zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Google Nexus 7 32GB Tablet
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Monday, Feb 10 to Thursday, Feb 13) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/28/2014 - $219.99 - 27 comment(s)
1/15/2014 - $149.99 (Woot-off) - 19 comment(s)
1/3/2014 - $149.99 - 59 comment(s)

1/24/2014 - $219.99 (Woot Plus)
1/13/2014 - $219.99 (Woot Plus)
12/10/2013 - $149.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3530 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out these tips and tricks

and

Solid reviews (4 out of 5 eggs) over at newegg.com

and

Let's read all about Jelly Bean 4.1

mrmarchuk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrmarchuk

Is this first gen, or second gen N7?

slicydunno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slicydunno

Wootners should note that this is not the current model Nexus 7.

slicydunno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slicydunno

The tablet, the OS, and the reviews are dated.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mrmarchuk wrote:Is this first gen, or second gen N7?

It should say on the sale page:
Google RNEXUS7-1B32 Nexus 7 32GB Tablet (Gen 1)

DemonOfRazgriz89

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DemonOfRazgriz89

This is fantastic tablet. My gf bought this 1st gen model shortly after coming out summer 2012 and I always loved playing with it. The performance is top-notch; always butter smooth, regardless if you have multiple apps running. Battery life is the best I've ever seen in an Android device. I could sit and play the full 3D game GTAIII for a like 3 hrs straight and still be at around 75%. It can handle just about anything you throw at it. Should also mention this 1st gen is eligible for upgrade to 4.4 Kitkat just like the 2nd gen. Highly recommend this tablet.

filmpunk74

quality posts: 1 Private Messages filmpunk74
slicydunno wrote:The tablet, the OS, and the reviews are dated.

Because it's a Nexus the OS is not an issue. The very first automatic update that you will get will be the upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat. The hardware is not the latest, but it's still very capable. This is my daily driver and it's good enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade for at least one more gen. I mostly read my textbooks on it, but I also play games (Badlands, Need for Speed) and they look beautiful.

filmpunk74

quality posts: 1 Private Messages filmpunk74
filmpunk74 wrote:Because it's a Nexus the OS is not an issue. The very first automatic update that you will get will be the upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat. The hardware is not the latest, but it's still very capable. This is my daily driver and it's good enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade for at least one more gen. I mostly read my textbooks on it, but I also play games (Badlands, Need for Speed) and they look beautiful.

Wish I could say I look good when I'm madly and silently tilting my tablet on the train with my headphones on.

mrmarchuk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrmarchuk
ROGETRAY wrote:It should say on the sale page:
Google RNEXUS7-1B32 Nexus 7 32GB Tablet (Gen 1)

Ah, thanks. Looked up the specs and noticed it was a 1st gen, forgot to edit comment

Innergaara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Innergaara

This version has some advantages over the 2013. I've had a '12 since about the time it came out and it suffered from the bad storage controller issues that were reported. I guess a newer update of Android was set to fix that but I haven't really tested that out since I upgraded my phone.

The '12 is fantastic though for what I want to do with it; which is install it in the dash of my car. You can't do this as easily with the '13 unless you rewire the physical buttons. The '12 with Timur's custom kernel is made for exactly that and I'm tempted to buy another '12 despite having the '13.

ageofreason13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ageofreason13

I bought one when this was offered in December. Right after Christmas I ran an update and have had a dead robot on the screen ever since. For $150 this thing has been more trouble than it's worth.

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin

I bought one of these on release day back in 2012. It has served me amazingly well since then, but this does not seem like that great of a deal for the old model (if it is the old model).

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice

patrice2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages patrice2

How does this compare to the 7" Galaxy Tab 3? (which I just bought, in an 8GB internal storage, with a 32GB external SD card that Jelly Bean won't load apps to....)
//edit//
Never mind I just figured out the Nexus doesn't have a rear camera (so I am happier with my Tab3), though it has already gotten the upgrade to 4.3 (still jelly belly, but with the apps-to-external-storage issue fixed, I believe) which Tab3 7 inch might or might not ever get...either model getting Kit Kat (without rooting) seems dubious to me at this late date

For anyone who doesn't mind the small megapixel size of the single camera, this is a nice device, though not at an amazing price at this point (the Tab3 retails regularly now at $139)

I love a 7 inch tablet--the 8 gets juuuust too big to handle like a paperback for me (size medium women's gloves) and fit in a large coat pocket, but offers better eReading than the 5inch screen of my Galaxy Player (running 2.3.2 Gingerbread, and doing things better than Jelly Bust 4.1.2, IMO.)

nutmeg3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutmeg3
ageofreason13 wrote:I bought one when this was offered in December. Right after Christmas I ran an update and have had a dead robot on the screen ever since. For $150 this thing has been more trouble than it's worth.

I had the same thing happen to mine. I was able to get an RMA # and send it back. I call this a piece of junk.
Here is a link to the discussion for Dec 7.
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5633674&pageindex=1&replycount=188

reundo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reundo
Innergaara wrote:This version has some advantages over the 2013. I've had a '12 since about the time it came out and it suffered from the bad storage controller issues that were reported. I guess a newer update of Android was set to fix that but I haven't really tested that out since I upgraded my phone.

