WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

MuscleTech Phase8 Protein (4 Flavors)

Speed to First Woot:
5m 45.225s
First Sucker:
admrgd
Last Wooter to Woot:
kaizersozi
Last Purchase:
6 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 29% of Woot.com Woots
Top 11% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 3% of Woot.com Woots
Top 1% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 16% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 30% < 10 woots
  • 22% < 25 woots
  • 22% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 12% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 19% one year old
  • 67% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 59% bought 1
  • 28% bought 2
  • 11% bought 3 or more

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
4%
3%
1%
2%
2%
4%
6%
7%
8%
7%
5%
5%
5%
5%
4%
4%
5%
4%
3%
4%
3%
3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]


MuscleTech Phase8 Protein (4 Flavors)
Price: $34.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Feb 24 to Tuesday, Feb 25) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

112elmst


quality posts: 5 Private Messages 112elmst

Truth be told, I prefer Phase 4...

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3367 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) over at gnc.com and vitaminshoppe.com



azwooter


quality posts: 0 Private Messages azwooter

I don't get it.. Do you get 4 jugs of whatever flavor, or just one jug with one of the four?

zener


quality posts: 22 Private Messages zener

My son requires additional nutrition so I give him a blend with milk, cream, and instant breakfast. Is this product suitable for children?


[MOD: Answered below by wooters]

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

azwooter wrote:I don't get it.. Do you get 4 jugs of whatever flavor, or just one jug with one of the four?



Quantity of 1 gets you 1 container. You can buy up to 6 containers for this sale.



FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

maverick1978


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maverick1978
zener wrote:My son requires additional nutrition so I give him a blend with milk, cream, and instant breakfast. Is this product suitable for children?


Are you crazy? Don't you know that all "health" mixes, proteins, shakes, etc,etc,etc are completely unregulated? Often these products are bad enough for adults, but never give them to your small/developing children. If your son needs extra nutrition, consult his doctor! Get his recommendations, then use them. Keep this kind of stuff away from him unless directed...

10/25/2007 Bathysphere of Curmudgeons x 3
03/23/2007 Screaming Monkey w/ Woot GREEN Cape
03/23/2007 Bathysphere of Curmudgeons x 3
01/31/2007 Bathysphere of Curmudgeons x 3
11/16/2006 Logitech Cordless Action PS2 Controller 2-pack

Kraus247


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kraus247
zener wrote:My son requires additional nutrition so I give him a blend with milk, cream, and instant breakfast. Is this product suitable for children?



Additional nutrition and you're giving him garbage. Milk, cream (no nutritional value) and instant breakfast (complete garbage)

I'm not sold on this protein because of the protein "blend". I would stick with a product that is NSF certified so you know it doesn't contain any shady ingredients or impurities.


And the FDA is a joke, there are many independent labs that verify the ingredients and potency of dietary supplements. I'll post more details later.

redspecial


quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial
zener wrote:My son requires additional nutrition so I give him a blend with milk, cream, and instant breakfast. Is this product suitable for children?



If it's protein you're looking for, take a look at strained Greek yogurt. Generally, it has twice the protein of regular (not strained) yogurt and is much thicker because the whey is what is strained out. You could mix the yogurt into your current recipe which will kick up the protein content and if you go with the no-fat version keep the fat down. I'd recommend you run this past your pediatrician. I prefer Faye brand and Chobani brand, in that order. It's a strong flavor for kids, which is why I'd recommend incorporating it into his current protein drink. I hope this information is helpful.

Kraus247


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kraus247
maverick1978 wrote:Are you crazy? Don't you know that all "health" mixes, proteins, shakes, etc,etc,etc are completely unregulated? Often these products are bad enough for adults, but never give them to your small/developing children. If your son needs extra nutrition, consult his doctor! Get his recommendations, then use them. Keep this kind of stuff away from him unless directed...




While I agree that supplements should not be taken by children, very few doctors (or pediatricians) will be able to tell you the difference between whey isolate, whey concentrate and whey hydrolysate. Seek out a qualified nutritionist that is familiar with these products

zener


quality posts: 22 Private Messages zener
Kraus247 wrote:Additional nutrition and you're giving him garbage. Milk, cream (no nutritional value) and instant breakfast (complete garbage)

I'm not sold on this protein because of the protein "blend". I would stick with a product that is NSF certified so you know it doesn't contain any shady ingredients or impurities.


