WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When was the last time you went to church?
  • 5.7% - Today 203
  • 2.9% - Yesterday 102
  • 20.5% - Last week 732
  • 5.1% - Last month 182
  • 9.4% - Last year 335
  • 4.1% - Last never 146
  • 11.1% - Last wedding 398
  • 16.9% - Last funeral 605
  • 5.5% - None ya business, Woot 197
  • 17.6% - I can't remember 628
  • 1.3% - Some other time (comments, please) 46
3574 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ryan22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryan22

...Sunday wasn't an option? ...duh Woot, come on.

manhandsha

quality posts: 40 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

I've been in churches in the last several years for weddings. As I was raised Catholic, I haven't been to mass in almost 6 yrs. I only remember because it was my mom's wedding and it was a full mass. Ugh.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

dragonwoot1983

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonwoot1983

When was the last time I went to church? When I was young, ignorant, and forced to.

waterresistant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waterresistant

I'm sitting in a church right now as I answer this poll.

Topso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Topso

Church is healthy and great fellowship. Its amazing how many people are so threatened by it. lol

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
Topso wrote:Church is healthy and great fellowship. Its amazing how many people are so threatened by it. lol

It's not the fellowship that is threatening, it's how so many grown-ass adults can be convinced to believe something there is no evidence to support.
It'd be perfectly cool if people just liked getting together to hang out and sing some tunes on Sunday then maybe going out and helping people in need. All the talk about the man in the sky and the burning for eternity if you don't do as he says makes it weird.

ehabryg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehabryg

Well, church is the place that makes me feel that I am an eternal creature, not just an intelligent animal who will die in a few days/months/years.

Church gives me the answers I am looking for, instead of just assumptions and theories that are questionable.

Church is the only place that frees me from enslavement to sins and thus making me eternally and internally happy.

danstas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danstas

I guess I am just lucky in Lancaster PA because we have soooo many churches with services that actually make a difference in our lives. They help us understand the connection between the Bible and our daily lives and how God wants us to live.

hot72chev

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hot72chev

Oh, Woot, what a can of worms you have opened today. Might as well add my two cents.

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

brok3n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brok3n

LOL. Church.

too many woots to list in this limited area.

csc03c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csc03c

bsmith1...the proof is all around you, friend. we like getting together and singing...and we like going out and helping people...and we do it because HE loved us so much that he sent HIS son to die so we wouldn't have to. quit looking so hard - it's all around you.

bsmith1 wrote:It's not the fellowship that is threatening, it's how so many grown-ass adults can be convinced to believe something there is no evidence to support.
It'd be perfectly cool if people just liked getting together to hang out and sing some tunes on Sunday then maybe going out and helping people in need. All the talk about the man in the sky and the burning for eternity if you don't do as he says makes it weird.

mrchris10804

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrchris10804
csc03c wrote:bsmith1...the proof is all around you, friend. we like getting together and singing...and we like going out and helping people...and we do it because HE loved us so much that he sent HIS son to die so we wouldn't have to. quit looking so hard - it's all around you.

Amen csc03c. I'm actually surprised how many grown people believe in evolution. It takes a heck of a lot of faith to believe in evolution.

worlebird

quality posts: 3 Private Messages worlebird
ehabryg wrote:Well, church is the place that makes me feel that I am an eternal creature, not just an intelligent animal who will die in a few days/months/years.

Church gives me the answers I am looking for, instead of just assumptions and theories that are questionable.

Church is the only place that frees me from enslavement to sins and thus making me eternally and internally happy.

Huh. I AM an intelligent animal who will die in a few years. It seems weird to want to pretend otherwise.

I'd rather have the correct answers than the answers I'm looking for. Also, It's ok if the answer is "I don't know".

And finally, I only felt enslaved to sins after church convinced me there was such a thing to which I could be enslaved. In retrospect, it seems like inventing a problem so that you can offer the solution.

atherea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atherea

A funeral, several years ago. I'm not Christian.

xozibl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xozibl

We normally don't do church, but when some psycho shot up a U.U. congregation in Knoxville Tennessee in 2008, we attended a service at the local congregation one Sunday, in support.

My voice lessons are usually at a church, but I don't count that

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
mrchris10804 wrote:Amen csc03c. I'm actually surprised how many grown people believe in evolution. It takes a heck of a lot of faith to believe in evolution.

No, it takes no faith, that is the whole point, in science nothing is taken on faith only what can be demostrated, tested and verified.

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz

Funeral eight years ago for a thirteen year old who died of brain cancer. He was a really good kid.

RKett wrote:No, it takes no faith, that is the whole point, in science nothing is taken on faith only what can be demostrated, tested and verified.

Very well put, RKett. Same for gravity, electromagnetism, germ theory, etc.

mrchris10804

RKett wrote:No, it takes no faith, that is the whole point, in science nothing is taken on faith only what can be demostrated, tested and verified.

