zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

OtterBox Armor Waterproof Cases for Apple/Samsung
Price: $24.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Thursday, Mar 06 to Tuesday, Mar 11) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

*sigh* I bought one of these for retail price ($110.00) at at&t when buying a replacement iPhone.

Sighing aside, I work with children with anger issues, and my phone while in case, has been thrown onto the ground, spat on, tossed against the white board and even chewed on, and not a single scratch or break. The water proofing seals work, I accidentally dropped mine in a deep puddle this last storm, and also into the surf to film my nieces swimming with water splashing on it, and no problem.

I've also tested my camera while throwing the phone around, works like a charm.

Get this case if you want a lifetime out of your phone.

that was fun while it lasted!

lichme

quality posts: 2738 Private Messages lichme

I have gotten the OtterBox for 2 separate phones (Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4s). Both times they have worked great. While they do add some bulk to your phone, the protection they add is second to none. Otterbox also has great support, and a great warranty.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to put my phone in my back pocket anymore with one of these one it... I sure don't want to have to resort to a purse just to keep my phone safe.

bpingel93

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bpingel93

At least on the Galaxy S3 case, seems to be a lot of customers having a very difficult time hearing and being heard while using their phones for their main purpose, a phone.
Otterbox website reviews for Galaxy S3

A Woot's a Woot, no matter how small!

grauler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grauler

Luck is a factor. I knocked my iPhone off the kitchen counter without a case and it didn't break. Very lucky. So I got an OtterBox, thinking that it was worth losing the iPhone form factor for the OtterBox protection.

And the first time my OtterBox was put to the test (about 6 months later) it happened to be the same drop. This time I was not so lucky and it pretty much shattered the screen.

While looking for an OtterBox guarantee online I saw rumors of it warping the iPhone, but I see no warp in mine.

And there does not seem to be any OtterBox guarantee.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3296 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page for the 4/4s and the 5

newinwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newinwoot

Waterproof, that's good! But the phones look a little weired in the cases. Am I the only one who think so?

Dartman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dartman

I got the black version of this case when I bought my S3 and it's very bulky but I hear fine with it and it fully protects the phone. Only mistake I made was yanking the screen protector off thinking it wouldn't fit in place. It was very hard to remove and at first I thought it was just there to keep the case in shape, stupid me.
Very nice case anyways as long as you don't mind the size increase.

tparadox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tparadox

1) Do these cases interfere with reading NFC tags? They look bulky enough to block it like the last case I bought.

2) It's moot right now anyway, since my phone is a GS4. Sigh. Now that the GS5 has been announced, how long before we start seeing more representation for the S4 here?

thecravenone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecravenone

Note that the tech specs on the Otterbox site point out that this is not compatible with either the 5S or 5C, which are the only 5 models currently in production.

bpr2

There are people out there, like my old self, that have an unprotected iPhone5

thecravenone wrote:Note that the tech specs on the Otterbox site point out that this is not compatible with either the 5S or 5C, which are the only 5 models currently in production.

bpr2

No interference for my phone at all. The area around the camera has a "valley" around it so there is no thick wall (bulk) around the camera or the flash.

tparadox wrote:1) Do these cases interfere with reading NFC tags? They look bulky enough to block it like the last case I bought.

2) It's moot right now anyway, since my phone is a GS4. Sigh. Now that the GS5 has been announced, how long before we start seeing more representation for the S4 here?

DennisEChung

quality posts: 66 Private Messages DennisEChung
thecravenone wrote:Note that the tech specs on the Otterbox site point out that this is not compatible with either the 5S or 5C, which are the only 5 models currently in production.

This will fit the 5S, but the fingerprint ID will not work.

RaiseAkitas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RaiseAkitas

I have an OtterBox and it has held up okay. Protective screen scratches and gets marks easily. They used to come with a lifetime guarantee but I guess that is not true any more. I bought mine when they did have the warantee and they would not replace it. I will look for an alternative. No thanks OB. Not for this price.

CoffeeOnIce

quality posts: 11 Private Messages CoffeeOnIce

I have a Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4S. It's white, so it shows signs of aging, but at 2.5 years old, the only real complaint I have is that the edges of the protective screen (where it is glued to the case) got so much grit and grime under there that I couldn't stand it and had to take it off to clean it out (can't be replaced/reattached).

