hanshaw1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanshaw1

I purchased this same model from Grouponfor $129.99. Great little laptop for my youngest son.

editorkid

quality posts: 95 Private Messages editorkid
morninglark wrote:Sorry if I am over sensitive to this older people don't understand electronics crap--I get it every time I go to the store to shop for electronics--and I usually know more than the kid talking down to me.

I hope that the next time our generation invents the Internet, we're smart enough not to let kids on it again.

(My dad helped invent speech synthesis and speech recognition for the Air Force in the '60s. Seriously, kids just don't know.)

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

@robbieglen, ahh, the spiral notebook for passwords & howto notes... that brings back fond memories of my (now departed) 90+ year old grandmother using her 1-1/2 inch thick Dell laptop running Windows 98. She was fearless and wrote a weekly post on our family blog as well as comfortably using email.

When she wasn't using it as a laptop, it was a digital family picture frame via the screensaver.

robbieglen wrote:Got three of them for Christmas for grandchildren (7, 7, 9). First computers and they're doing just fine. As the family IT person (even tho I'm 70+, respect for the student is paramount! think they're stupid and they won't learn much. Meet her where she is (not in the monkey cage) explain it in her terms of reference and get her a small spiral bound book to record the passwords. (I have literally tied my to my desk). These things are fun, easy, simple and necessary.

editorkid

I got a similar Samsung Chromebook a few months ago, and it sits unused. It's light and fast enough, but it does five things and only five things:

Light Web surfing (seriously, nothing too strenuous)
Gmail (no outside mail... excuse me, my oldest email address dates back to 1981 and I'm not going to stop using it)
Light word processing
Light spreadsheets
Light presentations (those three all through Google Docs so I'm being generous counting them as three)

The only reason to get this instead of a similarly priced Android tablet is that you live and breathe the Google and you need a keyboard. I installed Linux on it and it got even worse; I've never backed out of an install so fast. (And teknickel, I designed, coded, and shipped one of the first email readers for the Mac back in the days of the Source, CompuServe, and TBBS, so lighten up, y'know?)

Don't count on the 100GB Google Drive offer. Google's support pages stress that it's strictly for new machines. That said, mine was a refurb and I got it. You may squeak through somehow; you may not. If you do, have an exit plan for the last day of year 2.

Anyway, at this point I have mine configured for blog posts. It's odd that people think the storage, speed, and functional limitations are OK for this but rail against them on tablets.

ebnub

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ebnub

Can anybody tell me about watching video files on a Chromebook? This device would be ideal for me when traveling however only if I'm able to watch video files while offline. Would I need to have them saved to an external flash or hdd to do so? What about DVD or BluRay disks if I used a USB optical drive?

sleddog218

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleddog218

I'm considering this for my 8th grader, who has handwriting issues, to use in his (non-wifi) classroom to take notes on. He'll have access to wifi at home, but will this work for school? I've used google docs a little myself, but always with a laptop and a wifi connection. I just want to make sure that he can save docs at school and use them (and sync them) when he gets home each day. Thanks for any who can offer advice!

jj2me

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jj2me
eklebau wrote:I bought one from the same place you did I think. Please point me in the right direction to do exactly what you did. Will it let you boot from something hooked up to the usb? I can't seem to find a bios setup or anything at all.

I also bought the $130 one with 320 GB hard drive. Different from the poster you asked, I installed Crouton/XFCE.

Some useful links:

Chrbuntu:
http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-acers-199-c7-chromebook/

Crouton:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

Comparison:
http://it-nthusiast.blogspot.com/2013/05/ubuntu-linux-on-chromebook-crouton-vs.html

Hardware upgrades:
http://normcf.net/~john/chromebook/Acer/acerChromebookUpgrade.html

alansussna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alansussna

New chromebooks come with 12 free GoGo inflight wifi passes. Does this one? Thanks.

cardan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cardan
sleddog218 wrote:I'm considering this for my 8th grader, who has handwriting issues, to use in his (non-wifi) classroom to take notes on. He'll have access to wifi at home, but will this work for school? I've used google docs a little myself, but always with a laptop and a wifi connection. I just want to make sure that he can save docs at school and use them (and sync them) when he gets home each day. Thanks for any who can offer advice!

