WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Samsung Galaxy Note 8" Tablet w/ Pouch

Speed to First Woot:
4m 14.337s
First Sucker:
wackygene
Last Wooter to Woot:
liebhaber
Last Purchase:
7 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 44% of Woot.com Woots
Top 27% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 20% of Woot.com Woots
Top 15% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 15% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 31% < 10 woots
  • 21% < 25 woots
  • 24% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 10% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 19% one year old
  • 68% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
4%
4%
0%
1%
1%
5%
6%
5%
0%
0%
0%
14%
8%
8%
5%
6%
3%
5%
3%
7%
4%
3%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]


Samsung Galaxy Note 8" Tablet w/ Pouch
Price: $229.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Mar 05 to Monday, Mar 10) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Carloswithac


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Carloswithac

I wonder if this is toddler proof. I want to get my niece a tablet for games and learning.

SilentLegend


quality posts: 4 Private Messages SilentLegend

Does anyone know what system this is running? Can it be upgraded to KitKat, and how well would it run it?

kurrelgyre


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kurrelgyre
SilentLegend wrote:Does anyone know what system this is running? Can it be upgraded to KitKat, and how well would it run it?



"Android™ 4.1 (Jelly Bean)", with a nasty coating of TouchWiz. I had one of these. I liked it, especially the Reading Mode that cut the blue lighting down, the S-Pen, and the expandable memory. TouchWiz eventually drove me to sell it off.

jrstinkfish


quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrstinkfish
SilentLegend wrote:Does anyone know what system this is running? Can it be upgraded to KitKat, and how well would it run it?


I own one. It's a great little tablet. Samsung is releasing KitKat for it soon. It's currently running 4.2.2. There's a bit of a skin there, but I don't mind -- if you don't like it, you can root it and run a custom ROM.

The S-Pen is still a bit gimmicky though. I bought it mainly because the screen is bright and vibrant, and the 8" size is just what I wanted. I haven't used the pen since the first day I owned it.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3495 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews 94.7 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

and

Very good (4.5 out of 5.0) over at target.com

ugrasse2


quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2
kurrelgyre wrote:"Android™ 4.1 (Jelly Bean)", with a nasty coating of TouchWiz. I had one of these. I liked it, especially the Reading Mode that cut the blue lighting down, the S-Pen, and the expandable memory. TouchWiz eventually drove me to sell it off.



Touchwiz can be replaced with many other capable launchers.

The Note 8 I have in front of me runs Android 4.1.2 with no upgrade available. My Note 10.1 does as well. Comparatively, the Tab 7 II and Tab 7 III received updates to 4.2.2. With the significant modifications for MultiView, updates won't come fast. As the Note Pro 12 does run KitKat (first thing I checked!), it would be reasonable to expect Samsung to update the Note 8 and Note 10 as well.

That said, I use my Note 10 almost daily (along with Papyrus) for jotting down notes, quick browsing, etc. I also use my Nexus 7 almost daily for scheduling, email and such, when I want more real-estate than my phone offers.

I was given the Note 8 several months ago, and have barely ever touched it. It's not even charged right now, and probably has been dead for a month. The form factor just makes no sense to me. It's too big to just pop open quickly, and too small to do any serious note-taking, sketches or diagrams. The multiView is a nice idea, but barely usable on the 10" screen, probably pointless on the 8".

If you want your first tablet, this is nice, but for the same price you can get a more capable, brand new Nexus 7. My guess is you'd use it more often due to the format. The S-Pen is great... but just needs more real estate. This could be nice for reading ebooks, but there are less expensive alternatives with better screens in that format -- sure, they don't have the S-Pen, but... see above.

(PS: I'm a mobile developer, thus the high gadget count)

onlinetracker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages onlinetracker

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-lays-out-which-devices-will-get-android-442-kitkat

The 8 is about to get KitKat.

vixro


quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

Having used this and a Nexus 7, I came to the same conclusion that 8" just doesn't make sense. Too small to take notes with the s-pen and too big to fit in my jeans. I stuck with my Nexus 7 because of the sizing alone.