That's really only an issue for the folks out there with OCD. Like, actual OCD, not "oh I'm so OCD about that" OCD. Nope, not going to get started on that. I'm not.

Anyway, the twerp cat knocks my phone off the shelf onto the air purifier every morning and the phone still looks brand new under its case.

tomingulfbreeze

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tomingulfbreeze

Funny you should say that. The phone function of the device is less than 50% of what I use mine for, and I suspect that's true for a lot of people. Having said that, there is a slight loss of volume with both this case and the lifeproof. I suspect that's going to happen with any water resistant case that actually allows the phone to be submerged,

bpingel93 wrote:At least on the Galaxy S3 case, seems to be a lot of customers having a very difficult time hearing and being heard while using their phones for their main purpose, a phone.
Otterbox website reviews for Galaxy S3

gge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gge

Does it fit the Samsung Galaxy SIII mini? or GT-I8190N ?

JUICEDCOUPE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JUICEDCOUPE

Is there a belt clip that works with this case?

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl

Do these last longer than the garbage Lifeproof cases? I prefer how Lifeproof cases are super thin, these at 0.82 inches seem very thick. My LP is about half that.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

richg0404

quality posts: 2 Private Messages richg0404

I have very little concern for waterproofing my phone but making it somewhat indestructible would be nice. Can this be modified so that you could hear/be heard better by removing a tiny part of the waterproof membrane ?

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090

No Galaxy S4 case??????

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980
grauler wrote:
And the first time my OtterBox was put to the test (about 6 months later) it happened to be the same drop. This time I was not so lucky and it pretty much shattered the screen.

Your phone dropped from countertop height in an OtterBox and it broke the screen? That's hard to believe. I don't like OtterBox personally, I think they're too bulky. But for normal everyday drops they tend to work very well.

If I was interested in waterproofing I'd go with LifeProof. Much thinner cases. You can still put one in your pocket using a LifeProof case. Not so much in an OtterBox.

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
bpr2 wrote:There are people out there, like my old self, that have an unprotected iPhone5

Please. There are people like me still rocking an iPhone 4.

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980
xninjagrrl wrote:Do these last longer than the garbage Lifeproof cases? I prefer how Lifeproof cases are super thin, these at 0.82 inches seem very thick. My LP is about half that.

LP cases are much thinner but give you the same waterproofing. I've had multiple LP cases before and they customer service was always good about replacements (assuming you bought a genuine LP product, there is apparently a big market for fakes). I had an iPhone 4 LP case for years until I went to the 5. Their initial version of the iPhone 5 case was so badly designed that I quit using LP altogether. I can only assume they've fixed those issues by now. I'm in trigged by the nuud case, that doesn't put a giant pocket of air over the screen, but still haven't tried it. I just don't are enough about waterproofing. It's all about how you use it.

parrotma32578

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parrotma32578

I was all excited and ready to order then - poof - I check out the phone selections. Wow,am I disappointed - nothing for Samsung Galaxy 4. :-(

gandalas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandalas
RaiseAkitas wrote:I have an OtterBox and it has held up okay. Protective screen scratches and gets marks easily. They used to come with a lifetime guarantee but I guess that is not true any more. I bought mine when they did have the warantee and they would not replace it. I will look for an alternative. No thanks OB. Not for this price.

"This price?". You let me know when you can find an alternative protective case for $25 that works this well.

I have the defender on mine right now...trying to justify the cost in my mind for the upgrade.

BrandiSCollins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrandiSCollins

Does OtterBox now replace the phone itself if there's damage while in their cases? While a warranty on the case itself is nice, LifeProof replaces the phone if there's damage to it while in their cases, lat time I checked OtterBox didn't offer that....have they changed?

roorufus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roorufus

We've used Otterbox defender cases since we purchased our first iPhones forever ago. I bike. A lot. I strapped the belt clip on my handle bars for an easy way to use my phone as a dashboard. 3 times I have hit bumps at 20mph that caused the phone to pop out of the clip, hit the pavement, and then be run over by the bike. While the case has some bumps and bruises, my phone is still like new when I take it out the case.
I now have a kayak and have been looking for a reasonably priced waterproof option. Thanks woot! Just hook a carabiner to the wrist strap so if it falls out of the boat I can retrieve it!