There is an offline notepad type program if he doesn't have Wifi.. These things are definitely designed for students.. Cheap, disposable, and little to no local data to lose. The 710 will be challenged to make it a full school day, again I stress get the 720 or better.. Only buy one of these things with the Haswell series chips.. that is where the power and battery comes from.

cardan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cardan
editorkid wrote:I got a similar Samsung Chromebook a few months ago, and it sits unused. It's light and fast enough, but it does five things and only five things:

Light Web surfing (seriously, nothing too strenuous)
Gmail (no outside mail... excuse me, my oldest email address dates back to 1981 and I'm not going to stop using it)
Light word processing
Light spreadsheets
Light presentations (those three all through Google Docs so I'm being generous counting them as three)

The only reason to get this instead of a similarly priced Android tablet is that you live and breathe the Google and you need a keyboard. I installed Linux on it and it got even worse; I've never backed out of an install so fast. (And teknickel, I designed, coded, and shipped one of the first email readers for the Mac back in the days of the Source, CompuServe, and TBBS, so lighten up, y'know?)

Don't count on the 100GB Google Drive offer. Google's support pages stress that it's strictly for new machines. That said, mine was a refurb and I got it. You may squeak through somehow; you may not. If you do, have an exit plan for the last day of year 2.

Anyway, at this point I have mine configured for blog posts. It's odd that people think the storage, speed, and functional limitations are OK for this but rail against them on tablets.

I challenge you to take another look.. yours may be a boat anchor, but the haswell based chromebooks do excellent with tons of work and battery life.. As to email, I get my Yahoo, gmail, and corporate email on it.. I am not sure what else you want.. it works with hotmail..

But no skin off my back if you don't.. At this point Chromebooks with real laptop parts are filling a good niche space. I love the ultra light weight of this, and am starting to prefer it for work over my ipad.

karisk81

quality posts: 7 Private Messages karisk81
eklebau wrote:I bought one from the same place you did I think. Please point me in the right direction to do exactly what you did. Will it let you boot from something hooked up to the usb? I can't seem to find a bios setup or anything at all.

If I remember correctly, you have to take off a panel somewhere on the back and flip a switch to put it into "developer" mode.

beardgod

quality posts: 3 Private Messages beardgod
cardan wrote:Local storage is mostly a non issue.. the HDD based one has very poor battery life.. Google gives you free 100GB of Google drive for 2 years, and it has very tight integration with the OS.. I have tried various USB drives and they all work as well.. So getting to external data is very easy, and a 16 or 32 GB thumb drive is very inexpensive. In fact you can watch movies offline by doing just that with a thumb drive..

NOTE...this is a refurb and my understanding from other sales and sites is that it does NOT come with the 100GB of free storage for 2 years...if the unit was previously used and the user registered the device to get the free storage then it is gone...This was actually important to me (I picked up a new Chromebook 14 for the screen size and the 4G antenna) and also figured it was $120 cheaper since I was already paying $5/month for the 100GB at Google. Just don't expect to get the storage (or the 12 GoGo airpasses) with a refurb. BTW I love my Chromebook!

beardgod

alansussna wrote:New chromebooks come with 12 free GoGo inflight wifi passes. Does this one? Thanks.

Not according to Google support (only for new units) and really it comes down to whether the first owner registered the unit and took the passes...you can always roll the dice. I just used my first GoGO pass the other day and it was nice to have.

beardgod

sleddog218 wrote:I'm considering this for my 8th grader, who has handwriting issues, to use in his (non-wifi) classroom to take notes on. He'll have access to wifi at home, but will this work for school? I've used google docs a little myself, but always with a laptop and a wifi connection. I just want to make sure that he can save docs at school and use them (and sync them) when he gets home each day. Thanks for any who can offer advice!

