zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

Simple.TV: The Ultimate DVR
Price: $89.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Feb 03 to Tuesday, Feb 04) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/15/2014 - $89.99 (Woot-off) - 3 comment(s)
1/12/2014 - $89.99 - 59 comment(s)
12/1/2013 - $94.99 - 109 comment(s)

1/19/2014 - $89.99 (Woot Plus)
12/31/2013 - $89.99 (Woot Plus)
12/17/2013 - $89.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Check out the Simple.TV Website and this review from Endgadget

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3157 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

From Gigaom
From CNET

bowlingb

quality posts: 16 Private Messages bowlingb

Let's not forget the discussion about this device the last time it was offered.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

This seems a bit pricey for a single-tuner, no storage, no direct output to monitors.

It also doesn't stream multiple formats of your existing movies and music, nor does it have the Netflix and other apps like a Roku.

If you want watch-anywhere, you get a Slingbox.

Wholesaleforless

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wholesaleforless

I still don't get the point of repeating an item so soon.

If someone wanted this DVR, wouldn't they have ordered it when it on about a week or two ago?

Wouldn't woot find more customers by offering something that hasn't been available for a month or two??

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
Wholesaleforless wrote:I still don't get the point of repeating an item so soon.

If someone wanted this DVR, wouldn't they have ordered it when it on about a week or two ago?

Wouldn't woot find more customers by offering something that hasn't been available for a month or two??

Or maybe just list ALL items all the time and let people pick what they want. You know, like Amazon.

micmic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages micmic

I picked this up in November and am quite happy with it. I was ready to cut the cord with cable and this DVR solution meets all of my needs. It also saves me more than $100/month.

The guide provides an easy means to search for content. Series recordings couldn't be easier. This is a very cool product!

HideOut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HideOut
bsmith1 wrote:Or maybe just list ALL items all the time and let people pick what they want. You know, like Amazon.

Hey genius, this site is owned by amazon...

GossipNinja

quality posts: 4 Private Messages GossipNinja

I bought one, and it works...kinda.

My htpc hates the stream, probably because my HTPC hates silverlight, and it doesn't go to HTML5 if silverlight exists.

The android app sorts by SHOWS not time/channel. It is crazy! (it is sideloadable to gen2 Google TV but crashes often in the guide)

I don't care that big bang is popular, I want the landing page to be THE GUIDE in a time/channel GRID.

NOPE, doesn't exist, if I want to see what's live I get a bunch of tiles with show names on it, nothing about start/stop times, and i have idea what channel anything is on (and being this is OTA, I would like to know if the show is on a channel that is weak.)

Sometimes the tiles just have a picture, and I have to somehow KNOW that a random pic of Richard Gere is the Mothman Prophecy or whatever it was.

This product is half baked, but I knew that going it.

wish it was better, but if nothing else, assuming simple.tv v2 is better, I basically paid for my lifetime sub with this.

2114mark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2114mark
Wholesaleforless wrote:I still don't get the point of repeating an item so soon.

The reason? They have a new 2 tuner model and are dumping the old model.

wizwor

quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
HughHemington wrote:This seems a bit pricey for a single-tuner, no storage, no direct output to monitors.

It also doesn't stream multiple formats of your existing movies and music, nor does it have the Netflix and other apps like a Roku.

If you want watch-anywhere, you get a Slingbox.

What's a sling box cost? Right.

$95 is for the tuner and a lifetime subscription to their Premier service. That service is $150 by itself or bundled with the V2 device. If you are planning to get a V2, think of this as getting 35% off the software plus a free tuner.

The free tuner isn't exactly a throwaway, either. Now that you can have multiple DVRs on a single account, there's no reason not to have two or three -- I have four.

I don't generally use these to tune live television. Mostly they are collecting programs for later viewing. Since the DVR only records programs I haven't already recorded, this makes it very easy to accumulate a couple hundred episodes of a favorite program. I have named my DVRs Sitcoms, Dramas, Movies, and Misc and record programs to each as appropriate.

I have two televisions that I have not yet run coax or ethernet to, and these with a wireless Roku get live TV and recorded programs to these.

Remote access is very good. I have watched my recordings and live TV on a laptop via airport and hotel wi-fi and the quality was excellent -- very little buffering or pixelization. I also watched on a wireless Roku at my mother's house and that was flawless after the initial buffering.

