zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Lifesmart Infrared Fireplace 1,800 sq ft Heater
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Feb 26 to Monday, Mar 03) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

cnwinton

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cnwinton

It's 1500 Watts. That means it doesn't put out any more heat than a 1500 Watt hair dryer, and good luck with using one of those to heat a cold room. It might make a nice piece of furniture, and might add a few degrees to a well-insulated room, but that's about it.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn how this works and let's compare infrared heaters to ceramic heaters

lauriewny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lauriewny

Sounded decent until I saw how big it is...this thing is pretty tiny to be termed a 'fireplace' 30×25? Yikes. Heater indeed. O_o

briannanoob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages briannanoob

Bought one for my mom last Christmas. She loves it. The heat warms the body and the glowing flames warm the soul. It almost seems as if the room is warmer just because it's glowing, She likes to turn the lights off, turn on some soft music, and let this do its thing. I think she'll miss it during the summer.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

I'd just like to tell you all that it was 80 degrees here today and the low is 50 so I laugh at the thought of needing this nifty fireplace.

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk

I own this unit. Bought it last winter and it is still going strong. Here is a review I posted at another site....

-Solid wood construction, not made of particle, chip, or laminate. Other more expensive brands do not use solid wood with a resulting cheap look or misaligned.
-Full function remote is a plus whereas other brands only provide on/off and nothing else. Everything on the main control panel is on the remote.
-1000/1500 wattage selection is very useful when you are not able to avoid sharing an outlet or want to be able to choose between warm or hot air output..
-One other feature this has that other units do not have is a digital thermostat.
-Top stays cool enough you can place items on top without fear of damaging them.
-It has a convenient remote storage under the left top flip out panel to avoid losing it.

I did a lot of searching for the best electric fireplace and this was the only brand I could find that included both wattage control and a thermostat in the same unit. Others make you choose between the two features. For the life of me I cannot understand the point of a space heater without a thermostat.

Only a few minor issues.

-The simulated flame isn't that realistic looking, but it is very pleasant to look at. That said, every brand is different in their approach to this and none are perfect.
-It would be nice if the display would turn off after a period of inactivity. Blocking the light from the display would also block the remote sensor.
-The thermostat isn't accurate enough to go exactly by the temp displayed. Mine was off by about 2-3 degrees. This is easy enough to compensate for and not that big a deal.

davetheknight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davetheknight

Although this is listed a 1800 sq ft, a safe estimate would be that this heater will be effective in a small room up to ~150sq ft.

An easy way to estimate a heater's ability is to divide the wattage by 10. In this example 1500/10=150.

The calculation can be used to estimate the capacity of the heater you need for your room - sq ft * 10 = wattage needed.

A well insulated/airtight room will increase the effective area this heater can service, likewise poor insulation and drafty construction will decrease its ability to heat the space.

sdc100

quality posts: 508 Private Messages sdc100
cnwinton wrote:It's 1500 Watts. That means it doesn't put out any more heat than a 1500 Watt hair dryer, and good luck with using one of those to heat a cold room. It might make a nice piece of furniture, and might add a few degrees to a well-insulated room, but that's about it.

That's misleading. The point to a space heater is not how much heat is generated around the elements, but how well the heat is circulated outside the unit. As such, you cannot compare a space heater with a hair dryer. The latter uses a centrifugal fan which excels at concentrating fast air into a small area. A space heater needs diffused airflow, not a concentrated one. And the air output is generally slow, working with natural air currents (i.e. warm air rises) to circulate heat around the room. So no, while the ELEMENTS of both devices may output the same heat, the heat output from the DEVICES themselves are very different. My Dyson heater also uses 1500 watts, but the incredible "bladeless" fan circulates air like mad, warming the room faster than any other heater I've used. Consumer Reports agreed that it warms the room quickly and uniformly. Try that with a hair dryer.

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk
davetheknight wrote:Although this is listed a 1800 sq ft, a safe estimate would be that this heater will be effective in a small room up to ~150sq ft.

I live in a very cold climate and it heats a 20x20 room with a vaulted ceiling quite well. That is 400 sq ft.

oeldeals

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oeldeals

A 1500w heater heating 1800sq Ft?? Insane hyperbole....

be realistic, you can probably take the edge off a good size room (if you're not in too cold a climate) ....

I fell for a similar line on an earlier woot... an ok heater, but the line of bs left me feeling a bit cheated

LOOK AT ME!