If you're looking for a tablet in this size range I use mine mainly for reading e-books, watching TV on my nightstand before bed, and when I go on trips but just want to fit something in my pocket. Any serious tasks, like email, movies, or taking notes, I prefer to use a larger tablet.

edriczhang


quality posts: 0 Private Messages edriczhang

I want one

rjsmith2007


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjsmith2007

I almost pulled the trigger on this, but decided to get the LG G Pad 8.3 over at Newegg. I got one Open Box for $223.

BUT! They have a 10% off coupon right now on non open box tablets. The G Pad is $279-$28 = $251.

The G Pad doesn't have a stylus, but beats out this tablet in every other aspect.

CHECK HERE:
http://www.newegg.com/LG-Electronics-All-Tablets/BrandSubCat/ID-1623-2557

COUPON (10% off Tablets):
EMCPHHC28

You might get lucky and get an open box one for $223 instead of $251 (w/coupon).

YankInDaSouth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages YankInDaSouth

First time with Woot, but I assume this comes with the OEM charger? I don't see that mentioned anywhere (unless I am blind)

jbrannen2468


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrannen2468

How about the refurbished?? It doesn't say factory refurbished? Should I be worried?? What condition would I expect?

carmelsmiths


quality posts: 1 Private Messages carmelsmiths
Carloswithac wrote:I wonder if this is toddler proof. I want to get my niece a tablet for games and learning.



I have the tab 8 and three acer a1-810 tablets. The acers are $80 cheaper new and work great for my first and fourth graders. They are launching an a1-830 soon running a serious fast chip and same resolution as a mini. What I like about the 810 for kids are that they are a little thicker and heavier but overall are way lighter than a 10 inch

jayhipple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayhipple

I'd just mention that you get no warranty with an open box.

fdavis2744


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdavis2744

Do you think anyone at Woot realizes their support page is not working??? Bought two watches...one came broken.

Hello WOOT????? You out there???? Please give us a legitimate way to contact you!!!!!!!!!!!!

ronzo911


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronzo911

Buy a new one for $20 more--BEST BUY

Ronzo911

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
ronzo911 wrote:Buy a new one for $20 more--BEST BUY



Link please

drthomasho


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drthomasho

I have the same question

jbrannen2468 wrote:How about the refurbished?? It doesn't say factory refurbished? Should I be worried?? What condition would I expect?



zeta30


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30
SilentLegend wrote:Does anyone know what system this is running? Can it be upgraded to KitKat, and how well would it run it?



Short answer, yes you can run KitKat quite well on the Note 8. But you will need to root it and install a custom ROM to do so. I installed a KitKat ROM on my sister's Note 8 and she loves it more now than she did when it was right out of the box.

For those saying they returned the device because they hated Touchwiz, well you did yourself a great disservice by returning an awesome device. All you had to do is load a different launcher and you no longer have to see Toachwiz. Or better yet, root the device and find a non-Touchwiz ROM.

One other great thing about rooting a tablet or phone is that once rooted you can remove all of that bloat crap that the manufacturers and carriers put on them, this not only frees up space on the drive but also frees up the memory so the device will run faster.

fernando65


quality posts: 2 Private Messages fernando65

I just bought one of these 3 days ago on new egg for $250 refurb'd. I loved it, stylus allows u to hover an inch away and still be detected. Hand writing recognition works well. The bezel buttons are annoying because u always hit them when holding with that side. Camera was decent, the OS was very smooth and slick, unlock screens are beautiful, screen is insanely bright, had to turn mine way down. Unfortunately mine suddenly went nuts and the screen would fill with thin white moving lines, eventually wipe image away. This went away but then came back the next day. New egg is letting me exchange for no cost. I prefer 8" over my nexus 7, more comfy to browse on. Even tho resolution is not super high, I don't miss hd res, looks crisp.

BrainardJohn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrainardJohn
zeta30 wrote:Short answer, yes you can run KitKat quite well on the Note 8. But you will need to root it and install a custom ROM to do so. I installed a KitKat ROM on my sister's Note 8 and she loves it more now than she did when it was right out of the box.