I have sideloaded their android app to a Kindle Fire HD and a Kindle Fire HDX and am looking forward to enjoying my antenna and recordings by the pool this summer. The 'official' Kindle Fire App is supposed to be close to ready for the Amazon app store and is supposed to work with older Fires.

Both the V1 and V2 products support disks up to 2t. One advantage of getting two of these vs a single V2 is that you double the storage.

Finally, let's consider the cost difference between the V1 offered here and the v2 on their store for a setup with two tuners and lifetime Premier...

V1: $185
V2: $400

Wow, huh? If anyone can tell me some features of the new hardware that are worth a $100 per tuner premium, I'm all ears. Don't forget that you can hang 4t of disks off the pair of V1s vs 2t on the V2.

So, no, Hugh, I don't think $95 is a bit pricey.

micmic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages micmic
wizwor wrote:...Don't forget that you can hang 4t of disks off the pair of V1s vs 2t on the V2.

Good point. I didn't think about the ability to double storage capacity with 2 v1 boxes. I also thought about having a separate box just for my son's content so I don't have to sort through all of those shows.

ari14850

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ari14850

The stories about this company's atrocious customer service are all true.

If by simple they mean simple to take your money and then ignore your service requests, then yes, it's simple.

muditkumar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages muditkumar

Seems like a work in progress. Live TV is bad, needs HD to record. Moreover, to cut cable, I still need my CNN, CNBC etc.. does this provide those channels?

I would think of getting an Apple TV or similar if I want to do streaming.

wizwor

muditkumar wrote:Seems like a work in progress. Live TV is bad, needs HD to record. Moreover, to cut cable, I still need my CNN, CNBC etc.. does this provide those channels?

I would think of getting an Apple TV or similar if I want to do streaming.

A huge problem with the 'cable cutting' scene right now is that it is transitioning from enthusiast to mainstream. Less technical people are hearing exaggerated tales of success from their enthusiast friends and the enthusiast media and jump right in without doing much research or thinking.

For instance, this is a DVR not a streamer. What it does is completely different than what an Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast does. In fact, what this does is quite a bit different than what Channel Master's DVR+ does.

jakestapleton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakestapleton

Do Not Purchase this item!

I purchased one back in December from woot and still do not have a working unit.

Simple TV replaced my original unit and the replacement did work either.

Their support is abysmal and there is no way to actually talk to a person.

Support is by email or social media and you can go days at a time between responses.

This product is not fully baked, purchase at your own risk.

inirons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages inirons
wizwor wrote:What's a sling box cost? Right.

$95 is for the tuner and a lifetime subscription to their Premier service. That service is $150 by itself or bundled with the V2 device. If you are planning to get a V2, think of this as getting 35% off the software plus a free tuner.

The free tuner isn't exactly a throwaway, either. Now that you can have multiple DVRs on a single account, there's no reason not to have two or three -- I have four.

I don't generally use these to tune live television. Mostly they are collecting programs for later viewing. Since the DVR only records programs I haven't already recorded, this makes it very easy to accumulate a couple hundred episodes of a favorite program. I have named my DVRs Sitcoms, Dramas, Movies, and Misc and record programs to each as appropriate.

I have two televisions that I have not yet run coax or ethernet to, and these with a wireless Roku get live TV and recorded programs to these.

Remote access is very good. I have watched my recordings and live TV on a laptop via airport and hotel wi-fi and the quality was excellent -- very little buffering or pixelization. I also watched on a wireless Roku at my mother's house and that was flawless after the initial buffering.

I have sideloaded their android app to a Kindle Fire HD and a Kindle Fire HDX and am looking forward to enjoying my antenna and recordings by the pool this summer. The 'official' Kindle Fire App is supposed to be close to ready for the Amazon app store and is supposed to work with older Fires.

Both the V1 and V2 products support disks up to 2t. One advantage of getting two of these vs a single V2 is that you double the storage.

Finally, let's consider the cost difference between the V1 offered here and the v2 on their store for a setup with two tuners and lifetime Premier...

V1: $185
V2: $400

Wow, huh? If anyone can tell me some features of the new hardware that are worth a $100 per tuner premium, I'm all ears. Don't forget that you can hang 4t of disks off the pair of V1s vs 2t on the V2.

So, no, Hugh, I don't think $95 is a bit pricey.

