WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Are you a Millennial (age 18-32)?
  • 33.3% - Yes 644
  • 62.9% - No 1216
  • 3.8% - I don't believe in "definitions" (in other words, "yes") 74
1934 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

How is someone born in 1982 a Millennial?

thestone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thestone
bnbsouthworth wrote:How is someone born in 1982 a Millennial?

They were 18 in 2000? I don't know, that's the best reason I could think of.

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006

manhandsha

quality posts: 35 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Maybe, but I'll never tell which end of that range I'm closer to.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

blazesenpai

quality posts: 8 Private Messages blazesenpai

If I answer you'll just spy on me.

Wait...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

blazesenpai wrote:If I answer you'll just spy on me.

Wait...

BONUS: I'm actually a Millennial baby who remembers this song...is that weird?!

salanth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages salanth

Maybe it's for people who remember wanting an electronic drum kit.

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

Apparently I'm an old fart having been born in '75... but I'm a proud member of Gen X. I'm also very happy that my parents were part of The Silent Generation and not #$@%&*! me-me-me-centric baby boomers.

circusninja

quality posts: 9 Private Messages circusninja

Glad to be on the young side of Gen X

treyj86

quality posts: 2 Private Messages treyj86

I don't fully understand how a generation can span so many years. I'm on the older side of millennials (born in '86), supposedly, and yet, I highly doubt that I can relate to those born in the early 2000's. In fact, I have trouble relating to those 10 years younger.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
treyj86 wrote:I don't fully understand how a generation can span so many years. I'm on the older side of millennials (born in '86), supposedly, and yet, I highly doubt that I can relate to those born in the early 2000's. In fact, I have trouble relating to those 10 years younger.

Try being in the later years of the Baby Boomers. I was born in late 1961 and have little in common with the Boomers born in the late 40s. (Boomers are between 1946-1964). Actually, a subgroup has been created called "Generation Jones" that covers we later Boomers. They might later split up the Millenials.

noodle192000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noodle192000

I've been looking into this lately and it seems like a lot of the articles/studies I read disagree on where the Millennial/Y generation ends. A few if them say that the 18-year-olds are part of a different generation entirely.

As for me, I am an older Millennial. I'm 30. :-)

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii

18-32 year old people are too busy going to school and/or working to answer this silly question. Hence the high representation of us geezers.

goddess8681

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goddess8681

I am 32 almost 33. I am NOT counting myself as a Millennial. EVER.

glitteringloke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glitteringloke

yeah, i'm not sure how i'm in that range since i was born in late '81. it's such an awkward thing... too young for gen x, too old for gen y.... and certainly not close to those that are nearly a generation behind me.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Didn't you know all the cool kids are Gen X? Ah, the good old days, drinking coffee, smoking, ten layers of flannels. I work at a college so I do see the Millenials and I gotta say, we were very different at that age.

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138
CatCK wrote:Try being in the later years of the Baby Boomers. I was born in late 1961 and have little in common with the Boomers born in the late 40s. (Boomers are between 1946-1964). Actually, a subgroup has been created called "Generation Jones" that covers we later Boomers. They might later split up the Millenials.

Never considered myself a Boomer. Born late '62.
Next Tuesday I'll be going to see Skinny Puppy. Not someone normally associated with Babyboomers. (although Ogre was also born late 1962 and cEvin was born early '61)

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

I'm 33. So close.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

jaelitabonita

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaelitabonita
glitteringloke wrote:yeah, i'm not sure how i'm in that range since i was born in late '81. it's such an awkward thing... too young for gen x, too old for gen y.... and certainly not close to those that are nearly a generation behind me.

Agreed. I was born in '81 as well and don't feel that I relate to gen X but definitely not a millennial.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I'm in the 'TV dinner' generation.

Swanson introduced the TV dinner the year I was born.

And, gas was $.22 a gal.
But, buy gas on Wednesday, because that was 'double S&H Green stamps' day!

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix
manhandsha wrote:Maybe, but I'll never tell which end of that range I'm closer to.

Never be embarrassed about your age. That crap should die with our parents generation. I'm a millennial and I'm 30. I LOVE being 30! Twenties were nothing but a struggle. Being broke, being in college, being in grad school, looking for a mate (proved to be a waste of time. It'll happen when it happens), picking the right career....it's like we can finally just live now that were done trying to figure crap out. My friends and I are having a blast. Hope to not have kids til I'm 40!