For those saying they returned the device because they hated Touchwiz, well you did yourself a great disservice by returning an awesome device. All you had to do is load a different launcher and you no longer have to see Toachwiz. Or better yet, root the device and find a non-Touchwiz ROM.

One other great thing about rooting a tablet or phone is that once rooted you can remove all of that bloat crap that the manufacturers and carriers put on them, this not only frees up space on the drive but also frees up the memory so the device will run faster.



Is there a link to a site that tells me how to Root it. and which systems do you like?

boobaby411


quality posts: 0 Private Messages boobaby411
Carloswithac wrote:I wonder if this is toddler proof. I want to get my niece a tablet for games and learning.



I bought this tablet for my husband for Christmas. It's a great little device, but it was not terribly easy to find a case for it that looked like it would survive an accidental drop. I ended up buying a Ballistic case, which is perfect for an adult user but is definitely not designed for children. Maybe they exist somewhere, but I didn't see any kid tough cases at all for this device. I'd probably recommend just buying a tablet designed for children.

Ringo4422


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
BrainardJohn wrote:Is there a link to a site that tells me how to Root it. and which systems do you like?

There are many sites offering root information for all Android devices. It can be time consuming for the first timer and confusing to the average user. The link below offers a "one click root" by payment method. I think the cost is about $30. I believe you get an email to the device, download the root file, run it, and the device will reboot rooted. It is a legetimate company and is not likely to rip you off.
http://www.oneclickroot.com/

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

gryhnd


quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd

None of the woot sites' shopping carts are working for me. Just spins gears when adding an item. Tried multiple browsers. Wife wants boots. Is it just me?

wootizcool


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootizcool
boobaby411 wrote:... It's a great little device, but it was not terribly easy to find a case for it that looked like it would survive an accidental drop. ...



STM makes a great case (the "Cape") for the Note 8:
http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/samsung-case/cape-samsung-galaxy-note-8/

I have a Note 8 and the above case and I love both. But this isn't a tablet (or case) I'd suggest for kids.

kelliedn


quality posts: 25 Private Messages kelliedn
gryhnd wrote:None of the woot sites' shopping carts are working for me. Just spins gears when adding an item. Tried multiple browsers. Wife wants boots. Is it just me?



It is not just you and that is why I was reading comments...to see if it was just me! lol

Kellie (obviously)
Random Burgandy Olfactory Center 8/20/10 RandomBOC 3/26/10, 1 AdventureBOC 4/1/10
49 woot , 40 kidswoot, 10 shirtwoot, 4 dealswoot, 3 homewoot

gryhnd


quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd
kelliedn wrote:It is not just you and that is why I was reading comments...to see if it was just me! lol



Whew!

(that it's not just me!)

*&^$%^!! b/c if she misses out on her boots there'll be hell to pay all weekend, lol.

jbnalley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbnalley

This deal was $169 without the pouch just last week... So why $229 now?

TheDrMaSuess


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheDrMaSuess

Nothing adding to cart for any of the woot sites. Also couldn't send support message about not adding to cart because there was a server error on that page too. Please fix so I can buy more junk on your site

kelliedn


quality posts: 25 Private Messages kelliedn
gryhnd wrote:Whew!

(that it's not just me!)

*&^$%^!! b/c if she misses out on her boots there'll be hell to pay all weekend, lol.




I want boots too But I have no husband to yell at if I don't get them...

Kellie (obviously)
Random Burgandy Olfactory Center 8/20/10 RandomBOC 3/26/10, 1 AdventureBOC 4/1/10
49 woot , 40 kidswoot, 10 shirtwoot, 4 dealswoot, 3 homewoot

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
ugrasse2 wrote:Touchwiz can be replaced with many other capable launchers.

The Note 8 I have in front of me runs Android 4.1.2 with no upgrade available. My Note 10.1 does as well. Comparatively, the Tab 7 II and Tab 7 III received updates to 4.2.2. With the significant modifications for MultiView, updates won't come fast. As the Note Pro 12 does run KitKat (first thing I checked!), it would be reasonable to expect Samsung to update the Note 8 and Note 10 as well.