Wizwor has a pretty nice setup of these things (I know his username from the community.simple.tv forum), he knows the limitations and advantages of these devices very well.

I have two of these devices, my mom lives in a different state with no OTA (over the air antenna) capability and we cannot afford cable or satellite for her. So she can watch tv via her Roku and this coupled with netflix and a few other channels works well.

Yes the tile format of the Roku interface is not the best for navigating and figuring out the programs and you cannot chromecast or use chromebook to watch. My mom is 80 years old and is using this stuff ok, learning curve was a bit involved and still is. I taught her to use her Chromebook to check the guide there and then she can figure out whats coming up. But the roku interface for simple.tv is somewhat confusing when trying to organize whats on next and the EPG gridlike guide interface that we have come to know and expect is not on the Roku

To me, the best interface is Chrome browser on pc. Hopefully in future Simple.tv can work on getting chrome products to work and/or update the user interface for Roku

Also, since QAM is going away (here in central FL, they are getting rid of analog cable channels and also QAM on Brighthouse cable) its best used with OTA antenna. I am 45 miles or so from the antenna farm near Orlando FL, I have put up a Philips Mant940 antenna and mounted it on the fascia of my roof using an old satellite tv dish bracket. I extended the height of the antenna itself with about 5' of pvc pipe and made sure I used very good quality RG6 cable. When selecting an antenna be sure to have one with the amplifier built in at the antenna itself so you are amplifying pure signal and not line noise. An amplifier downstream will just amplify cable line noise so start off with good antenna, you only add amplifiers when cable length and splitters come into the picture, each 60 feet or so of cable length or splitter will cause db loss of signal, thats when you introduce video cable amplifiers. Also if you are very close to broadcast towers within 15 miles or so amplified signal may not be a good idea as you can over attenuate the the signal and make picture worse.

Overall I really like the devices, I have attached 500 gig usb Western Digital hard drive to one and 32 gig usb flash drive to the other. Even though the simple.tv dvr has only usb 2.0 port I went with newer 3.0 usb devices and have no problems with using these hard drives.

A few other things is the registration number is on the front page of the manual and be careful to use Chrome browser in your setups and be aware that the setup screens sometimes has a greyed out button to select, during setups I thought I was waiting on simple.tv software when it was waiting on me to select this greyed out button or link, to me the industry standard for greyed out button or link is that it is disabled or not available. I think they need to work on their setup screens and improve that to meet expected defacto standards.

Overall I really like the devices, my 80 year old mom can handle it, so most of you should be able to. Dont rely on QAM signal to be there (although I did try it and it works great too but was able to switch back to OTA antenna and rescan the channels for antenna) and only purchase if OTA signal is available or have someone closer to broadcast towers host your device and antenna and stream over their internet to your pc chrome browser or roku or android device.

theprawn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theprawn

I'd been eying this product for the better part of a year, I bought it enthusiastically when it was offered on Woot in December... but it's been all disappointment since.

Every few days, the thing loses the ability to tune any channels. The only way to get it to work again is to reboot it, which takes 10-15 minutes. If I'm trying to watch live tv, that's mildly annoying but what's really upsetting is that when it stops tuning I am usually unaware. There's no notification light or email, no indication in the dashboard, it just quietly fails to record my scheduled programming. It is totally unreliable for recording series. I have more shows that say "failed to record" than actually recorded.

I have twice emailed support about this but have yet to hear back from anyone. As near as I can tell, it's an unsupported product. Buyer beware.

Rustyh3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Rustyh3
jakestapleton wrote:Do Not Purchase this item!

I purchased one back in December from woot and still do not have a working unit.

Simple TV replaced my original unit and the replacement did work either.

Their support is abysmal and there is no way to actually talk to a person.

Support is by email or social media and you can go days at a time between responses.

This product is not fully baked, purchase at your own risk.

Does Amazon do their customer support? Sounds close since they acquired woot.

Rustyh3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Rustyh3
bsmith1 wrote:Or maybe just list ALL items all the time and let people pick what they want. You know, like Amazon.

Sort of sad actually. I would prefer more truly "out there" items and not this kind of "half baked" to quote someone, stuff. Maybe this is out there......

wizwor

inirons wrote:Wizwor has a pretty nice setup of these things (I know his username from the community.simple.tv forum), he knows the limitations and advantages of these devices very well.

thank you.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Where do you all find time to watch all this stuff?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

wizwor

radi0j0hn wrote:Where do you all find time to watch all this stuff?

