ccasey3655

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccasey3655

I have this version of Simple.TV and I love it. It took a little work to get it setup, but it has been flawless ever since. No problems except sometimes crappy reception from my antenna, but I blame that on the antenna!!! Buy it!!!!

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
ccasey3655 wrote:I have this version of Simple.TV and I love it. It took a little work to get it setup, but it has been flawless ever since. No problems except sometimes crappy reception from my antenna, but I blame that on the antenna!!! Buy it!!!!

I have one too. Read the blogs on the Simple.tv site. There's posts all over the place on how lousy the tuner sensitivity is.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

averytds

quality posts: 1 Private Messages averytds
Ringo4422 wrote:I have one too. Read the blogs on the Simple.tv site. There's posts all over the place on how lousy the tuner sensitivity is.

After weeks of trying and attempting to get support help, I sent mine back. I was never able to complete setup. Despite good clear QAM and OTA signals the simple.tv was unable to find a single channel ever. I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue, but for a lot of people, it just doesn't work.

It's too bad really as I truly want it to work. I have multiple Rokus and would be able to re-arrange rooms and place TVs anywhere without needing to rewire anything.

westsidesonic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages westsidesonic
conanthelibrarian wrote:

Conanthelibrarian... Thanks for posting the videos. With no storage included I'm gonna have to pass on this one. Thanks again.

Ringo4422

averytds wrote:After weeks of trying and attempting to get support help, I sent mine back. I was never able to complete setup. Despite good clear QAM and OTA signals the simple.tv was unable to find a single channel ever. I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue, but for a lot of people, it just doesn't work.

It's too bad really as I truly want it to work. I have multiple Rokus and would be able to re-arrange rooms and place TVs anywhere without needing to rewire anything.

I posted a lot of info on the first page. If HD video quality is not important than this is an okay deal for the money, especially if you have some old USB hard drive kicking around. Another alternative is the 320GB Magnavox DVR ($218 @ Walmart). The HDD is easily upgradeable and you can just add more drives up to 3tb. But is is only 480p video (standard def). The 1080p upconversion merely means it will play via HDMI cable. It's still 480p.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

mrgrossm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrgrossm

I am so amazed how the reviews on this device differ so much. I have it, and I am very happy with mine. The tuner on it isn't quite as good as my Sharp tv, but it's quite a bit better than the tuner on my Tivo.

If you are expecting a tivo, you will probably be disappointed. If you like to place shift your live tv or recordings, I think it works very well.

Mine has been in use since early December, and has been rebooted once, only to rewire my entertainment center, not because it needed a reboot. When they changed the guide providers, I had to rescan the channels and had some hiccups for a day or two with recordings. Other than that one issue, I've had no problems with the device.

I'm so happy I'm considering getting another 1 from woot today. If I don't get one today, it will only be because I will get the 2 tuner gen 2 version.

salw55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages salw55
jakestapleton wrote:Do Not Purchase this item!

I purchased one back in December from woot and still do not have a working unit.

Simple TV replaced my original unit and the replacement did work either.

Their support is abysmal and there is no way to actually talk to a person.

Support is by email or social media and you can go days at a time between responses.

This product is not fully baked, purchase at your own risk.

I agree I purchased in December also and first took 10 days for woot to answer then told it is easier for me to sell it on craiglist . What??? Maybe I am not as tech but it is called Simple TV. I have been buying from Woot for over 5 years and will not buy again. Customer service sucks from both Woot and Simple tv.

sharon a. linke white

lotusstp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotusstp

I foolishly did not return this after a few frustrating weeks attempting to get it up & running. I "sorta" got it to work a while ago but, frustratingly, it stopped working. I can only get a few of the Time Warner channels working. Every time I re-scan the channels I get fewer & fewer results.

*sigh*

jakestapleton wrote:Do Not Purchase this item!

I purchased one back in December from woot and still do not have a working unit.

Simple TV replaced my original unit and the replacement did work either.

Their support is abysmal and there is no way to actually talk to a person.

Support is by email or social media and you can go days at a time between responses.

This product is not fully baked, purchase at your own risk.

rwags

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwags

don't buy its crap

Ringo4422

Some of the nauseatingly positive posts make me wonder... do they work for simple.tv?
This is what happens all too frequently on my PCs. I was watching last night's Saturday Night Live and it just crashed in the middle of play. Had to relaunch that ugly Google Chrome browser again.

The Android app on my Samsung Galaxy S3 usually won't load. It eventually does after 8-10 re-trys.
The entire system is just very unstable.

davylane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davylane
Ringo4422 wrote:Internet speed has no impact on the Simple.tv DVR unless you are watching at a different location from your own home network. Even then, it would be your internet upload speed that controls the stream quality. The recorded video content is stored locally on the external hdd, not in the "cloud".

