zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Onkyo 7.2 AV Receiver w/WiFi & Bluetooth
Price: $479.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $21 Two-Day OR $24 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Tuesday, Feb 11 to Wednesday, Feb 12) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

deemery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages deemery

No AirPlay support? That's a deal-breaker for me.

And yes I am an "Apple fanboy". Sorry if that offends you.

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab
deemery wrote:No AirPlay support? That's a deal-breaker for me.

And yes I am an "Apple fanboy". Sorry if that offends you.

That's silly... I have apple products and also this receiver. The iPhone and iPad connect fine via Bluetooth and play all my music - works fine just like airplay.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

I own the Onkyo TX-SR506 receiver and been very happy (Bought it when Circuit City was closing so it is an older model). I have had no issues which is why I can't buy this one as it is tough to tell my wife we need a new one, when the one we have sounds so good.

Anyway, my 2 cents, I have had zero issues and it sounds great.

briefus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briefus

Was this not $279.99 this morning when I logged in a looked? I just came back to order one after researching and thought, "good deal for $279"... then right before clicking through purchase, realized it was $479... did the price changed or am I losing my mind?

[MOD: That one done sold out. We put this up to replace it. Sorry for the confusion.]

jbserra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jbserra
briefus wrote:Was this not $279.99 this morning when I logged in a looked? I just came back to order one after researching and thought, "good deal for $279"... then right before clicking through purchase, realized it was $479... did the price changed or am I losing my mind?

This morning was the TX-NR626. They pulled the plug on that one and gave us a different one to complain about.

[MOD: No plug pulled. It sold out.]

CainerWolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CainerWolf
briefus wrote:Was this not $279.99 this morning when I logged in a looked? I just came back to order one after researching and thought, "good deal for $279"... then right before clicking through purchase, realized it was $479... did the price changed or am I losing my mind?

That one was the TX-NR626. This one is the TX-NR727.

The one you were thinking of is here.

phillythekid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phillythekid

Not sure what I'm missing here Mr Woot!!! The original offer was NR-626 at 279.00! Repeat, 279. What's going on? Changed the model (yes, overall better, but not looking to drop the x-tra 2 bills.) Changed midstream to the NR-727 to 479? Not a fair Woot guys. WHATS THE DEAL?

GRANTED, a refurb of this on the Onkyo site is $779, so still 300 less here. The -626 refurb is 399 on there, however you can add a 2 year extended warranty there for $40. Choices choices!

deemery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages deemery
unixrab wrote:That's silly... I have apple products and also this receiver. The iPhone and iPad connect fine via Bluetooth and play all my music - works fine just like airplay.

NOT just like AirPlay. I have all my media (about 700gb worth) on a Mac Mini that's located too far to connect via Bluetooth.

phillythekid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phillythekid
CainerWolf wrote:That one was the TX-NR626. This one is the TX-NR727.

The one you were thinking of is here.

AGREE! Even Woot stooped on this one. Not fair! (But who said they played fair.) Needless to say 'won't be spending the 479. Great deal, assuming the refurb holds up (and 76 for total 1 year 3 month warranty....)

thebignoob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebignoob
deemery wrote:NOT just like AirPlay. I have all my media (about 700gb worth) on a Mac Mini that's located too far to connect via Bluetooth.

Because DLNA is so hard to setup...

I'm able to beam FLAC files from my Mac to my Onkyo NR-TX727 that i got for the same price about two weeks ago, no problem. If you really need airplay support, why not just get an AppleTV or setup XBMC, or a variety of other solutions.

Anyways, that said, this is an amazing receiver for the price, really great for those out there that want to future proof for 4K.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

phillythekid wrote:AGREE! Even Woot stooped on this one. Not fair! (But who said they played fair.) Needless to say 'won't be spending the 479. Great deal, assuming the refurb holds up (and 76 for total 1 year 3 month warranty....)

We didn't stop the 626; it sold out. We replaced the sale with the 727.

Sorry for the confusion. They do look kind of alike.

FWIW, the 727 is a better receiver... more power (110w vs. 95w per channel), more HDMI inputs (8 vs. 6), and line level zone 3 outputs for 3 source playback…

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

@Woot, it would be wonderful if you would request higher resolution back panel shots from vendors, especially for receivers.

The back side matters!;-)

Apparently mother Amazon has them (hover mode):

Rear shots at mother Amazon

Amazon is asking almost $300 more for this Receiver in "new" form.

bluemaple

A nice touch for folks with legacy (or new) album collections who don't want the clutter of an external preamp for their turntable - a requirement on lesser models: this receiver has a Phono input! No external phono preamp required.

mikes123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikes123
deemery wrote:NOT just like AirPlay. I have all my media (about 700gb worth) on a Mac Mini that's located too far to connect via Bluetooth.

