zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Samsung 2.1 Bluetooth Sound Bar with Sub
Price: $79.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Mar 03 to Tuesday, Mar 04) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/23/2014 - $79.99 - 25 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3542 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

SilentLegend

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SilentLegend

Notably cheaper than it is on Amazon.

Top critical review still liked it, saying it was a good, cheap, entry level sound bar.

mdwyerfoo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages mdwyerfoo

I got one of these the last time they came up. I like it!

One of the better features is if you connect it using the optical cable, it will automatically turn on when whatever is at the other end turns on, no matter what that is. So, at the VERY least, the power is automatically controlled.

If you've got a Samsung TV, the soundbar remote will turn it on and off. If you've got a really new Samsung TV, you might be able to control the volume better with it. As it stands, my Samsung TV is a few years old, and I'm still stuck with proliferating remotes.

Lastly, if nothing else, you can use it as a bluetooth speaker system for your smartphone. You have to reconnect it (though not re-pair it) every time you start it, but once it is all linked up, it makes a pretty good replacement for a Jambox. Consider using this soundbar somewhere NOT under a TV!

Kat0908

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kat0908
mdwyerfoo wrote:I got one of these the last time they came up. I like it!

One of the better features is if you connect it using the optical cable, it will automatically turn on when whatever is at the other end turns on, no matter what that is. So, at the VERY least, the power is automatically controlled.

If you've got a Samsung TV, the soundbar remote will turn it on and off. If you've got a really new Samsung TV, you might be able to control the volume better with it. As it stands, my Samsung TV is a few years old, and I'm still stuck with proliferating remotes.

Lastly, if nothing else, you can use it as a bluetooth speaker system for your smartphone. You have to reconnect it (though not re-pair it) every time you start it, but once it is all linked up, it makes a pretty good replacement for a Jambox. Consider using this soundbar somewhere NOT under a TV!

Why not under a TV?

Heiijeil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Heiijeil

Would this work with 220v?

Snufkin0007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Snufkin0007

I have a question. WHAT THE HELL does "tight, thundering bass" supposed to mean?
I'm seriously starting to get the feeling that the marketing team at Woot thinks that we are a bunch of chunk light, low class tuna in spring water - ready to drop our scales and start throwing our fins at the first sighting of some tight bass. I'm so sick of their "rich and dynamic" condescension. WE SEE WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO HERE WOOT! Duh! It's obvious that a bunch of the big fish at Woot got together and were like "well, we've got this boring old Bluetooth sound bar sitting here. Any ideas on how we can doll it up into something the average chunk lighter will fall for? What's that Bob? Ah yes of course! You're absolutely right, how could I forget the number one rule of advertising:When a product is substandard, drape a hot, scantily scaled bass over it with some omega 3's dripping off of it and they'll shop with their trout instead of their brains."
Guess what Woot? We are fish too! I don't care how much that tight bass thunders, we aren't a bunch of shallow swimmers! We want more than just a little fatty acid. The 80's are long gone and we want our bass sophisticated and independent of the soundbar. You really believe that we would settle like a bunch of dogs for subwoofing? We want our woofers woofing with genuine standard woof, understood?? This Bluetooth soundbar is no Chicken of the Sea, and we all know it. It's high tide that you started treating us like we live in the same ocean as you.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
Snufkin0007 wrote:I have a question. WHAT THE HELL does "tight, thundering bass" supposed to mean?
I'm seriously starting to get the feeling that the marketing team at Woot thinks that we are a bunch of chunk light, low class tuna in spring water - ready to drop our scales and start throwing our fins at the first sighting of some tight bass. I'm so sick of their "rich and dynamic" condescension. WE SEE WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO HERE WOOT! Duh! It's obvious that a bunch of the big fish at Woot got together and were like "well, we've got this boring old Bluetooth sound bar sitting here. Any ideas on how we can doll it up into something the average chunk lighter will fall for? What's that Bob? Ah yes of course! You're absolutely right, how could I forget the number one rule of advertising:When a product is substandard, drape a hot, scantily scaled bass over it with some omega 3's dripping off of it and they'll shop with their trout instead of their brains."
Guess what Woot? We are fish too! I don't care how much that tight bass thunders, we aren't a bunch of shallow swimmers! We want more than just a little fatty acid. The 80's are long gone and we want our bass sophisticated and independent of the soundbar. You really believe that we would settle like a bunch of dogs for subwoofing? We want our woofers woofing with genuine standard woof, understood?? This Bluetooth soundbar is no Chicken of the Sea, and we all know it. It's high tide that you started treating us like we live in the same ocean as you.

n-o-o-b

Omnivorous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Omnivorous

With my USB-connected audio system, there's a slight delay to the audio -- notable if you're paying close attention. Is that the case with sound bars as well?