The '12 is fantastic though for what I want to do with it; which is install it in the dash of my car. You can't do this as easily with the '13 unless you rewire the physical buttons. The '12 with Timur's custom kernel is made for exactly that and I'm tempted to buy another '12 despite having the '13.

Can you elaborate on the buttons? Why are the buttons on the '12 better than the '13 model placing in the dash?

michaeltamory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaeltamory

I got this model around Christmas of 2012 and it worked very well for 11 months, then crashed- weird looking little Android robot laying on his back. I had not attempted any software modifications of any kind. Google passed the buck to Asus, the manufacturer, who repaired it under warranty- they kept it about two weeks. Exactly a month later, the same glitch, only now we're OUT or warranty. Something about the software upgrade is causing the first generation models to crash. I would avoid this model. A Kindle Fire may operate under a more restrictive Android environment, but Amazon's customer service is amazing. Google's customer service simply cannot compare.

Innergaara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Innergaara
reundo wrote:Can you elaborate on the buttons? Why are the buttons on the '12 better than the '13 model placing in the dash?

This Timur guy made it so that you'll never need the buttons for the '12. This means you can hide the buttons behind the dash of the car and fully use the tablet with just the screen. Basically, the car turns on, the tablet starts. The car turns off, the tablet goes in to a deep sleep to keep the tablet from dying. You can attach USB devices to the tablet as well for things like a USB flash drive.

jlimmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlimmer

This is 1st generation. 2nd generation has front and back cameras.

birdoprey5

quality posts: 11 Private Messages birdoprey5

I've had my 32GB Nexus 7 since November 2012 and it still feels and acts like a new tablet- it doesn't feel dated at all. I'm seriously considering getting this for my sister who is always borrowing my Nexus. The lack of a rear facing camera is my only complaint- otherwise it's excellent.

I found the more in depth review I posted when I first got the Nexus here-

http://www.juot.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1487300#post1487300

If you're debating whether you want a Nexus or a Kindle which I was at the time, I (consider myself more of a "power user") was very happy I went with the Nexus. I later bought a Kindle for my Mom and while she very much enjoys it, the limited interface would not have sufficed for me.

tindios

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tindios

This is a terrible price when you consider GameStop sold this exact model for $99 new and that was months ago?(I got one and so did my mom)

I have heard it was a "price mistake" and should have been the 16GB model but they honored it and tons of people got Staples, Walmart, and Sears to match and bought BRAND NEW 2012 Nexus 7 32GB models for $99!!

On the 2012 unit, Woot should be able to do $100 if not better since the 2013 unit is out and regularly under $200!! This is very disappointing!!

reundo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reundo
Innergaara wrote:This Timur guy made it so that you'll never need the buttons for the '12. This means you can hide the buttons behind the dash of the car and fully use the tablet with just the screen. Basically, the car turns on, the tablet starts. The car turns off, the tablet goes in to a deep sleep to keep the tablet from dying. You can attach USB devices to the tablet as well for things like a USB flash drive.

Thanks! I looked more into Timur, you need to flash the device with that specific rom for the specified functionality.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61

Got one when it first came out - still runs great but do not recommend to anyone at this price.

wuwee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wuwee
tindios wrote:This is a terrible price when you consider GameStop sold this exact model for $99 new and that was months ago?(I got one and so did my mom)

I have heard it was a "price mistake" and should have been the 16GB model but they honored it and tons of people got Staples, Walmart, and Sears to match and bought BRAND NEW 2012 Nexus 7 32GB models for $99!!
On the 2012 unit, Woot should be able to do $100 if not better since the 2013 unit is out and regularly under $200!! This is very disappointing!!

TOTALLY 100% AGREE with you right there!!

bockclock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bockclock

Had nothing but issues with the touch screen on this thing. Seems to decide on its own when it wants to work or not.

ehejl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ehejl

I have this tablet. The hardware is definitely under powered for the OS. Quite frequently I have stalling and lagging, especially when changing apps and using the swipe keyboard. I'd pass on this deal and get something newer.

fljoemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fljoemon

The sound output on these first gen tablets are extremely low. I primarily use these to watch movies when I travel and I can hardly hear anything when using headphones on a plane. I flashed it with custom mods for sound, but the latest ROMs disable the sound mod and now I have resorted to using a FiiO amplifier to enhance the sound. Other that that this has served its purpose and using a custom ROM from xda forum, this tablet has performed great. BTW I have SmoothROM v5.3 currently loaded on the tablet.

ClaudiaM

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ClaudiaM

Bought this last time it came up. Unfortunately, the lack of rear camera is a big deal for my main use of an Android device (playing Ingress--often one wants to take non-selfie photos).*

I haven't experienced the dead android but I've declined to run the OS update. Doesn't seem to be any way (without rooting) to prevent it at least prompting to update, though. Not a great deal for my purposes, alas.

