lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

HP Split x2 13.3" Convertible i3 Laptop
Price: $499.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

HP Split x2 13.3" Convertible i3 Laptop
Price: $499.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Jan 29 to Monday, Feb 03) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/19/2013 - $529.99 (Woot Plus)
12/10/2013 - $529.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

dbdigital

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dbdigital

SSD may be fast but only 128gb which will fill up QUICKLY on a Windows PC!

Woot is $50 less than NewEgg for their refurb of the same model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257783

20 Reviews here: http://www.laptopplaza.com/hp-split-13-m010-tablet-laptop-pc-core-i3-128g-ssd-4g-13-3-win8/

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the spec page and TONS of solid reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

Is there an additional battery in the base?

ZerosReaper

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ZerosReaper
cowboyesfan wrote:Is there an additional battery in the base?

There sure is. A "3-Cell 33WHr Lithium-Ion Polymer" one to be exact.

reundo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reundo

Girlfriend got the newer version with the 4th gen i3 processor at Christmas time. The computer is always lagging and the fans never stop running. We have talked to HP support and they have reset the computer twice now, installed all the updates that are supposed to fix these issues multiple times and the lagging and fan running constantly continues to happen. From the research I did online, this seems to be a software issue.

On the plus side, the tablet and dock feature is really nice. HP just needs to fix their driver issues.

I would stay away from these for now, at least until they get all the drivers and other software issues figured out.

campbeln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages campbeln

Anyone know if you can Hackintosh this?!? I've wanted a nice OSX slate for a few years now!

Wootificator

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wootificator
reundo wrote:Girlfriend got the newer version with the 4th gen i3 processor at Christmas time. The computer is always lagging and the fans never stop running. We have talked to HP support and they have reset the computer twice now, installed all the updates that are supposed to fix these issues multiple times and the lagging and fan running constantly continues to happen. From the research I did online, this seems to be a software issue.

On the plus side, the tablet and dock feature is really nice. HP just needs to fix their driver issues.

I would stay away from these for now, at least until they get all the drivers and other software issues figured out.

The 4th Gen Core iX processors, or Haswell chips, have integrated voltage rails and run hotter than the last generation. Because of this, heat transfer is of utmost importance, so if the heatsink in your GF's tablet/laptop wasn't seated perfectly, you'll have issues. This is a manufacturing defect on HP's part and I would insist that they replace the device.

I can haz moar fireworkz please?

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

This will be great.... to install Android on.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

leroymarshall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leroymarshall

I have a Surface Pro, which is basically the same thing with an i5 (~$300 more than this as well). I love the tablet form factor without being limited with Windows RT. The only complaint is software support.
The Windows Store is empty. Very few quality apps. Which is why having Windows 8 and not RT is important.
For touchscreen reasons I'm basically forced to use IE since Chrome is almost unusable at high res on a touch screen. I haven't had a chance to try Firefox.

Overall though, I really enjoy having something I can pull off the keyboard and sit on the couch with.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok people, I'm pouring you a nice hot cup of coffee here. Let's wake up and get to talking about this laptop.

Seems like it's got a lot of good stuff going for it.

Have one? Talk about it.

Have thoughts? Share them.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lpsisrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lpsisrl

Also be aware that the display may be different in the 3rd gen as opposed to the 4th gen i3. I'm not sure if the display difference parallels the CPU, but I've seen two different displays on this at Best Buy. One looked just like the i5 model. Good viewing angles. The other quickly dimmed and got color distortion as you began to get off-axis with it. I've never seen any specs or documentation to determine which display you'll get without actually looking at it. BEWARE!!! You might get a display that's fine for netbook use but will disappointed using it as a tablet.

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

So, here are the only two professional reviews I found:

Notebook Check

Consumer Reports

I am not responsible for this post.

roninhack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roninhack

I guess I have 1 question phrased 2 ways.

What ports are on the screen and what ports are on the keyboard?

Can you plug a USB device to the screen or charge the screen by itself?

scatpack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scatpack

[MOD: scatpack: I'm sorry for the delayed response. I'll email CS to let them know of your concerns. Thank you for your patience. ]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

roninhack wrote:I guess I have 1 question phrased 2 ways.

On the specs, it says:

I/O Ports:
HDMI: 1 (on base)
USB 3.0: 1 (on base)
USB 2.0: 1 (on base)
Combo Headphone/Mic Jack: 1

I asked and the "base" refers to the keyboard. The images seem to support this.

Hope that helps.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

butchcassidy1717

quality posts: 0 Private Messages butchcassidy1717

just read this review:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Split-x2-Convertible.99968.0.html

They talk about the dock taking a second drive, but the comments on there said something about needing to buy a HP upgrade. Does this model support the second drive out of the box, or would an upgrade purchase be required?

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
roninhack wrote:I guess I have 1 question phrased 2 ways.

The screen/tablet portion doesn't have any USB ports. It does have a micro SD slot though. As well as a/c input so you can charge the tablet portion without needing the keyboard/base.

arctenex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arctenex

Does any one (at Woot) able to provide the actual Product Number?

e.g. E6F89PA is for a similar model:
Model: HP Split 13-m010TU x2 PC
from hp.com/buy/parts

Because, I'm have issue finding it on hp.com/buy/parts - which even shows and identifies some Product Numbers and their model name as Refurbished, so it SHOULD have a unique one.

I have two questions about this unit:

1) Does it take a 7mm thick HDD in kb base or only a 5mm thick - harder to find 500GB hdd?

