WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you pay for cable?
  • 5% - No, I don't watch TV at all. 171
  • 8.8% - Nope. I've broken free from the shackles of overpriced television entertainment! 304
  • 39.4% - Yes. I JUST CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT GET OFF MY BACK ALREADY. 1359
  • 32.9% - I pay for Hulu and/or Netflix and/or Amazon Prime and/or something else but that's it. 1136
  • 3.6% - Cable just sorta shows up for free and I don't ask questions. 125
  • 6.9% - I'd tell you how I watch TV shows, but I don't want to incriminate myself. 237
  • 3.4% - Something else (comments, please) 119
3451 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

shubhox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shubhox

Satellite/Dish

musicmatron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages musicmatron

Work for Cable company....get All Cable FREE. And Tivo for $15 a month. Perks!

ZLoth

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ZLoth

It's part of the rental agreement that I pay for cable TV (really DirecTV)

lichme

quality posts: 2772 Private Messages lichme
musicmatron wrote:Work for Cable company....get All Cable FREE. And Tivo for $15 a month. Perks!

Me too, I just got found a whole house install kit on my porch like 30 minutes ago (glad I checked the mail before bed)

Also just bumped my internet to 105Mbps.

NavyStore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages NavyStore

After dealing with the Id10ts at Comcrap (now called Xfaility) I'll never use cable again!

Switched to Dish (better picture quality and works in my RV when I travel) and have a 20M DSL connection (better than the 10M that cable gave me!!) since I'm on a 1-to-1 network, not on a shared network like the cable company.

Did I mention how much I hate cable? Well, since you asked, yes - I do hate the cable companies!

Atharaenea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Atharaenea

My husband works for the cable company, so we get all the movie channels, HD, everything else, and internet for $8/month.

If he didn't, we wouldn't have cable at all and probably just get DSL because it's cheaper.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I have been debating over the last few days about whether I really do need cable or not. Other than a few shows, which I am sure I can find online, I do not think I do. I am paying well over 200 a month between cable, internet and phone and I think it is time to just cut the cord. I did look into Direct TV and I can get the same TV package for quite a bit cheaper, I would just have an ugly dish on my Balcony.

ardubu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ardubu

Dish and Netflix.
Can't stand cable.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

clairedeluna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clairedeluna

Directv - way cheaper and better than the local cable company

phredt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phredt

Amazon Prime 4 Life

Maybe i should get that on a tattoo.

belder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages belder

I do not pay for cable and haven't in a while. It was easier for Jean-Luc Picard to leave the BORG, but I followed DirecTV's instructions to the letter and now I'm using three ROKU's and an off air antenna. I already had a Philips DVD/HDD recorder for delaying off air content. $16 for Netflix and Hulu Plus is my monthy cost unless I order extra content like "Doctor Who" from Amazon.

Bloodshedder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bloodshedder

Where is the "I only pay for it because not having it isn't any cheaper when I'm already paying for Internet access" option?

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed

Direct TV

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather

I used to work for the cable company and got it for free. When I stopped working there they were supposed to disconnect it. They never did. So free cable for me.

FreePlayPSP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
Bloodshedder wrote:Where is the "I only pay for it because not having it isn't any cheaper when I'm already paying for Internet access" option?

Exactly my situation. If I dropped cable and just had Verizon's internet package, I'd be paying about $25 more per month. Insanity.

Maxify55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maxify55

Gave away ALL our TV's 10 years ago.

Free to put what I want into my mind.

Instead of only that which someone else chooses for me through their filters.

Thank You Very Much but I'll find the truth all by myself.

THAT'S the definition of freedom!

femonky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages femonky

Google Fiber!!!!!!

mirv22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mirv22
Bloodshedder wrote:Where is the "I only pay for it because not having it isn't any cheaper when I'm already paying for Internet access" option?

