4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86

This has been listed on previous woot several times and pretty good review on this unit too.

Anyway, is it true that the 160GB drive is actually an Intel X25-M SSD or any other SSD?

This laptop makes very good daily office work/multimedia (watching movies, content consumption). The processor is a first gen i5 but should still have enough oomph for this daily computing.

ienvyno1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ienvyno1

No HDMI? No sale.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3492 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this review over at laptopmag.com

and

TONS of comments from when this was offered in December

and

OK review (3.5 out of 5.0) over at techradar.com and check out the "average" check from notebookcheck.com

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

Processor released first quarter of 2010. Wow that's an old laptop.

Comment from the previous Woot sale...

MyPooka

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MyPooka
ienvyno1 wrote:No HDMI? No sale.

It has a DisplayPort, and DisplayPort to HDMI adapters can be had for cheap.

piwor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piwor

I serious doubt it is a SSD with a 5400 rpm drive.

shortwave8669

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shortwave8669

Purchased this in a previous Woot. Really couldn't pass it up. Very difficult to find many Win7 around. No bloatware installed!!

Very happy with this as my occasional travel laptop. 4 USB 2.0 ports. Connected to 24-in ext LED monitor. The lack of HDMI isn't a problem. I'm using the VGA port

At home this laptop is used mainly to serve about 4TB of .tivo files to my Tivo DVRs with the external HDD connected to the laptop.

When you 1st receive this laptop you will need to re-install the audio driver to re-activate the ext. MIC and headset jacks. HP has the driver available on the support page.

FYI, this laptop will arrive with 2 photocopied pages explaining how to launch the OS the 1st time and no other documentation. No manuals or any kind of user guide. Not much of a problem as the HP site has these to D/L if needed.

Obviously this laptop is not spec'd for the heaviest gaming or video processing. But for serving video files, fast web surfing, watching streaming video this works very, very well.

HideOut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HideOut

the 3 digit intel chips are now 4 generations old. This thing needs an AARP card. There are NEW 4th gen and 3rd gen chips for not much more. Pass on this.

perpsley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perpsley

Buy one used on ebay dirt cheat. I just checked the prices, and they are cheaper then this price

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
MyPooka wrote:It has a DisplayPort, and DisplayPort to HDMI adapters can be had for cheap.

MacBook's also had DisplayPorts but only the newer ones were capable of outputting audio signals through the HDMI dongle, meaning that one would still have to output the audio separately. Check out the adapters and dongles at Mono Price for related info on this.

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
shortwave8669 wrote:Purchased this in a previous Woot. Really couldn't pass it up. Very difficult to find many Win7 around. No bloatware installed!!

Very happy with this as my occasional travel laptop. 4 USB 2.0 ports. Connected to 24-in ext LED monitor. The lack of HDMI isn't a problem. I'm using the VGA port

At home this laptop is used mainly to serve about 4TB of .tivo files to my Tivo DVRs with the external HDD connected to the laptop.

When you 1st receive this laptop you will need to re-install the audio driver to re-activate the ext. MIC and headset jacks. HP has the driver available on the support page.

FYI, this laptop will arrive with 2 photocopied pages explaining how to launch the OS the 1st time and no other documentation. No manuals or any kind of user guide. Not much of a problem as the HP site has these to D/L if needed.

Obviously this laptop is not spec'd for the heaviest gaming or video processing. But for serving video files, fast web surfing, watching streaming video this works very, very well.

What Performance Index Rating did you get with this in Win7? More than likely the 2d and gaming graphics pulled it down?

Zhoupan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zhoupan

Yesterday I ordered the deal of Acer 15.6" Full HD Core i5 Convertible Laptop, and that caused 484.99. Comparing with this also i5 CPU, this is 200 cheaper and do not have the useless functions. It has got a DVD RW, btw.
This deal seems more worthy.

flaura22

quality posts: 9 Private Messages flaura22
perpsley wrote:Buy one used on ebay dirt cheat. I just checked the prices, and they are cheaper then this price

Link please.