And the FDA is a joke, there are many independent labs that verify the ingredients and potency of dietary supplements. I'll post more details later.



This blend was a recomendation fro m a licensed pediatric nutritionist to boost bottle milk and its done wonders the kid is in the 40 or 50th percentile for his height and he looks and acts like a healthy boy with limitless energy. He has a new nutritionist now ill run this by her and probably wont use it but im still in for 1 for me.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok, I think we've answered the question on suitability for children.

Now, how about this for adults? Personal reviews?



FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

projhex


quality posts: 2 Private Messages projhex
ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, I think we've answered the question on suitability for children.

Now, how about this for adults? Personal reviews?



I've used EAS, Optimum Nutrition and the Phase 8 proteins. The chocolate phase 8 is hands down the best one. Stuff tastes like chocolate milk.

It's got great reviews on Amazon and Bodybuilding.com. However, this really isn't the best deal. BB.com does buy one get one's pretty often and you can get 2 of the 4.4 or 4.6lb containers for ~$53 shipped.

LaKASkill


quality posts: 16 Private Messages LaKASkill
ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, I think we've answered the question on suitability for children.

Now, how about this for adults? Personal reviews?



Phase 8 is some good stuff, IMHO. Woot has it about $10 less than my usual site I buy my supps from. Realize this is a slow burning protein, I like it for when I am hungry before bed. I am so happy to see supps on Woot.

LaKASkill


quality posts: 16 Private Messages LaKASkill
projhex wrote:I've used EAS, Optimum Nutrition and the Phase 8 proteins. The chocolate phase 8 is hands down the best one. Stuff tastes like chocolate milk.

It's got great reviews on Amazon and Bodybuilding.com. However, this really isn't the best deal. BB.com does buy one get one's pretty often and you can get 2 of the 4.4 or 4.6lb containers for ~$53 shipped.



Very true, they often run buy one get ones, though not currently. So that being said, its 46.97 before BB.com's restankulous shipping. So, this is actually a really good deal.

sdc100


quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
zener wrote:My son requires additional nutrition so I give him a blend with milk, cream, and instant breakfast. Is this product suitable for children?



Although I don't know your son's age and why he needs supplementation, I would suggest against it for several reasons.

1) This is a protein powder. It supplies no additional nutrients other than protein. Why not get an overall nutritional solution like PediaSure shakes?

2) This was formulated and tested on adults. Pubescent and prepubescent children have different nutritional needs and metabolize nutrients differently. Excess protein intake has been linked to kidney disease, diabetes and prostate cancer. Depending on the age of your son, even one serving of this Phase8 (= 26g protein) may surpass the RDA recommendation for his age. For example, 1-3 y/o's only need 13g, while 4-8 y/o's need 19g. Boys 14-18 require about 52g -- but we must factor in the protein he's already getting from his normal diet.

3) Most healthy people get enough protein from their normal diet so supplementation often goes to waste (literally). For example, a cup of milk has 8g of protein; 3 oz of meat has approx 21g; 1 cup of dry beans has 16g; and 8oz of yogurt has about 11g. Are you sure he's not already getting enough protein? And even if he isn't, would he need the 26g in one serving of this Phase8?

The bottom line is that if he needs protein or nutritional supplementation, try to do it naturally via food. For example, an extra cup of milk, a slice of cheese, tofu, etc. And if that's not enough, get something specifically formulated for children.

fuyowoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuyowoot

Serving size: 42 grams; protein: 26 grams, non-protein: 16 grams.... I'll pass.There are more pure proteins out there.

sdc100


quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
zener wrote:My son requires additional nutrition so I give him a blend with milk, cream, and instant breakfast. Is this product suitable for children?



You might consider something more neutral and natural like 100% egg white powder. Being flavorless, you can add it to anything from oatmeal to milk. Best of all, you can simply reconstitute with water and cook as you would any egg white, i.e. an omlette.