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

Would this be a case that would be reasonably easy to take your phone out of and use w/o the case (or to put into a thinner case) for normal use?

I've got an OtterBox Defender that I'm okay with, but would like to have the waterproof capabilities for when I'm hunting/boating/fishing/etc. Is it as simple as popping it out of the case and putting the other on or is a chore and do I risk losing the protection of the case if I'm putting it in taking it out occasionally?

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

teachermom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teachermom

SCORE!!! My daughter is upgrading and I'm getting her old 4s (that she's had in an Otterbox Defender from day one). I wanted the Otterbox Armor because of the lanyard, but the official website said out of stock (and priced at $99) THANK YOU, WOOT!!!!

richweav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richweav

I bought one of these shortly after they hit the market...and returned it a day later. It IS solid as a rock and the phone goes in and out easily, but the increase in size and bulk was too much for me. I carry my phone in my front pocket an the Armour case just added too much bulk.
If you work in construction, or in an environment where the phone may be exposed to shock or elements, it may be a great buy, but the Lifeproof case was the better choice for me.

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple

Wish this had been available at this price when Woot sold the Defenders for $8 ($13 shipped).

Both the Defender and this case are too bulky to pocket for everyday use for me. (The only thing that goes on a belt for me in everyday use is belt loops.)

But I want temporary protection for rough activities like camping, mountain biking, boating, lumber-jacking, etc... Would have gladly paid this premium over the Woot Defender price to add Waterproof!

I guess I'll stick with my plain waterproof Otter Box box for boating but you can't use the phone other than via Bluetooth that way.

rhg0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhg0

Does the iphone 5 case work with an iphone 5s

csterman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csterman

Wow...all the way up to SamsungS3- The S5 is coming out soon. Woot is not showing Androis users any love!

jszitelman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jszitelman

As I often work at heights I can attest that this case holds up very well to abuse.

Unfortunately, due to the waterproof membrane, I often have people tell me I sound muffled or very distant. Opening the charging port seems to help people hear sometimes, but other times I have to take the phone out of the case; something I'd rather not do when I'm on top of a ladder.

honestjoe68

quality posts: 6 Private Messages honestjoe68

Hey can any of the Wooters that already Own this case help me out please!

I had the LP waterproof case on my iPhone 5, but ended up taking it off & throwing it away... Yes it was waterproof and protected it from a few light drops onto the floor BUT the darn LP brand cover TOTALLY muffled the sound!!

My family said they could hardly hear me when I called while the iPhone was in the LP cover! (Yes I had iPhone volume up all the way) but the WORST part was how LOW and barely audible all my Ringtones and Alerts became while in the LP case... I missed calls it was so drastically reduced!

Anyhow.. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated by actual owners of this specific Otterbox case! (No offense but opinions and guesses about this from non-owners, I've already had a plenty!) :-) lol Thanks Guys!!

martamek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martamek

The specs only show iPhone products, but description shows possibility for Galaxy SIII. So which one is it? I don't want to order thinking I'll get my Galaxy protected and get an iPhone cover... Thanks!

tanios

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tanios

So I can't find the article right this moment, but there's a good explanation for what happened to your phone out there on the interweb. Basically, gorilla glass can usually survive one focused hit against it, suffering only microfractures that are too small for the naked eye to see, so it looks like the phone came off unscathed. Unfortunately, those microfractures pretty much make it so that any concentrated force can essentially spread across the glass and shatter it completely the second time around. Put it another way, people who are allergic to bee stings can survive the first sting without incident because their body hasn't produced antibodies in response to the sting. The second sting is when the allergy appears because the antibodies are primed and ready, causing the allergic reaction. Which is to say, gorilla glass is allergic to drops and falls.

groberts1980 wrote:Your phone dropped from countertop height in an OtterBox and it broke the screen? That's hard to believe. I don't like OtterBox personally, I think they're too bulky. But for normal everyday drops they tend to work very well.

If I was interested in waterproofing I'd go with LifeProof. Much thinner cases. You can still put one in your pocket using a LifeProof case. Not so much in an OtterBox.