zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Acer 15.6" Full HD Core i5 Convertible Laptop
Price: $479.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Jan 31 to Monday, Feb 03) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

elpepe

quality posts: 12 Private Messages elpepe

Only a $200 discount on a used item from NEW? For an older model...?

This is a really nice computer, and I would be all over this if it were $100 cheaper.

Shinespark

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Shinespark

This design just looks... awkward. The trackpad thing probably wouldn't bother me but the fact it can't lay flat as a tablet would get kind of irritating, I feel.

Also, a higher res touchscreen this size was begging to have a digitizer, and they didn't bother to put one in on these first gens.

cymbalmonkey

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cymbalmonkey

Really? Benebatch Freeman?

Whomever it was that came up with that one deserves to be pushed off the roof of St. Bart's.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3488 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and let's check out this review over at anandtech.com

Corrosive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Corrosive

I had one of these and loved it. I used it in law school and it served me well. The trackpad placement is odd, but when you move the screen closer and cover it, then it makes complete sense because you end up just tapping the screen. Also if you need a mouse, bluetooth mice work much better anyway.

rgriffin09

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rgriffin09

The only commonly recurring problems I'm seeing in the reviews are:

1. The fact that it doesn't close all the way.

2. A common problem with wifi connection.

Some people have found ways to work around the wifi issue.

When it comes to the trackpad placement behind the keyboard, many people seem to really like it because they don't accidentally touch the trackpad while using the keyboard.

sdc100

quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
Corrosive wrote:I had one of these and loved it. I used it in law school and it served me well. The trackpad placement is odd, but when you move the screen closer and cover it, then it makes complete sense because you end up just tapping the screen. Also if you need a mouse, bluetooth mice work much better anyway.

The misplaced trackpad is possibly a dealbreaker for me. I have touchscreen laptops as well as an Asus tablet with keyboard so I'm pretty familiar with touchscreens. Still, I hate them except for limited use. Basically, they're very inefficient. Movement is done on a 1-to-1 ratio, whereas on a trackpad, a small distance can make a large screen movement. Furthermore, you have to lift your hand each time, which can be tiring. Finally, it's a break in form to have to remove your hand from the keyboard, which slows down productivity. If I bought this, I'll probably have to buy a mouse or external trackpad.

steveb944

quality posts: 10 Private Messages steveb944

You'll need those top names because this is a baby making machine. If this doesn't break the ice and get you women nothing will.

On a more serious note I do think the trackpad placement helps a lot for those unintended touches. My sister has a regular Acer and that thing's trackpad is way too sensitive. Also once you go touch, especially on Win 8, it's very intuitive so there's no going back. But as others have stated, BT mouse is the way to go if you need it

russdog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages russdog

I had one of these and loved it. I took it back and got the updated replacement model because I wanted the digitizer pen capability. I had zero problems with WiFI (that's old news by now). The screen is wonderful.

But the big thing is the combination of the keyboard placement and the ability to move the botton of the screen forward to just behind the keyboard. This accomplishes 2 things:

1. It makes the trackpad mostly obsolete (I only used it once in a while when I needed super-precision). Why? Because touching the screen is infinitely more natural and convenient because it's suddenly in the right place, you're not reaching for it, it's right there where you need it to be.

2. It completely changed my mind about Windows 8.1. Before this machine, I hated Win8, thought it was just a stupid idea. This machine makes it great. The main problem with Win8.1 is that laptops aren't designed for it. This one *is* designed for it.

Bottom line: The only single thing about this layout that's not perfect is that it needs a trackstick. Without a trackstick, then you occasionally need to either (a) shove the screen back an inch or two to use the trackpad, or (b) use a digitizer pen which won't work with this 1st version, or (c) use Acer's AccuFinger software trick that helps you point more precisely on the touchscreen. All 3 of those methods work OK, but a trackstick (plus 2 mouse buttons on the forward edge of the keyboard) would make this thing absolutely perfect.

As is, it's still pretty close to the ideal machine for Win 8.1. Plus, it offers a lot for the money at regular prices. At the price here, it's a steal. (Of course, this assumes that you're open to changing old habits. Some folks will just hate on it because it's different. I think that just might reflect a lack of imagination ;-)

Russell L. Shackelford

kcchiefsguru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcchiefsguru

Very interested in this but the wifi issue has me concerned. Did they fix it? Does already having a dual band router completely eliminate the issue?

erelyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erelyn

So with this refurb, do you think the wifi issue was fixed? and if it wasn't fixed, would acer accept to fix it?

motleykru

quality posts: 1 Private Messages motleykru

Any chance this has a back-lit keyboard? My current laptop has that feature and I would never go back...

zfactor

quality posts: 11 Private Messages zfactor

nice, like someone else said if this was 100$ cheaper id have ordered 3 by now. maybe even 50$ cheaper. but even still im torn on buying one.

mjchacko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjchacko

How the heck can you use this as a laptop when the mouse is above the keyboard? #FAIL