It's not that I watch that much tv as that I want to watch what I want when and where I want to watch it.

When I bought my first DTVPal DVR, I set it up to record a block of four hours of sitcoms that aired on an independent channel while I was at work. When I get out of bed at 3:30am, I usually start one of these blocks. When I lay down at the end of the day, I watch another. When the block is done and I'm asleep, my DVR and TV shut themselves down.

I routinely layover for an hour or more in an airport. I'd much rather watch an episode of Rules of Engagement than YouTube.

envelope

quality posts: 0 Private Messages envelope

Can't schedule automatic series recordings per Simple TV's website...deal breaker for me.

/s/j

wizwor

envelope wrote:Can't schedule automatic series recordings per Simple TV's website...deal breaker for me.

Please post a link/quote. I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding something.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
envelope wrote:Can't schedule automatic series recordings per Simple TV's website...deal breaker for me.

Well, actually you can. Just click record the series and it will.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken

I wouldn't buy anything from this company. I bought their software back just before they released this "DVR" hardware. It was supposed to convert videos and format them for like an iPod or something like that.

Once they released this "DVR", they completely hung the rest of us out to dry that purchased their $30+ software. The software simply sucked at converting the video. It limited it to sub-SD quality. It was a pixelated, blurry mess. I asked many many times for help in getting the software to be modified to where the resulting video was watchable on newer than 1st gen iPod touch or iPod classics, but they kept replying that if they could find time to get to it, they would. I asked for help in modifying it myself, got no response. Stuff like that. They just took my money and ran with it and said screw you after that. I just wanted to watch content on my newer iPhones that could show a better picture. Couldn't get them to up the resolution, though, so I am out the money.

The reason I said "or something like that" up above is because it has been a VERY long time since I tried to use it because they absolutely refuse to support it. Despite many many emails between their "customer service" and myself, I can NOT get them to support the software that I paid good money for. When I was going through all of this trouble trying to fix their previous software, it was within weeks of them releasing this "DVR" product. During the time I was trying to get their support, it was close enough to the release that they should have supported all their products. Instead, I got a big fat "screw you" from them instead. I would never buy a damned thing from them. If I hadn't lost the receipt for it, I would have demanded my money back. I was using my own domain email at the time and lost a lot of emails and data due to problems, so I couldn't.

Anyway, this company is really really really crappy and untrustworthy.

stringbet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stringbet

I was skeptical about these things, but my girlfriend gave me one for Christmas and we set it up at my house where the local TV reception is pretty good (over the air reception is spotty at best at her inner city place). We now watch the live antennae from my home on her living room TV through the simple TV at my place. The pause and rewind features are plenty responsive over the web. It works as advertised, I plugged in a 500Gb drive and it has recorded dozens of shows and they're available off the web. The only caveat it that you really have to have a Roku wherever you want to watch it on TV. The Roku interface is necessary for a TV experience.

Ringo4422

For those interested but don't really know exactly what this will do and what it won't, I will explain the basics offering my experiences with this device.
It is designed to be a DVR that is connected to a TV antenna or unscrambled digital cable network (including HD channels). My local cable company offers network HD channels and a bunch of standard def channels without the need of a converter box. It WILL NOT WORK ON ENCRYPTED/ SCRAMBLED cable channels.

You must add your own USB hard drive (a flash drive won't work). It will play back ONLY with either a Roku box (by adding the Simple.tv channel) or play on a smart phone/tablet using the Simple.tv app.

It will also play using a PC or Mac BUT... YOU MUST USE GOOGLE CHROME! You cannot perform ANY functions on ANY other browser. I spent days searching the web trying to set this thing up only to discover this.

It WILL stream live but has frequent frame drops while recording. I don't recommend watching this way.

It does record in 720p (very acceptable to me as OTA broadcasts are in this resolution anyway). HOWEVER, the codec used on this device uses so much data compression that there is severe motion blur on the DVR playback. Don't try to watch a recorded hockey game; you'll never see the puck in motion, although you will see some blurry data garbage in its place.

