asciiforever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asciiforever
ztnewman wrote:This may be a silly question but is it possible to charge the battery while a device is plugged in and charging?

No, it doesn't allow that. When the battery pack itself is charging it will not output power to another device.

xtalviper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xtalviper
GreatJorge wrote:When you purchase this here, woot offers you an optional TWO YEAR warranty from Square Trade for $5.99 in the confirmation screen after checkout

Yeah, as long as you live in the right state...

david94085

quality posts: 0 Private Messages david94085

Someone posted earlier that it would not charge a Note 10.1. I have a Note 3, shouldn't be able to charge anything with an input? A Note 3?

thomas998

quality posts: 21 Private Messages thomas998

Would have been tempted if it worked on a first gen iPad... it would have been a cheaper way to keep the old iPad running as the internal batter is running close to end of its life cycle... still not sure why it would work for the iPad 2,3,4 but not 1.

jangirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jangirl

If this charges aniPhone 5S, will it work for a 5C? As far as I know, they're the same except for the fingerprint reader...

7ssvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 7ssvin
robbbbb wrote:The compatibility list leaves out the iPhone 4. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be compatible when the 3S and 4S are, but anybody know for sure?

It charges the 4s without a problem.

JonChu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonChu

Quick Question, should I buy this if I want to recharge a gopro Hero 3+ Black (1180mAh) in the field? I don't know if 16,800 mAh is excessive and if I should just buy something cheaper.

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple
JonChu wrote:Quick Question, should I buy this if I want to recharge a gopro Hero 3+ Black (1180mAh) in the field? I don't know if 16,800 mAh is excessive and if I should just buy something cheaper.

@JonChu, yes. If you need to recharge your GoPro 10+ times in the field. Otherwise it would be overkill unless you also need to charge a tablet, smartphone, etc...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Deeann202 wrote:Where is the extended warranty on the checkout?

It's on the sale's detail page UNLESS you're on some mobile devices. You may have to go to a non-mobile device to see the SquareTrade widget. You have 30 days (I think) to make the purchase.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fuzzybe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzybe

Will this work with an old Samsung Galaxcy S?

CtK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CtK
bluemaple wrote:Seems a bit surprising that Corning would not feel "Gorilla Gadgets" infringes on "Gorilla Glass" since they are both in the mobile device industry.

And it would not be surprising to see Corning license its excellent trademark for battery packs or other mobile products.

Not everyone is like crapple and needs to sue anything and everything possible!! lol

tonylello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonylello
emptimind wrote:So, I can buy this on Amazon for $59, get free prime 2-day shipping, and it has a year warranty; or I can spend $40 here, pay $5 for shipping, and get 90 days.

Curious if anyone has experience with these and know how long the battery is going to last?

I see this on Amazon for $69.99. Just sayin'

gwbaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gwbaker
zakzebrowski wrote:Has anyone tried running a raspberry pi off of this?

I have not, but given the 1 and 2 amp USB ports this should be more than enough to run the PI which needs somewhere around .7 amps.

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

mrdancer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrdancer

Can I get $10 off if you leave off all of the overpriced Apple connectors?

Remember back in the good ol' pre-iPhone days when you could just replace the battery in the phone? Wait, I CAN replace the battery in my smartphone!

I bought a charger pack (10000mAh) for $15 from Woot during the Black Friday woot-off, but they couldn't deliver. There were a LOT of angry wooters over that bad deal.

If you want a state-of-the-art battery pack, look up the Microstart XP-1 pack. About the same size as this, but it will also jump-start your car.

mjrauma

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mjrauma
JonChu wrote:Quick Question, should I buy this if I want to recharge a gopro Hero 3+ Black (1180mAh) in the field? I don't know if 16,800 mAh is excessive and if I should just buy something cheaper.

You don't need to "recharge" the Go Pro. Just plug it in and use it. I have recorded over 3 hours at a stretch using one of these and could go longer I'm sure if needed. You'll run out of card space before you drain the battery.

alancz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alancz
theimmc wrote:Battery is 16.8 Ah. Lithium cells are 3.7V, so that's 62 Wh. Power from USB is 5V @ 0.5A, which works out to be 2.5W. 62 / 2.5 is about 25 hours, assuming there's no loss, charging from completely drained. Assuming moderate loss from the voltage conversion and a 1A charger, 15 hours sounds about right.

You are correct in your calculations Not a long time for a SAFE Lithium-Ion charge
You can lower that time...have a fire extinguisher handy! New stuff is going to LiPo far lighter, no internal charge protection circuit (that's why LiIon are bigger) But they can be dangerous when charging (I use them in model Helicopters and they warn not to even leave the room when charging)

gwbaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gwbaker

I bought one of the Maxboost Pulse battery packs (10000 mAh) when they were on sellout. Just like this one but smaller size and capacity. It came with a nice little velvet carry bag.

I could always use another bigger pack. But, this one does not come with a carry bag for the cables, adapters, and pack. Quite a simple thing, but a deal killer for me.