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
sdc100 wrote:That's misleading. The point to a space heater is not how much heat is generated around the elements, but how well the heat is circulated outside the unit. As such, you cannot compare a space heater with a hair dryer. The latter uses a centrifugal fan which excels at concentrating fast air into a small area. A space heater needs diffused airflow, not a concentrated one. And the air output is generally slow, working with natural air currents (i.e. warm air rises) to circulate heat around the room. So no, while the ELEMENTS of both devices may output the same heat, the heat output from the DEVICES themselves are very different. My Dyson heater also uses 1500 watts, but the incredible "bladeless" fan circulates air like mad, warming the room faster than any other heater I've used. Consumer Reports agreed that it warms the room quickly and uniformly. Try that with a hair dryer.

In a small room, a hair dryer and this unit would heat the room at around the same rate. With a large room with a ceiling fan to circulate air flow also a hair dryer and this unit would heat the room at around the same rate.

Or mount a hair dryer in the air (reliably, safely) and then have a fan on a low speed blow air across it. The heat from the hair dryer will move about the room.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy

My impression is there are several shills posting. The "greatest thing since sliced bread in spite of the facts" kind of posts touting the wonders of the product...from ordinary buyers ?

yeah, right.

1500 watts is 1500 watts. good for a 10 ft x 15 ft room.

a hair dryer is not as aesthetically pleasing but is a fancy unit worth $150 ?
i'll turn on the hair dryer instead.

[MOD: I see no signs of shills.]

ithinkblue

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ithinkblue
danwat1234 wrote:In a small room, a hair dryer and this unit would heat the room at around the same rate. With a large room with a ceiling fan to circulate air flow also a hair dryer and this unit would heat the room at around the same rate.

Or mount a hair dryer in the air (reliably, safely) and then have a fan on a low speed blow air across it. The heat from the hair dryer will move about the room.

Now why in the world would I want to do that?

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956
ithinkblue wrote:Now why in the world would I want to do that?

Precisely, sounds like some folks don't have dollars or sense.

Woothead05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Woothead05

Yes, 1500 watts is all a room heater can provide from a wall outlet . . . safely. Doubtful it will heat 1,800 sq. feet unless the room is only 26" high. . big enough to get the fireplace in.
Maybe it's for use in "Wonderland" when Alice is small!
I would pay $49 tops just as a nice looking room heater.

tetsu0sh0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tetsu0sh0

Infrared heaters do not act the same as conventional 'convection' heaters.
Infrared energy is only absorbed by organic material. This heater radiates energy outwards and your body will absorb it. You will be able to feel the heat from much farther away - that's why they're saying it can heat up to 1,500sqft.

In essence - It heats surfaces and not air.

Regular fire warms by convection, this guy does not.

ronzo911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronzo911
tetsu0sh0 wrote:Infrared heaters do not act the same as conventional 'convection' heaters.
Infrared energy is only absorbed by organic material. This heater radiates energy outwards and your body will absorb it. You will be able to feel the heat from much farther away - that's why they're saying it can heat up to 1,500sqft.

In essence - It heats surfaces and not air.

Regular fire warms by convection, this guy does not.

Ronzo911

ronzo911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronzo911
ronzo911 wrote:

So does anything else in 1500 square feet absorb this energy? 5100 btus is all you get.

Ronzo911

fluffyreeves

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fluffyreeves
cnwinton wrote:It's 1500 Watts. That means it doesn't put out any more heat than a 1500 Watt hair dryer, and good luck with using one of those to heat a cold room. It might make a nice piece of furniture, and might add a few degrees to a well-insulated room, but that's about it.

Not so I purchased this (for less) at Tuesday Morning at the beginning of the winter season. It cranks our entire ground floor with heat. We have two bedrooms, a rec room and a kitchenette down here. We have to turn it down at night because it's too hot.

fluffyreeves

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fluffyreeves
fluffyreeves wrote:Not so I purchased this (for less) at Tuesday Morning at the beginning of the winter season. It cranks our entire ground floor with heat. We have two bedrooms, a rec room and a kitchenette down here. We have to turn it down at night because it's too hot.

Forgot to add. We are in upstate NY, where it's been hovering between -10 and 30 for weeks.

inflationary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inflationary
sdc100 wrote:That's misleading. The point to a space heater is not how much heat is generated around the elements, but how well the heat is circulated outside the unit. As such, you cannot compare a space heater with a hair dryer. The latter uses a centrifugal fan which excels at concentrating fast air into a small area. A space heater needs diffused airflow, not a concentrated one. And the air output is generally slow, working with natural air currents (i.e. warm air rises) to circulate heat around the room. So no, while the ELEMENTS of both devices may output the same heat, the heat output from the DEVICES themselves are very different. My Dyson heater also uses 1500 watts, but the incredible "bladeless" fan circulates air like mad, warming the room faster than any other heater I've used. Consumer Reports agreed that it warms the room quickly and uniformly. Try that with a hair dryer.