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
fuyowoot wrote:Serving size: 42 grams; protein: 26 grams, non-protein: 16 grams.... I'll pass.There are more pure proteins out there.



Agree this only deliver about 63% of pure protein compared to others that you get close to 75% - 80% and the price is not much of a difference, although for the price and as a "backup" in case you run out of the good stuff (specially when broke as these are expensive), is worth the try. Better 63% percent of something than 100% of nothing.

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
sdc100 wrote:Although I don't know your son's age and why he needs supplementation, I would suggest against it for several reasons.

1) This is a protein powder. It supplies no additional nutrients other than protein. Why not get an overall nutritional solution like PediaSure shakes?

2) This was formulated and tested on adults. Pubescent and prepubescent children have different nutritional needs and metabolize nutrients differently. Excess protein intake has been linked to kidney disease, diabetes and prostate cancer. Depending on the age of your son, even one serving of this Phase8 (= 26g protein) may surpass the RDA recommendation for his age. For example, 1-3 y/o's only need 13g, while 4-8 y/o's need 19g. Boys 14-18 require about 52g -- but we must factor in the protein he's already getting from his normal diet.

3) Most healthy people get enough protein from their normal diet so supplementation often goes to waste (literally). For example, a cup of milk has 8g of protein; 3 oz of meat has approx 21g; 1 cup of dry beans has 16g; and 8oz of yogurt has about 11g. Are you sure he's not already getting enough protein? And even if he isn't, would he need the 26g in one serving of this Phase8?

The bottom line is that if he needs protein or nutritional supplementation, try to do it naturally via food. For example, an extra cup of milk, a slice of cheese, tofu, etc. And if that's not enough, get something specifically formulated for children.



I agree with you that an average normal healthy "Joe" may not need this. These types of shakes are most oriented to bodybuilders as their "activity" consumes more than an average person and it is recommended for them to intake 1g to 1.7g of protein per pound daily. Do the math - an average person weighing 180 lb. will require at least 66g (.37g per lb. ) of protein daily, whereas the same person doing bodybuilding will require at least 180g of protein daily to maintain or increase muscle mass. This is where these come in on top of their regular diet.

canosbass5


quality posts: 4 Private Messages canosbass5

Bottom line is decent protein for a decent price, that you can use for additional nutrition whenever. Flavors are good and not overpowering like some, dissolves easily in a shaker cup, and the mixing of proteins that are absorbed at different rates is great for someone who does a Lot of diet supplementation through the day.

sandrareily


quality posts: 2 Private Messages sandrareily
zener wrote:My son requires additional nutrition so I give him a blend with milk, cream, and instant breakfast. Is this product suitable for children?


[MOD: Answered below by wooters]


For additional nutrition I recommend Pediasure or Ensure depending on your child's age.

mikem53


quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53

Since when is milk/cream lacking in nutritional value? Milk alone has 1 gram of protein per ounce.
Amazing to see so much erroneous info.. Although I do agree the instant breakfast is crapola..

Kraus247 wrote:Additional nutrition and you're giving him garbage. Milk, cream (no nutritional value) and instant breakfast (complete garbage)

I'm not sold on this protein because of the protein "blend". I would stick with a product that is NSF certified so you know it doesn't contain any shady ingredients or impurities.


And the FDA is a joke, there are many independent labs that verify the ingredients and potency of dietary supplements. I'll post more details later.



justagigilo85


quality posts: 9 Private Messages justagigilo85
projhex wrote:
It's got great reviews on Amazon and Bodybuilding.com. However, this really isn't the best deal. BB.com does buy one get one's pretty often and you can get 2 of the 4.4 or 4.6lb containers for ~$53 shipped.



I bought a few jugs from bodybuilding.com and promptly returned them AFTER reading the reviews on there. There's so many fake reviews on there that it was enough to throw up a red flag for me. Take the following reviews for example. Written by "people" who have no previous reviews or exclusively review MuscleTech products (all of which positive, no less) and never filled out a profile:

This product is amazing and definitely had an impact in my muscle growth...no chalky after taste like I thought there would be either! Definitely a great buy



"I gained about 10 lbs within 3 weeks of nice lean muscle I really recommend this stuff for everyone whos looking for a fast healthy gain



I sent mine back because there's tons of fake reviews and the fillers that are high up on the list. There's better products out there. I'd pass even if you're not a serious body builder...

sdc100 wrote:There are houses devoted to flavoring? With "protein flavoring experts," no less! With that description, I assumed that these contained gourmet flavoring ingredients but all I saw was "natural and artificial flavors."



