danincolorado

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danincolorado

I'm sure it's great... but the 2013 tablet is only $220 new from Google. The advantages of this over the Samsung devices are tremendous in that it doesn't have the Samsung bloatware and UI, the straight Google UI is far better than what you get with Tab devices. But the super high resolution on the 2013 version of this is worth spending the extra money on.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
patrice2 wrote:I agree that 32mb of internal memory should be plenty unless you want to keep media downloads, but I can't imagine using 32 megs for app storage. ...

I believe you mean 32 gigs, because 32 megs of storage was inadequate 15 years ago, let alone nowadays.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake

Serious question now - anyone have a personal recommendation on a case/cover for this? Sub-$15 (which is already over 10% of what I just bought mine for, same specs and all, from NE), and would prefer one that fully covers the screen with the proper magnetic on/off.

(Searching on Amazon ... well, their search engine SUCKS - when I search "nexus 7 case 2012", I should NOT be getting 3/4 of the results for cases that fit the new 2013 version! ... and trying to wade through that on their mobile site is even more tedious ... but enough digressing.)

Thanks!

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin
Narfcake wrote:Serious question now - anyone have a personal recommendation on a case/cover for this? Sub-$15 (which is already over 10% of what I just bought mine for, same specs and all, from NE), and would prefer one that fully covers the screen with the proper magnetic on/off.

(Searching on Amazon ... well, their search engine SUCKS - when I search "nexus 7 case 2012", I should NOT be getting 3/4 of the results for cases that fit the new 2013 version! ... and trying to wade through that on their mobile site is even more tedious ... but enough digressing.)

Thanks!

I bought this one for myself when it was on sale for 10 bux. I would say it is worth it for 15. The stand works well, the case holds it in securely, and it feels of solid quality.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093CB2HQ/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice

rootat127dot0dot0dot1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rootat127dot0dot0dot1

Since it's a "no compromise Android tablet", it must have USB OTG and a micro SD slot or similar storage option?

slothful1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slothful1
nutmeg3 wrote:I had the same thing happen to mine. I was able to get an RMA # and send it back. I call this a piece of junk.
Here is a link to the discussion for Dec 7.
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5633674&pageindex=1&replycount=188

Yes. Still waiting on my refund two months later...

[MOD: I'll ask CS about your refund. Sorry for the delay.]

birdoprey5

quality posts: 11 Private Messages birdoprey5
Narfcake wrote:Serious question now - anyone have a personal recommendation on a case/cover for this? Sub-$15 (which is already over 10% of what I just bought mine for, same specs and all, from NE), and would prefer one that fully covers the screen with the proper magnetic on/off.

Thanks!

This is the exact one I bought - http://www.amazon.com/Gearonic-Leather-Magnetic-Google-5088BPUIB/dp/B008PZQDPI/ - fits perfect, no problems.

Innergaara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Innergaara
rootat127dot0dot0dot1 wrote:Since it's a "no compromise Android tablet", it must have USB OTG and a micro SD slot or similar storage option?

No card slot. You can get USB OTG to work but I'm not sure it's enabled without Root access.

rootat127dot0dot0dot1

Innergaara wrote:No card slot. You can get USB OTG to work but I'm not sure it's enabled without Root access.

Thank you for the correction. Definately a non-starter, given these compromises!

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia
patrice2 wrote:How does this compare to the 7" Galaxy Tab 3? (which I just bought, in an 8GB internal storage, with a 32GB external SD card that Jelly Bean won't load apps to....)
//edit//
Never mind I just figured out the Nexus doesn't have a rear camera (so I am happier with my Tab3), though it has already gotten the upgrade to 4.3 (still jelly belly, but with the apps-to-external-storage issue fixed, I believe) which Tab3 7 inch might or might not ever get...either model getting Kit Kat (without rooting) seems dubious to me at this late date

For anyone who doesn't mind the small megapixel size of the single camera, this is a nice device, though not at an amazing price at this point (the Tab3 retails regularly now at $139)

I love a 7 inch tablet--the 8 gets juuuust too big to handle like a paperback for me (size medium women's gloves) and fit in a large coat pocket, but offers better eReading than the 5inch screen of my Galaxy Player (running 2.3.2 Gingerbread, and doing things better than Jelly Bust 4.1.2, IMO.)