Prior to our "splurge" on the highest speed internet our Roku could only be used at the lowest video resolution and was still unbearable to use at times. We bought the SimpleTV after our internet speed upgrade, so I can't vouch for any improvement there, but I'm sure it can't hurt when making on-screen guide demands of SimpleTV. So, all of our video IS streamed; some streams from the internet, recorded content streams from the hard drive and some is streamed from the attic antenna through the SimpleTV device (and connected storage) acting like a media server allowing us to pause/rewind live TV programming. All controlled by the Roku remote with built-in headphone jack. My point was, watching TV like this fits our lifestyle better. Grab your laptop or device, find a cozy quiet corner anywhere in the house (or anywhere you are for that matter) and you have access to all our live, recorded and streaming content. Where ever I go, there I am... and my little SimpleTV box, too. Imagine if your internet provider offered you 120 websites, their choice. That's how a cable TV provider feels to us, now. True or not, our programming choices "feel" limitless and the choices are growing exponentially.

Perspective... cable TV didn't s*ck to me until I saw it through the eyes of a 6 year old. We stayed at a very nice resort hotel recently. My kids couldn't believe there were only 2 choices of kid's programming. When they finally found something to watch they asked, "Dad, how do you pause this?"... "You can't." ... "WHAT?!"

davylane

Ringo4422 wrote:Some of the nauseatingly positive posts make me wonder... do they work for simple.tv?
This is what happens all too frequently on my PCs. I was watching last night's Saturday Night Live and it just crashed in the middle of play. Had to relaunch that ugly Google Chrome browser again.

The Android app on my Samsung Galaxy S3 usually won't load. It eventually does after 8-10 re-trys.
The entire system is just very unstable.

So weird. My SimpleTV install was so easy (and automatic) it was scary. Furthermore, it has performed flawlessly. Could it be my "splurge" on the best possible internet connection? Are you talking about a recent SimpleTV install? I installed about a week ago. The first thing my SimpleTV box did was download the latest software. We installed the SimpleTV App on our Roku 3... watching and controlling ALL our programming through our new Roku 3 is fast, easy and intuitive. Our young children were the first to pick it up and use it without ANY instruction.

patnugent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
Ringo4422 wrote:Some of the nauseatingly positive posts make me wonder... do they work for simple.tv?

If Silverlight is crashing (hence the crashed plug-in), you're going to want to troubleshoot that specifically. If you're on PC, run this from Microsoft and follow the steps on screen.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/C/9/6C970550-32AB-4235-9CDD-7FC9DD848BBB/silverlight.diagcab

If that doesn't help or your on Mac, I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling SIlverlight. Yes, that is a relatively generic answer but it is the correct next step.

When you say won't load on your S3, what happens exactly? (Splash screen and crash?) We're going to be submitting another update to the Google Play (along with first submission to Amazon App Store as we've resolved the outstanding Kindle issues) but I'm happy to give you an early peek if you want to provide feedback on launching issues.

-patrick @ STV

jacobimh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobimh

I bought it last time. I use with Roku 3. Absolutely love it! Canceling satellite.

Went out of state with Roku box. Watched live and recorded tv there from my home's antenna. Amazing!

davylane

lotusstp wrote:I foolishly did not return this after a few frustrating weeks attempting to get it up & running. I "sorta" got it to work a while ago but, frustratingly, it stopped working. I can only get a few of the Time Warner channels working. Every time I re-scan the channels I get fewer & fewer results.

*sigh*

Connect it to an off-air antenna. Forget trying to get it to work with Time Warner. You can pick up a Roku box for less than $40, as well. Install the free SimpleTV App on a Roku that will give you easy access to Crackle, Crunchy Roll and hundreds of other Roku channels/apps. We got zero local channels with an indoor amplified antenna, but this SimpleTV box picks up 45 local channels with an antenna I stuck in the attic (RCA 3036). There's more local programming than Time Warner offers for free out of the air. Perhaps you'll like it enough, as we do, to dump the cable.

Ringo4422

patnugent wrote:If Silverlight is crashing (hence the crashed plug-in), you're going to want to troubleshoot that specifically. If you're on PC, run this from Microsoft and follow the steps on screen.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/C/9/6C970550-32AB-4235-9CDD-7FC9DD848BBB/silverlight.diagcab

If that doesn't help or your on Mac, I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling SIlverlight. Yes, that is a relatively generic answer but it is the correct next step.

When you say won't load on your S3, what happens exactly? (Splash screen and crash?) We're going to be submitting another update to the Google Play (along with first submission to Amazon App Store as we've resolved the outstanding Kindle issues) but I'm happy to give you an early peek if you want to provide feedback on launching issues.

