josephf31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josephf31
eddydy wrote:No HDMI?
No go.

It's a BUSINESS class laptop not a low end consume machine. There is no need for HDMI in a business environment, and this is not the machine to buy for gaming or home entertainment, so it's not a minus.

Narfcake

quality posts: 289 Private Messages Narfcake
patersondj wrote:Don't bother buying the protection plan, Dell is great to work with, and you just don't need it.

... except in this case, it's not Dell that did the refurbishing. Some 3rd party did and the laptop is warranted by Woot.

I've purchased/helped purchase over 20 Dell refurbs for work, family, friends, and personal use. All of them were refurbished/warranted by Dell, and for the two issues I had, both were taken care of very promptly. Here, the buyer will be dealing with Woot for any issues, which if you look around ...

them1ightytac0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages them1ightytac0
josephf31 wrote:Because Lenovo is a piece of chinese crap

Yes and I'm sure with your extensive Dell experience you'll know Dell is top of the line.

Hate to tell you but being a Desktop support grunt for a Dell shop Dell sucks for break fix as much if not more than Lenovo. The E6400, E4300, E6410, E4310: All horribly built machines. I've had Dell Techs onsite twice weekly to repair motherboards, failed touchpads, and failed fans. Every machine in the series mentioned above runs hot. i5, i7, core 2 doesn't matter. always hot running basic office crap.

Related tidbit: When I was in a Lenovo shop I had a tech on maybe once a month.

Bottom line: some of these machines will chug along with no issue but I wouldn't be surprised to see a high failure rate.

bowlingb

quality posts: 21 Private Messages bowlingb
bilge wrote:Hi,

I know some of you are highly knowledgeable about Woot's practices. I thinking about buying this piece but it is not "manufacturer refurbished." I have done some deep search and found out that the reviews for refurbished shopping on Woot are quite mixed. Two questions arise:

1. Has anyone bought a refurbished "Dell" from Woot before?
2. Do you know Woot's supplier for refurbished Dell products?

It is very easy to find a seller refurbished "Dell Latitude E6410," and the price is just about right. But what about the quality?

Thank you in advance.

I would look back very carefully at the forums over the last couple of months that accompany refurbished equipment from Woot before buying. After reading about the issues people have been experiencing ask yourself if it is worth taking the chance buying from Woot.

w3kn

quality posts: 9 Private Messages w3kn
josephf31 wrote:"refurbished" generally means cleaned up and an new OS installed. There are not really any worn out parts to be replaced on a used laptop.

Most likely these were leased computers returned to Dell. They usually clean 'em up, fix whatever needs fixin, then sell 'em.

They're not high-end laptops, so gaming on them isn't recommended, but they're great for general use.

79 woots and counting!

josephf31

them1ightytac0 wrote:Yes and I'm sure with your extensive Dell experience you'll know Dell is top of the line.

Hate to tell you but being a Desktop support grunt for a Dell shop Dell sucks for break fix as much if not more than Lenovo. The E6400, E4300, E6410, E4310: All horribly built machines. I've had Dell Techs onsite twice weekly to repair motherboards, failed touchpads, and failed fans. Every machine in the series mentioned above runs hot. i5, i7, core 2 doesn't matter. always hot running basic office crap.

Related tidbit: When I was in a Lenovo shop I had a tech on maybe once a month.

Bottom line: some of these machines will chug along with no issue but I wouldn't be surprised to see a high failure rate.

Actually, yes, I have more than 20 years of desktop support experience, with all brands of computers. In that time, Dell has by far been the most reliable, easy to work on and best value. Lenovo are overpriced, cheaply built and unreliable.

baboval

quality posts: 3 Private Messages baboval
wchong4 wrote:

The only drawback, and this is common to Dells, is the terrible screen viewing angle.

These actually came with one of several screen options. Only the dirt-cheapest one had terrible viewing angles (of course that's the one most companies order, because they could care less whether their employees have nice screens).

The specs page isn't specific enough to know which screen option this one has, so I'd assume the worst.

The real problem with this model is that it's three generations old now. Not only that, but the generation after this one was a significant boost; especially in the graphics performance department. This version was the last one where the integrated intel graphics were just plain bad. Slow when it was new. You really should consider spending a little bit more and getting one that ends in **20 or **30 to get a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge i5 processor. It's not too uncommon to see the E4320s or E6420s for $299 as refurbs.

baboval

josephf31 wrote:Actually, yes, I have more than 20 years of desktop support experience, with all brands of computers. In that time, Dell has by far been the most reliable, easy to work on and best value. Lenovo are overpriced, cheaply built and unreliable.