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

msvaleriah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msvaleriah

I love mine. I chronically forget to charge either my cellphone or my kindle, or my iPod. This baby holds enough charge to keeping me connected when I get absent-minded. Enough capacity for two or three charges of any of them before it needs recharging itself. Great purchase for the money.

bluemaple

thomas998 wrote:Would have been tempted if it worked on a first gen iPad... it would have been a cheaper way to keep the old iPad running as the internal batter is running close to end of its life cycle... still not sure why it would work for the iPad 2,3,4 but not 1.

@thomas998, out of curiosity regarding Gorilla Gadget's customer responsiveness I emailed them asking your 1st gen iPad compatibility question. A few hours later came the following response:

"It is compatible with your original iPad.

We'll add this to our product page soon."

donshirtwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donshirtwoot

Here comes the official disclaimer on their product page (http://gorillagadgets.com/products/gorilla-gadgets-uhuru-16800mah-external-portable-battery-pack-charger-w-led-screen)

- iOS 7 Users: At no extra charge, we have included a lightning adapter for Apple users. To keep the price of Uhuru! reasonable, we cannot provide a MFi certified lightning adapter. However, our third-party lightning adapter works with all iOS 7 updates so far (through iOS 7.0.6). You should be aware that third-party ‘lightning’ adapters may fail to work with the future iOS updates. In that case, you will need to use the lightning cable supplied to you with your device, or purchase a backup spare cable or adapter at your local Apple store.

Jairoulle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jairoulle

Thoughts about when a device like this is needed? Power blackouts are one, but normally one can use residence, office or automobile power. Just not feeling the necessity, but lots of you Wooters are using them. Thanks.

tondeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tondeb

I have no experience with this device and I'm impressed with what they can make nowadays and I have no way to say or see how they are made. All I'm thinking is when I look at the specs is " That's a lot of energy in a very small package" The thought I want to implant in your heads is this. *If* something where to make it release that energy in a short period of time I would not like to be around. I don't know what that would be and I know there are safeguards built in those things. It can be argued since accidents with batteries are not very common it's probably safe to very safe. Still the thought remains because I saw a NiCad battery that had split open with jagged metal edges and all in a display window of a store long long time ago with the a note on it that said " This is what happens if you don't properly charge your batteries". I looked at those jagged edges and I figure my skin was a lot easier to cut than the metal encasing. Just be careful when you are around high density energy packs whether they are gas cans, cell phones or battery packs. I know that are people out there drilling holes in them but even without drilling.

josephf31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josephf31
bluemaple wrote:Seems a bit surprising that Corning would not feel "Gorilla Gadgets" infringes on "Gorilla Glass" since they are both in the mobile device industry.

And it would not be surprising to see Corning license its excellent trademark for battery packs or other mobile products.

What are you a lawyer looking for a lawsuit? Society is litigious enough already.

haleroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haleroth

I'm in! Additionally, re the flashlight: I think I can cover it with a red filter and use it in my airplane, thereby not being detrimental to my night vision.
www.DistinctiveViews.printroom.com

ashkebird

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashkebird

For those who want a battery that HOLDS its charge, especially for months at a time, look for a Lithium-Polymer battery. The Lithium ion batteries are much cheaper, but they simply don't hold a charge for months or even weeks.

Also, (in both cases,) once you begin to use the battery, (say you charge 1 phone out of a 12000mAh battery, so its now only partially charged,) a trickle effect (that's how its been described to me,) starts to drain any remaining charge and the battery will not hold the remaining charge the length of time it would hold a full charge. The draining effect speeds up. A lithium polymer usually does this to a lesser degree than lithium ion, but both types do it.

Hold out for lithium-polymer, imo, especially if being used as a "rarely used emergency back up." Check it monthly and top up as needed.

Also, for those storing batteries in cars, the fluctuating heat and high temps that can occur in a car (and ice cold lows,) can definitely damage all types of battery packs, so personally I recommend disposables and a charger that uses cheap disposables.

samhainguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samhainguy
robbbbb wrote:The compatibility list leaves out the iPhone 4. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be compatible when the 3S and 4S are, but anybody know for sure?

I have 2 of them and they work great on my 4S...

lroller

quality posts: 14 Private Messages lroller

You can relax. I checked. God has the patent/copyright on the use of the term gorilla.

lroller

quality posts: 14 Private Messages lroller
samhainguy wrote:I have 2 of them and they work great on my 4S...

What am I missing here???

Compatible Models:

Apple: iPhone 5s / iPhone 5c / iPhone 5 / iPad 4 / iPad Mini (Lightning adapter included) / iPhone 4S / iPhone 4 / iPhone 3GS/ ipod touch / classic / nano / iPad 2 / iPad 3

bluemaple

josephf31 wrote:What are you a lawyer looking for a lawsuit? Society is litigious enough already.

@josephf31, no, but I did work for a company whose General Counsel was alert to others trading on the good name of the company that had invested a great deal of effort and money in establishing their brand.