-patrick @ STV

Thank you. Was watching then it stopped playing. The newest version of Silverlight was updated on all 3 of my PCs, one being an XP machine which seems to crash less frequently than the Win 7 ones.

Ringo4422

davylane wrote:So weird. My SimpleTV install was so easy (and automatic) it was scary. Furthermore, it has performed flawlessly. Could it be my "splurge" on the best possible internet connection? Are you talking about a recent SimpleTV install? I installed about a week ago. The first thing my SimpleTV box did was download the latest software. We installed the SimpleTV App on our Roku 3... watching and controlling ALL our programming through our new Roku 3 is fast, easy and intuitive. Our young children were the first to pick it up and use it without ANY instruction.

Believe me, I want it to work properly more than anyone but there just seems to be too many issues. My TVs pick up at least 40 digital channels including all of the network HD channels with an antenna but the Simple.tv box only picks up half of them and dropped off my NBC and ABC. Fortunately for me my cable provider offers all of the network HD channels without a converter box, so that part of it works.

Ringo4422

patnugent wrote: When you say won't load on your S3, what happens exactly? (Splash screen and crash?) We're going to be submitting another update to the Google Play (along with first submission to Amazon App Store as we've resolved the outstanding Kindle issues) but I'm happy to give you an early peek if you want to provide feedback on launching issues.

I just launched the app on my S3 now. It shows the Simple.TV splash screen and the loading swirley thing. Then the display shows "Alert" Something went wrong. Please restart the application.
This happens just about every time I try to launch it. It eventually loads after many attempts. Yes I uninstalled and re-installed it... twice.

patnugent

Ringo4422 wrote:I just launched the app on my S3 now. It shows the Simple.TV splash screen and the loading swirley thing. Then the display shows "Alert" Something went wrong. Please restart the application.
This happens just about every time I try to launch it. It eventually loads after many attempts. Yes I uninstalled and re-installed it... twice.

Do you have time to try a test version? It may still crash but if it does it'll send us a report on why. If so send me a PM with your email.

- Patrick @ Simple.TV

davylane

Ringo4422 wrote:Believe me, I want it to work properly more than anyone but there just seems to be too many issues. My TVs pick up at least 40 digital channels including all of the network HD channels with an antenna but the Simple.tv box only picks up half of them and dropped off my NBC and ABC. Fortunately for me my cable provider offers all of the network HD channels without a converter box, so that part of it works.

If you really want it to work, overcompensating could be the place to start. Bigger antenna (on roof or in attic), faster hard drive (3.0), better internet?... All I know is, this thing kicks butt for us. Maybe it's a TWC conspiracy... they're doing something to the internet they provide just to screw with you!

wizwor

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wizwor
Ringo4422 wrote:Believe me, I want it to work properly more than anyone but there just seems to be too many issues.

I don't think anyone doubts that you are having problems. Some people are just not up to making things work if there are problems. You accusing everyone who can make this work of working for simple is no different than those who can make it work saying you are stupid.

If you lack the technical expertise to work through your issues and are not able to work with people who can, then this is probably not the best toy for you.

That doesn't make the hardware junk or those who can make it sing shills. Be polite and ask for help on the simple user forums and you may discover you CAN make a Simple DVR work.

Ringo4422

davylane wrote:If you really want it to work, overcompensating could be the place to start. Bigger antenna (on roof or in attic), faster hard drive (3.0), better internet?... All I know is, this thing kicks butt for us. Maybe it's a TWC conspiracy... they're doing something to the internet they provide just to screw with you!

Thanks Davy, but it's an antenna signal issue. I am an engineer with a degree in RF electronics. Nothing to do with my internet or connection or speed. Also I am not on Time Warner Cable. It is a small local cable company owned by Comcast.

patnugent

Ringo4422 wrote:Thanks Davy, but it's an antenna signal issue. I am an engineer with a degree in RF electronics. Nothing to do with my internet or connection or speed. Also I am not on Time Warner Cable. It is a small local cable company owned by Comcast.

You should have an invite from TestFlight in your inbox. ;)

- Patrick @ Simple.TV

rocque

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rocque

Thanks everyone. I read most of the comments and decided I am not techie enough for this, because I do not have techie friends to help with it. I have enough to do and Roku is working fine for me on its own. Plus if more than one person says the customer service is lacking that is all I need to say no.

esher72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages esher72

I ordered this back around Thanksgiving and basically, it sucked. The video quality was horrible. It really reminded me of watching an old VHS tape. I opened a ticket and was told that if my Roku and the Simple.TV were both connected to my network via wire rather than wireless (roku), the video quality would be better. This was not acceptable to me as I know the HD quality I get via antenna on my TV and I know the quality my Roku gets from Netflix/ Hulu/ etc. I know what all my equipment is capable of so the Simple.TV seemed to be the weak link. Shortly thereafter, there was a software update for the Simple.TV that made a huge difference. It is actually a pretty slick device. It doesn't 100% meet my needs or expectations, but it is usable now. I did cut the cord but I did that prior to this purchase. I only bought the Simple.TV to ease that pain a bit. Cut the cord whether you buy this or not. If your life is devoid of meaning because you missed something on TV, no device is going to fix your actual problem.