Both Dell and Lenovo make cheaply built crap and well built systems. I've used and worked on every single model made by both companies in the last 5 years, and I can't say that either have been more reliable than the other. And the thin & light versions of the Lenovos are easier to work on than the thin and light Dells.

The only systems I'd rate better from Dell than Lenovo are the ruggedized Latitude series. Lenovo doesn't have an equivalent there. Dell has better monitors. Lenovo has better desktops (especially the M93 "tiny" series).

Lenovos are more spill resistant, and both of them break when Romulans carry them around by the corner of the screen.

Honestly, I don't see how somebody with a lot of experience working on these things could have a sweeping generalization about them. The brand means almost nothing. It's model vs. model.

If you buy a lot of systems, though, (and this definitely won't apply to people who buy refurbs off Woot), Lenovo is 1000x better about getting you parts when something breaks. It's rare that you don't have your part the next day, and they let you fix it yourself in-house. Dells, you keep a spare around because they're more likely to force you to send the system back to them or to some authorized repair place.

(I'd take a newer version of either brand over an older version of the other brand, as long as it's the business class model. I don't see how you can tell somebody a 1st gen Core i5 is better than Ivy Bridge just because one is Lenovo. That's warpspeedic.)

baboval

josephf31 wrote:It's a BUSINESS class laptop not a low end consume machine. There is no need for HDMI in a business environment, and this is not the machine to buy for gaming or home entertainment, so it's not a minus.

Furthermore, this machine has DisplayPort, which is more capable than HDMI, and compatible with HDMI using a passive adapter that costs less than $3.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

@baboval, Truth.

baboval wrote:Both Dell and Lenovo make cheaply built crap and well built systems. . . .

Honestly, I don't see how somebody with a lot of experience working on these things could have a sweeping generalization about them. The brand means almost nothing. It's model vs. model.

. . .

bluemaple

For those folks still running Windows XP (a lot of people), you might have heard Microsoft seems to be serious this time about ending security patches for it on April 8, 2014.

These off-lease PC's can be an inexpensive way to get into Windows 7. A 1st gen i5's will run snappily for typical use.

Real business grade laptops like this are much more solid than the $300-500 Black Friday consumer grade crap.

For off-lease laptops:
1) The seller does matter - while these are solid laptops, if you get a lemon (which should be readily apparent within a week or two), you want to be able to easily swap it out.
2) Budget for a new battery if you plan to travel since batteries start to lose their grunt after 2-3 years.

bluemaple

Lack of a webcam: it was very common and still is in some companies to specify no cameras in their facilities for security (R&D), HR policy, or whatever other reason.

Some of that was legacy paranoia silliness that has since been overwhelmed by the prevalence of cameras in just about any portable device.

If you live in Skype/Google video calls/whatever, this might not be the laptop for you. But you can actually get better video call quality with the nicer Logitech aftermarket webcams than with many built in webcams.

dpwellman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dpwellman

Also, this being a "business" class laptop / notebook, you can use it with a docking station, if you so desire. Makes transitioning from a desktop environment (keyboard, mouse, nice, big monitor, printer, etc) to going mobile and back much easier, simpler.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

dadietze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dadietze

I boght one of these on black friday. The repair shop I got mine thru tiger direct as a 3rd party in florida. The first one, had a broken keyboard, the second had a bad display, the third one seems to work fine. I really like my pc, and am glad I purchased it, but it took 45 days to get a working PC from the time I purchased it. That really sucked.. they warranty it, but it has to go thru all thier processing, and takes weeks.. Luck

josephf31

dadietze wrote:I boght one of these on black friday. The repair shop I got mine thru tiger direct as a 3rd party in florida. The first one, had a broken keyboard, the second had a bad display, the third one seems to work fine. I really like my pc, and am glad I purchased it, but it took 45 days to get a working PC from the time I purchased it. That really sucked.. they warranty it, but it has to go thru all thier processing, and takes weeks.. Luck

I have nothing but bad luck and ripoffs from Tiger Direct, they are the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with (besides Comcast LOL)

josephf31

bluemaple wrote:@baboval, Truth.

On the contrary; over time, having work on literally *thousands* of machines, one develops a very good idea of what is or is not junk.

baboval

josephf31 wrote:On the contrary; over time, having work on literally *thousands* of machines, one develops a very good idea of what is or is not junk.

