patrice2

How would I connect the solar panel to my van's cigarette lighter to maintain the van's battery when parked for extended periods? What sort of adapter cord would I need?

kjonmyway


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway

I own this, and paid $129 for it, so this is a very good deal.

Here is what I can tell you from my experience:

I use this for backpacking and travel, which are really the best uses for it. Although a tad heavy at a smidge over a pound, it works well, but needs full sun to charge to it's full usage.

The battery pack works really well. It is best to not try to charge a device directly from the panel, but to plug the battery pack into the panel, and then plug the device into the battery pack.

How I use it, is to charge the battery pack during the day, and then charge my devices from the battery pack at night. This works very well, and I can get about 1 ¾ charges for my iPhone, on 1 battery pack charge, and approximately 30% charge on my iPad mini from 1 battery pack charge. In addition, my Nikon DSLR battery will charge 1 ½ times.

You can also use the batteries directly in devices. You can charge any NiMH rechargeable batteries, and don't need to buy the GoalZero brand of batteries.

There are lots of handy hooks for hanging from a backpack, or in camp, but on my unit, one of the loops broke the first time I used it, so be careful.

kjonmyway


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway
patrice2 wrote:How would I connect the solar panel to my van's cigarette lighter to maintain the van's battery when parked for extended periods? What sort of adapter cord would I need?



This is not the correct unit for charging a van's battery. Check their website for another unit that does this. This is a portable unit that is only appropriate for cell phones, tablets and other small electronics that are charged via usb.

PJStelford


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PJStelford

Hi GoalZero,

I have the Switch 8 Kit sold through REI found at the following URL (http://www.rei.com/product/851177/goal-zero-switch-8-solar-recharging-kit). As I just received it for Christmas and have not yet opened it, could you tell me about the difference between the model I have and the model for sale in this woot?

Thank you so much in advance!

entrtnm8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages entrtnm8

Not a big fan of NiMH batteries that are part of the Guide 10 Plus Recharger in this kit. Can this be used with my own AA Li-Ion batteries?

zhaotong


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zhaotong

@goalzero , Can Nomad 7 used for Switch 8 battery pack ?

Figit090


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

I own this kit and love it, it's saved me charging my phone when I can't use the car charger or don't want to waste my car battery by powering on the car's electrical system while sitting with the engine off (I have several amps running on the car's starter battery that turn on).

It also conveniently will shade what you charge, and hold all the accessories in the pouch. I have also used the guide 10 to charge my phone using the nimh batteries, and the flashlight comes in handy when you're fiddling with everything or need light in a tent, for example.

Good buy if you need portable power. Great if you have a cellphone that sucks juice and/or you need to turn on GPS or any battery-draining function that would otherwise leave you without a phone in under an hour.

kjonmyway wrote:I own this, and paid $129 for it, so this is a very good deal.

Here is what I can tell you from my experience:

I use this for backpacking and travel, which are really the best uses for it. Although a tad heavy at a smidge over a pound, it works well, but needs full sun to charge to it's full usage.

The battery pack works really well. It is best to not try to charge a device directly from the panel, but to plug the battery pack into the panel, and then plug the device into the battery pack.

How I use it, is to charge the battery pack during the day, and then charge my devices from the battery pack at night. This works very well, and I can get about 1 ¾ charges for my iPhone, on 1 battery pack charge, and approximately 30% charge on my iPad mini from 1 battery pack charge. In addition, my Nikon DSLR battery will charge 1 ½ times.

You can also use the batteries directly in devices. You can charge any NiMH rechargeable batteries, and don't need to buy the GoalZero brand of batteries.

There are lots of handy hooks for hanging from a backpack, or in camp, but on my unit, one of the loops broke the first time I used it, so be careful.



What Nikon DSLR do you use, and how do you use the guide 10 to charge the battery? I'd like to know how to use this kit in a pinch but my chargers use AC power and I haven't run into a DSLR charger that doesn't.

entrtnm8 wrote:Not a big fan of NiMH batteries that are part of the Guide 10 Plus Recharger in this kit. Can this be used with my own AA Li-Ion batteries?



NO. Never charge li-ion batteries with a Ni-mh charger, they probably will explode. this charger states on the back "use only nimh"

waterfall7


quality posts: 2 Private Messages waterfall7

I have all of these products, bought separately, this is a really good price. I use the Nomad daily to charge my phone. The Nomad 7 sits in my office window and I plug in the phone. On the occasional stormy day when the sun is blocked, I use the Guide plus.

maninblack


quality posts: 4 Private Messages maninblack

In for two of these. We have a lot of rechargeable batteries for a lot of devices, and our front room gets a LOT of early morning to early afternoon sunlight. A solar charger makes perfect sense.

Been looking for a new solar charger ever since my previous one died (put the wrong batteries in it, and they leaked and damaged the charger).

kjonmyway


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway
noahtheimagine wrote:Got a couple question about the goal 10 plus, forgive me if this sounds confusing.

When the goal 10 plus stores energy does it store the energy into the changeable rechargeable AAs or AAA or does it have it's own independent storage?

Also is it possible to draw energy from your AAs and AAAs to power your USB devices?

Thanks for any help. Very interested in this product.



I don't work for Goal Zero, and am only speaking from personal experience, (maybe they can weigh in here), but my understanding is the solar panel charges the battery pack (with the batteries). You can then either use the batteries in devices that take them, or use the battery pack (with the batteries in it) to power your devices that use a usb cable. Hope that helps.

kjonmyway


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway
Figit090 wrote:What Nikon DSLR do you use, and how do you use the guide 10 to charge the battery? I'd like to know how to use this kit in a pinch but my chargers use AC power and I haven't run into a DSLR charger that doesn't.



I have a Nikon D3200, and it came with a usb charging cable, but if you google your camera model (or battery model) and "usb battery charger" you will see that there are a ton of inexpensive chargers that will charge your battery via usb.

kjonmyway


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway
nordie wrote:Hey Goal Zero Guy/Gal,

Am I able to swap out the AA batteries in the charger unit with my Sanyo Eneloops if I want to charge them?

Thanks!

N.



I believe so, but check to make sure they are NiMH batteries. If they are, then yes.

kjonmyway


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway
PJStelford wrote:Hi GoalZero,

I have the Switch 8 Kit sold through REI found at the following URL (http://www.rei.com/product/851177/goal-zero-switch-8-solar-recharging-kit). As I just received it for Christmas and have not yet opened it, could you tell me about the difference between the model I have and the model for sale in this woot?

Thank you so much in advance!



I bought mine at REI as well. I actually went into the store and asked the clerk which one was better. They advised me that they themselves would purchase this one. I don't work for GoalZero, but from my understanding, the switch 8 outputs power to usb only, while the Guide 10 outputs power to usb or AA and AAA batteries, so it is more versatile, particularly if any of your devices use batteries.

Another note - REI members, (and not sure if this applies to non-members) can return any product at any time....no questions asked.

shariellen


quality posts: 4 Private Messages shariellen

I am thinking about this for my sailboat. How will it handle salty spray and general damp boat life?