The Nexus (either generation) has a more powerful processor too, and higher resolution screen.

Galaxy Tab 3, as you pointed out, has a rear facing cam. Nexus 2013 also does. Neither is particularly great for taking pics... kind of useless IMO since most smartphones have better cameras and are a lot easier to hold for that.

Android 4.1 and 8 GB of storage though, kills the Galaxy Tab 3. You have about 6.5 GB for apps due to the OS. Can't move to SD, and though there are workarounds I've found they're not reliable. This means if you're going to download big apps (esp. games) you'll fill it up really fast. Considering that running apps is far and away the primary use of tablets, this is a pretty bad setup. It's not a whole lot better than having an 8 GB Nexus with no SD slot, and definitely a lot worse than this guy with 32 GB internal mem.

All that having been said... if any are looking at this, you should check Amazon first. Hint: add it to your cart and look at the final price.

disraeli

quality posts: 7 Private Messages disraeli
cjmoran wrote:Be warned...there is an issue out there with either the charging port or software that causes these to slow to a trickle when charging. You can charge it overnight and it will only be at 50%. Google and Asus are ignoring the issue. Before you slam me, look it up for yourself. It's very frustrating. Great tablet otherwise.

Like the dead robot at update, this is an issue that may plague a Nexus 7, but doesn't strike all of them. Mine's functioning faultlessly since release. Since these are sold as new, they have the standard warranty, I'd assume, and if you don't encounter these issues within a year, I doubt you'll see them.

I had to exchange the first one I received, due to a charging issue. It was a hassle, sure, but not that painful...and while packing it for the return I noticed the screen was cracked (probably my fault for sitting with it in my back pocket). But the replacement was swiftly made.

Technically, the glass is always full.

disraeli

quality posts: 7 Private Messages disraeli
rootat127dot0dot0dot1 wrote:Since it's a "no compromise Android tablet", it must have USB OTG and a micro SD slot or similar storage option?

You are aware that Android is an operating system, right? You're talking hardware features here.

Technically, the glass is always full.

chadness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadness
sager64 wrote:Sadly this one is not WOOTs best deal, NEWEGG has the exact same unit, on sale for 146.99 with free shipping...

[MOD: I'm seeing $179.]

MOD, he was looking at the refurb, it's $146.99 for the refurb unit. You're looking at the brand new one for $179. I figured Woot had a refurb, especially with the part number, but condition says new I see! Exciting!

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
rootat127dot0dot0dot1 wrote:Thank you for the correction. Definately a non-starter, given these compromises!

I haven't rooted mine and OTG works. Mine's a 2012 model upgraded to Jelly Bean.

(Speaking of which, Android versions just don't matter that much anymore now that almost everything is updated via apps in the Play Store rather than the OS.)

rootat127dot0dot0dot1

disraeli wrote:You are aware that Android is an operating system, right? You're talking hardware features here.

Unsure of your point. You understand that "tablet" is hardware, right? (I can get snarky, too.) As a registered trademark, "Android" was used in the quotation as an adjective, not as a noun.

The section of the description that was quoted spoke more of the hardware than the OS.

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
patrice2 wrote:She claimed that was Google's doing, as they roll out releases device by device so as to not crash their servers.

Then she was seriously misinformed or a liar. Google does not roll out firmware for third party companies like Samsung. They release the Android core (i.e. 4.1.2, 4.3, 4.4) and the device manufacturers customize the update to create custom firmware for their specific device hardware. They then distribute it themselves, not Google. The only reason Samsung would be on 4.1 for these devices is because they have not invested the resources to create the newer Jelly Bean or KitKat upgrade. If you have a 4.1 device that has not seen any updates since then, it's a good indication of the companies commitment and you probably will not see one.

