zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Price: $64.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 27 to Tuesday, Jan 28) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/16/2014 - $64.99 - 53 comment(s)
1/15/2014 - $64.99 (Woot-off) - 55 comment(s)
12/11/2013 - $64.99 - 182 comment(s)

1/19/2014 - $64.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Price: $64.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard or $9 Two-Day or $12 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff

looks like a Roku STREAMLINED media player, to me!!

I like the new look!

mick66

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mick66

The Roku 3 isn't just a streaming media player, it's THE streaming media player.

mick66

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mick66
lstaff wrote:looks like a Roku STREAMLINED media player, to me!!

I like the new look!

It's not so new. It's been around for almost a year. ;)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3651 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page

and

read and watch this "outstanding" review over at cnet

and

great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

Milquetoast

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Milquetoast

Bought one of these last time around. Excellent product, much faster than the previous gens. Also, YouTube.

joshobra

quality posts: 38 Private Messages joshobra

UGH! I might just buy one since I didn't get one from betas..

/cries

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
Milquetoast wrote:Bought one of these last time around. Excellent product, much faster than the previous gens. Also, YouTube.

Me too--LEAGUES ahead of the previous models I own. Super fast, all the apps you want, and if you want to watch files you have on a computer, Plex is perfect and works almost flawlessly (hd move files can have buffer issues, but hd mp4 work great).

Seriously. I can't recommend the 3 enough.

sucker4crap

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sucker4crap

I bought a refurb on Woot in December and it's working good. Some problems with the remote loosing connection with the box. It's definitely a battery eater when you use the audio connection.

One thing that I would like to know is why the included headphones are NOT as pictured - they are cheap buds and do not fit my ear. I was assuming that the headphones would be original Roku in-ear phones - mine are not.

cascade2k

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cascade2k

Also bought one last time around and wound up with a bad remote. I was a little worried that the Roku people wouldn't help me out since I bought a refurb, but once I linked to the sale page and forwarded them my receipt, they spent a good two weeks trouble shooting with me via email. Eventually got a brand new remote and it works like a charm. The whole family loves the unit. Recommended buy.

9lives

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 9lives
sucker4crap wrote:I bought a refurb on Woot in December and it's working good. Some problems with the remote loosing connection with the box. It's definitely a battery eater when you use the audio connection.

One thing that I would like to know is why the included headphones are NOT as pictured - they are cheap buds and do not fit my ear. I was assuming that the headphones would be original Roku in-ear phones - mine are not.

I also bought a refurb here as few weeks back and while it works fine, i had some problems connecting the remote as well. Eventually after doing the manual connection and restarting the unit, it worked. My earphones are as pictured - not sure why you got a bum deal on those.

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

I have two earlier models and am thinking of replacing the oldest with this.

One question...maybe kind of silly...would I have to use their earbuds with the remote, or would any headphones with the correct sized jack work?

Thanks for the info, whoever might know...

ysteichman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ysteichman

Feel free to check out my post on deals.woot for a possible better deal.

gr8guns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gr8guns
ILGal wrote:I have two earlier models and am thinking of replacing the oldest with this.

One question...maybe kind of silly...would I have to use their earbuds with the remote, or would any headphones with the correct sized jack work?

Thanks for the info, whoever might know...

I use a set of Skull Candy with mine, and I love the sound. It is great for me because I have a high frequency hearing loss, and it makes watching tv good again.

The buds that came with my unit sounded muddled, the Skull Candy buds are much clearer.

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth
ysteichman wrote:Feel free to check out my post on deals.woot for a possible better deal.

Did it get pulled? I don't see it.

Looks like woot is going head-to-head with 1sale(aday). Same price if you buy just one. Woot wins if you buy multiples because of shipping.

countertenor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages countertenor

Bought one of these last month and haven't left the house since.

