WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple 128GB Gen4 iPad with or w/o ATT 4G

Speed to First Woot:
3m 56.116s
First Sucker:
MarkES
Last Wooter to Woot:
mellophone
Last Purchase:
8 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 45% of Woot.com Woots
Top 28% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 23% of Woot.com Woots
Top 19% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 17% first woot
  • 13% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 20% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 12% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 17% one year old
  • 70% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
3%
2%
1%
3%
4%
4%
5%
4%
10%
5%
5%
4%
4%
5%
3%
5%
4%
5%
6%
1%
5%
3%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2950 Private Messages lichme

Here are a few reviews from BHPhotoVideo


wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]


Apple 128GB Gen4 iPad with or w/o ATT 4G
Price: $599.99 - 699.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Feb 12 to Monday, Feb 17) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/12/2014 - $599.99 - 699.9 - 50 comment(s)


***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3542 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this "outstanding" review over at cnet.com


lobo81865


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

Nice enough product, but as always, horribly over-priced. I'll stick with my Toshiba Thrive, and its full SD card slot.

crisss1205


quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205

Also know, the cellular radio is unlocked and will work on T-Mobile too. You can even get free data (200MB 4G LTE data per month) from T-Mobile even if you are not a current T-Mobile customer.

lobo81865 wrote:Nice enough product, but as always, horribly over-priced. I'll stick with my Toshiba Thrive, and its full SD card slot.



Cool story bro! Honestly, I think the Thrive was overpriced when it came out. $450 and only 8GB of onboard storage? Plus, the think was already outdated at the time.

brentjcook


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentjcook
lobo81865 wrote:Nice enough product, but as always, horribly over-priced. I'll stick with my Toshiba Thrive, and its full SD card slot.



There's a difference between "overpriced" and "more than you want to pay". If enough people buy it, it's not overpriced. Obviously Apple sells enough of these to justify the price.

robio


quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio
brentjcook wrote:There's a difference between "overpriced" and "more than you want to pay". If enough people buy it, it's not overpriced. Obviously Apple sells enough of these to justify the price.



That may be true, but Apple products refurbished by someone other than Apple are never a good deal. In this case, you save only $30 over Apple's own refurb store, and when Apple does the refurb, it comes with free shipping and a 1-year warranty (same as new).

Add shipping and SquareTrade to this deal, and you're paying MORE than you would from Apple.

lauriellen


quality posts: 4 Private Messages lauriellen

That should be "with or without ATT 4G" or "w/ or w/o ATT 4G," to be consistent. ;) -- Laurie, obsessive copy editor

benmason


quality posts: 4 Private Messages benmason
brentjcook wrote:There's a difference between "overpriced" and "more than you want to pay". If enough people buy it, it's not overpriced. Obviously Apple sells enough of these to justify the price.



You are correct there is a difference in the two, but I can guarantee you that apple is not the latter. Just because some people buy stuff at high prices doesn't mean that the price is justified and that its not overpriced. I could go around selling oranges for $100 and I bet you I could find someone to purchase it. Does that make the price right since someone buys it? I must be doing something right.

kuma99


quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

In for 3. Not.

I'll stick with my Sansa clip, even though the screen is smaller.

dkhuu1500


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkhuu1500
benmason wrote:You are correct there is a difference in the two, but I can guarantee you that apple is not the latter. Just because some people buy stuff at high prices doesn't mean that the price is justified and that its not overpriced. I could go around selling oranges for $100 and I bet you I could find someone to purchase it. Does that make the price right since someone buys it? I must be doing something right.



As of Oct 2013, 170 million IPads have been sold. So yeah, I think it's more than a few dumb suckers who have bought one.

Like many readers, I come to the comments section of a product to read reviews from people who own the product already and can give me their opinion of the product based on their experience with it.

If you think this is a bad product then go ahead and share with us the reasons why, but please don't give blanket statements like this product sucks because that tells me nothing but your bias.

Also to the reader who was comparing this to an Apple refurb., this one is new.

mevande


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
robio wrote:That may be true, but Apple products refurbished by someone other than Apple are never a good deal. In this case, you save only $30 over Apple's own refurb store, and when Apple does the refurb, it comes with free shipping and a 1-year warranty (same as new).

Add shipping and SquareTrade to this deal, and you're paying MORE than you would from Apple.




You tool! This is a new product and not a refurbished one. I guess no one taught you how to read.

metagg


quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg
benmason wrote:...I could go around selling oranges for $100 and I bet you I could find someone to purchase it. Does that make the price right since someone buys it? I must be doing something right.



If I bought an orange from you for $100, I guarantee that I would convince myself that it was the best orange I had ever tasted.

nanaejt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
metagg wrote:If I bought an orange from you for $100, I guarantee that I would convince myself that it was the best orange I had ever tasted.



