zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest & Cabinet
Price: $249.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Feb 27 to Friday, Feb 28) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
11/19/2013 - $249.99 - 34 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

wootdougwoot

quality posts: 12 Private Messages wootdougwoot

I paid the very same price for this back in 1995.

Has anyone seen my velociraptor?

kylecoburn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecoburn

How much assembly is required?

Anyone know if the drawers are on ball bearings?

dtairtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtairtime

I will say this as a long time owner/abuser of a craftsman chest that has the ball bearing slides.

i am not a huge fan given the cost - and I got mine at a great price. The glides, when working do a great job. The main problem I have is the notion that I had that sears would stand behind this chest. They don't beyond 90 days. I had several glides loose their ability to stay closed so the drawers tend to open all the time.

I admit I have a lot of tools so mine are getting hard use but I am within the weight limit I think. AS an example I probably have well over 50 lbs in every drawer. Replacing the glides is expensive and if the much sturdier ball bearing ones don't last I would be amiss to recommend this to anyone but those only using it for lighter duty.

The problem is anything really sturdy like snap on or mac are so expensive they are out of reach. So just don't expect this to be long lasting or backed by sears.

dtairtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtairtime
kylecoburn wrote:How much assembly is required?

very little assembly. And after all anyone with enough tools to need a full sized chest putting the handles/castors on shouldn't take but a few minutes.

Almost assuredly not ball bearings. Craftsman usually has a small, but visible plate on the front of chests with ball bearing glides. Not to say they don't exist but I have not seen one with ball bearing glides not carrying the badge.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3495 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this helpful tip from @elguappo from the last sale

trinifawk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages trinifawk

Shipping kills it. But for reals, is this a good deal or should I hold out for Father's Day sales? How does this compare to the "heavy duty" ones sold at Sears?

DennisEChung

quality posts: 67 Private Messages DennisEChung

I have two similar Craftsman rolling chests/top chests nearing 20 years old. When I first assembled them I greased the slides generously and they have held up well. One I used in a machine shop but have since brought home.

Not the highest quality but perfectly suited for the homeowner/hobbyist and priced accordingly. You can spend less and get crap, or you can spend a lot more for the professional grade. This is in a nice sweet spot of value below the point of diminishing returns.

achyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages achyder

This is NOT COVERED by Craftsman's Lifetime Warranty, that is only for hand tools.

It was mentioned before, but I wanted to reiterate.

Put some pep in your step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3ZP6frAMc

crash331

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crash331

If these don't have ball bearings, don't waste your money.

keithalanhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keithalanhill

Uh...you can buy the base for 100 and the top cabinet for 80 at sears outlet...

haydesigner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages haydesigner

Sears is having a BIG sale on tools right now. I was actually in one today, and they are selling the 13-drawer heavy-duty one for only $50 more. (It's a buy the top and bottom, get the middle section free type of deal.)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009CO56572812B

haydesigner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages haydesigner
haydesigner wrote:Sears is having a BIG sale on tools right now. I was actually in one today, and they are selling the 13-drawer heavy-duty one for only $50 more. (It's a buy the top and bottom, get the middle section free type of deal.)

Okay, that link doesn't show the sale price. This one should, in the first one...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/tools-special-deals/dap-120000000333321?adcell=box1_tools

bubbawheat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubbawheat

Not surprised to see this:

'would you believe it: we shipped it in a weak box'

Sadly yeah, woot you know you've earned that belief.....just like the delivery I got yesterday from woot of a tool put in a box 3x the size of the tool with no packing as usual so and the box looks as expected - like a heavy object inside battered it. I've got other cracked & dented items (i.e. 6 acro mills cabinets) I've had to pound out apon receipt from woot. This latest time the item seems undamaged but it shows woot still doesn't care a bit about protecting our merchandise & trying for a safe delivery. It certainly effected my work & play shopping with them & I have to argue to myself some offer price is worth the risk, disappointment, and hassle of asking for & making a return.

Caveat emptor especially with items like sheet metal cabinets or plastic case tools that can easily be scratch, dented, fractured, or crushed on arrival because they're seemingly packed with no care what so ever about customer expectations.

origamimavin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages origamimavin

i bought this last time it was up here a couple months ago. it arrived in 2 very large boxes, fully assembles. the bottom unit was perfect, but there were 2 defects with the top. first, one of the drawers would grind when it was opened/closed. second, when the top was sitting on the base, it wobbled like a table that had one leg that was too long/short. i contacted sears, waterloo (the manufacturer), and then finally woot about it, and no one would replace just the top. finally i get a response from woot saying to send both units back, but i wasn't about to try and ship something this large back to them, so i tried fixing it myself. i wobbled the drawer back and forth and found where it was grinding, and was luckily able to bend some metal by hand and get it to move freely. then, i lifted the top unit up and dropped it on the ground, on the 'long legged' corner of it, until i was able to straighten out the bottom. after all that hassle, i eventually solved both problems and have both units working as they should. now that they work, the bearingless glides actually work pretty well and this holds a lot of stuff. be sure to get yourself some of those nonstick drawer liners, you'll need about 3 rolls of it to cover everything.