picotribe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages picotribe

One thing to be aware of;
If you're expecting to be able to use the Nexus 7 for processing credit cards with Square or another card processor that uses the little plug-in card reader, THEY DO NOT WORK WITH THE NEXUS.
The reason is that the headphone jack on most mobile devices doubles as an input jack for microphones & other devices, BUT the Nexus headphone jack is a single function jack, so it does not receive data from those types of devices.
You can still open a Square account or the like but you will have to enter card info manually every time, which also costs more of a service fee through those services.

firefox91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firefox91
tindios wrote:This is a terrible price when you consider GameStop sold this exact model for $99 new and that was months ago?(I got one and so did my mom)

I have heard it was a "price mistake" and should have been the 16GB model but they honored it and tons of people got Staples, Walmart, and Sears to match and bought BRAND NEW 2012 Nexus 7 32GB models for $99!!

On the 2012 unit, Woot should be able to do $100 if not better since the 2013 unit is out and regularly under $200!! This is very disappointing!!

Well, let me just jump in my DeLorean, crank it up to 88, and go get my $99 Nexus.

Just got back. They were out of stock.

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
firefox91 wrote:Well, let me just jump in my DeLorean, crank it up to 88, and go get my $99 Nexus.

That's not the posters point. He's arguing that the $150 pricepoint for a 2 year old 7" device is too high, and they are right.

I bought an 8" Archos tablet with similiar specs (larger screen, worse battery) plus the SD card slot and a better camera for only $190. That was 9 months ago. The gen 1 Nexus is a good tablet, but in 2014 with the amount of competition on the market it's a $99 dollar one, not $150.

tindios

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tindios
Innergaara wrote:No card slot. You can get USB OTG to work but I'm not sure it's enabled without Root access.

The Nexus Media importer works and you do not need to root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer

tindios

firefox91 wrote:Well, let me just jump in my DeLorean, crank it up to 88, and go get my $99 Nexus.

You apparently need time machine lessons!! You should have just gone back BEFORE they were out of stock... DUH??!! ;-Þ

tindios

I bought this and love it!

MoKo Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet by ASUS
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP5NJ5W/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Low profile, a lot of colors, has the magnetic on off in the cover, and can be used like the iPad cover as a stand.

samuelsner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samuelsner

Has anyone who ordered actually received their product? I got a shipment notification on Feb 7th but the tracked status is stuck at 'initiated'. FedEx says that have not received the package from the shipper... oh no!

Anyone have the same issue?

gallonoffuel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gallonoffuel
samuelsner wrote:Has anyone who ordered actually received their product? I got a shipment notification on Feb 7th but the tracked status is stuck at 'initiated'. FedEx says that have not received the package from the shipper... oh no!

Same. Hasn't left Miami yet.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

samuelsner wrote:Has anyone who ordered actually received their product? I got a shipment notification on Feb 7th but the tracked status is stuck at 'initiated'. FedEx says that have not received the package from the shipper... oh no!

Please be aware that standard shipping on items is usually 3-8 business days from the sale (sometimes much sooner than that). We ask that you allow a couple more days for your item(s) to ship.

We recommend that if you don't see any tracking updates/activity by February 14th, to please write back into support@woot.com and let them know.

lukestar68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lukestar68
gallonoffuel wrote:Same. Hasn't left Miami yet.

Me too. When you get a message that says shipped shouldn't it have shipped?

HasaSmock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HasaSmock

same thing, I'm emailing support again, the said if it hasn't shipped by today to let them know so they can see what the problem is. They said it isn't uncommon for and order to sit in one place for up to 10 days!

todd2170

quality posts: 0 Private Messages todd2170

I use the supcase off amazon. u can use the same case as the 2013 model. It does have the magnetic screen off, it has a great leather feel to it.

Thanks!

dtgfunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtgfunk

Did I f\*ck up and hit the 13 day shipping option?

dtg

qsalvage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qsalvage

You guys get NEW tablets ? I got one for my Son, arrived, had been opened and was DOA...Woot support says call ASUS...went through that mess and ASUS says this unit only has warranty til Dec this year..meaning it was not new sealed with one year warranty as I just got it a few days ago, and ASUS may send a used or refurb back..not new--....good luck my other suckers...hope you don't have 11th month warranty issues...