Uh... yeah, there are companies strictly devoted to flavors. Here are two of the top flavor houses in the world:

Givudan

International Flavors & Fragrances

The very first link upon Googling "Top Flavor Houses" would have given you all that information.

And yes, there are "protein flavoring experts." Working at a flavor house myself, I can tell you that flavoring protein is a pain in the ass. Flavoring an protein drink is hugely different from flavoring an energy drink, an energy shot, carbonated soft drink, alcohol drinks (whiskeys, vodkas, malt, etc). You need to worry about texture, taste (something naturally & artificially flavored can still be delicious), aftertaste (chalky, bitter, etc), ingredient interactions and the type of protein you're working with (milk protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, sodium caseinate, hydrolyzed collagen). It behooves a flavor house to keep a "protein flavoring expert" on staff because flavoring a protein product, whether it's a dry mix like this or an RTD, is not an easy task.

The field is food science is a broad and fascinating one. We mostly work behind the scenes but fear not, our reach is damn near limitless. I'm not sure what you read was amusing.... but your ignorance is hilarious. :]

09171960


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 09171960

Not a good deal at all this web site has it for $39 with free shipping.
http://www.rakuten.com/loc/Muscle-Tech-Phase-8/79172.html

aalcamo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aalcamo

Why do so many of these manufacturers need to put sucralose and other artificial sweetners in their products?

Kraus247 wrote:Additional nutrition and you're giving him garbage. Milk, cream (no nutritional value) and instant breakfast (complete garbage)

I'm not sold on this protein because of the protein "blend". I would stick with a product that is NSF certified so you know it doesn't contain any shady ingredients or impurities.


And the FDA is a joke, there are many independent labs that verify the ingredients and potency of dietary supplements. I'll post more details later.



hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
09171960 wrote:Not a good deal at all this web site has it for $39 with free shipping.
http://www.rakuten.com/loc/Muscle-Tech-Phase-8/79172.html?sclid=sem_bing_health_beauty&adid=18128&mkwid=YDyqYDHM&pcrid=3825360359&pkw=+muscletech%20+phase%20+8&pmt=bb&pdv=c



This would be true if you only buy 1 (although a $.99 difference is not much) but if you buy 2 or more - is where you see the savings as the total shipping is $5 regardless if you buy 6 of these. So if you buy 2 at $39 + free shipping = $78 compared to 2 here at Woot 2 @ 34.99 = $69.98 + $5 = $74.98 or a $3 savings.

hondaman88


quality posts: 4 Private Messages hondaman88

I can get this on Amazon for less than $40 shipped from MuscleTech. Sorry Woot, no deal.

dale380


quality posts: 5 Private Messages dale380

I'm currently taking the chocolate version. Good taste and very thick protein. Minimal after taste that you can come to expect from just about all protein shakes. This is a good price if you buy 2. I just might do that even though I have 3 pounds left.

Apo11oBo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Apo11oBo
LaKASkill wrote:Very true, they often run buy one get ones, though not currently. So that being said, its 46.97 before BB.com's restankulous shipping. So, this is actually a really good deal.



It makes me a little happy just to see someone else use the word "Restankulous." I really thought I made that word up and therefore, have only used it in my head and with my ladyfriend.

That being said, being a protein blend, this aims to deliver the two most effective types of protein: Whey and Casein.

Whey is best utilized immediately after a workout as it is digested and absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly which allows it to be delivered to muscles quickly. It delivers a significant jump in amino acids in the body which is what allows that protein to be synthesized and utilized to build much more muscle mass. The effect is short lived however which is where another protein can be beneficial.

Casein protein is digested much more slowly which provides more of a slow burn of protein synthesis and absorption. It keeps amino acids high as well. It does not elevate them to the levels obtained by Whey, but that's Casein's benefit as they stay elevated for longer. This allows the protein in casein to be used over a greater stretch of time preventing muscle breakdown. Without a sustained elevation in amino acids, the body will look to itself for protein sources to break down and burn. Those sources are usually your muscle.