My daughter is in 6th Grade and uses her's for just this purpose...they actually have Wifi in the classroom, but she often has it with her in the car and when we are out and about and she works on it offline all the time. Here is a link to Chrome Support:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en

Oh and mine has handwriting issues too! Who knew a keyboard would be such a godsend!

editorkid

cardan wrote:I challenge you to take another look.. yours may be a boat anchor, but the haswell based chromebooks do excellent with tons of work and battery life.. As to email, I get my Yahoo, gmail, and corporate email on it.. I am not sure what else you want.. it works with hotmail..

But no skin off my back if you don't.. At this point Chromebooks with real laptop parts are filling a good niche space. I love the ultra light weight of this, and am starting to prefer it for work over my ipad.

Fair enough... it sounds like you've got a good use case. I can't justify buying another one just to see if it's better, though. (Also, speed isn't one of my complaints. If speed is ever an issue, don't live in the cloud. Oh, wait.) And it's still going to run into all of the same limitations. Students and folks who have very light work and browsing to do will find these machines a treat. For what they are, if it's all you want, they're inexpensive and light.

sleddog218

beardgod wrote:My daughter is in 6th Grade and uses her's for just this purpose...they actually have Wifi in the classroom, but she often has it with her in the car and when we are out and about and she works on it offline all the time. Here is a link to Chrome Support:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en

Oh and mine has handwriting issues too! Who knew a keyboard would be such a godsend!

Thank you for the response, and the link! I ordered (actually the 720 through Amazon) and hoping it does the trick!

sleddog218

cardan wrote:There is an offline notepad type program if he doesn't have Wifi.. These things are definitely designed for students.. Cheap, disposable, and little to no local data to lose. The 710 will be challenged to make it a full school day, again I stress get the 720 or better.. Only buy one of these things with the Haswell series chips.. that is where the power and battery comes from.

Thank you Cardan, I appreciate the input. I actually did end up going w/ the 720 from Amazon instead, should work like a charm!

kabraxcis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kabraxcis
woottoady wrote:Is the SSD standard laptop size/connector/replaceable? I have a spare 500GB SSD that I could upfit this unit with.

Do HD videos (720p+)play smoothly on this?

I doubt it. I loaded my sister's chromebook (same model) with a 64GB sd card with decent read/write with various (2gb~10gb 720, 1080p) videos and it was unable to play any of them properly (audio issues) on both chromeOS and chrubuntu video players.

asmithdev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asmithdev
jj2me wrote:I also bought the $130 one with 320 GB hard drive. Different from the poster you asked, I installed Crouton/XFCE.

Some useful links:

Chrbuntu:
http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-acers-199-c7-chromebook/

Crouton:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

Comparison:
http://it-nthusiast.blogspot.com/2013/05/ubuntu-linux-on-chromebook-crouton-vs.html

Hardware upgrades:
http://normcf.net/~john/chromebook/Acer/acerChromebookUpgrade.html

I also provided my version..

http://asmithdev.com/home/?p=1978

PaulSedlak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PaulSedlak

I got the 320gb version (not this 16gb SSD) in early January from Woot, and i love it. Screen resolution and performance are great.

MoreWootlessComments

grykajos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grykajos

I have this and it's great for kids. If you've ever had your computer gunked up with spyware/viruses, it's impossible for that to happen on this computer. Each kid has their own profile, and it works well for guests. I think there are 8 profiles on ours, it's constantly in use, and it's never had an issue.

connors

quality posts: 0 Private Messages connors

Has anybody successfully returned anything from Woot? I been buying for years with no problems until a bought something that does not work.
Can not get them to do anything,

Please help

glfaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages glfaholic

Noted.. touchy mothers are afoot.

My question is.. if you take it into a coffee shop or an airport, how intuitive is it to connect it to wifi assuming you only know how to open internet explorer and solitaire. I tried to get my mother an android tablet a year or so ago and she called me to try and connect to wifi in an airport and gave up in about 5 minutes and it has sat collecting dust in a drawer since then.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
glfaholic wrote:Noted.. touchy mothers are afoot.