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138
daveinwarshington wrote:I'm in the 'TV dinner' generation.

Swanson introduced the TV dinner the year I was born.

And, gas was $.22 a gal.
But, buy gas on Wednesday, because that was 'double S&H Green stamps' day!

They stopped using "TV Dinner" the year I was born. I've always known them as "TV Dinners". Must've come from my parents.

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425
conanthelibrarian wrote:Didn't you know all the cool kids are Gen X? Ah, the good old days, drinking coffee, smoking, ten layers of flannels. I work at a college so I do see the Millenials and I gotta say, we were very different at that age.

I see a lot of millennials too because I'm taking a course at the local state college here and you aren't kidding.

Gen X is barely over half the size of the boomers or their millennial-spawn, and we've generally gotten the shaft thanks to both of them. Media-wise all we ever seem to hear about is 20-something this and 20-something that, or the mating habits of AARP-members (seriously, just how many commercials about erectile dysfunction medications can they cram in during a football game?!?! And why do I need another bathtub?!). Ugh...

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

I am the most senior of the Gen-Xers, born in 1965. I always felt I was born too late, should have been a hippie. Gen-Xers are so cranky and disgruntled. Well, I fit right in!

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov
trixierix wrote:Never be embarrassed about your age. That crap should die with our parents generation. I'm a millennial and I'm 30. I LOVE being 30! Twenties were nothing but a struggle. Being broke, being in college, being in grad school, looking for a mate (proved to be a waste of time. It'll happen when it happens), picking the right career....it's like we can finally just live now that were done trying to figure crap out. My friends and I are having a blast. Hope to not have kids til I'm 40!

Mock your parents' generation all you wish; but do so knowing that everything in this world comes at a price. For example:

"Maternal age affects the chances having a pregnancy with Down syndrome. At age 20 the chance 1 in 1441; at age 30 it is 1 in 959; at age 40 it is 1 in 84; and at age 50 it is 1 in 44. Although the probability increases with maternal age, 70% of children with Down syndrome are born to women 35 years of age and younger, reflecting the fact that younger people have more children. An older age of the father is also a risk factor in women older than 35 but not women younger than 35 and may partly explain the increase in risk as women age." -Wikipedia

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix
vladistov wrote:Mock your parents' generation all you wish; but do so knowing that everything in this world comes at a price. For example:

"Maternal age affects the chances having a pregnancy with Down syndrome. At age 20 the chance 1 in 1441; at age 30 it is 1 in 959; at age 40 it is 1 in 84; and at age 50 it is 1 in 44. Although the probability increases with maternal age, 70% of children with Down syndrome are born to women 35 years of age and younger, reflecting the fact that younger people have more children. An older age of the father is also a risk factor in women older than 35 but not women younger than 35 and may partly explain the increase in risk as women age." -Wikipedia

No one is mocking anyone. I'm just saying people being ashamed to tell their ages (women specifically) is outdated. Be proud. My mom adopted me at 43. I have plenty of time to live it up. To me this is the best option anyway. I'm not popping out a brat for the sake of age if I have any at all. Besides, kids are rather annoying and I've heard time consuming.

mikefisk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikefisk
noodle192000 wrote:As for me, I am an older Millennial. I'm 30. :-)

Likewise, although I tend to self-identify as Gen X simply because my peer group growing up was 2-4 years older than me (graduated from high school early).

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I'm older than dirt.
No, really.
I have dirt in my garden younger than me.
Oh, well...

manhandsha

quality posts: 35 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

trixierix wrote:Never be embarrassed about your age. That crap should die with our parents generation. I'm a millennial and I'm 30. I LOVE being 30! Twenties were nothing but a struggle. Being broke, being in college, being in grad school, looking for a mate (proved to be a waste of time. It'll happen when it happens), picking the right career....it's like we can finally just live now that were done trying to figure crap out. My friends and I are having a blast. Hope to not have kids til I'm 40!

I'm not embarrassed of my age by any means, I'll be 30 this year. I just happen to look somewhere between 16 & 18 depending on who you ask. I'm happy to be childless and debt free at this age. I don't know what could be better!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev
manhandsha wrote:I'm not embarrassed of my age by any means, I'll be 30 this year. I just happen to look somewhere between 16 & 18 depending on who you ask. I'm happy to be childless and debt free at this age. I don't know what could be better!

No, not childLESS - childFREE.