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69

Great system. I have no issues with reconditioned, but I am a bit perplexed about the woot price. In the good ole days of pre 2010 this would have had a better price. You can find these on sale somewhere throughout the year new for under $80. A wholesale club has it on sale with a free HDMI CORD and 30 free days of hulu plus for $75' NEW right now. I miss the great woot prices of years past.
If this was under $50, it would be a great price. I rather spend a few bucks more get it new with one year warranty.

atlwxman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atlwxman

89.99 with free shipping for a new one direct from Roku. Headphones not included.

http://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

Weird. They have the same one on Sellout Plus. It's been there all week. Why do they need to put it here too ? Why not something else ?
At least it's the same price.

belder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages belder

DOH! Don't miss the chance to get this. These are the models that already allow Youtube. I just bought a refurbished XD from "Woot!" a couple of weeks ago. Fast shipping /works great and I love it. (My third Roku) I'm saving about $75 a month by dropping DirecTV and going Roku.

ihatedealswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ihatedealswoot
bnbsouthworth wrote:Did it get pulled? I don't see it.

Looks like woot is going head-to-head with 1sale(aday). Same price if you buy just one. Woot wins if you buy multiples because of shipping.

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/cc4b6655-b0bd-4c52-962b-609370ef54eb/roku-3-streaming-player#49

arrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrith

To all the people talking about remote issues.... there's an app for that. You don't even have to have line of sight for it to work.

fxfuji

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fxfuji

Overall, I think Roku makes good streamers, but I have a major complaint about them. They constantly come up with new players and at the same time drop support for earlier versions, which means that features that are added to current-generation players are not added to older ones. That's their right, certainly, but I hate being forced to upgrade. In a sense, they are penalizing early adopters for supporting them too early. Don't buy a Roku product with the hope or expectations that you'll get new features; buy it only if it has the ones you think you'll want. (This includes channels.)

Spaztrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spaztrick

I was thinking about getting one of these but was curious how well it does on streaming your own content from a computer. I currently have a WDTV Live and only stream .mkv, avi, .mp3, etc and not even interested in Netflix or Hulu. So, how well does the Roku handle this?

wizwor

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wizwor

The Roku 3 is the flagship Roku streamer, but not the latest. Last fall Roku re-released the Roku series in a variety of configurations.

The Roku 3 is distinguished from the rest by 1) its lack of composite out, and 2) its 5x faster cpu. The Roku 3 and the latest Roku 2 both have an earbud jack on the remote and the requisite wi-fi remote.

The 5x processor has no impact on streaming media performance. Obviously, it excites people who navigate the menus a lot, but some who have owned the R3 for a while complain that the interface gets laggy after a couple days and that the Roku needs to be rebooted to restore satisfactory performance. In theory, the faster processor should help with apps (games), but, to date, no app has been released that taxes the slower Roku models.

Two issues with the remote: 1) Running the wifi radio to stream audio to the earbud jack dramatically reduces battery life, and 2) some have complained that the Roku has adversely impacted the response of the remote and other wifi devices on their network. Unless all you listen to privately, you may be better off getting a wireless head set that plugs directly into the television.

Lack of composite output means you cannot use the Roku 3 with a television that does not have an HDMI input. Make sure your television has an HDMI input before pulling the trigger here.

I use the composite out for audio in on my sound bar and HTIB. The roku in my living room is attached to a 50" plasma. My wife uses the Roku as an internet radio. Rather than leave the 50" plasma running all day, I routed the composite audio to the aux in of the HTIB and turn off the tv once the radio is running -- less wear and tear on the television and a lower electricity bill.

I'm not saying you should not purchase this Roku 3. The price is right. Just wanted to point out some stuff that is not printed on the box ;-)

jimpugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimpugh

Don't do it. The ROKU player is fine. Get a new one from ROKU so you'll have support. Purchased 2 the last time they were offered on Woot, neither one worked, Woot was notified of this fact the day they arrived and has yet to send the RAN and labels to finalize the return of these defective items. It's been 5 weeks since I first contacted them about the problem. I have contacted them 6 additional times and now have a collection of "catchy case numbers" but the ROKU players still sit in the house. Woot's follow thru is pathetic.

wizwor

jimpugh wrote:Don't do it. The ROKU player is fine. Get a new one from ROKU so you'll have support. Purchased 2 the last time they were offered on Woot, neither one worked, Woot was notified of this fact the day they arrived and has yet to send the RAN and labels to finalize the return of these defective items. It's been 5 weeks since I first contacted them about the problem. I have contacted them 6 additional times and now have a collection of "catchy case numbers" but the ROKU players still sit in the house. Woot's follow thru is pathetic.