AwesomeDale

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AwesomeDale

Can anyone confirm that the DisplayPort on this notebook will transmit both audio and video signals to a TV via a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable? I have used that cable with my ThinkPad T410 and a HP ProBook 6560C (both Core i5) and the audio works fine without needing a separate cable. This looks like a decent compact notebook for the price, especially considering it comes with Win7 pro.

adenicolo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adenicolo

I got one of these two weeks ago for 50 bucks more! What the heck Woot? Can't say I'm pleased with that.
So far so good. It was clean and the screen looked good. Runs fine and has win7. Great for basic internet email etc.
Good build quality, should last for a while more.

kurtm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kurtm
ienvyno1 wrote:No HDMI? No sale.

I'm actually typing this on the same model of laptop (just with built-in webcam and fingerprint reader).

The DisplayPort on this model is of the "DisplayPort++" variety which means a super-cheap adapter from Monoprice will convert this to HDMI. I've used them on this laptop (and am fairly sure I have one in my laptop bag right now).

11naudr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 11naudr

no the specs say its a standard 160 hdd 5200 rpm

rkidwell551

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkidwell551

I've used these laptops at work for the past few years... great build quality, but certainly nothing exceptional from a power/battery standpoint. I'd still recommend it over a lot of the stuff you'd get for the same price.

NavyDallas

quality posts: 7 Private Messages NavyDallas
adenicolo wrote:I got one of these two weeks ago for 50 bucks more! What the heck Woot? Can't say I'm pleased with that.
So far so good. It was clean and the screen looked good. Runs fine and has win7. Great for basic internet email etc.

These are from the second pressing.

A genuine original Woot!-istanian.

iamjakex

quality posts: 11 Private Messages iamjakex

Too bad there isn't a webcam on this sucker, would have been perfect for my Grandpa who loves to Skype with all his friends. He needs an update to his 5 year old acer.

sman666

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sman666

We have these at work. They are the first generation i series of Intel prosessors. The computers can handle windows 7 with ease. Only issue is the silver/grey paint wears quickly. For the no hdmi comment, it has display port which is digital output like hdmi.

Also for the random person that might put on xp on this, a recent windows update creates an issue with Ian ports and the power requirement for attached devices ( mice and keyboard will work but docks and flash drives won't )

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
iamjakex wrote:Too bad there isn't a webcam on this sucker, would have been perfect for my Grandpa who loves to Skype with all his friends. He needs an update to his 5 year old acer.

@iamjakex, if your Grandpa is like my Grandmother, they do not go mobile with their laptops. And internal laptop webcams are often pretty crappy. A USB Logitech webcam pro will provide noticeably better video & audio quality.

And I would not want to teach a 'more senior' (I'm not that far off myself so I can say that!) person how to use Windows 8 (virtually all new laptops) when they are already comfortable with Windows 7 (this laptop).

These corporate grade laptops are far more solidly built than the $300-600 consumer laptops.

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
sman666 wrote:We have these at work. They are the first generation i series of Intel prosessors. The computers can handle windows 7 with ease. Only issue is the silver/grey paint wears quickly. For the no hdmi comment, it has display port which is digital output like hdmi.

Also for the random person that might put on xp on this, a recent windows update creates an issue with Ian ports and the power requirement for attached devices ( mice and keyboard will work but docks and flash drives won't )

@sman666, Windows XP security patches from Microsoft end April 8, this year. Might not be a good idea to load XP anyway.

But if someone is still running Windows XP, this Woot laptop might be a cheap way to get off XP and onto Windows 7. Otherwise pretty hard to find Windows 7 on new laptops - although HP is allowing it to be specified on some custom-built laptops. (Notably, their newer ProBook, but that is a $600+ laptop.)

drcanak

quality posts: 5 Private Messages drcanak
AwesomeDale wrote:Can anyone confirm that the DisplayPort on this notebook will transmit both audio and video signals to a TV via a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable? I have used that cable with my ThinkPad T410 and a HP ProBook 6560C (both Core i5) and the audio works fine without needing a separate cable...