Good one !

nutmeg3


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutmeg3
dkhuu1500 wrote:As of Oct 2013, 170 million IPads have been sold. So yeah, I think it's more than a few dumb suckers who have bought one.

Like many readers, I come to the comments section of a product to read reviews from people who own the product already and can give me their opinion of the product based on their experience with it.

If you think this is a bad product then go ahead and share with us the reasons why, but please don't give blanket statements like this product sucks because that tells me nothing but your bias.

Also to the reader who was comparing this to an Apple refurb., this one is new.



I own this tab in 128GB Wi-Fi, and really like it. It is fast, and the display is beautiful. The only negative is the wireless card, and Apple has improved this in the Air.
IMO buy new, most of us including me, did not need an 128GB tab.

ithinkblue


quality posts: 16 Private Messages ithinkblue

I bought my iPad 3, two years ago. I also have a Windows based laptop. I use them both about equally. It took some time to start using the iPad as much as I do. I love the way it mirrors my iPhone. I'm happy sharing my hard earned cash with both Apple and Microsoft.

bendotson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bendotson

Haha! The first hit on eBay has the wifi model for $650.00 new. Guess my streak of not purchasing from Woot will continue!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-128GB-iPad-4th-Gen-with-Retina-Display-Wi-Fi-Black-or-White-New-/390752599972?pt=US_Tablets&var=&hash=item5afaab7fa4

ap210


quality posts: 48 Private Messages ap210

Condition: "NEW"

You should pay attention to the fine details. I got this during the last woot and put Applecare+ on it since it was new.

robio wrote:That may be true, but Apple products refurbished by someone other than Apple are never a good deal. In this case, you save only $30 over Apple's own refurb store, and when Apple does the refurb, it comes with free shipping and a 1-year warranty (same as new).

Add shipping and SquareTrade to this deal, and you're paying MORE than you would from Apple.



  1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

ap210


quality posts: 48 Private Messages ap210

"Condition: New"

with WIFI, $599

So you found one on ebay for $50 more, grats.

bendotson wrote:Haha! The first hit on eBay has the wifi model for $650.00 new. Guess my streak of not purchasing from Woot will continue!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-128GB-iPad-4th-Gen-with-Retina-Display-Wi-Fi-Black-or-White-New-/390752599972?pt=US_Tablets&var=&hash=item5afaab7fa4



  1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

kschoenberg


quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

It's always good to consider that Apple tends to roll-off older iOS devices fairly quickly. This 4G device might not get the full next rev of iOS. For instance the first iPad was made obsolete two years after launch.
Not getting new features is one issue, but security patches have only been distributed with full revs of the OS and that can be a problem (there were 200+ Appled documented security patches that the first iPad didn't receive).

Also, be aware, that only the 3G/4G models have GPS capability.

If you want an iPad I'd suggest going with a new model iPad Mini or Air as the cost difference isn't that great. The Air also is significantly lighter.

davidlichtman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidlichtman
kschoenberg wrote:It's always good to consider that Apple tends to roll-off older iOS devices fairly quickly. This 4G device might not get the full next rev of iOS. For instance the first iPad was made obsolete two years



Not a great example as my ipad2 has been the most future-proof electronics device I have owned in a long time. A little slow on iOS 7, but still a champ.

wellsie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wellsie

If you want an iPad, this is a good deal. As other posters said, it's less than refurbs are going for elsewhere, and it's new.

That said, bought one last time as a gift and for the first time ever I was disappointed in the packaging. It came in just a bubble envelope, and the corners of the iPad box were all crushed. For $600 I think it deserved an outer box, as even $10 earphones I've bought have been packed in.

oldgal3


quality posts: 3 Private Messages oldgal3

If one could sell high quality oranges for $100 each, one would do so, and not waste time posting on sites like this. If one could sell 170 million oranges at $100, one would be rich and famous.

lbloechl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lbloechl
davidlichtman wrote:Not a great example as my ipad2 has been the most future-proof electronics device I have owned in a long time. A little slow on iOS 7, but still a champ.



Agree. I'm streaming the Olympics on my iPad2 to my TV and realized that I did this 4 years ago to watch curling. Hard to believe I've had the ipad2 over 4 years and its still able to run most new apps at a decent speed. When I get a new ipad, it will be the most current one. Obsolescence is part of life now, I don't expect my new Samsung smart TV's apps to be supported/updated in 4 years. I doubt they'll be supported 2 years from now. If the TV still works 6 years from now I'll be shocked.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I'm no fanboy by a long shot. It took me a long time to come to terms or to "get over" the limitations that crazy Steve put on his tablets. O/S engineering based on personal vendettas and control-freak issues is not wise.