Cameron

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cameron

Assembly is pretty much "put top box on top of the bottom box." OK, I exaggerate... I think you have to bolt the wheels on, too.

Craftsman's "Quiet Glide" drawers are not ball bearing, but the work great. I've owned a set of these for 10+ years, and I've had no problem with opening and closing heavily loaded drawers. I would peg these as Sear's middle quality set; much better than their "homeowner" quality boxes.

gnxdad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gnxdad
trinifawk wrote:Shipping kills it. But for reals, is this a good deal or should I hold out for Father's Day sales? How does this compare to the "heavy duty" ones sold at Sears?

Shipping kills....what do you mean? Is shipping expensive?

jlagraff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jlagraff

A word of caution if you have young children. Kids like to open drawers, my friends son tried to open every drawer at once. He narrowly avoided disaster as the entire box fell forward. Granted, this was a snap-on box with smooth drawer glides but any toolbox shaped like this can be dangerous in a home, use with caution and keep it locked up or away from toddlers altogether.

dresdenboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dresdenboy
dtairtime wrote:I will say this as a long time owner/abuser of a craftsman chest that has the ball bearing slides.

i am not a huge fan given the cost - and I got mine at a great price. The glides, when working do a great job. The main problem I have is the notion that I had that sears would stand behind this chest. They don't beyond 90 days. I had several glides loose their ability to stay closed so the drawers tend to open all the time.

I admit I have a lot of tools so mine are getting hard use but I am within the weight limit I think. AS an example I probably have well over 50 lbs in every drawer. Replacing the glides is expensive and if the much sturdier ball bearing ones don't last I would be amiss to recommend this to anyone but those only using it for lighter duty.

The problem is anything really sturdy like snap on or mac are so expensive they are out of reach. So just don't expect this to be long lasting or backed by sears.

Check out the Harbor Freight boxes. Well reviewed, excellent bang for the buck.

livfast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages livfast

I could really use one of these for storage at home but the comments from the last sale about all of the damaged units has me pretty gun-shy...

schep999

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999
achyder wrote:This is NOT COVERED by Craftsman's Lifetime Warranty, that is only for hand tools.

It was mentioned before, but I wanted to reiterate.

Look at the company's balance sheet. Their lifetime might be less than yours.

But this unit is nice in that the top cabinet has three small drawers to isolate smaller tools. I spent two years looking at stores and catalogues trying to get this same unit after it was stolen from me. New units with ball bearings require a divider set, and it still is not as nice for small stuff.

jsh139

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jsh139

Insert signature here.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages corvettejoe
crash331 wrote:If these don't have ball bearings, don't waste your money.

Not true.

I've had my non-ball-bearing set for about 7 years now. It sits in my garage, FULL of tools, has been abused, slammed around, overweighted, drawers slammed hard (gotta take the anger of breaking a part out on something LOL) etc. Every single drawer still glides smoothly. Not one issues with it ever.

They aren't the "cheap" slides, they still have bearings, just not full ball bearings.

My only modification was pulling the lock bars out of it so I could open the drawers without having to open the top lid. Since it's locked in my garage, I don't need a separate locking system on it.

It still looks as new as the day I got it. I actually clean all my tools and wipe my tool chest down periodically.

Mine is a triple decker, it has one more set of drawers sitting between the two you see on Woot.

joolsross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joolsross

Buyer beware. Woot does not allow you to return items unless they are defective. So unlike return policies of most reputable retailers.

Jools

CaptFear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptFear
haydesigner wrote:Sears is having a BIG sale on tools right now. I was actually in one today, and they are selling the 13-drawer heavy-duty one for only $50 more. (It's a buy the top and bottom, get the middle section free type of deal.)

Your link shows $299.00, but when I add to cart, it comes up $429.00, plus another $69.99 in shipping.

hchasen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hchasen

I got one the last time they came up for sale at woot. And yes, the case was a little bit dented. Um... I used my tools and undented/straightened it. Looks fine; if you didn't know it was dented you would never spot it.