BTW, I happen to agree America is far too litigious, however far more cost to society originates in slip & fall, frivolous class actions, and frivolous medical malpractice actions than from company to company trademark lawsuits.

reinard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reinard
RonnyBoy wrote:Bought one of these a while back. These packs take a long, long time to charge. Use the pack when traveling and find out I generally don't stay that long in any place for it to be fully charged. Yes, I can still use it if it's not fully charged, but there's the nagging thought that I should have gotten it fully charged before I trek off somewhere else. Also, attempted to use this to run a GPS that I couldn't plug into a rental car's cigarette lighter receptacle. The battery pack's output wasn't strong enough to power the GPS, even when the pack was fully charged. Found the LED light function helpful when needed. Carry it around for emergencies for charging spent cellphones.

I've found that it's important to use the right port for the right device. Port 1 only outputs 1 amp. Port 2 outputs 2.1 amps, but only if nothing is plugged in port 1. (Sorry if i mixed them up, but i'm pretty sure that's how mine works) You can always verify you're outputting the power you want on the screen though which is nice.

ThunderThighs

Staff

lroller wrote:What am I missing here???

Compatible Models:

Apple: iPhone 5s / iPhone 5c / iPhone 5 / iPad 4 / iPad Mini (Lightning adapter included) / iPhone 4S / iPhone 4 / iPhone 3GS/ ipod touch / classic / nano / iPad 2 / iPad 3

The specs were updated this morning. It's all cool.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all!

A couple updates.

WARRANTY: We're updating the warranty to 180 days to match the Gorilla site. YAY!

iOS 7 Users: A lightning adapter is included for Apple users. However, we do not provide a MFi certified lightning adapter. The provided third-party lightning adapter works with all iOS 7 updates so far (through iOS 7.0.6). You should be aware that third-party ‘lightning’ adapters may fail to work with the future iOS updates. In that case, you will need to use the lightning cable supplied with your device, or purchase a backup spare cable or adapter at your local Apple store.

Khu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Khu
Jairoulle wrote:Thoughts about when a device like this is needed? Power blackouts are one, but normally one can use residence, office or automobile power. Just not feeling the necessity, but lots of you Wooters are using them. Thanks.

Living in Austin, we have -- as Dana Carvey says -- a Festival every weekend. Although places like ACL and SXSW may have charging stations, this is great for keeping a charge without having to take a side trip.

This is also good for flights if you haven't sprung for business or 1st class and want to keep your tablet or E-reader going. Unless my employer upgrades, I usually fly coach. I'm a Wooter after all...

I will also use this for mountain biking and short camping trips as well as dropping it in my camera bag for photowalks so I can keep my mp3 player and phone charged.

This is going to be great at the crawfish boil this year and I will be keeping my phone, bluetooth speaker, and mp3 player going all day while we swim and kayak at the creek.

But...if you are constantly near a wall outlet or don't ever really have problems running out of power, this probably isn't really needed.

fuzzybe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzybe

So, I have this old Samsung Galaxy "S". Does anyone know if it works on that phone?

Disconnect

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Disconnect
GreatJorge wrote:When you purchase this here, woot offers you an optional TWO YEAR warranty from Square Trade for $5.99 in the confirmation screen after checkout

I checked out on mobile, got no offer Anyone got a link?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Disconnect wrote:I checked out on mobile, got no offer Anyone got a link?

It's still there on the sale's detail page. Just go to a non-mobile device. I think you have up to 30 days to register the item with them but check SQTR site to confirm that.

Disconnect

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Disconnect
ThunderThighs wrote:It's still there on the sale's detail page. Just go to a non-mobile device. I think you have up to 30 days to register the item with them but check SQTR site to confirm that.

Oh man, it keeps linking to an http site with a flash app that begs for my credit card number. (Even forcing it to https didn't work.)

But I'm just "one step away from protecting your Miscellaneous for 2 years". So that is something.

At least on the normal squaretrade site it lets me log in, and provides evidence it is real by populating my address/etc.

Think I'm gonna go through squaretrade.com directly. Sorry woot, no referral payout because Where's The Hoop?..

westsidesonic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages westsidesonic

Wow, that's a ton of power storage there. Too bad this device is not made for the outdoors also.

Khal33s1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Khal33s1

My question was this. I thought I was purchasing this New. Not "like new" mine came in a beat all to heck box and the device itself has the worst scratches all over the screen. I can still see the numbers though. I just wanted to know if I missed something in the description or should I send it back before I use it? I paid for express shipping and I don't necessarily mind the scratches and really need to start using it as my car charger stopped working and this was waaay cheaper than fixing that. Will return if it was a mistake just want to make sure it was my error not woot.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Khal33s1 wrote:My question was this. I thought I was purchasing this New. Not "like new" mine came in a beat all to heck box and the device itself has the worst scratches all over the screen. I can still see the numbers though. I just wanted to know if I missed something in the description or should I send it back before I use it? I paid for express shipping and I don't necessarily mind the scratches and really need to start using it as my car charger stopped working and this was waaay cheaper than fixing that. Will return if it was a mistake just want to make sure it was my error not woot.

Yes, it was supposed to be new. It's possible the box could be scratched but the item should be new and working.

Please feel free to email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

In this case, they will probably ask for a photo so just to save time, go ahead and send one or a link to an image (e.g. imgur.com).

UPDATE: See my post on the next page about the packaging.