Contact Roku directly about this. I have purchased five refurbs. Only one had a problem. I chatted with Roku support for about ten minutes, then they sent a new one.

cokonut1056

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cokonut1056

The ad says it will stream music from my phone or tablet, does that mean it will work with my IPad Air?

wizwor

belder wrote:DOH! Don't miss the chance to get this. These are the models that already allow Youtube. I just bought a refurbished XD from "Woot!" a couple of weeks ago. Fast shipping /works great and I love it. (My third Roku) I'm saving about $75 a month by dropping DirecTV and going Roku.

All models support YouTube.

nucleardrugs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nucleardrugs

I purchased three of these last time. I gave one to my father in law for use in a retirement home and expected the worst. Unlike the cable box, he can read the menus and access the programming with no issues and the simple remote that doesn't change the television settings. Between the free movies on Redbox and Amazon he returned one converter and couldn't be happier. Ordering a second one at his request for the bedroom so he can cancel the cable and use the remote with headphones in bed at night.

wizwor

cokonut1056 wrote:The ad says it will stream music from my phone or tablet, does that mean it will work with my IPad Air?

from the Roku FAQ...

The Roku iOS app can be used on these Apple devices:

- iPhone 3G and later
- iPod Touch 2nd generation and later
- iPad

You can use the Roku app on any generation of iPad. However, at this time, we do not offer an iPad-optimized version of the Roku iOS app.

Apple devices need to have iOS version 4.3 or higher installed.

wizwor

Spaztrick wrote:I was thinking about getting one of these but was curious how well it does on streaming your own content from a computer. I currently have a WDTV Live and only stream .mkv, avi, .mp3, etc and not even interested in Netflix or Hulu. So, how well does the Roku handle this?

Not as well as your WDTV. Less formats and containers supported and more issues streaming. I stream using Plex and Playon. Most of the time, things are great, but sometimes the files (all mp4 for me) sputter and occasionally the box reboots.

rcl3027

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcl3027
cokonut1056 wrote:The ad says it will stream music from my phone or tablet, does that mean it will work with my IPad Air?

No. You would need an Apple TV for that. Unless someone in this forum has a hack for that.

RolandL

rcl3027

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcl3027
wizwor wrote:from the Roku FAQ...

The Roku iOS app can be used on these Apple devices:

- iPhone 3G and later
- iPod Touch 2nd generation and later
- iPad

You can use the Roku app on any generation of iPad. However, at this time, we do not offer an iPad-optimized version of the Roku iOS app.

Apple devices need to have iOS version 4.3 or higher installed.

The Roku app for the iOS devices makes your Apple device a remote control for the Roku.

RolandL

scubajoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scubajoe

This is the ONE (for the moment), all other ROKUs will not do once you try the 3. If you have older units replace them now and give your old ones out as gifts.

Joseph A Husosky

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

I purchased one of these new from Amazon.com for about $20 more.

The main unit is surprisingly small. The remote is no-brainer simple. And best of all it works really well. Roku uses some kind of algorithm that starts streaming almost immediately at a low quality signal and then within a moment or two gets sharper and sharper.

I can never see remotes at night because the room is dark. So the best part is you can use the Roku app your smart phone to control the content. And using your smart phones keyboard is so much better than poking at the on screen characters when you need to enter text and passwords.

Great little product. Great array of channels to chose from. And a great price. We love ours. A lot.

timhart1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timhart1
wizwor wrote:Contact Roku directly about this. I have purchased five refurbs. Only one had a problem. I chatted with Roku support for about ten minutes, then they sent a new one.

Your support by woot/amazon is correct.

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye
mrsly69 wrote:Great system. I have no issues with reconditioned, but I am a bit perplexed about the woot price. In the good ole days of pre 2010 this would have had a better price. You can find these on sale somewhere throughout the year new for under $80. A wholesale club has it on sale with a free HDMI CORD and 30 free days of hulu plus for $75' NEW right now. I miss the great woot prices of years past.
If this was under $50, it would be a great price. I rather spend a few bucks more get it new with one year warranty.

New Roku's only come with a 90 day warranty, same as the refurbs. Got two refurbs recently, neither one is the 3, and have had no trouble with either. Thinking of grabbing this deal too...