Too bad your Mac Mini doesn't support WiFi or Ethernet, because this receiver does either.

ichief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ichief
unixrab wrote:That's silly... I have apple products and also this receiver. The iPhone and iPad connect fine via Bluetooth and play all my music - works fine just like airplay.

Fanboys can't see the forrest for the trees.

bluemaple

The Amazon user reviews for this model look to be overwhelmingly positive - and the couple negative reviews were rated not useful.

For those folks who need zone 2 capability, the following review pretty thoroughly runs down the issues. But read the replies as well to get the full picture.

Detailed review at Amazon

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab
thebignoob wrote:Because DLNA is so hard to setup...

to be fair... apple devotees do have a hard time setting up non-apple thingymabobs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

guswalken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guswalken

Man, I was thinking about the 626.I just wanted to sleep on it. I actually think the 727 has to much for my needs and 200 dollars more, ouch. I do like the fact that both of these guys have phono and a 1 year warranty. What happened to just selling out of something woot? I have a feeling the 626 will be back. Maybe, I'll score one then.

chaddy7us

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaddy7us

Can anyone tell me if this receiver has the ability to output a different video source than audio at the same time (playing the audio on the main speakers)? For example, I like to play madden on my PS3 and listen to music or sports talk instead of the sounds from the game.

I just bought a Sony str-dn1040 and sadly I'm not able to do this unless I plug the PS3 directly into the tv each time I want to do that. I bought the Sony at a decent price ($425 for an open box) but no warranty of course. I have a short time to return it and may consider if this receiver gives me the ability.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the better receiver between the two? I'm having a tough time with which is better. The Sony has AirPlay which is nice, but Bluetooth from an iPhone really isn't much difference.

Thanks all!

justjack1975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justjack1975

O clicked through your last call tweet for $279 and placed my order but was charged $479? Bait and switch!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

justjack1975 wrote:O clicked through your last call tweet for $279 and placed my order but was charged $479? Bait and switch!

We sold out of the earlier one and put this model up in it's place. Sorry for the confusion.

You can cancel the order in the first 15 minutes. There's a link to instructions in my link.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

djames42

quality posts: 9 Private Messages djames42

How come these things never come with S-Video inputs anymore? I still have a Laserdisc player and a bunch of media that will likely not ever come out on anything newer and it supports composite and s-video only (no component). This thing may upconvert, but surely it would do a better job with a higher-quality signal to start with, wouldn't it?

bgbbmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgbbmm

[MOD: That one done sold out. We put this up to replace it. Sorry for the confusion.]

I remember the old days when an item sold out, then that was it for the day. Although probably not the best business model, it was definitely less confusing.

thebignoob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebignoob
chaddy7us wrote:Can anyone tell me if this receiver has the ability to output a different video source than audio at the same time (playing the audio on the main speakers)? For example, I like to play madden on my PS3 and listen to music or sports talk instead of the sounds from the game.

I just bought a Sony str-dn1040 and sadly I'm not able to do this unless I plug the PS3 directly into the tv each time I want to do that. I bought the Sony at a decent price ($425 for an open box) but no warranty of course. I have a short time to return it and may consider if this receiver gives me the ability.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the better receiver between the two? I'm having a tough time with which is better. The Sony has AirPlay which is nice, but Bluetooth from an iPhone really isn't much difference.

Thanks all!

Yes, you can.

chaddy7us

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaddy7us
thebignoob wrote:Yes, you can.

Thanks. I knew you could with different zones but I wanted to be able to use the main speakers for that. I believe there's limitations as to the sources for the separate zones as well (only analog or Bluetooth and similar sources).

ianivey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianivey

I purchased a TX-NR709 a couple years ago. Worked great until six weeks ago, when it experienced what I now know is a common problem: no sound, no networking. The boards on the 709 units just burn out.

The tech at the warranty repair center says he believes Onkyo finally identified the source of the problem after several model years' worth of units shipped, and I believe they had fixed it by the time they made this 727.

However, I'll tell you about my warranty experience, in case this sort of thing influences your purchasing decision.

The night the sound cut out, I researched the issue and found thread after thread about it on Onkyo's support forum. I called and the rep authorized an out-of-warranty repair. The forum mod named a specific agent to talk to for faster service on this specific issue. I contacted him (Jose) and he told me he issued an authorization to the repair center nearest me (40 minute drive).

I took the unit to the center, and Jimmy -- the tech there -- said he had no authorization from Onkyo for me. He looked at me with sad eyes, and said, "They do this all the time. I had one guy stand here for two hours talking with them and refusing to hang up until they finally sent me the authorization by email. You just have to keep hounding them."

So I sent an email while I was talking to Jimmy. Within a few minutes, Jose emailed back and promised to send the authorization code within three hours. I replied and said I had left the unit there for repair, and would rely on his promise.