Recently, (wanting to buy something with Windows 8.1 so I can keep up with my students) I had a choice of peddling my iPad 2 for around $250 or selling an unneeded but nice (heavy) HP Elitebook for the same price.

I actually wiped the iPad, changed my mind, sold the HP and then only reloaded apps that I really used: a decent word processor, some news apps, Netflix and a decent audio recorder. Suddenly, I was using it for what I need to get done.

Then Apple changes the hardware interface on new models and I know I will keep using this one until it dies, then buy some Android device. I will look at Apple some day when then include a slot for whatever card is being used at that time.

PS: Unboxing videos are really silly and boring.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

lytrob


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lytrob

I bought one of these the last time it was available and it arrived, shrink wrapped, but with a dent and a volume button that did not work...I have been trying to get a replacement since.

Not sure if they are used or if I just got a bad one...

jbitzerjr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbitzerjr
poutie999 wrote:Great product but some new Android tablets will perform as well or better for significantly less.



I have a toshiba thrive and a kindle fire that never get used. My wife and son are on their iPads all day.

Go ahead, save a few bucks and get whatever hodgepodge of incompatible hardware with a store full of malware you'll learn a lot of the apps you want aren't available on.

People like iPads, you aren't going to be an android crusader and change people's minds. Go ahead and try to sell your old android tablet, then cry when you see what people are selling their old iPads for.



nuggy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy
jbitzerjr wrote:I have a toshiba thrive and a kindle fire that never get used. My wife and son are on their iPads all day.

Go ahead, save a few bucks and get whatever hodgepodge of incompatible hardware with a store full of malware you'll learn a lot of the apps you want aren't available on.

People like iPads, you aren't going to be an android crusader and change people's minds. Go ahead and try to sell your old android tablet, then cry when you see what people are selling their old iPads for.



Apple's biggest issue is this.....

At this price/functionality level.....Most people should be looking at the MacBook Air....

They do not realize it until they get it home and discover that it is still just a tablet with limited functionality vs. the Air.....

Price per $....The Air is worth so much more than a "nifty" looking tablet.....

hkimb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hkimb

this is the version prior to the latest ipad air, correct?

poutie999


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poutie999
jbitzerjr wrote:I have a toshiba thrive and a kindle fire that never get used. My wife and son are on their iPads all day.

Go ahead, save a few bucks and get whatever hodgepodge of incompatible hardware with a store full of malware you'll learn a lot of the apps you want aren't available on.

People like iPads, you aren't going to be an android crusader and change people's minds. Go ahead and try to sell your old android tablet, then cry when you see what people are selling their old iPads for.



I would never compare the Kindle or Thrive to this iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition is an example of what I consider a viable alternative.

Groupon offers the factory-refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 16GB 2014 Edition 10.1" Android Tablet in White, model no. SM-P6000ZWYXAR, or Black, model no. SM-P6000ZKYXAR, for $389.99 with free shipping. That's tied with our mention from last week and $109 below the best price we could find for a new one. (We saw a new unit on Cyber Monday bundled with a $50 gift card for $110 more.) It features an ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz quad-core processor, 10.1" 2560x1600 touchscreen display, 3GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, microSD card slot, 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with LED flash, 2-megapixel front camera, 1080p video capture, and Android 4.3 OS (Jelly Bean). A 90-day Samsung warranty applies. Deal ends February 11 at 1 am ET

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

@poutie999, the Samsung Note in any size and generation is a very nice tablet - especially if you draw/doodle/design due to its high resolution stylus capability. But comparing the $390 refurb you show to this new iPad 4 is not legit.

And the choice is not simply a hardware choice. Especially those folks who have never had a tablet should spend some quality time with both the Android and Apple iOS software environments. They are very different and both have their benefits. Owning both and having experience with new users, I believe Apple to be the easier to learn choice.

poutie999 wrote:I would never compare the Kindle or Thrive to this iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition is an example of what I consider a viable alternative.

Groupon offers the factory-refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 16GB 2014 Edition 10.1" Android Tablet in White, model no. SM-P6000ZWYXAR, or Black, model no. SM-P6000ZKYXAR, for $389.99 with free shipping. That's tied with our mention from last week and $109 below the best price we could find for a new one. (We saw a new unit on Cyber Monday bundled with a $50 gift card for $110 more.) It features an ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz quad-core processor, 10.1" 2560x1600 touchscreen display, 3GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, microSD card slot, 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with LED flash, 2-megapixel front camera, 1080p video capture, and Android 4.3 OS (Jelly Bean). A 90-day Samsung warranty applies. Deal ends February 11 at 1 am ET


bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

To those who like going with the latest generation, in this case the 5th generation/iPad Air vs today's 4th gen iPad, I agree when the features and price difference make sense.