I'm in this camp...

smg560

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smg560

Verizon FIOS

Steven M. Geisler

proudpittsburgher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages proudpittsburgher

So many services out there to save you money, if you are willing to do some front-end research and change your habits a bit. Will save 70 bucks a month, and only add about 15 a month for a few services like netflix and hulu, which should about cover any tv viewing save for the premium channels. And you get past seasons on netflix of those shows. For Sports, things like mlb.tv, nhl center ice, etc may cost about a hundred bucks each, but it is a one time fee and thats it. You will save if you cut the cord.

Previous Woots:
6/28/2007 - Delphi Skyfi2 XM Receiver with Boombox and Car Kit
12/6/07 - Micro Remote Control Helicopter

Snarf101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snarf101

I work for a cable company so free cable (w/ HBO) and 50 MB/s internet for meeeee!!

teixeirarosa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teixeirarosa

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where I have many choices available. Yet I went the media player with plugins route. The Mohu leaf antenna brings in clear network channels. Bought a modem so I wouldn't have to rent it for $7/month. Slashed my bill in half and couldn't be happier.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain
Maxify55 wrote:Gave away ALL our TV's 10 years ago.

Try throwing away your computer, as well. Unless you trust the information you find on the internet.

terrifictigger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terrifictigger

We use Direct TV.

dkm1new

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkm1new

Oh, BARF! Loving the bouquet of our own gaseous emissions a little too much this morning, are we?

dreemstealer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreemstealer

Cable with HBO/Cinemax, plus Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Ugh so much money.

kbdemers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbdemers

I work for the evil over-lords and they throw free cable my way....

DoDred

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DoDred

Dish - 35 years

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

DirecTV

Cable internet.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

.....I AM CONTROLLED BY TV.......
....THEY HAVE SUCKED MY BRAINS DRY..............
.........NEED TO TURN TV ON TO KNOW WHAT TO THINK.........
...BZZZZZZZ....INFORMATION....BZZZ..OVERLOAD........
....WARNING!..WARNING!......

wizwor

quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor

And you chose this? LOL.

mishmash5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mishmash5

I use Dish, Prime, and Netflix. TV is my best friend; I'll take it where ever I can get it.

GregVale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GregVale

DirecTv

99redtj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 99redtj

If it wasn't for Comcast alomst complete control over the airing of my local sports teams I'd pay for only Netflix/Hulu type services.

Accelerator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Accelerator

Wow! Based on this survey, over 20% of Americans work, or worked, for the cable companies. 6 of 28 posts, as of this post, work for the cable company and get, or got, their cable for free.
Now I understand why my cable bill is so high.
The lesson I have learned is: if you want to watch cable TV, go to work for the cable company. :-)
Oh, and also, give away your TV's and perform sock puppet theater every night. I'm working on a sock version of a recap of yesterday's womens hockey game right now. All my socks have holes in them! The truth will set you free!

wizwor

I love TV. We have eight of them. It's been about five years since I severed ties with Comcast. We have an antenna in the attic that pulls in 37 unique channels. We supplement that with Netflix and have PlayOn/PlayLater/Plex server running on my everyday desktop computer. I have a library of around 400 BD/DVD movies including box sets of favorite television series. We have four Simple DVRs recording current favorite programming. We have DTVPal DVRs on five sets and Rokus on six as well as a PS3, an Xbox, and a Wii.

My bill dropped from $220/month to $53/month. Even after paying for all the stuff I listed, I have saved enough to take the family to Disney.

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

I keep suggesting to my wife to drop cable (DirecTV).

We have Netflix, and AmazonPrime, I'd probably add Hulu+ if we dropped cable. But she insists on keeping it.

Before we moved in together I had gone 3+ years with only broadcast TV and Netflix. It really is great after you adjust. Only takes about a month.

wizwor

elsupreme wrote:I keep suggesting to my wife to drop cable (DirecTV).

We have Netflix, and AmazonPrime, I'd probably add Hulu+ if we dropped cable. But she insists on keeping it.

Before we moved in together I had gone 3+ years with only broadcast TV and Netflix. It really is great after you adjust. Only takes about a month.

Unless you are MLB/NBA/NHL fan, of course.

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

Dropped TV a while back. Hulu+, Netflix and a Plex server via Roku's. Over the air for school closings etc. and we are fine.