Machaan

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

I bought my son for Christmas an Acer 15.6" 1920x1080 I5 laptop V5-572P-6858. This thing is a beautiful piece of hardware- I was way impressed considering it only cost me $499 new. The touch panel on my sons's laptop is awesome and probably the same one that is on today's laptop. This thing is vibrant and even better than the 1920x1080 panel that is on my Toshiba laptop. This is a great deal, the whole trackpad thing is not a big deal to me, because I use mice. This is such a great concept to, if this were available at this price- when I bought my son's laptop, I would have purchased this instead. This has dual band wifi, the Acer laptop I have also has dual band wifi- and I don't have any issues- I use the 5Ghz band at home, but I have used the 2.4ghz with no problems. It's possible the wifi issues might have been fixed when refurbed. In the worst case scenario your wifi doesn't work that well, they have lots of cheap small USB adapters that do pretty well. Bottom line is that this is a great deal on a nice I5 with full HD laptop that is touch, throw in the fact that it has all these convertible options- makes this outstanding.

gak0090

motleykru wrote:Any chance this has a back-lit keyboard? My current laptop has that feature and I would never go back...

"Orient the screen like a traditional laptop for easy access to a touchscreen, a touchpad and a backlit keyboard. The backlighting not only looks cool, but it also helps guide your fingers while typing in dimly lit areas."

http://store.acer.com/store?SiteID=acerna&Action=Content&pbPage=AspireR7&pgm=88341000

gak0090

mjchacko wrote:How the heck can you use this as a laptop when the mouse is above the keyboard? #FAIL

I thought this was odd to, but if you look at user reviews you'll find people didn't mind it so much and some people preferred it - because their palm wasn't resting on the mouse any more.

gak0090

sdc100 wrote:The misplaced trackpad is possibly a dealbreaker for me. I have touchscreen laptops as well as an Asus tablet with keyboard so I'm pretty familiar with touchscreens. Still, I hate them except for limited use. Basically, they're very inefficient. Movement is done on a 1-to-1 ratio, whereas on a trackpad, a small distance can make a large screen movement. Furthermore, you have to lift your hand each time, which can be tiring. Finally, it's a break in form to have to remove your hand from the keyboard, which slows down productivity. If I bought this, I'll probably have to buy a mouse or external trackpad.

Your movement argument regarding track vs touch needs to also take into consideration that a touch interface means you can directly touch a particular point instead for moving a cursor to that point. I'm not saying that touch is where it is all at, but it's nice to have all options available. I watch my 8 year old son navigate windows 8 using the mouse,touchscreen and keyboard short cuts - with way more dexterity and efficiency than I ever had- mostly because the touch options were never there. You get use to doing something a certain way, you start to assume that innovations don't have the true impact they actually do.

ganach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ganach

I have two of these. Love them. I bought one and then a second conventional touchscreen laptop. For touchscreen, the trackpad placement and ezel screen allows for far more efficient operation. I returned the conventional touchscreen laptio and bought another one of these.

Boot is very fast with hybrid HD.

Very functional, efficient and very versatile, no matter how or where I use it. Love it.

And it looks cool too

kenstogie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenstogie

I am somewhat torn. Looking for a powerful tablet

First - I wished it'd lay flat and Second - Battery Life is to short at 4hours

nonetheless i am still mulling it around.

**I wonder if I could put a SSD HD in here and how much that would increase batt life?? anyone know??

royinflorida

quality posts: 1 Private Messages royinflorida

Pulled the trigger just hope the WiFi issue has been resolved in the refurb process or Acer will still fix it. I need to use it in hotels that may not have dual band routers

gak0090

royinflorida wrote:Pulled the trigger just hope the WiFi issue has been resolved in the refurb process or Acer will still fix it. I need to use it in hotels that may not have dual band routers

If you do get wifi issues, this is a cheap option to try ($10 free ship). I keep one of these handy- they work pretty well given their size. Most of the time it does fine receiving signal, if the signal is weak then I just attach it to USB extension. I had a laptop that had the wireless card go bad, and with this I could keep it plugged in all the time, because it was so small it was never a hinderance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091

3rdrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3rdrock

I almost pulled the trigger on this laptop but after checking out customer reviews I decided against. The reviews are just one horror story after another.

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea

WOOT, you continue to add tax when I try and purchase something, below are the comments from the 26th of January. What do I need to do to get this fixed? My emails go unanswered and I get promises like below but no resolution.
--------------------------------
"Okay WOOT, I asked this on the last receiver and you promised me an answer but still haven't heard back from anyone. How can you charge APO/FPO sales tax? I don't live in any state, and you are adding $24.94 in sales tax? APO/FPO do not pay taxes on anything to include food or items from the PX or items shipped via USPS. Where exactly would you send the $24.94 to that you are collecting in sales tax? I will ask again, please fix this error, APO/FPO users should not be charged sales tax.

Just to confirm, I just went to Amazon and added the same receiver above and Amazon did not charge me any sales tax so how can WOOT, who is owned by Amazon, try and charge me sales tax but Amazon doesn't? Amazon has it right WOOT so please fix it so I can get some items I want like this receiver and the last receiver I didn't get because of the error.