However, note that the latest gen iPad Air 128 is $799, $200 higher or a 33% premium vs this $599 4th gen iPad. That's a huge premium to pay for the latest generation.

Main Differences...
The latest gen is a bit thinner (the 4th gen actually got thicker than the 2nd & 3rd gen) and lighter - not justifications for most folks to upgrade.

The other main difference is a much more capable CPU. Most users likely won't notice the performance difference with today's apps. What it offers is more future capabilities. So if you're the type to upgrade your tech stuff every 1-2 years you might not get much real world benefit from that new CPU.

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

The +cellular model price step is at a slight discount vs Apple (+$100 vs +$129).

Can't speak to the other carriers, but we have an AT&T model and their latest freestanding no-contract plans are very handy, especially on road trips. Even if your phone is on a different carrier, you can turn these free standing plans on and off at will - and do it from the iPad, even on the road, without wifi available since it uses the AT&T network to initiate the plan.

Even if you're not sure you'll use the cellular data, it is nice to have in a crunch, especially since there are no contract requirements.

AT&T free standing, no contract iPad plans:
250 MB, 1-day - $5
250 MB, 30 days - $14.99
1 GB, 3 months - $25 (our favorite for the summer)
3 GB, 30 days - $30 (these are only needed if you do a lot of streaming)
5 GB, 30 days - $50

The 1st and 3rd plans do not autorenew. The other plans autorenew, but you can go in immediately after turning them on and cancel the autorenew. 

You'd be surprised how far 250MB goes if you're not constantly video streaming. Once saw a stat that 75% of smart phone users stay under 250MB/month.

hamjudo


quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo

I feel like some people are comparing minivans to hook and ladder firetrucks. You can get seven passenger models of each vehicle type. The minivan gets much better mileage, costs a tenth the price, and is way easier to park.

The firetruck is way better for parades and putting out fires in three story buildings. If one day, you need to rescue someone from the third story of a burning building, you will be kicking yourself for buying the minivan and not the firetruck.

I own a minivan and a second gen 32Gb Nexus 7. They each have tasks for which they are just as suited for, if not better suited for, than a firetruck and a 4th gen 128GB iPad. There are also tasks for which they are poor substitutes, if not totally unsuitable for.

poutie999


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poutie999
bluemaple wrote:@poutie999, the Samsung Note in any size and generation is a very nice tablet - especially if you draw/doodle/design due to its high resolution stylus capability. But comparing the $390 refurb you show to this new iPad 4 is not legit.

And the choice is not simply a hardware choice. Especially those folks who have never had a tablet should spend some quality time with both the Android and Apple iOS software environments. They are very different and both have their benefits. Owning both and having experience with new users, I believe Apple to be the easier to learn choice.



Why is it not a "legit" comparison? Your opinion needs to be backed up by the specs. Compare the features versus price and the Samsung wins easily. You may prefer the Apple OS and apps but that is a subjective opinion.

templeton23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages templeton23

is the 4G model considered unlocked? Example: Can I take it to Indonesia or Europe and add a local SIM Chip for data usage away from WiFi connection.

MosquitoControl


quality posts: 15 Private Messages MosquitoControl
nuggy wrote:Apple's biggest issue is this.....

At this price/functionality level.....Most people should be looking at the MacBook Air....

They do not realize it until they get it home and discover that it is still just a tablet with limited functionality vs. the Air.....

Price per $....The Air is worth so much more than a "nifty" looking tablet.....



The thing about the MBA is that... it isn't a tablet. Sometimes you want a tablet. There are disadvantages to the OS but advantages to the form factor. Sometimes you want something you hold in one hand. Can't do that with an MBA.

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
poutie999 wrote:Why is it not a "legit" comparison? Your opinion needs to be backed up by the specs. Compare the features versus price and the Samsung wins easily. You may prefer the Apple OS and apps but that is a subjective opinion.


@poutie999, we have Samsung tablets (although not Notes). I like them. I was not saying cross-shopping a Samsung Note vs iPad was wrong - only that comparing the $390 refurb (especially a 16GB one with 1/8th the storage) you posted to a new 128GB iPad was not fair. Yes, specs matter.

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
templeton23 wrote:is the 4G model considered unlocked? Example: Can I take it to Indonesia or Europe and add a local SIM Chip for data usage away from WiFi connection.


@templeton23, you might try contacting AT&T. They have been very accommodating unlocking my iPhone for foreign sims/travel. At least with phones I believe they require at least 6 months service with them - presumably to assure the device doesn't become a "swimmer" - i.e., that you are an ongoing AT&T customer.