The worst feature of this device is the tuner's terrible sensitivity. If using an antenna (most people's reason to get this and "cut the cable", many channels will not tune or break up while watching, even though a direct antenna connection to a TV works fine. Don't use the cable out from the Simple.TV device. The output signal is way too weak. You are best to use a quality antenna distribution amplifier.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

mansoba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mansoba

I agree with that statement. So many people are doing it "kinda" and getting poor results. It has been exaggerated that you can easily get everything. Takes work.

yarrow10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yarrow10

I got one of these a couple months ago when it was on woot, and I can say I regret it. We have high speed internet and an HD leaf antenna, and live in an area that has non encrypted broadcast tv, but it still doesn't work. Half the shows I have set to record come back "unable to play, simple tv was not able to tune to channel". Some of the show just show an error when going to play, and the ones that do record are so choppy and low quality that you cant watch them. We have emailed Simple Tv to see if something was wrong with our device, but still no reply. It is a really cool concept, but it just doesn't work for us.

markwoneill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markwoneill

I bought this back in December and have been very happy with it. I wanted to share my experience:

- I use it with a $20 RCA aerial and a 2TB USB drive (note that 2TB is the limit it can use, so don't waste money getting a larger drive). It's connected over an ethernet cable to my router in my home office, because it doesn't support Wifi.

- I already had a Roku 3 so I use that channel for Simple.TV. It works great. Recorded TV is blocky for about second before is shows in HD. That is not a problem for me.

- I also connected my TVs directly to aerials, so I'm mostly not using Simple.TV for Live TV. For live TV it takes a couple of seconds to tune in, which means I couldn't flick through channels quickly, and also you can't watch one channel of live TV while recording another. So I simply use TV aerials for that. I use Simple.TV for collecting series and movies which I can watch later. As another poster said, it's very easy to collect movies and TV in this way with a Simple.TV box. I have many episodes of Sherlock, Family Guy, etc, recorded, plus a ton of movies. Will I have time to watch all this? No.

- Remote TV and recorded video viewing via the Android app is great. I watched live and recorded Boston TV from Ireland using this box, great picture and no buffering. That alone was worth it for me.

- I recently moved to a $29-a-month Internet-only plan with Comcast and the Simple.TV helped a lot with that. I have the TV guide and DVR now (though not the non-OTA channels of course, but I didn't really watch those).

- The user interfaces are different between the Roku, the Android apps, and the browser. I use Chrome, and I echo what other people have said: the best interface for Simple.TV is the Chrome browser, so this is what I mostly use to set series recordings etc.

As a final point: I looked at Aereo and didn't think it made sense for me. It has a monthly fee, and I wanted to get away from any kind of monthly fee. My understanding of Aereo is that it makes sense for people who can't get a good OTA signal.

So, all-in-all I recommend this, based on personal experience.

donquixoti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donquixoti

Before you buy, do a little research to make sure this system will work with your cable provider. Mine was a waste of money since I can't use it with my provider. Just a word of caution.

I think my problem had something to do with the digital signal.

NunoCoelho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NunoCoelho

I am interrested but I can't find anything that will state that I can use this with xbmc. Can anyone tell me if I can use xbmc with this.also can I view and schedule recordings through a regular browser? Thank you

h20man40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages h20man40

You mean seeing as how they are now owned by Amazon? That would probably explain the different formats so that don't ultimately compete with themselves!

davylane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davylane

I own this! Everyone is kinda missing the point... It's a NEW way of watching (and recording) local programming from an off-air antenna. It fits today's device-oriented lifestyle. Dad can watch it while on a business trip. Mom can catch up on shows on her phone while she waits for Johnny's basketball practice to be over. Sally can tune into her shows on her pad device from her room, school, coffee shop, etc. And with Roku on any TV you get seamless integration of the SimpleTV there, as well. Furthermore, everyone can watch their recorded content at the same time (up to 5 people). Having a cable/satellite box on a TV in every room seems simply archaic to us, now.

I set the little feather-light SimpleTV box next to my router in the basement and plugged it in. I bought an open box 1tb drive from a local store for $45 and I connected to an antenna I placed in the attic (RCA 3036). Circumspect, much? Yes, yes I was. After all, the amplified rabbit ears I tried hooking up (before Simple.TV) picked up zero and the Simple.TV website showed 1 channel would be available in my area. I expected some error messages during installation followed by endless message board searches for a solution. Imagine my shock when my Simple.TV box told me installation was complete and I had 45 channels! It didn't even make me work for it!