It takes a TON of faith to believe in the theory of evolution! So many holes it just doesn't hold water. The list of problems is extraordinary . The biggest problem I usually think of is why it's so hard to find in-between species fossils. Darwin agrees in his book Origin of Species:

"Why, if species have descended from other species by insensibly fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms. -Charles Darwin”.

Darwin is also right on this point:

“To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. -Charles Darwin”

morbidcorpse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages morbidcorpse

Thank you, God, for giving me the ability to choose, then threatening to punish me if I don't choose you.

zufhaus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zufhaus
mrchris10804 wrote:It takes a TON of faith to believe in the theory of evolution! So many holes it just doesn't hold water. The list of problems is extraordinary . The biggest problem I usually think of is why it's so hard to find in-between species fossils. Darwin agrees in his book Origin of Species:

"Why, if species have descended from other species by insensibly fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms. -Charles Darwin”.

“To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. -Charles Darwin”

actually, i find it pretty staggering we have any at all, considering the hundreds of millions of years we're talking about here. we'd all be drowning in fossils if examples of EVERY "transitional form" were neatly preserved in the fossil record, just laying in places modern humans are likely to go looking for them, or where they are easily stumbled upon.

also not all fossils are perfectly preserved whole skeletons just waiting to be identified. after eons of weather and erosion and decay and wholesale excavation by less than scrupulous early bone hunters, it's amazing we have anything left at all.

mrchris10804

zufhaus wrote:actually, i find it pretty staggering we have any at all, considering the hundreds of millions of years we're talking about here. we'd all be drowning in fossils if examples of EVERY "transitional form" were neatly preserved in the fossil record, just laying in places modern humans are likely to go looking for them, or where they are easily stumbled upon.

also not all fossils are perfectly preserved whole skeletons just waiting to be identified. after eons of weather and erosion and decay and wholesale excavation by less than scrupulous early bone hunters, it's amazing we have anything left at all.

You're right! It is amazing that we have anything left at all. Truly marvelous. It's also amazing the amount of what is left. There are millions of fossils available. Heck, I can go out to the Salt Flats here in Utah and go find a few for myself in an afternoon. Of course most of those are small but our record of fossils is truly vast. It is amazing that what we find are "completed" kinds. We don't see examples of animals that are transitioning from one kind to another. We can see changes within kinds, for example we see transitional species, but we NEVER see fossils in-between kinds.

If evolution were fact, we would actually have a hard time finding a "completed kind" because all we'd have would be transitions!

It is pretty staggering. Let's hear from Darwin again shall we?

"If numerous species, belonging to the same genera or families, have really started into life all at once, the fact would be fatal to the theory to descent with slow modification though natural selection. -Charles Darwin"

According to this quote from Darwin, the Cambrian Explosion disproves the current model of evolution.

Jodi1964

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jodi1964

First off, so she doesn't get bombarded with angry posts, this comment is being posted by the user's spouse who also happens to be a United Methodist minister.

One comment I really need to address came from worlebird ... you are not enslaved by your sin. When you believe in Christ, while your sin does not magically go away, you appear sinless in the eyes of God because of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross to pay for those sins.

To honestly answer the question, my wife and I attend church every day. To quote Detrich Bonehoeffer: “Where a people prays, there is the church; and where the church is; there is never loneliness.” Therefore, going to church does not necessarily mean going to a specific place or building. It means spending time with God.

As for those who believe in evolution or even nothing at all, by all rights, that is fine. It comes with living in a free society. As long as you have been informed and you have made a personal choice as to which path you may follow, then the person(s) who tried to sway you to the Christian religion or any religion have done their job. If I have failed to offer a life in Christ, then I am guilty of not fulfilling my commission as a Christian.

I guess the band, Rush, got it right. You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice; If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice; You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill; I will choose the path that's clear; I will choose free will.

jimbonsf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimbonsf

I do not GO to "church". The last time I participated in a ritual was at the Sabbat of Imbolc/Brighid about 2 weeks ago. My "church" is anywhere in nature that my fellow pagans and I create a ritual of celebration!

gingertalls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingertalls
morbidcorpse wrote:Thank you, God, for giving me the ability to choose, then threatening to punish me if I don't choose you.

It would be easier to choose if we didn't have radical Christians trying to cram religion down our throats. Ick!

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

ryan22 wrote:...Sunday wasn't an option? ...duh Woot, come on.

There was a Sunday last week, right?

outergeorge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outergeorge
gingertalls wrote:It would be easier to choose if we didn't have radical Christians trying to cram religion down our throats. Ick!

I agree that it would be easier to choose without it getting crammed down your throat. Think about it though; if I really believe what I say I do as a Christian; then it would be hypocritical of me not to share at every reasonable opportunity. That being said, it should always be in love, and not out of judgement.

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus
mrchris10804 wrote:You're right! It is amazing that we have anything left at all. Truly marvelous. It's also amazing the amount of what is left. There are millions of fossils available. Heck, I can go out to the Salt Flats here in Utah and go find a few for myself in an afternoon. Of course most of those are small but our record of fossils is truly vast. It is amazing that what we find are "completed" kinds. We don't see examples of animals that are transitioning from one kind to another. We can see changes within kinds, for example we see transitional species, but we NEVER see fossils in-between kinds.

