zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Your Choice: Philips LED HDTV w/ NetTV
Price: $159.99 - 319.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Monday, Mar 10 to Thursday, Mar 13) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

Here is the product page for the 40"
Target has some user reviews

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3290 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out the product page for the 40", the 39", the 32" and the 29"

and

Check out what cnet says about the 40"

Good reviews (3.5 out of 5.0) on the 39" over at walmart.com

Solid reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) on the 29" over at walmart.com

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

I'm surprised that a difference of 7" -- 32" to 39" -- is $100. With most models, the difference is only $50 or so, even with the difference in pixels (720p vs 1080p).

Worse, 1" -- from 39" to 40" -- costs $40. I see no real differences between the two models other than 1" and abit more contrast. One has MediaConnect and the other has WirelessConnect, but the difference isn't explained.

spummerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spummerr

Old model 2011 I wouldn't waste my money on it.

verminator17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminator17
sdc100 wrote:I'm surprised that a difference of 7" -- 32" to 39" -- is $100. With most models, the difference is only $50 or so, even with the difference in pixels (720p vs 1080p).

Worse, 1" -- from 39" to 40" -- costs $40. I see no real differences between the two models other than 1" and abit more contrast. One has MediaConnect and the other has WirelessConnect, but the difference isn't explained.

Thank you. I was just thinking that there is no way I would pay $40 extra for one inch of television. Thank you for stating the difference.

Have a wonderful day & thank you again!!
Your fiend,
Vermin

sdc100

I've boycotted Phillips A/V equipment after their attempts to force people to watch commercials. Several years ago, they filed a patent for a device that disabled remote controls from fast forwarding through commercials. That's right, VCRs and DVD recorders (and Tivos?) would no longer be able to skip through ads. When news got out, consumers were p*ssed and they got threats of boycotts, etc. While this was only a patent, the thought that they'd even consider such a device is a real turnoff.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/04/6625.ars

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9011-invention-the-tvadvert-enforcer.html

jallen52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jallen52

"Old model snort snort snort! I'm still using a TUBE TV."

mmcdade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmcdade

They advertise the refresh rate at 120. Everywhere else it is 60. Cnet gave it a below par rating.

[MOD: 20Hz Perfect Motion Rate (PMR)]

carmelsmiths

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carmelsmiths

I have the 29. The smart tv functions are very slow to load. Pretty much only pandora is usable and that is if im willing to give it 5 minutes or so. I have a sony smart tv hanging basically on the other side of the wall that runs netflix/crackle/etc just fine. Id check reviews on amazon or cnet to see if others have this issue because you could be buying just a tv and not a smart tv

superspec

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superspec

does the 39" have a Prime app?

Tatts

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tatts
jallen52 wrote:"Old model snort snort snort! I'm still using a TUBE TV."

A friend of mine is bothered by the term "flat-screen TV". He thinks they should just be called TVs, since all TVs are now flat.

To differentiate, he proposes we call TVs like yours a "deep-screen TV".

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Tatts wrote:A friend of mine is bothered by the term "flat-screen TV". He thinks they should just be called TVs, since all TVs are now flat.

I have 2 "deep screen" TVs still. The one in my bedroom has built-in VCR & DVD players.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

trybalwings

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trybalwings
Tatts wrote: He thinks they should just be called TVs, since all TVs are now flat.

LoL, all tv's are indeed not any longer flat. There are new Curved screen parabolics that can change the viewer's perspective...and your friend's. ;)

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple

Thank you Woot for full transparency on the panel "native" refresh rate!

From the specs: (for all four TVs)
Refresh Rate: Native: 60Hz / 120Hz PMR

120Hz Perfect Motion Rate (PMR) does not mean the native display panel is 120Hz. It means they have applied processing to simulate a higher refresh rate.

Note that unless you are heavily into sports TV or gaming, you'll likely be happy with a 60 Hz refresh rate.

bluemaple

While all four TVs have VGA computer ports, in case you're considering using them as computer monitors, the 29 & 32 inch models are lower resolution. Especially for monitors this size you want at least 1920 x1080 (1080p/full HD) like on the 39 and 49 inch models.

dliidlii1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dliidlii1

New with warranty.
Walmart offers the Quasar 32" 720p LED LCD HD Television, model no. SQ3200, for $169 with free shipping. That's $30 off list and tied with our mention from last week as a low price for any 32" 720p LED LCD HDTV. It features 1366 x 768 (720p) resolution, USB, and three HDMI inputs.

guessiam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guessiam

Don't buy this, i bought this same item 3 weeks ago and it came all damaged. no instruction booklet, no batteries, etc. seems a good deal but you will waste your time...

thomassumner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thomassumner

Bought this for my wife about 4 months ago. There's a reason a 40 " Smart TV at this price seems too good to be true. The packaging was so bad, the UPS driver even waited and said I should look inspect it. The box was crushed in several places. It was "packed" with only 4, 1 cu. ft. blocks of styrofoam - 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I don't know how it survived. It's an incredible value but a recon. Now 1 speaker seems to be blown. You can do much better for a few dollars more.

RogerB

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RogerB
Tatts wrote:A friend of mine is bothered by the term "flat-screen TV". He thinks they should just be called TVs, since all TVs are now flat.