Two days later, I asked for confirmation that the authorization (Onkyo calls it an "ewan," which is probably something like extended warranty authorization number or some such thing) had actually been transmitted and received.

After another two days of silence, Jose emailed me, and only me, that the ewan had been transmitted to the service center.

Another week later, and I ask Jimmy at the service center to confirm that he had the ewan and was working on the repair. He replied that day that no ewan ever arrived.

I said a few bad words to myself. Then I emailed everyone and demanded that Onkyo send the ewan to everyone, so we could all see it. Jose finally sent it that night.

I asked Jimmy how long it should take. He said two weeks -- some time to get the shipment from Onkyo and a few days to do the work. That was January 17. As of Feb. 4, Jimmy said the repair module still hadn't arrived. It's now Feb 10; no word yet.

I'm unimpressed with Onkyo's quality control lately, and am frustrated by the length of time it is taking Onkyo to ship a simple repair module board.

But I'm far more irritated about a lead service center rep lying repeatedly about sending and having sent an authorization code.

I've used Onkyo products since the early '90s. Always liked them. Won't be buying another one or recommending them to friends.

ianivey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianivey
robschmahl wrote:Anyone know if this receiver passes through ALL HDMI? Or is it just assignable to one source?

I like to watch movies and most sources in surround sound. But the wife doesn't and it'd be nice to have her just turn on the sources (media PC, wiiU, Blu ray) and not have to have all the speakers going. Eh?

Not sure I quite understand your question, but the 709 will pass through HDMI sound to my TV speakers from any source, and I'm sure this unit will do the same. If that's not what you were asking, clarify?

bluemaple

djames42 wrote:How come these things never come with S-Video inputs anymore? I still have a Laserdisc player and a bunch of media that will likely not ever come out on anything newer and it supports composite and s-video only (no component). This thing may upconvert, but surely it would do a better job with a higher-quality signal to start with, wouldn't it?

@djames42, I as well feel that pain and have a stack of still-functioning S-video gear + expensive cables sitting in a corner in the basement. Standards move forward even if the old gear won't die.

BTW, Component connections came after S-video so S-video is even older.

barneco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barneco
ianivey wrote:Not sure I quite understand your question, but the 709 will pass through HDMI sound to my TV speakers from any source, and I'm sure this unit will do the same. If that's not what you were asking, clarify?

Original question seems to be gone, but product desc says:

Hybrid Standby Power-Saving Mode
HDMI passthrough and network connectivity are maintained while the receiver is powered down. This facilitates use of your TV and other devices without turning on the receiver.

Good question tho - in the past this was rarely advertised and I've been bitten.

holeinuno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages holeinuno

The user manual for this receiver says that speakers connected to the powered Zone 2 will only output sound from an analog source. Does that mean that any source connected to HDMI inputs cannot be listened to on Zone 2 speakers? I thought that every source is digital today, including Sat/Cbl box, Bluray player, Roku, and on and on.

mikes123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikes123
holeinuno wrote:Does that mean that any source connected to HDMI inputs cannot be listened to on Zone 2 speakers?

It means that any source connected ONLY to HDMI can't go to zone 2. Most sources can put out analog audio in addition to HDMI, so just connect both for the sources you might want to play in the second zone.

onkyousa

quality posts: 30 Private Messages onkyousa
mdrcoast wrote:I own the Onkyo TX-SR506 receiver and been very happy (Bought it when Circuit City was closing so it is an older model). I have had no issues which is why I can't buy this one as it is tough to tell my wife we need a new one, when the one we have sounds so good.

Anyway, my 2 cents, I have had zero issues and it sounds great.

Hello mdrcoast; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we'd like to thank you and recognize your patronage with our products. We also thank you for your post and your choice in Onkyo again.

onkyousa

phillythekid wrote:Not sure what I'm missing here Mr Woot!!! The original offer was NR-626 at 279.00! Repeat, 279. What's going on? Changed the model (yes, overall better, but not looking to drop the x-tra 2 bills.) Changed midstream to the NR-727 to 479? Not a fair Woot guys. WHATS THE DEAL?

GRANTED, a refurb of this on the Onkyo site is $779, so still 300 less here. The -626 refurb is 399 on there, however you can add a 2 year extended warranty there for $40. Choices choices!

Hello phillythekid; this is Onkyo USA and we thank you for adding some insight for other followers on making a great decision to owning our latest receiver. Thank you for adding some knowledge for others to take advantage of and always know we also provide 24 hour Product Support to assist with questions or concerns (800) 229-1687, option # 3. Again phillythekid, thank you for your choice in Onkyo.

onkyousa

thebignoob wrote:Because DLNA is so hard to setup...