As to the case. If you have a lot of tools, but you aren't a professional mechanic, this case is perfect. It maneuvers around easily and it holds up my tools without incident. Slides in and out easily. I have a lot of tools for an amateur, and nothing is overloaded or bent.

It's not that rugged. It's strong enough. If you're going to smack around your toolbox, get a stronger version. Right after you trade your Ford in for a tank. Most people don't need to pay for that level of ruggedness.

Ball bearings. Yup. They're better if you're going to stuff your toolbox full of old fashioned plumbers tools (I mean heavy tools...) or you put too many tools in the box. No. Never mind. If you've got that many tools that you have to overload this toolchest, you need a professional toolchest. But if you haven't figured that out already you need a packrat intervention. Seriously, the drawers are fine for average use. Use common sense! If the drawers stick take a few things out and don't forget to make sure the grease on the slides is ok. Just like you would with ball bearings, except the bearings will work properly under a heavier load. How many lead pipe wrenches do you still use?

I love this toolchest. My tools are organized, it works well, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

lmsteimel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmsteimel

I wonder if you greased the slides? I'm sure that would make a big difference.

dtairtime wrote:I will say this as a long time owner/abuser of a craftsman chest that has the ball bearing slides.

lesbailey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lesbailey
CaptFear wrote:Your link shows $299.00, but when I add to cart, it comes up $429.00, plus another $69.99 in shipping.

I spoke with Sears and the sale price of $299 is "in-store" only.

gchette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gchette

Craftsman cabinets aren't the same quality they used to be. If you compare these side by side with similar cabinets from Lowes, HomeDepot or Menards there is considerably more flex in the Craftsman cabinets. Its too bad as I have used Craftsman tools since my first tool set, but after Kmart bought Sears the brand has gotten cheap.

brancwp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brancwp

I have owned this same set for 15 years. Great toolbox. I have one drawer I overload with heavy stuff and all draws work perfectly, it rolls easily and looks practically brand new still.
I put little magnetic lables on front for what I keep in there...electrical, plumbing, screwdrivers, wrenches...etc.

mcgary911

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcgary911

The quiet glide aren't ball bearing slides. I got a great deal on a similar setup at the Sears outlet a few years back (dark blue too, whoo hoo), and was a little iffy about the non bb sliders. I'm obviously not a shop, but am a pretty heavy home user with a lot of tools. The quiet glide slides haven't missed a beat and work great to this day. And they ARE quiet.

jonnycando

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonnycando

It's not a great price, but it's a fair price. Consider shipping though. Note that Sears sells various levels of Craftsman tool chests. These are not their top level. But I have some just like it and they are quite good for the weekend mechanic. Sears is also always putting on sales for it's Craftsman line. You just never know what's going to be on sale next! If you can't afford Snap-On it's a great way to go!

m3rdpwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m3rdpwr

I want to do a local pickup to save the $70, but I don't see the option!

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie
CaptFear wrote:Your link shows $299.00, but when I add to cart, it comes up $429.00, plus another $69.99 in shipping.

You need to join their tool club (free) and sign in. When you do, the price drops to $299 as it deletes the center case price (as well as the other discount). If you have it shipped to a nearby sears store, you can eliminate the shipping.

Certified Wine Geek

rnatalie

lesbailey wrote:I spoke with Sears and the sale price of $299 is "in-store" only.

NOT TRUE. If you create an tool club account online and sign in, it will show you the $299 price (it wipes out the price of the center case) when you add it to the cart. It's up to you to decide whether to pay the $69 or pick it up at a nearby sears for free. Eitehr way you can order/pay for it online.

Certified Wine Geek

MrPoohh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrPoohh

I bought a craftsman tool box/chest/cabinet set without ball bearings and used it for a little while and it was terrible. I ended up returning it before the 90 days. I bought one of the nice harbor freight tool boxes. (I think they might have different qualities of tool boxes?) It is very heavy duty and works great. I plan on getting another at some point for more space.

rnatalie

Certified Wine Geek

rnatalie

m3rdpwr wrote:I want to do a local pickup to save the $70, but I don't see the option!

Directly under the description there should be a link for Store Pickup which if you click will expand to show what stores are near you. Make sure you've put your zip code in on one of the earlier screens (you shouldn't get the shipping price without it anyhow).

Certified Wine Geek

m3rdpwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m3rdpwr

I was finally able to do in-store pickup.

Thanks for he reminder of their sale.
I got screwed on the box I tried to order yesterday,.

haydesigner wrote:Okay, that link doesn't show the sale price. This one should, in the first one...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/tools-special-deals/dap-120000000333321?adcell=box1_tools