*Go Enlightened! Choose Enlightened!

bmsjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmsjr

waiting to get mine back from ASUS. I bought one the last time they were on sale, it booted once and then basically hung at the Nexus prompt.

nen06587

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nen06587

this is a very good tablet. i still have it and for the price you cant go wrong. my only problem with it is that the screen cracked quite easily. and pretty much for no reason. small crack on it. with a case. still works but you have to flip the tablet around to type things and such.

sager64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sager64

Sadly this one is not WOOTs best deal, NEWEGG has the exact same unit, on sale for 146.99 with free shipping...

[MOD: I'm seeing $179.]

jaydpiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaydpiii

"How does this compare to the 7" Galaxy Tab 3?"
I had purchased a Tab 2 7in, on sale, just after the Tab 3 came out. Had some trouble with the unit (it was a discounted display), so I paid difference, and tried the Tab 3. It would NOT move load nonsystem apps to MicroSD. Tried apps, et. al. I finally talked to an engineer at Samsung, USA. He stated that the 7 in Tab 3 was NOT designed to allow apps to load on the MicroSD! And as an 8 GB mem tablet, a serious design flaw (by choice!). So, I returned it, and went back to the 7 in Tab 2, 8GB mem with 32 Gb MicroSD. Happy with it. Though I believe, that all tablets, MicroSD or not, should have at least 16 Gb mem. The Nexus, with no icroSD but with 32 Gb mem, should be plenty. Though I might look at the ASUS MeMO, 16 Gb 7 in for my next ... However, this is a good deal with 32 Gb mem.

dunlop406

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dunlop406

Microcenter has the 2013 Nexus 7 on sale right now. The 16gb model is $200 and the 32gb model is $230. They also have the 2012 Nexus 7 16gb model for $130.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran

Be warned...there is an issue out there with either the charging port or software that causes these to slow to a trickle when charging. You can charge it overnight and it will only be at 50%. Google and Asus are ignoring the issue. Before you slam me, look it up for yourself. It's very frustrating. Great tablet otherwise.

Rock

micamoca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micamoca

You are going to get some great deals on here but expect to pay in terms of frayed nerves if you have problem with the order. I bought an item on 4 December it arrived 30 December not as stated in the order selection. I reported this on 31 December not a word until 15 Jan 2014, got an offer of $40 off a $400 item to keep; asked for exchange or counter offer on 16 Jan 2014.
ALL MOST A MONTH LATER, NO REPLY!!!!
Buyers beware, IJS!
CRM:0024982

[MOD: Sorry for the delay. I'll email CS to let them know of your concerns.]

latechdan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages latechdan

For those that have posted about buying one of these previously and having it die with a green robot after an update, I had this happen with two units purchased from NewEgg. I believe the problem is that they are being flashed at the refurb facility with the wrong version of Android. Out of the box, mine indicated that they had 3G capabilities, but did not actually have 3G. The update to KitKat killed them. I was able to recover them by downloading the correct (non-3G) Android images and manually installing them. I think the automatic update attempts to update to the 3G version, but fails, leaving the tablet dead.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran

Other than my issues with charging, I've had zero issues. The charging port on this is very shallow so using it while plugged in requires being gentle. Decent deal for the hardware but I think I'd apply the $150 to the latest thang.

Rock

rldreams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rldreams
EAGLESW00T wrote:Oh look....its another tablet on Woot.

Is there anyone who DOESNT have a tablet or two by now?

I don't have 1 or 2, have 3, 1 OLD Dell streak 7 and 2 64Gb Xoom 4G. The Streak is long overdue for an update. However it will not be updated to a 2 year on Nexus with more/less same outdated specs. Especially now when I can get a current release with twice the processor for $50 more than this "great" Woot deal.

patrice2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages patrice2
jaydpiii wrote:"How does this compare to the 7" Galaxy Tab 3?"
I had purchased a Tab 2 7in, on sale, just after the Tab 3 came out. Had some trouble with the unit (it was a discounted display), so I paid difference, and tried the Tab 3. It would NOT move load nonsystem apps to MicroSD. Tried apps, et. al. I finally talked to an engineer at Samsung, USA. He stated that the 7 in Tab 3 was NOT designed to allow apps to load on the MicroSD! And as an 8 GB mem tablet, a serious design flaw (by choice!). So, I returned it, and went back to the 7 in Tab 2, 8GB mem with 32 Gb MicroSD. Happy with it. Though I believe, that all tablets, MicroSD or not, should have at least 16 Gb mem. The Nexus, with no icroSD but with 32 Gb mem, should be plenty. Though I might look at the ASUS MeMO, 16 Gb 7 in for my next ... However, this is a good deal with 32 Gb mem.

I agree that 32mb of internal memory should be plenty unless you want to keep media downloads, but I can't imagine using 32 megs for app storage.

Samsung told me last week that everything running Jellybean 4.1 does not allow moving apps, only media, to external sd card; this was fixed in the 10.1 by making JB 4.2 and later 4.3 available to it, but it has not yet happened for the 8 and 7 inch Tab 3. (She claimed that was Google's doing, as they roll out releases device by device so as to not crash their servers. Given Google's 18 month cutoff for creating updates I would not hold out hope of this Nexus or my Tab3 7.0 getting any official upgrades.)