If we were to survive "cord-cutting" I determined we needed integrated streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and network programming with DVR capability. We used Tivo for almost 2 years with success, but I can tell you right now that a Roku 3 with Simple.TV kicks Tivo's A$$! The ROKU is faster, easier to use and has tons more streaming content than our Tivo... with Roku we discovered free channels like Crunchy Roll and Crackle which we enjoy even more than Hulu and Netflix.

I did splurge, enthusiastically so, on our internet connection... but, that's okay, because we never have to wait for streaming content to load anymore...and... after all, it's all streaming content now in our house, even our local channels are streamed through our home network from our SimpleTV!

huscos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages huscos

I'll add to the comments here. I bought it last month from Woot for the same price.

First, it's buggy. It's discontinued by the manufacturer. It isn't reliable. The manufacturer is unresponsive, so don't count on customer support. So, if you know that going in (which I did) - go for it.

It's a cool device.
1. If you want to stream live TV to your Roku - this is the device. Better yet, it will work with a remotely located Roku.
2. If you want to stream live TV to your tablet - this is the device. Works great for that.
3. If you want to use this as a primary DVR, i wouldn't recommend this device. It works as a DVR but it is unreliable. Mine needs to be rebooted almost daily - which means unplugging the device. There is a remote "reboot" option, but this hasn't cleared the issues where it loses visibility to the hard drive.
4. If you want to record a few shows and use to feed Roku or a tablet/computer, it will work for that.

I went into it knowing what it is - a buggy, 1st gen device from a company that doesn't support it. I don't expect them to ever improve or fix this discontinued model. However, for what I need - feed live TV to Roku and give remote access to live TV and a few recordings, great.

One point - they say they support Firefox for setup. It doesn't work. Also, it won't even allow to to attempt with IE. I had to load Chrome, which i didn't like. Firefox seems to work fine for access but not setup.

More -

* Don't count on it working with your cable. Use it with an OTA antenna, and you need good, strong signals.
* The guide works but it is cumbersome . . . only a few hours at a time.
* If you are looking for a great OTA DVR, get a TIVO. Reliable, great guide, decent service (not wonderful, but OK). For $550, you will get an excellent unit with lifetime guide and no monthly commitment. Use this to supplement the TIVO - for $90 bucks it works fine. TIVO claims streaming, but not really - only to Apple devices (no ROKU) and not remotely (they claim eventually).

Ringo4422

davylane wrote:I own this! Everyone is kinda missing the point... It's a NEW way of watching (and recording) local programming from an off-air antenna. It fits today's device-oriented lifestyle. Dad can watch it while on a business trip. Mom can catch up on shows on her phone while she waits for Johnny's basketball practice to be over. Sally can tune into her shows on her pad device from her room, school, coffee shop, etc. And with Roku on any TV you get seamless integration of the SimpleTV there, as well. Furthermore, everyone can watch their recorded content at the same time (up to 5 people). Having a cable/satellite box on a TV in every room seems simply archaic to us, now.

I set the little feather-light SimpleTV box next to my router in the basement and plugged it in. I bought an open box 1tb drive from a local store for $45 and I connected to an antenna I placed in the attic (RCA 3036). Circumspect, much? Yes, yes I was. After all, the amplified rabbit ears I tried hooking up (before Simple.TV) picked up zero and the Simple.TV website showed 1 channel would be available in my area. I expected some error messages during installation followed by endless message board searches for a solution. Imagine my shock when my Simple.TV box told me installation was complete and I had 45 channels! It didn't even make me work for it!

If we were to survive "cord-cutting" I determined we needed integrated streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and network programming with DVR capability. We used Tivo for almost 2 years with success, but I can tell you right now that a Roku 3 with Simple.TV kicks Tivo's A$$! The ROKU is faster, easier to use and has tons more streaming content than our Tivo... with Roku we discovered free channels like Crunchy Roll and Crackle which we enjoy even more than Hulu and Netflix.

I did splurge, enthusiastically so, on our internet connection... but, that's okay, because we never have to wait for streaming content to load anymore...and... after all, it's all streaming content now in our house, even our local channels are streamed through our home network from our SimpleTV!

Internet speed has no impact on the Simple.tv DVR unless you are watching at a different location from your own home network. Even then, it would be your internet upload speed that controls the stream quality. The recorded video content is stored locally on the external hdd, not in the "cloud".