My question is.. if you take it into a coffee shop or an airport, how intuitive is it to connect it to wifi assuming you only know how to open internet explorer and solitaire. I tried to get my mother an android tablet a year or so ago and she called me to try and connect to wifi in an airport and gave up in about 5 minutes and it has sat collecting dust in a drawer since then.

Age or inexperience aside, it just isn't a "Nerf" toy world where nothing can go wrong and nothing can hurt you. Some of this stuff (including cameras) requires some patient time reading and studying the instructions. People of all ages are so distracted today and have short attention spans. Or, as an IT friend once quipped, "Some people should just have typewriters."

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

SupportThrowaway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SupportThrowaway

Still having to hijack threads so Support will pay attention. Woot, you have $484.99 of my money and I'd like it returned. After my last hijack, you wrote to me, I replied with the corrections, and now more radio silence. Please fix your error.

- CallMeAl82

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark
glfaholic wrote:Noted.. touchy mothers are afoot.

Public wifi areas sometimes have issues unrelated to the hardware. That said, your mother will need to be able to recognize the wifi symbol and click it. She will also need to be able to select an unlocked wifi signal (unless she has the password) using the mouse. Here is a link to the process.
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047420?hl=en

armiche

quality posts: 0 Private Messages armiche

Do you sell to Canadian customer

robbieglen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbieglen
robbieglen wrote:

For most use you do need a wi-fi connection. Take a look at the Google App Store, browse through, there may be one that would work off line. There are a number of apps to use with a child with handwriting challenges- speech to text, and several keyboarding apps. Really helpful in providing another way for a child to learn. And it's easy to learn.

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

armiche wrote:Do you sell to Canadian customer

You'd need to have a U.S. billing address and payment method, as well as a U.S. shipping address--maybe a friend or family member that could forward the package along.

Hope that helps.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

taurine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages taurine

I have HDD version of this Acer Chromebook and am pretty happy with it. I put Ubuntu on it for times I need to compile some Java. Otherwise, ChromeOS covers 90% of my needs, and would probably cover all of the needs for a family member new to the internet. The settings are very minimal, more so than with an Android tablet, so there's less chance of them breaking it. There's only one folder called "Downloads", which would also be a lot simpler for a new user than trying to explain Linux file systems or what C:\ is.

It's perfect for a new computer user or Facebook addict, and half-decent for a power user once you put Ubuntu on it.

disraeli

quality posts: 7 Private Messages disraeli
morninglark wrote:
Sorry if I am over sensitive to this older people don't understand electronics crap--I get it every time I go to the store to shop for electronics--and I usually know more than the kid talking down to me.

I feel ya, I'm in my 60s, got my first computer in 1979.

But in semi-retirement, I do 4 hours a day of internet support for a DSL provider, receiving customer calls through a VPN, and I cannot tell you how many times I've spoken to folks a decade younger than me who contract brain freeze as soon as they have to do anything more complex than clicking a brightly colored weblink.
It's not that it's actually difficult -- the most complex thing we're likely to do involves running ipconfig, or swapping around some ethernet cords -- but the word "computer" seems to render them helpless.

Technically, the glass is always full.

whackly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whackly

i realize that in the contents of the box it lists only the laptop and the power adapter but in the specs it lists a battery. was i foolish to presume it would come with a battery? it didn't. that's... annoying.

steaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steaman

I just got my chromebook and it has a battery

badgerbreeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badgerbreeze

Bought this unit as a back up when traveling and have found it does not work at all, support from Liquidation and WOOT non existant. cannot even access start menu Chrome OS USB stick needed to recover, seems to me a reconditioned unit should have had that system installed and running. Just hope I can get my money back. Not a happy WOOTer right now

badgerbreeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badgerbreeze
whackly wrote:i realize that in the contents of the box it lists only the laptop and the power adapter but in the specs it lists a battery. was i foolish to presume it would come with a battery? it didn't. that's... annoying.

I have a battery just can't access the start menu!