FWIW: we have a Vizio TV connected to a Sony amplifier.

corbinworks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corbinworks

I picked up this unit NEW from Walmart for $149.00, Had to return it the next day because it would turn off on its own watching TV, Swapped it out for another new unit and did the same thing, returned it and got my money back. Both units did the same thing.

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67
Snufkin0007 wrote:I have a question. WHAT THE HELL does "tight, thundering bass" supposed to mean?

It's obvious you have never been scuba diving and heard a largemouth bass burp. It's pretty loud and thundering. Not real tight though, especially coming from flabby bass.

joedetroit

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joedetroit

Last night I finally removed the sound bar (Boston Acoustic refurb off Woot) from my TVs. It just didn't work out.

It was always off so it had to be turned on (why auto shut off?). Then you had to turn it up. Plus someone always hit the source button so you had to struggle to set it to the proper source. All this with yet another remote. blah

These seem to be more trouble than my receiver on my main TV. Maybe Samsung does it better, I do not know.

willb92

quality posts: 2 Private Messages willb92

I bought the refurb wireless sub version from Woot and couldn't be happier with it. It added great sound to my little Philips TV and the BT is really cool to use with streaming music from my phone. My TV doesnt have an optical cable but I was able to get the DirecTV remote to control the sound.

lanewid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lanewid

Got this last time it was up on woot.

I had been waiting for something that was affordable, and had bluetooth.

I went out and bought an optical cable, plugged it in from my tv to my sound bar, and I have wondrous sound after years of puny flatscreen speaker sound.

Pros -
1. Turns on automatically when you turn the tv on.
2. Gives rich enough sound without overwhelming the room.
3. Small profile, especially the sub. Does not take up much room at all.
4. The bluetooth capability is great - I can get about 40 feet away and it still works with my phone.

Cons
1. This is not going to give you room shaking bass. However, that's not what you buy a sound bar for.
2. I've had a difficult time trying to get it to work with my comcast xfinity remote. I'd love to be able to control the sound with just one remote, but as of now I have to use the one that came with the sound bar to change the volume. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

All in all, if you want great sound for the average movie watcher, without the ground shaking bass - this ones for you. If you want to thump, skip it. I for one love this unit.

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA
mdwyerfoo wrote:
Lastly, if nothing else, you can use it as a bluetooth speaker system for your smartphone. You have to reconnect it (though not re-pair it) every time you start it, but once it is all linked up, it makes a pretty good replacement for a Jambox.

I would hope that a sound bar and full subwoofer would be better than a "pretty good" Jambox replacement. Speaker design is still, in general, one place where size IS important (especially for bass), so I would hope that this would be better than a Beatbox or Big Jambox.

I have a Jambox that I carry with me, but I'm thinking of buying this for work (when everybody else is gone), but if the sound quality isn't any better than a Jambox, I'm not going to waste my money.

pmad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pmad

Is subwoofer wired or wireless?

I have a wall mounted samsung that this would work well with, but who wants a cord running from their wall mount to a sub?

stevekk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevekk

The "brick" in the power cord, I assume it converts 120Ac to something? Anybody have a idea to what? DC? If so, how much DC?

swivan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swivan

woot! is looking more like eBay everyday. Used to be one bargain a day. fun and easy. Now it's a mall.

llmcl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llmcl
stevekk wrote:The "brick" in the power cord, I assume it converts 120Ac to something? Anybody have a idea to what? DC? If so, how much DC?

Power Supply: DC 24V

It says it in the specs tab.

falcon7009

quality posts: 1 Private Messages falcon7009

I have mediacom and i have been able to link the sound bar with my remote. just look up a code online and put it in the audio slot. all in all good buy, its better than the tv speakers.

auctionmoguls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auctionmoguls

These are fantastic sound bars. I bought one new from Best Buy in December. Here are two issues I encountered:

1. These units need to be plugged into a wall socket that has some decent um-pf. I initially returned a new unit because it wouldn't power on. I had the same problem with the second unit, I plugged it into a receptacle that had better power and wallah, it worked.