Just to be sure (and slightly off topic), the display port to HDMI adaptor on the Thinkpad T410 carries audio?

I ask because I have the T410 (from Woot), and all I found on the web was people saying the display port on this laptop *does not* support audio, with some mixed reports that it might.

thx in advance,
jeff

bowlingb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bowlingb
adenicolo wrote:I got one of these two weeks ago for 50 bucks more! What the heck Woot? Can't say I'm pleased with that.

Based on the comments I have seen here recently, if you bought this refurbished from Woot and you received a working unit you should consider yourself lucky.

kriztelr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kriztelr
iamjakex wrote:Too bad there isn't a webcam on this sucker, would have been perfect for my Grandpa who loves to Skype with all his friends. He needs an update to his 5 year old acer.

bowlingb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bowlingb
kurtm wrote:I'm actually typing this on the same model of laptop (just with built-in webcam and fingerprint reader).

The DisplayPort on this model is of the "DisplayPort++" variety which means a super-cheap adapter from Monoprice will convert this to HDMI. I've used them on this laptop (and am fairly sure I have one in my laptop bag right now).

So the big question that everyone is asking is whether this will carry audio as well as video over the displayport adapter. Any way you could give that a test?

swimbc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimbc

The 160GB drive would say SSD if it were solid state. That's what I was hoping for too. It needs more RAM too. I like the size and the processor, but that's it.

shari227

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shari227

Can anyone tell me if this computer would be good for my 9 year old to play minecraft on? He really does not want a Windows 8. Thanks

avepelthree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avepelthree

link to hdmi converter?

jvspencer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jvspencer

ilovereality

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ilovereality
shari227 wrote:Can anyone tell me if this computer would be good for my 9 year old to play minecraft on? He really does not want a Windows 8. Thanks

Pretty much any computer should be able to handle Minecraft so the answer is yes (Minecraft is a very low resource consuming game).

thunderheart134

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thunderheart134

Anyone know if this laptop could play league of legends or Skyrim? I'm not expecting great graphics, but could it play them on low? Or games like Fable TLC and terraria?

zibaspace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zibaspace

ok, ok but can it be returned? Can't find anything about that.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 126 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

zibaspace wrote:ok, ok but can it be returned? Can't find anything about that.

Hey there, you can find our return policy and a bunch of other answers to your most pressing questions in our FAQ over here.

kellydehn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellydehn

Refurbished? This thing is well used. Scratches, keys are so worn they are shiny and letters are rubbed off. Keyboard was filthy. Thinking about returning it.

moxiequz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moxiequz

I got mine today. It was supposed to come with Windows 7 pro on it but it looks like there's nothing. On startup, I just get a screen with what looks like a scrub utility log. It's some IBM secure data removal utility (scrub3.exe). It looks like the company just scrubbed the unit and sent it out. No CD, nothing else in the box. Has anyone else encountered this?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

moxiequz wrote:I got mine today. It was supposed to come with Windows 7 pro on it but it looks like there's nothing. On startup, I just get a screen with what looks like a scrub utility log. It's some IBM secure data removal utility (scrub3.exe). It looks like the company just scrubbed the unit and sent it out. No CD, nothing else in the box. Has anyone else encountered this?

That doesn't sound good

I'm sorry to hear that the OS is missing form your comp.

If you write into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com they'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you have about your purchase.

Let them know what's going on and they should be able to help resolve this issue.

farrelltx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farrelltx

Received my laptop 10 days after ordering. The touchpad does not work properly. I wish woot had a definition department to distinguish between refurbished and used refurbished. Lots of wear on the case and the seller used paint to cover. I will not buy another laptop from woot until they improve their vendor quality control. I was expecting a laptop that was sold and returned not one that was used for a year then refurbished. I am returning to Dell and HP direct where quality control is better.