I'll let the $0.70 you charged me on the Bungled Original Communicator slide but adding $24.94 in sales tax to this receiver is no deal at all."

--------------------------------

"Very sorry to hear about the APO/FPO tax confusion.

I've gone ahead and pinged Woot Staff with the question and will hopefully have an answer later this morning.

Thank you for your inquiry."

jessiholl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessiholl
rgriffin09 wrote:The only commonly recurring problems I'm seeing in the reviews are:

1. The fact that it doesn't close all the way.

2. A common problem with wifi connection.

Some people have found ways to work around the wifi issue.

When it comes to the trackpad placement behind the keyboard, many people seem to really like it because they don't accidentally touch the trackpad while using the keyboard.

I purchased this computer in November 2013 new, and it is fantastic.
I don't know where this 'closing all the way' problem started. In laptop position, it closes all the way like other laptops.
I think there might be confusion around the tablet feature: when you flip the screen all the way around and flatten it over the keyboard to be a tablet, it has a bit of an angle resting on the hinge. I believe this is by design, because the screen will rotate fairly quickly to adjust to orientation. The tilt helps you keep the orientation straight when you're moving around. It is ergonomic if you're walking/standing while using the tablet position, the tilt over the hinge provides a great place to grab hold behind the screen.
I haven't had any wi-fi issues.
I agree with the trackpad comments, above, and I use a wireless mouse, fingers, or a stylus most of the time.

Great computer for half what I paid 4 months ago!

jessiholl

motleykru wrote:Any chance this has a back-lit keyboard? My current laptop has that feature and I would never go back...

YES! The keyboard has very nice white-backlit keys! That was a requirement for me, since I do most of my work after kids are in bed. AND it only comes on when typing in low-light/darkness. It does not waste battery life lighting the keys in daylight.

jessiholl

kenstogie wrote:I am somewhat torn. Looking for a powerful tablet

**I wonder if I could put a SSD HD in here and how much that would increase batt life?? anyone know??

I don't mind the tilt in tablet position, it keeps the screen from rotating needlessly.
Battery life is actually great. I bought mine new in November 2013 and I work easily 6 hours straight with no charging, sometimes longer.

RE: SSD I don't know about that

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

What's up with the reluctance? Where else are you going to get these specs/features for this price?

i5 CPU, full HD touch display, SSD/Hard drive, tablet convertibility, Factory re-certified vs. generic refurb, etc...

If I weren't already in trouble with the tech police, I'd be grabbing one of these.

Even from Acer's own eBay store, the price is $594.99 vs. Woot's $479.99 price!

Acer eBay store

...and it's $549.99, generically refurbed @ Newegg.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

cymbalmonkey wrote:Really? Benebatch Freeman?

Whomever it was that came up with that one deserves to be pushed off the roof of St. Bart's.

...how do you know it would actually kill me??

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob

When I see this many pictures, completely avoiding ever showing the BOTTOM of the unit, I'm forced to wonder ... what could be there????????????

Is the battery swappable?

what, Me, sig?

s0xm0nk3y

quality posts: 1 Private Messages s0xm0nk3y
PemberDucky wrote:...how do you know it would actually kill me??

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
obob wrote:When I see this many pictures, completely avoiding ever showing the BOTTOM of the unit, I'm forced to wonder ... what could be there????????????

Is the battery swappable?

@obob, no pics of the bottom sometimes means the best thing - a smooth bottom.

Actually, you can see the bottom in the video review above, about half way or so thru. While it's mostly smooth, there are a few divots and breather holes.

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob

Well, I searched, just as I would have to if I bought the unit, for an additional battery. Found several sources (e.g. ~$86 from an amazon assiciate), and from the picture it's fairly clear that my answer is "sort of"

what, Me, sig?

justdoingmyjob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justdoingmyjob

Something I would like to see in my lifetime: To lookup an Intel processor on cpubenchmark.net and not see the rating/price ratio be zero. Where to the really "good" processors go? Do I need to find that info on Wikileaks?

purdueguy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purdueguy1
kenstogie wrote:I am somewhat torn. Looking for a powerful tablet

Keep in mind that 15.6" is HUGE for a tablet. Generally an 8" tablet is considered very portable, a 10" tablet is somewhat portable. So, a 5lb 15.6" tablet is not going to be pleasant to carry around regularly. It's more likely to be nice to have in meetings where you can get the screen down low & not feel like you have a wall between you & others, or you can let others see the screen more easily.

phieuau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phieuau

I was wondering if the mSATA cache drive can be replaced with say a larger 128gb ssd mSATA and made to be a boot drive and keep the existing 500gb as storage. Has anyone done this and does this Acer support this?

saramhan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saramhan

I bought this item from Woot, and once I plug the code out, few seconds later it shuts down, even though it is fully charged. Even with a small movement it shuts down. I sent already two emails to Woot to return this product but nobody answers! What's wrong with this website?!