Points well taken - You're both right of course. I actually favor this thing because it at least looks somewhat attractive in my favorite gauche sense and the IR heaters generally last longer than the cheaper ones. That said,
ALL electric heaters are of course infrared. And all have exactly the same thermal efficiency (near 100% for heat out/power in) but significant heat gets wasted in the 14 ga wires in the walls twixt breaker box and heater. I've actually measured that (easy to do) and the loss can easily be 10% for a long run. And all are 1500W 'cause that's safely below the threshold of a 15A circuit. SERIOUS electric heaters are wired to 230V double breakers and get more to where it's needed. Electric is the MOST expensive heat vs direct use of fossil fuels (natural gas, propane, wood, coal, oil) and face it - near all electric comes from those anyway...indirectly and inefficiently. In that sense these electric space heaters have the fattest "carbon footprints" around. Regardless - this heater looks like a good deal for small area "task heating." On most - 1st thing to fail is the blower... My background: designed such for a living especially solar concentrators. Last note - with heavy use the IR elements eventually burn out and near impossibly to replace. Consider this a throw-away that should last 5 years of moderate use.

wdsims63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdsims63

I know this sounds like a logical statement, and it seems to make sense, but it is not necessarily true. The power usage rating says nothing about the efficiency of the heating elements.
A hair dryer is very inefficient and uses simple resistance heating. Infrared and ceramic heaters use different technology and get much better efficiency.

Still, I doubt the 1800 sq ft number also. That's a pretty big space to heat with a plug-in electric heater.

I'm very tempted though, since every body around here has already sold all their 'space heaters' for the season and no one is ordering any more this year.

Exit82

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Exit82

can you tell me how loud it is with the fan on?

billthegunowner

quality posts: 20 Private Messages billthegunowner

Just to clarify, 1500 watts is 5118.2124495 BTU. If you wonder how much 1500 watts is, picture 30 50-watt bulbs burning in your house. No thanks, I'll stick to natural gas.

Bill

daaper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daaper
CharlesP2009 wrote:I'd just like to tell you all that it was 80 degrees here today and the low is 50 so I laugh at the thought of needing this nifty fireplace.

I hear ya. We had a high of 70 and low of 40...and I'm in Ohio! It was a warm one yesterday.

stopher2475

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stopher2475

I think the heater is mostly there as an add on to make the fire illusion more realistic. As far as that goes these are pretty decent. I'm considering it. They're pretty nice to look at. I just don't know if I want another "thing" in my house.

jdwdigital

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdwdigital
davetheknight wrote:Although this is listed a 1800 sq ft, a safe estimate would be that this heater will be effective in a small room up to ~150sq ft.

My guess is that they should say that it can heat up to 1800 Cubic Feet -- not Square Feet. That would mean a room ~225 Square Feet with an 8' ceiling.

djmack3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djmack3

Every space heater woot sells gets the same discussion remarks comparing them to a hair dryer or it only heats a very small room or a comparison of the different kinds of heat and which is better. All I know is that we purchased a Lifesmart Infrared box heater and it is great. We have a 20 by 20 3 season porch with high ceilings. At Christmas we entertained 32 people at our home and decided to use the space of the the 3 season porch. The temperature in the 3 season porch was 19 degrees. When the guests arrived 4 hours after running the heater in the room with the doors closed so no access to the homes furnace the temperature was 67 degrees. For the rest of the day we left the doors open to the rest of the home and the room was very comfortable with guests always using the space and sometimes even opening the sliders to let in fresh cool air. It would have been totally unacceptable to have a hair dryer hanging from the ceiling to make this happen and I am pretty sure the hair dryer would not have warmed up the room as efficiently.

DownloadJunkie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DownloadJunkie

Got one of these this Fall mainly for the fireplace decor. The cat hasn't moved away from it in months (literally, only for necessity) as he thinks it's warm, even without heat! Poor guy is going to miss it come Spring....

heliwife

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heliwife

I bought this exact one on Shop HQ in November for 189.00, and we love it.
We have an open concept home with one large room for the kitchen, living room and dining room separated by furniture arrangements. We have this fireplace in the living room area, and it really heats up our sitting area to the point where we actually have to turn it off after a few hours. In our set up it takes about 1/2 hr before we notice a difference in temperature.

We did learn that our electric bill went up significantly the first month because we kept it on all the time cause we liked how cozy it was. After that we got smart and now only use it while we are sitting and watching TV in the evenings, which only adds about $10-$15 a month.