I'm able to beam FLAC files from my Mac to my Onkyo NR-TX727 that i got for the same price about two weeks ago, no problem. If you really need airplay support, why not just get an AppleTV or setup XBMC, or a variety of other solutions.

Anyways, that said, this is an amazing receiver for the price, really great for those out there that want to future proof for 4K.

Hello thebignoob, don't worry we were all bignoobs too LOL. This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would also like to thank you for your feedback and information provided. This should really aid other Mac and Apple product owners to their dilemma of how to wirelessly stream audio from their Apple products to the receiver. Personally- I use Twonky and Vuze- but there are some other great 3rd party DLNA software.

BigNoob- we thank you again for your choice in Onkyo and we are also there to support our customers with questions and issues.

onkyousa

guswalken wrote:Man, I was thinking about the 626.I just wanted to sleep on it. I actually think the 727 has to much for my needs and 200 dollars more, ouch. I do like the fact that both of these guys have phono and a 1 year warranty. What happened to just selling out of something woot? I have a feeling the 626 will be back. Maybe, I'll score one then.

Hello guswalken; Onkyo USA and its Product Support department thanks you for your post and honest opinion on our receivers. If and when the NR 626 becomes available again- we hope to read a great commentary as well. Thank you again for your choice in Onkyo.

onkyousa

chaddy7us wrote:Thanks. I knew you could with different zones but I wanted to be able to use the main speakers for that. I believe there's limitations as to the sources for the separate zones as well (only analog or Bluetooth and similar sources).

Hello chaddy7us; this is Onkyo USA's Product Support department and would like to answer the following question you posed. ZONE 2 on Onkyo AV receivers are functional to play the same source or different audio source from the supported connection types (RCA Analog, USB, and Network Radio, and terrestrial radio as well). ZONE 2 can also be played independently from the MAIN ZONE and even if the receiver is OFF for the MAIN listening area as well. I have provided an old YouTube tutorial from Onkyo about the use of ZONE 2 as well for your review:

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com. Thank you again for your strong interest in Onkyo.

onkyousa

ianivey wrote:I purchased a TX-NR709 a couple years ago. Worked great until six weeks ago, when it experienced what I now know is a common problem: no sound, no networking. The boards on the 709 units just burn out.

The tech at the warranty repair center says he believes Onkyo finally identified the source of the problem after several model years' worth of units shipped, and I believe they had fixed it by the time they made this 727.

However, I'll tell you about my warranty experience, in case this sort of thing influences your purchasing decision.

The night the sound cut out, I researched the issue and found thread after thread about it on Onkyo's support forum. I called and the rep authorized an out-of-warranty repair. The forum mod named a specific agent to talk to for faster service on this specific issue. I contacted him (Jose) and he told me he issued an authorization to the repair center nearest me (40 minute drive).

I took the unit to the center, and Jimmy -- the tech there -- said he had no authorization from Onkyo for me. He looked at me with sad eyes, and said, "They do this all the time. I had one guy stand here for two hours talking with them and refusing to hang up until they finally sent me the authorization by email. You just have to keep hounding them."

So I sent an email while I was talking to Jimmy. Within a few minutes, Jose emailed back and promised to send the authorization code within three hours. I replied and said I had left the unit there for repair, and would rely on his promise.

Two days later, I asked for confirmation that the authorization (Onkyo calls it an "ewan," which is probably something like extended warranty authorization number or some such thing) had actually been transmitted and received.

After another two days of silence, Jose emailed me, and only me, that the ewan had been transmitted to the service center.

Another week later, and I ask Jimmy at the service center to confirm that he had the ewan and was working on the repair. He replied that day that no ewan ever arrived.

I said a few bad words to myself. Then I emailed everyone and demanded that Onkyo send the ewan to everyone, so we could all see it. Jose finally sent it that night.

I asked Jimmy how long it should take. He said two weeks -- some time to get the shipment from Onkyo and a few days to do the work. That was January 17. As of Feb. 4, Jimmy said the repair module still hadn't arrived. It's now Feb 10; no word yet.

I'm unimpressed with Onkyo's quality control lately, and am frustrated by the length of time it is taking Onkyo to ship a simple repair module board.

But I'm far more irritated about a lead service center rep lying repeatedly about sending and having sent an authorization code.

I've used Onkyo products since the early '90s. Always liked them. Won't be buying another one or recommending them to friends.

Hello ianivey; this is Onkyo USA's Product Support and I would like to further look into this- as Jose always bcc all emails to customers and service centers and he also has read receipt confirmation when emails are sent to the service center. This serves for the purposes like this one. We would like to verify this issue actually occurred and also follow up with the service center.

To agree with you; I would like to note that owners of the new TX-NR 727 will not experience the same issues many have depicted with there older units. We believe to have solved the issue and will let the products speak for themselves.