Let me guess. You're the guy that Dell makes me send machines to when they break, and you're pissed that Lenovo just sends FRUs directly to corporate IT customers, cutting you out of the profit loop?

dmat3384

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmat3384

Looks like the good people at Woot had time to delete my comment, but don't have time to support me as a customer. For those interested, I'll gladly repost, and keep doing so until I get some kind of response from these thieves.

If you have any kind of problem with an order from Woot, expect ZERO customer service. Here is the automated response you receive when trying to get help with a DEFECTIVE laptop that was purchased less than 3 weeks ago:

Hi, Woot member -

Woot Customer Service here to say thanks for the email. We'll get right on it, starting by assigning you the catchy case number CAS-596421-T0K1T4.
To be honest, we're pretty swamped this holiday season and it might take us up to a week to respond to your request. We're very sorry for the delay, we know it is an important time of year and remain committed to addressing your concerns. You might find the answer you seek in our FAQ: http://www.woot.com/faq.
Thank you very much for your patience,

Woot Customer Services

Aside from them deleting my post earlier today, I don't have any evidence that anyone actually works there at Amazon Jr.

jcmetric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcmetric

I got a similar message on a coat I bought that was not "as described.

Then about two weeks later I was told there were NO RETURNS for any reason and was advised to sell it to someone else on my own.

Too bad the thing wasn't displayed correctly. MY Problem.

Awful customer "service" at WOOT!

dmat3384 wrote:Looks like the good people at Woot had time to delete my comment, but don't have time to support me as a customer. For those interested, I'll gladly repost, and keep doing so until I get some kind of response from these thieves.

If you have any kind of problem with an order from Woot, expect ZERO customer service. Here is the automated response you receive when trying to get help with a DEFECTIVE laptop that was purchased less than 3 weeks ago:

Hi, Woot member -

Woot Customer Service here to say thanks for the email. We'll get right on it, starting by assigning you the catchy case number CAS-596421-T0K1T4.
To be honest, we're pretty swamped this holiday season and it might take us up to a week to respond to your request. We're very sorry for the delay, we know it is an important time of year and remain committed to addressing your concerns. You might find the answer you seek in our FAQ: http://www.woot.com/faq.
Thank you very much for your patience,

Woot Customer Services

Aside from them deleting my post earlier today, I don't have any evidence that anyone actually works there at Amazon Jr.

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
aquinob wrote:Not really, probably between 3-4 years max. This is a fairly good deal. Dell financial services has them for about 420 to 440 with roughly the same specs and a current coupon of 35% off nets about 313 for the same machine (E6410, I5, 250GB, win7pro32). If I hadnt picked up a Precision m4500 from them a few months ago, I'd consider this.

Keep in mind these machines probably sold originally for 1500 to 2000 each and are still better than consumer grade machines selling for over 500 at box stores like BB.

These were higher end systems. And probably around 4 years old and off lease refurbs. No support for usb 3.0 devices, but does have an ExpressCard slot and an eSATA port.

I would have liked an eSATA port on my Latitude D830 or D630. Sure I could get an eSATA ExpressCard or even a USB 3.0 ExpressCard; but I think Dell uses the USB bus for the ExpressCards which would hinder transfer rates.

st1100pilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages st1100pilot

Caution to all regarding Woot support (or lack therof) on refurbished models. I waited 8 days for a reply to a support request regarding a sub-standard refurb. They said they wouldn't allow a return and I had to deal with the manufacturer. I called the manufacturer and they said I have to deal with Woot who doesn't respond to their emails. I was a big Woot fan and have bought many things over the years...never again!

cascade2k

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cascade2k

Just got mine and the upper left quadrant of the display does not function properly. It looks like someone wiped it way too hard with some sort of solvent, terrible discoloration. Sent a support email to MetroPC (the company who apparently is handling the refurbs) and am awaiting a response. Hopefully the horror stories in this thread are isolated incidents and not the norm.

iiibdsiil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iiibdsiil

Everything seems okay with mine. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

mysterytrout

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mysterytrout
iiibdsiil wrote:Everything seems okay with mine. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Mine appears to be fine as well.

I do feel bad for everyone that's had issues with woot! I've been buying stuff from them off and on for several years. But because of what I've read here I'll likely not spend any serious coin on any one item. If I really, really want something I'll probably look elsewhere.

auztone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auztone

Be warned as others say. These are not refurbished laptops. They are used laptops that have had the OS wiped and a very basic operation check. They don't even come cleaned. Still have garbage, hair, etc. stuck in the keyboard. Screen dirty and can have lots of scratches. I would save your money and time and buy either a factory refurbished or new.