I think soon when many people have forgotten about the curved, tube screens, manufacturers will release curved LED screens that will become the rage. People will scramble to get rid of their ancient flat screen TVs to get the "new" style.

bluemaple

@RogerB, you mean like this?
New Curved Screen Samsung OLED TV

RogerB wrote:I think soon when many people have forgotten about the curved, tube screens, manufacturers will release curved LED screens that will become the rage. People will scramble to get rid of their ancient flat screen TVs to get the "new" style.

Gentech

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gentech
sdc100 wrote:I'm surprised that a difference of 7" -- 32" to 39" -- is $100. With most models, the difference is only $50 or so, even with the difference in pixels (720p vs 1080p).

Main differance Viewable: 40" 38.6" 31.5" 28.5"

dariawalton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dariawalton

Yep, our 1987 Zenith is getting a little flickery, it might be time to upgrade.

natronthemighty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natronthemighty
superspec wrote:does the 39" have a Prime app?

No, it doesn't, and carmelsmiths is right: It's slow as all ****. I've the got the 39". The TV by itself is fine but nothing impressive. Netflix functions, albeit slowly; YouTube is all but unusable; I haven't tried the other apps (there's a Roku in the next room that works way better). There is a function to stream from your computer, but the audio lags a lot.

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass

I don't think that "deep-screen" is gonna catch on, since we'll all just keep calling them tubes or CRTs.

I love bacon!

jazzmanwa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazzmanwa
carmelsmiths wrote:I have the 29. The smart tv functions are very slow to load. Pretty much only pandora is usable and that is if im willing to give it 5 minutes or so. I have a sony smart tv hanging basically on the other side of the wall that runs netflix/crackle/etc just fine. Id check reviews on amazon or cnet to see if others have this issue because you could be buying just a tv and not a smart tv

That is because they are made to be a TV first, and a marginal computer/app runner second. Most, if not all, TV's with these smart functions run the apps slow.

gadfly666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadfly666

I would not buy any more TVs from Woot. I bought 3 of these Philips TVs (39" and 40") a few month ago, 2 of them were badly damaged in shipping. They barely put any packing material in the boxes. Both TVs were broken on the upper corner, because only one piece of foam was put on the top. It took me over 2 weeks to get an email response from Woot to do RMA, and another 4 weeks to get FedEx to pick them up. After that, I received no response on any of the emails I sent to Woot asking about refund. In all, I wasted over 20 hours of my time, sent over 30 emails, and had to contact credit card company to reverse the payment. Woot customer service is non-existent. Do yourself a favor, and stick to buying cheap non-breakable stuff.

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389

heh the tube tv Im still using in my room was called a "flat screen" because it has the flat piece of glass over the curved tube lol

dakillabee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakillabee

I have mixed feelings about these TV's. Great for the price especially if your just watching OTA TV/Cable, great picture but be sure to get the SquareTrade warranty. You'll be in for a headache if there are any issues.

I used to love Philips products, they made the best DVD Players w/ USB Media Connect function, playing the most video formats flawlessly. I like the Media Connect feature on these TV's but they don't play as many formats as even the old DVD Players. The Net Apps are slooow and no frills. It doesn't even have Amazon Prime. It says 120hz but I couldn't find that info anywhere.

I first had a 26" (60hz) model that worked fine but the power supply blew up after 4 months.
I later got a 29", which came with no OS and was a nightmare waiting for Toow to get back to me about replacing it. Got it sorted out with Philips but this model will not connect to my WiFi because my password is not 5 or 13 characters long - not a problem on the 26".

When I'm watching my WDTV Media Player via HDMI the screen constantly blacks in and out. Have changed the HDMI cable, doesn't happen via AUX A/V connection nor on my Vizio, so the problem is with the HDMI connection. Sorting it out with Philips but the last I spoke to them they told me the TV doesn't support Media Players? Really? Currently they have me trouble shooting the HDMI with other devices. I've read online that the HDMI ports have fried some peoples devices/laptops even.

Tarantino

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tarantino

Same here. I see no reason to throw out a perfectly good TV.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
ThunderThighs wrote:I have 2 "deep screen" TVs still. The one in my bedroom has built-in VCR & DVD players.

Woot, I think someone needs a raise.

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

Something funny about that square trade warranty being offered. I just paid less than that for a 4-year warranty on a new 39-inch LG.

angel5958

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angel5958

Can anyone suggest me which is the best smart tv in 2014 i would like to buy it

sdc100

angel5958 wrote:Can anyone suggest me which is the best smart tv in 2014 i would like to buy it

Your best bet is to buy a quality Non-Smart TV and then plug in a SmartTV dongle (often through USB). These dongles cost about $50. The main advantage is that the dongles are flexible, i.e. you can move them from TV to TV, and more easily upgradable. In addition, there are many many more non-smart TVs than smart TVs so you have many more options -- including pricing. Another advantage is that many are based on Android, which allows you to use the thousands of Android apps.

For example, something like the below device. Be warned though, the below device has poor reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Android-Powered-Adapter-Wireless-N-Ports/dp/B009F1QBOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394084747&sr=8-2&keywords=smart+tv+usb

m6d2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m6d2000

Looks like a neat TV with built in apps, too bad mine arrived today with a mangled screen. The screen is busted with white lines traveling up from a baseball sized LEDless black blob on the bottom. Looks like it was slammed down on a hard surface. Does reconditioned actually mean just repackaged?