There is a fan noise but it does not interfere with watching TV or anything, it's not any louder than having a fan on in the room.

heliwife

Exit82 wrote:can you tell me how loud it is with the fan on?

We have one, and it isn't any louder than having a cooling fan on in the summer.

heliwife

heliwife wrote:I bought this exact one on Shop HQ in November for 189.00, and we love it.
We have an open concept home with one large room for the kitchen, living room and dining room separated by furniture arrangements. We have this fireplace in the living room area, and it really heats up our sitting area to the point where we actually have to turn it off after a few hours. In our set up it takes about 1/2 hr before we notice a difference in temperature.

We did learn that our electric bill went up significantly the first month because we kept it on all the time cause we liked how cozy it was. After that we got smart and now only use it while we are sitting and watching TV in the evenings, which only adds about $10-$15 a month.

There is a fan noise but it does not interfere with watching TV or anything, it's not any louder than having a fan on in the room.

I forgot to add that we live in Maine with temps anywhere from -10 below to 32 degrees at most this time of year , and I generally keep my heat down to 60 to conserve fuel, and this really does warm our very large open room up nicely.

beaugirl0513

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beaugirl0513

So not true! I have the smaller one that heats 1500 sq. feet. I have a 1000 sq ft. downstairs and I use is instead of using my main heater. Last month, it was the coldest it has been here for over 12 years. I mean below zero stuff. Usually my electric bill would have been over $900 ( I am total electric ) and it was...drum roll please...$317!!!!! I think I may scoop this one up for my basement!

dliidlii1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dliidlii1

Forget the hair fryer. A $25 heater from Wal-Mart will work as well as this $150 option but if you like the look and have the cash it's your call.

llowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llowell
danwat1234 wrote:In a small room, a hair dryer and this unit would heat the room at around the same rate. With a large room with a ceiling fan to circulate air flow also a hair dryer and this unit would heat the room at around the same rate.

Each watt uses 1W = 3.412141633 BTU/hr if you are generation heat with electricity. A hair dryer is in deed the same as a space heater. I would love to heat my 4000 sq ft house with two of these. I must be crazy using a 450000 BTU Steam Boiler. If you are moving heat as in a Heat Pump, thats a different ball game.

beaugirl0513

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beaugirl0513
yeahbuddy wrote:My impression is there are several shills posting. The "greatest thing since sliced bread in spite of the facts" kind of posts touting the wonders of the product...from ordinary buyers ?

yeah, right.

When your electric bill drops over $600, then maybe you will believe the claim. I was so blown away! When I got my bill in my email (green of course) I was really afraid to open it. I knew how unGodly cold it had been and was planning on selling a kidney to pay for the bill. When I read the bill, I did the biggest damn happy dance EVER!!!!! I have a basement that needs extra heat when my band rehearses and the kerosene heater is not only expensive to run, my throat closes off due to the fumes making it hard for me to sing. This would fix that issue!

1500 watts is 1500 watts. good for a 10 ft x 15 ft room.

a hair dryer is not as aesthetically pleasing but is a fancy unit worth $150 ?
i'll turn on the hair dryer instead.

[MOD: I see no signs of shills.]

terryharris

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terryharris

I have one of these. They sell them around here from a company they cal Heat Surge. The Amish are the people that make the wooden part of,the unit. Mine does not have the wood fireplace. This,is a good,price as,they sell these for,around 350 to,400 bucks. The biggest draw back is the cost to run it. It will cost you plenty to run it more than a couple of hours a day. It added 50 dollars to my electric bill and I only used it about 25 hours.

pg318

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pg318
wdsims63 wrote:I know this sounds like a logical statement, and it seems to make sense, but it is not necessarily true. The power usage rating says nothing about the efficiency of the heating elements.
A hair dryer is very inefficient and uses simple resistance heating. Infrared and ceramic heaters use different technology and get much better efficiency.

Still, I doubt the 1800 sq ft number also. That's a pretty big space to heat with a plug-in electric heater.

I'm very tempted though, since every body around here has already sold all their 'space heaters' for the season and no one is ordering any more this year.

All electric heaters use resistive elements, whether they be resistance alloy wire (nichrome is the common one) or a ceramic material. There's no efficiency difference between them on the conversion of electrical power to heat. The only difference is the delivery of that heat to the living space as either radiant heat that warms what's directly in front of the heater, low flow air that is necessarily at a higher temperature (to carry the same heat energy), and feels hot if you're close to it, or high flow air, that will uniformly warm a larger space, but at a lower rate - my house is primarily heated by a heat pump that produces a high flow but raises the air temperature by only a few degrees on each pass, so the heating effect is almost imperceptible.