TLDR... worth the purchase but don't it expect it to change your life. The company seems to be actively improving it so what you do get will only get better.

davylane

rocque wrote:Thanks everyone. I read most of the comments and decided I am not techie enough for this, because I do not have techie friends to help with it. I have enough to do and Roku is working fine for me on its own. Plus if more than one person says the customer service is lacking that is all I need to say no.

You're missing out. I can honestly say I have never purchased a piece of technology that has been this easy to install and this intuitive to use. No need to pick up the installation guide... Just power it up and go to the SimpleTV website. It finds your box and updates and searches for available channels effortlessly. Why would you need support? No offense, but did you expect hand-holding when you bought your smart phone? your Kindle/iPad? your laptop? There are 3 variables that can affect the install and performance of your SimpleTV. I just made sure I had a kick-ass off-air antenna, a fast internet connection and a newer usb hard drive and install was truly "simple."

davylane

esher72 wrote: Cut the cord whether you buy this or not. If your life is devoid of meaning because you missed something on TV, no device is going to fix your actual problem.

Well said. Roku/Simple is not better than Cable/Satellite... it's just different. I must say, though, it does feel like our viewing choices are limitless with our Roku/Simple set up.

averytds

quality posts: 1 Private Messages averytds

I am "techie". I have an amazing network set-up, a boosted aerial OTA install (multiple antenna array), brand spankin' new usb 3.0 hard drive purchased solely to use with the Simple.tv unit. I can tell you every channel I get and to an exact percentage, signal strength for each channel. I read every single bit of install info I could find and anticipated minor problems if any. It was smooth sailing until the initial channel scan. I spent more than 6 hours each day for 2 weeks attempting to complete setup to no avail. I even gave it right up until the last eligible minute to return. I desperately wanted it to work. The problem is not with me, my fortitude or the equipment I bring to the table.

I left my order open for their dual unit just in case it's purely a problem with the single tuner units. I think I'm being more than fair to Simple.tv. It may be an amazing product,it may be an okay product, it may be a crappy product.... Until I get a working unit, it's impossible to decide.

If I can get a dual unit working, I would give a single tuner another go from Woot. Would have even taken a replacement unit if they had one to try at the time. Not a chance would I recommend buying one to another person "techie" or not at this point.

neenerneener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neenerneener

I really want to like this, but it's a bust so far. As warned, the OTA channel scan is very hit or miss. Channels with 100% signal strength at ~30dB will not show up in one scan, but show up in the next. Each rescan takes a long time and ends up dropping a channel that I want if it happens to pick up another. Manual channel add would be a great workaround, but the software doesn't have this.

scottjl

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scottjl

Unit received, doesn't work. All it does is rapidly flash the blue light, doesn't function in any way. :-( Guess that's why it was returned.

andykoz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andykoz

I had issues trying to activate the unit on the simple.tv web site with my Windows 7 computer using Internet Explorer 11. Downloaded the latest version of Firefox and that worked, but you have to click the shield to the left of the url address to disable protection ...then and only then was I able to sign in to the site and activate the unit. I spent a few hours of my valuable weekend time figuring this out. I hope I save others some time.

spoodles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spoodles

Awesome concept, very poor execution. Wait until Simple or a competitor perfects this. Good news is that the setup was super easy, it scanned my channels, formatted the usb drive and seemed like it was going to be good to go (all told about 20-25 mins). Unfortunately when I attempted to record programs it would start recording, then say it couldn't find the signal. So I just tried using it as a tuner only to watch on my laptop, but the shows would start out looking and sounding great, then simply freeze. I plugged my antenna back into my regular tuner; and turned on the TV - the channel has full signal strength and is crystal clear on the television. Anyway, tried a few times and it isn't worth the frustration, very odd behavior. I may try again if reviews improve because it is a great idea, but nowhere near ready for release.

scottjl

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scottjl

well my first unit arrived DOA, Woot replaced it fairly quickly. At first the second unit wasn't recognizing any of the 3 hard drives I had tried with it, then I realized I had them all previously formatted with a GPT partition table. I zeroed that out and it recognized drives just fine. Formatted, found channels and is happily recording.

For the $90 doesn't seem like a bad unit, really depends on what you can pick up in your area obviously. The web application is a bit slow and clunky, the iOS app seems more useful to me. I am impressed it can stream shows to my iPhone 5 while I'm not at home.