As a blend, this is a good protein to take a few hours after a workout, especially an evening workout before bed. Whey is still the best option immediately after a workout, but this will do well to provide a muscle sustaining snack if you're hungry before bed.

I can't speak to Phase8 specifically, but someone mentioned not trusting blends. They can actually be pretty effective. Probably not as much as dedicated whey or casein powders, but they're certainly effective.

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
hondaman88 wrote:I can get this on Amazon for less than $40 shipped from MuscleTech. Sorry Woot, no deal.



A link would be great, so we can all benefit. As I am an Amazon Prime member after checking, the 4.4lbs. tub does not go less than $42 (free shipping).

damntheseglasses


quality posts: 3 Private Messages damntheseglasses
hondac95 wrote:A link would be great, so we can all benefit. As I am an Amazon Prime member after checking, the 4.4lbs. tub does not go less than $42 (free shipping).



Don't you love how people fail to check product sizes when making comparisons?

Chocolate, 4.6lbs, $52:
http://www.amazon.com/Phase8-Chocolate-Sustained-Release-Protein/dp/B00BEOHFKO

Cookies & Cream, 4.4lbs, $41:
http://www.amazon.com/Phase8-Cookies-Sustained-Release-Protein/dp/B00CATLSAA

Milk Chocolate, $61:
http://www.amazon.com/Muscletech-Products-Performance-Multi-Phase-Chocolate/dp/B00CQ7UM6C

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff


Hey all! Hope your Saturday is going well.

Just a reminder that the forums are for talking about the product and not... uhm... attacking each other.

Let's be friends. Group hug?



FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

damntheseglasses


quality posts: 3 Private Messages damntheseglasses

Looking at other protein blend products, Muscle Milk 4.94lb tubs go for around $49 but only have 1024g of protein per tub (32g/serving x 32 servings) whereas the MuscleTech Phase 8 has 1300g of protein per tub (26g/serving x 50 servings):

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/muscle+milk/muscle+milk/powder/cytosport+muscle+milk+cookies+n+creme+4.94+pounds.aspx#ingredients
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/cytosport-muscle-milk-cookies-n-creme-4-96-lb-powder/cy-1068

One thing that I don't see in the ingredients are branch chain amino acids or other amino acids such as L-glutamine. But it does have digestive enzymes which may aid absorption.

This is probably a better comparison as far as protein blends - it has 1675g protein per 5lb tub, but at $54 it comes to 3.22 cents/g whereas the Muscle Tech is 2.7 cents/g:

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/fitness+labs+musclefit+strawberry+ice+cream+5+pounds.aspx#ingredients

I'll give two a try; hopefully the digestive enzymes help me digest them better than the MuscleFit from Nutrition Express.

Lily101306


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lily101306

Is this for just one container??

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
damntheseglasses wrote:Don't you love how people fail to check product sizes when making comparisons?

Chocolate, 4.6lbs, $52:
http://www.amazon.com/Phase8-Chocolate-Sustained-Release-Protein/dp/B00BEOHFKO

Cookies & Cream, 4.4lbs, $41:
http://www.amazon.com/Phase8-Cookies-Sustained-Release-Protein/dp/B00CATLSAA

Milk Chocolate, $61:
http://www.amazon.com/Muscletech-Products-Performance-Multi-Phase-Chocolate/dp/B00CQ7UM6C



Thanks for the support!

bbman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbman

As I was doing some research into protein powders for me and my son, who is getting started in bodybuilding, I came across an article on the Dr. Oz website. They have a link to the ConsumerLabs site which offers unbiased testing results of health and nutritional products. Its normally subscriber access only but the link gives you free 24hr access to 3 of its reports, one of which is about protein powders. Unfortunately the report does not include this product but will give you more insight on other protein powders in the market. http://www.consumerlab.com/DoctorOz

mouseanon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mouseanon
ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, I think we've answered the question on suitability for children.



Hardly, and I doubt Woot wants to be held liable for giving medical opinions. People, check with your pediatrician, not some meathead on a deals website.