If evolution were fact, we would actually have a hard time finding a "completed kind" because all we'd have would be transitions!

"If numerous species, belonging to the same genera or families, have really started into life all at once, the fact would be fatal to the theory to descent with slow modification though natural selection. -Charles Darwin"

According to this quote from Darwin, the Cambrian Explosion disproves the current model of evolution.

All fossils are "the completed kind" because all animals are. A rhino didn't first form a thick bulky hide and later the skeleton to support the extra weight, it was an ongoing process. All animals(yes, humans are animals too)are "transitional" forms AND completed forms. Evolution is ongoing and unstoppable, whether you want to believe in it or not. Science try's to understand, religion already believes it knows. I could no more convince someone that "knows" the "truth", than to convince a bumblebee that it shouldn't be able to fly.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

manhandsha wrote:I've been in churches in the last several years for weddings. As I was raised Catholic, I haven't been to mass in almost 6 yrs. I only remember because it was my mom's wedding and it was a full mass. Ugh.

Watch out the next time you go. They changed some of the responses.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

mrchris10804

hosesplus wrote:All fossils are "the completed kind" because all animals are. A rhino didn't first form a thick bulky hide and later the skeleton to support the extra weight, it was an ongoing process. All animals(yes, humans are animals too)are "transitional" forms AND completed forms. Evolution is ongoing and unstoppable, whether you want to believe in it or not. Science try's to understand, religion already believes it knows. I could no more convince someone that "knows" the "truth", than to convince a bumblebee that it shouldn't be able to fly.

Good input. However you must admit that you could not have imagined I was talking about forms like a rhino having a form of only hide and then a form with a skeleton. That's silly! What I'm talking about it what Darwin was talking about:

“Why, if species have descended from other species by insensibly fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms. -Charles Darwin”

exvpto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exvpto

missles9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages missles9

I last went to church on Maundy Thursday. I'll go again this Maundy Thursday. That's my service.

mrchris10804

mrchris10804 wrote:It takes a TON of faith to believe in the theory of evolution! So many holes it just doesn't hold water. The list of problems is extraordinary . The biggest problem I usually think of is why it's so hard to find in-between species fossils. Darwin agrees in his book Origin of Species:

disciple15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disciple15

It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.

bobothebear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobothebear

If you need evidence of evolution, look no farther than yourself and your family members. Humans no longer need the extra set of molars (commonly referred to as wisdom teeth), as we no longer need to grind our food down as our ancestors did. More and more humans are being born without wisdom teeth. I and my younger daughter do not have them; my husband and my older daughter did. In a thousand years or so, almost no humans will have wisdom teeth. It's evolution in action.

damnvanian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages damnvanian
mrchris10804 wrote:You're right! It is amazing that we have anything left at all. Truly marvelous. It's also amazing the amount of what is left. There are millions of fossils available. Heck, I can go out to the Salt Flats here in Utah and go find a few for myself in an afternoon. Of course most of those are small but our record of fossils is truly vast. It is amazing that what we find are "completed" kinds. We don't see examples of animals that are transitioning from one kind to another. We can see changes within kinds, for example we see transitional species, but we NEVER see fossils in-between kinds.

Actually, we DO have massive amount of transitional fossils. The most famous is the Tiktalik Rosae. It's essentially a fish with legs, and we found it exactly where we predicted it would be through what we know about evolution. Look at whale evolution as well, each step is well documented, and we see a gradual evolution into modern forms.

What makes evolution so special is that it is incredibly easy to disprove, all you need to do is find a fossil of a modern animal in a layer where evolution says there couldn't be, and yet no one can do it. Furthermore, when Genetics were first being explored, it very easily could have disproved evolution, and yet studying genes and genomes has given us even more concrete evidence FOR evolution.

Finally, please look in to the Cambrian Explosion. It's not what you think it is.

MountainWestBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MountainWestBob
brok3n wrote:LOL. Church.

Jesus' appearance: OK with the Semitic dude with the short, neatly trimmed beard and the startlingly white and clean garment. But, back then, none of those features would have been possible (except, maybe, for the highest level of priests and the Roman royalty). Remember: the "fixation" on washing of feat wasn't to remove just dust... the roads, streets and paths were covered in dung and rotting garbage, there were no very effective soap products, and nothing like a modern razor. But, otherwise, the skin color could be pretty accurate.

MountainWestBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MountainWestBob

Used to be religious, but began to study the origin of the Biblical stories, the origin of "Sin," the development of the books of the newer Testament and so on. Upshot: no longer religious.

JJWOLFE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJWOLFE

Atheist and happy!

CapnCrunk563

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CapnCrunk563

phasers on you woot for bringing in religion. You knew it would end up in um... disagreement, disagreement, and what's the other thing... oh yea. disagreement.