2. Don't waste your time with the included audio cable. It absolutely sucks! If you have an optical source on your output, buy a decent optical cable for $30. HDMI is another option. If you use the standard audio jack, you will be disappointed in the sound quality.

auctionmoguls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auctionmoguls

Actually Wired. Ignore my previous response.

pmad wrote:Is subwoofer wired or wireless?

I have a wall mounted samsung that this would work well with, but who wants a cord running from their wall mount to a sub?

61yduj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 61yduj

Does anyone know if you can control the level of the subwoofer with the remote? Thanks.

stevematlbch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stevematlbch
auctionmoguls wrote:These are fantastic sound bars. I bought one new from Best Buy in December. Here are two issues I encountered:

1. These units need to be plugged into a wall socket that has some decent um-pf. I initially returned a new unit because it wouldn't power on. I had the same problem with the second unit, I plugged it into a receptacle that had better power and wallah, it worked.

2. Don't waste your time with the included audio cable. It absolutely sucks! If you have an optical source on your output, buy a decent optical cable for $30. HDMI is another option. If you use the standard audio jack, you will be disappointed in the sound quality.

monoprice.com is the place for cables of all sorts. I got a very high quality 6 ft optical cable for $13 to my door. $8 was shipping, so if you can use any other cables of any type, order them, that cost ratio becomes better. They ship super-fast too.

drbayzball2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drbayzball2002

My TV has bluetooth. I usually use it for headphones. Could I use the bluetooth on this soundbar to make it so I didn't need to use wires?

nickrussell1220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickrussell1220

Could you hook up a turntable with a built in preamp to this sound bar?

laserscottman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laserscottman
Heiijeil wrote:Would this work with 220v?

Of course not, unless you like sparks and then dead silence...

mdwyerfoo

Kat0908 wrote:Why not under a TV?

It works fine under a TV, of course, but don't limit yourself. You could set it on a book case and use it to play music from your cell phone in the den.

Omnivorous wrote:With my USB-connected audio system, there's a slight delay to the audio -- notable if you're paying close attention. Is that the case with sound bars as well?

This isn't USB connected, really. It has a USB plug on it, but you don't plug a sound generating thing into it, so much as plug a storage device into it. Then, the built-in player will play the files on the device. If you're going to send sound to it, you'll be using the analog jack or the optical port.

If you're using the optical port, you can select up to a 300ms delay to help it sync up to a slow display.

Pony99CA wrote:...if the sound quality isn't any better than a Jambox, I'm not going to waste my money.

I think it is better. It uses big chunks of paper and foam moving to make the big noises instead of audio perception tricks. The Jambox sounds amazingly good for as small as they are, but they always sound 'fake' to me. For my uses, I'd rather have a soundbar with a sub.

It still probably isn't what you want, though. It isn't exactly what I would call 'portable'.

61yduj wrote:Does anyone know if you can control the level of the subwoofer with the remote? Thanks.

You control almost everything from the remote. There are only four buttons on the bar itself, and they're mostly just for power, source, and volume. You can navigate a menu system through it, and might be able to arjust the sub that way, but using the remote is much more practical.

drbayzball2002 wrote:My TV has bluetooth. I usually use it for headphones. Could I use the bluetooth on this soundbar to make it so I didn't need to use wires?

You could, yes. The bar just shows up as bluetooth headphones. However, I think you won't like doing it this way. You have to tell the bar to reconnect to bluetooth from its remote every time you use it. It doesn't automatically reconnect, although it does remember the pairing.

nickrussell1220 wrote:Could you hook up a turntable with a built in preamp to this sound bar?

Sure. You would use the analog-in jack. You'd probably need an adapter to take two RCA Phono plugs and convert them to an 1/8" plug.

mdwyerfoo

laserscottman wrote:Of course not, unless you like sparks and then dead silence...

AAAaaaactually, it will work just fine. It will work at 220v 50Hz, too.

The unit is powered by one of those agile switching power supplies, that will take 90-250v 50-60Hz. You just need to find the right plug or adapter on the wall-socket side.

61yduj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 61yduj

61yduj wrote:
Does anyone know if you can control the level of the subwoofer with the remote? Thanks.

You control almost everything from the remote. There are only four buttons on the bar itself, and they're mostly just for power, source, and volume. You can navigate a menu system through it, and might be able to arjust the sub that way, but using the remote is much more practical.

Thank you!

Pony99CA

pmad wrote:Is subwoofer wired or wireless?