2) is the 4GB SODIMM in a socket or soldered to the board?

I recently, on one of the 12 days of Christmas on MicrosoftStore.com purchased a plastic, not metal (Envy) Pavalion 13-p111nr x2
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Pavilion-13-p111nr-x2-Touchscreen-2-in-1/productID.289454800

for $599 and it now vacilates between list of $899 and $499 and going out of stock quickly at $499 once in the last two or three weeks I had it in my cart and they went Out Of Stock and refunded my VISA while trying to process.

I successfully added the 2nd HDD in the keyboard base by buy HDD Hardware Kit and a new HDMI board (one shipped with it had a missing surface mounted connector and one chip missing also) and a 500GB 5mm single plater Seagate HDD from Overstock.com - for about $190 total using hp.com/buy/parts and asking for free shipping. It was an adventure. Only wish it had a backlight on the KB and a bit brighter and FHD disply.

-Joe

kaatew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaatew

Strongly considering myself.

To help answer your question - the Notebook Check review attached above states the Memory Card is user replaceable (but tricky to get the back off cleanly).

It is less clear about the base hard drive. It sounds like the bases without the hard drive lack to internal connector to add a HDD later.

connors

quality posts: 0 Private Messages connors

Like to But I do not trust Woot any more I have bought items 36 times never had an issue then got something that does not work! Guess what woot is a no show!

Has anybody dealt with returning something, any tricks to get them to respond been trying for a month now!

This is the email I got from them

Hello connors,
Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.
We're sorry your item isn't working properly. However, this item is covered by a warranty through the manufacturer. Please contact them for information on repair/replacement options.
Braven: http://www.braven.com/support/warranty
Please let us know if you have any issues resolving this with them directly.
Woot Member Services,
Caleb

This is what I sent back to them

I tried that first here is their response

Hello Connors,
Your return request has been denied. This could be for a number of reasons, including:
-The period on your return request is greater than 30 days from the original date of purchase.
-Your purchase was from another merchant and not through BRAVEN.com.
Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service team at support@braven.com with any further questions or concerns.
Kind Regards,

Kerri M.
Customer Service Team
BRAVEN
1-877-927-2836
support@BRAVEN.com

Please help!

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
dbdigital wrote:SSD may be fast but only 128gb which will fill up QUICKLY on a Windows PC!

Depends on how you use your laptop/tablet/convertible. I've got an older HP tm2t convertible that I put an Intel 120 GB SSD in. I keep most of my music/pictures/random files in various cloud services, so I have no shortage of space on my local machine. I don't have to worry about hardware failures, and as a bonus, Windows 8 is crazy fast on an SSD.

kenisall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenisall

I have owned several HP PCs. My experience has been that HPs run extremely hot. The laptops will almost quite literally burn your legs if they are sitting in your lap. It sounds like a bit of a generalization, but everyone I have owned exhibited this characteristic.

reundo wrote:Girlfriend got the newer version with the 4th gen i3 processor at Christmas time. The computer is always lagging and the fans never stop running. We have talked to HP support and they have reset the computer twice now, installed all the updates that are supposed to fix these issues multiple times and the lagging and fan running constantly continues to happen. From the research I did online, this seems to be a software issue.

urphonesux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages urphonesux

thinking about replacing my dell venue 8 pro with this...

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
arctenex wrote:
I recently, on one of the 12 days of Christmas on MicrosoftStore.com purchased a plastic, not metal (Envy) Pavalion 13-p111nr x2
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Pavilion-13-p111nr-x2-Touchscreen-2-in-1/productID.289454800

for $599 and it now vacilates between list of $899 and $499 and going out of stock quickly at $499 once in the last two or three weeks I had it in my cart and they went Out Of Stock and refunded my VISA while trying to process.

I successfully added the 2nd HDD in the keyboard base by buy HDD Hardware Kit and a new HDMI board (one shipped with it had a missing surface mounted connector and one chip missing also) and a 500GB 5mm single plater Seagate HDD from Overstock.com - for about $190 total using hp.com/buy/parts and asking for free shipping. It was an adventure. Only wish it had a backlight on the KB and a bit brighter and FHD disply.

As you mentioned, the trick with these is that there are so many different subtle variations of these "x2" models, with minor differences between each, so it's hard to determine exactly what your upgrade options might be.

I did the same as you, except with the Black Friday version from Best Buy (metal, i3-4010Y, and looks similar to this woot, model was 13-m110dx e8c05ua#aba).
In the screen portion, that one had a single DIMM slot so I removed the 4GB and put in 8GB which fit, though rather tightly (it seemed to want a just minutely thinner DIMM module), plus an mSATA slot, so I pulled the 128G and put in a 240GB, and a microSD slot, which can come in handy.
The base could accept a 7mm drive just fine, but I also needed the drive installation hardware kit (includes cable and "caddy") and a replacement HDMI board that has the chip and connector for a hard drive (from the HP parts store; found a coupon code at the time).

Basically, with regard to upgrades, YMMV.

Also, none of those parts should really be considered end-user upgradeable, since they require significant disassembly of the unit and it would be pretty easy to damage it by doing so if you're not careful. Certainly not as bad as trying to take apart an Apple product, but also not nearly as easily serviceable as a traditional laptop either.

For what it is, it works well, but it seems like kind of a niche product, primarily for people who want to have-their-tablet-and-their-laptop-too, without breaking the bank, and who can handle a little more bulk than a smaller tablet.

urphonesux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages urphonesux

Has anyone recieved this device yet?
Any opinions on it?
Should I get one?