That said, I use my Note 10 almost daily (along with Papyrus) for jotting down notes, quick browsing, etc. I also use my Nexus 7 almost daily for scheduling, email and such, when I want more real-estate than my phone offers.

I was given the Note 8 several months ago, and have barely ever touched it. It's not even charged right now, and probably has been dead for a month. The form factor just makes no sense to me. It's too big to just pop open quickly, and too small to do any serious note-taking, sketches or diagrams. The multiView is a nice idea, but barely usable on the 10" screen, probably pointless on the 8".

If you want your first tablet, this is nice, but for the same price you can get a more capable, brand new Nexus 7. My guess is you'd use it more often due to the format. The S-Pen is great... but just needs more real estate. This could be nice for reading ebooks, but there are less expensive alternatives with better screens in that format -- sure, they don't have the S-Pen, but... see above.

(PS: I'm a mobile developer, thus the high gadget count)



Maybe you can help me out with this. How much drawing do you do with the s-pen? When you are talking about not having enough real-estate, does this refer to drawing also? My kids try to draw stuff on their 10" tablets with either their fingers or a capacitive stylus and it's a mess and hard. Does the note's wacom digitizer make this a better/easier thing. Even though this is the same resolution as the older Note 10.1, do you think that is still an issue with screen real estate? Thanks

TheDrMaSuess


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheDrMaSuess

Woot Your revenue per hour is going down with your site not working

gunnerp245


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gunnerp245
jbnalley wrote:This deal was $169 without the pouch just last week... So why $229 now?



Because it was the Tab not the Note.
"Feb 19, 2014 ... Samsung SM-T3100-ZWYXAR Galaxy Tab 3 8.0"
http://www.woot.com/offers/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-8-0-tablet-1

User of the 10" Entourage Edge (EE) and 7" Pocket Edge (PE). Red as Green was not an option. Have a visit Mobileread and view the Entourage Edge (EE) & Pocket Edge (PE) forum, when you have the opportunity! Helpful members and many hints, tricks and tips.

redstang


quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang

For those commenting stating that they don't understand the 8" size, all you have to do is do some web browsing to get the difference. I have a 7" Galaxy Tab and my kids have iPad Minis - I far prefer the 8" form factor to the 7", especially for about the same money. The reason being: web browsing. Web browsing is still quite annoying on a 7" tablet, which is sort of a wide-screen format. To me, it is the 7" size that doesn't make sense. At that size you might as well just use your 4 to 5" phone. 8" is the perfect compromise if you don't want to spend the extra money for a full size tablet. This tempts me, as did the deal for the $180 Tab 3 the other day, but I've hit my electronics budget for the quarter.

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
gak0090 wrote:Maybe you can help me out with this. How much drawing do you do with the s-pen? When you are talking about not having enough real-estate, does this refer to drawing also? My kids try to draw stuff on their 10" tablets with either their fingers or a capacitive stylus and it's a mess and hard. Does the note's wacom digitizer make this a better/easier thing. Even though this is the same resolution as the older Note 10.1, do you think that is still an issue with screen real estate? Thanks


@gak0090, I think I get @ugrasse2's point about drawing on a tablet.

I want a Note but can't yet justify it since we are fully tableted at present.

For doing initial design/drawings, the Wacom/stylus precision is a huge leap forward vs sloppy finger (or coarse, generic, capacitive, eraser-head stylus) on non-wacom screen. Try a Note and you'll see the difference.

As to real estate screen size, that depends on whether you are writing or drawing. I can see how the 5 inch note would be too small to take advantage and the 8 inch might be constrained for some folks. But a 10 inch screen really shines for drawing... and that glorious new 12.2 Note Pro? Wish I could justify spending $750 on it!

kenworld


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenworld
jbnalley wrote:This deal was $169 without the pouch just last week... So why $229 now?



This is the "note" it's much better.

feldergarb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages feldergarb

The add to cart won't work...