Did you think that they lied in the product title? "Samsung HW-FM35 2.1-Channel 120W Bluetooth Home Theater Sound Bar with Wired Subwoofer" (emphasis added)

Pony99CA

mdwyerfoo wrote:I think it is better. It uses big chunks of paper and foam moving to make the big noises instead of audio perception tricks. The Jambox sounds amazingly good for as small as they are, but they always sound 'fake' to me. For my uses, I'd rather have a soundbar with a sub.

It still probably isn't what you want, though. It isn't exactly what I would call 'portable'.

(Weird -- Reply doesn't work well with multi-quoted responses. Only the last quoted part was returned, so I had to copy/paste.)

Thanks for the response. I'm not worried about portability -- I planned to leave this at the office so I wouldn't have to take out my Jambox.

However, I just checked the specs:

Main Unit: 30W/Ch, 8 ohms, 10% THD, 1kHz
Subwoofer: 60W, 3 ohms, 10% THD, 100Hz

Those are NOT "high fidelity" by any means. Back in my audio days (the 70s), high fidelity required no more than 1% THD and generally across 20 Hz through 20,000 Hz (although I would make an exception on the frequency response for 2.1 systems, of course).

I wonder what the power output would be to meet a 1% THD rating....

Dartman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dartman

It might be in the full specs somewhere but I bet either is about 10 watts clean.
I bought one of the Coby units cheap that has a wireless small sub and I really like it for the improved sound vs what I paid.
Other then the wired sub this one should be just as good or maybe even better if it actually has better drivers then the cheap Coby has. I think most folks will just sit the sub close by their TV along the wall anyways so wired or wireless for most shouldn't be a issue other then trying to route and maybe hide the wires.

mdwyerfoo

Pony99CA wrote:I planned to leave this at the office so I wouldn't have to take out my Jambox.

However, I just checked the specs

I don't think you're reading those specs right. If I understand correctly, that's how loud it can get before the distortion rises over 10%. That they chose the 10% mark instead of the .1% marks says to me that it all falls apart at high volumes, but doesn't say anything about the overall accuracy of the speakers at listening levels.

Sadly, getting that kind of data seems to be nearly impossible, and so we're left with some extremely subjective reviews that don't help anyone, I feel. So I made a point not to make any mentions of the sound quality of the bar.

No, this is not an audiophile rig. No, it does not sound like a rig costing 5x as much. It is sufficient to fill a bedroom with TV sound or MP3 music. It does not and will not replace a 5.1 home theater setup.

The only thing I think I can say about the sound is that it is overly boomy at its default settings, and turning the sub down helps a lot.

I think sound-wise, it would work well in an office. However, I think the daily reconnection thing I mentioned before would quickly annoy you.

But remember: you're piping lossy-compressed audio over a lossy-compressed wireless stream into an artful DSP. Are you sure you're concerned about the accuracy of your music?

vulcansdad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vulcansdad
auctionmoguls wrote:These are fantastic sound bars. I bought one new from Best Buy in December. Here are two issues I encountered:

How can I tell if my Samsung TV has an "optical source" on its output?
I've looked on the back of the set and don't see the word "optical".
My set is about four years old.
Thanks.

Never mind....Found it.
Have ordered the unit....

acraigl

quality posts: 43 Private Messages acraigl

I'm using the $49 Philips with wired sub that came out a few weeks/months ago on woot. I'm in 'like' with it, and would have jumped on this one otherwise.

For the remote jugglers out there, just get a Harmony remote. It will cure all your woes.

mbowserjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbowserjr

Worst sound out put from any soundbar, and it is connected to my Samsung Smart TV. Bass is barely audible or way too loud. Dialogue is extremely difficult to discern even in Cinema setting. Let's put it this way, I've listened to a Vizio soundbar and it performed 100 times better. I was so disappointed with these speaker after trying all of the setting options and could never make it optimal. Works even worse when using the TV Soundshare option while watching streaming movies. I'd skip this and go for a 5.1 or 7.1 theater system... I mean steer clear of this product!

verminator17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminator17
laserscottman wrote:Of course not, unless you like sparks and then dead silence...

Thank you for making me laugh. Funniest thing I have heard in days!!!
Have a good one
Your fiend,
Vermin

natedwelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natedwelle

I noticed after I placed my order that the shipping address was wrong. I need this to either be shipped to my billing address or change my shipping address. I can't get a hold of anyone in customer service!