zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

HP 17.3" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Laptop
Price: $679.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Mar 26 to Monday, Mar 31) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/23/2014 - $679.99 - 49 comment(s)
1/22/2014 - $699.99 - 25 comment(s)
10/26/2013 - $699.99 - 24 comment(s)

1/24/2014 - $699.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and TONS of very good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

YoYo603

quality posts: 1 Private Messages YoYo603

Hey, it's a computer.

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

I want one of those shirts that has the 'I want one!" on the sleeve, as depicted on this product.

WOOT, YOU MUST DELIVER!

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee
Boxymoron wrote:I want one of those shirts that has the 'I want one!" on the sleeve, as depicted on this product.

WOOT, YOU MUST DELIVER!

Seconded

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

Touchscreens may seem superfluous but to really get the most out of Windows 8 (and not hate it) you really do need an integrated touchscreen.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

cliffgun1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cliffgun1

Saying that, there really is no reason to have Win 8 if you do not have a touch screen.

tolgabalci

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tolgabalci

It is so frustrating to see all the large screen 17.3" laptops with low crappy 1080p resolution, when there is a slew of really high resolution (much higher than 1080p) laptops with 13/14/15" displays. Even 4K on some of them.

I've been searching for a good 17.3 laptop for the last 3 years! And they all get this crappy 1080p resolution. Which I guess it's fine if you are watching movies, but hellooo.... Who does that on their laptops? (at least on a regular basis) I'm a coder and I need screen real estate.

I'm dying for a 3K or 4K 17.3" display laptop.

TweeWoot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TweeWoot

That floating arm just creeps me out!

slick deals

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slick deals

Not surprised it's $100 for 9 months more warranty.

wiseguy1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wiseguy1

Would changing to DDr3l make any sense?

lisa928

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lisa928

I bought this last month and I an very happy with it. This version of the touchpad is a little hard to get used to though. It is like a floating plate that clicks when you press it. The older model had a stationary pad with 2 buttons.

nabutu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nabutu
lisa928 wrote:I bought this last month and I an very happy with it. This version of the touchpad is a little hard to get used to though. It is like a floating plate that clicks when you press it. The older model had a stationary pad with 2 buttons.

Seconded. But I use a Logitech Trackball M570 with all my laptops, so not a deal breaker. And I'd prefer higher screen res. But at this price, that can wait another few years.

They don't tell you in the specs, but this guy has a bay for a second HD. D/L the service guide and find the part no for a "HDD Kit" for the cable and caddy.

mikewrfc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikewrfc
nabutu wrote:

They don't tell you in the specs, but this guy has a bay for a second HD. D/L the service guide and find the part no for a "HDD Kit" for the cable and caddy.

The HD at this price would be for me too. Is there any way to use this to set up some type of fusion drive type of SSD caching in windows (natively and non app dependent) I don't think I would by anything now that does not have an SSD working upfront. It is such a huge difference in performance

zippy_the_pinhead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zippy_the_pinhead

Too bad I can't get it without an OS. Would be a sweet Linux machine. Anybody know if there's a way to not have to pay for Windows 8 if you have no plans to use it?

PH

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090

The thing that is annoying about this HP is that they put a 2nd HD bay in, but you have to buy a cable and a bracket for it. The Toshiba P75-A7200 I bought from woot (early Jan) had similar specs, was only $550 and the 2nd HD bay was already set-up to install another HD. The core I7-4700MQ is a great prcessor.

marcgr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marcgr
wiseguy1 wrote:Would changing to DDr3l make any sense?

It already ships with DDR3L - check HP's specs on this machine at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03895146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

I bought the similar m7-j010dx in October and was very happy with it. One thing to note, a 17.3" laptop is BIG, be prepared.

Regarding the memory choices, I actually blogged on this a while ago: http://blogs.synopsys.com/committedtomemory/2014/01/10/when-is-lpddr3-not-lpddr3-when-its-ddr3l/

extremusmaximus

quality posts: 14 Private Messages extremusmaximus
lisa928 wrote:I bought this last month and I an very happy with it. This version of the touchpad is a little hard to get used to though. It is like a floating plate that clicks when you press it. The older model had a stationary pad with 2 buttons.

As a Mac user, I also dislike that type of touchpad. Maybe they used a lesser trackpad because HP assumed users would be employing the touch screen mostly. I am considering this unit for a Hackintosh project but this issue alone could be a show stopper. Time to visit BestBuy to try it out. Anyone else have this in mind???

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
tolgabalci wrote:...low crappy 1080p resolution

Calling 1920x1080 "low crappy... resolution" is so 2015. Today, low crappy is 1366x768 or so.

IMHO, if you need all that screen real-estate, get a real monitor (or two). It's not like you're going to carry a 17.3" laptop around in your back pocket everywhere you go anyway, and for occasional mobile use or travel 1080p is perfectly usable even if not ideal.
If you find a latest-gen i7 laptop in (or even anywhere near) this price range with an ~4k resolution touch screen, that isn't stolen, by all means buy it.

nrm7t3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nrm7t3

how hard would it be to upgrade the graphics card on this thing? i'm a mechanical engineer with pretty good technical experience.. just haven't messed with laptops before (some desktop tinkering)

kmartind

nrm7t3 wrote:how hard would it be to upgrade the graphics card on this thing? i'm a mechanical engineer with pretty good technical experience.. just haven't messed with laptops before (some desktop tinkering)

Whether or not it's even possible depends heavily on the model and manufacturer. From a quick search it looks like there was a variation of this model that could be ordered with up to a GeForce 750M, but it appears to have used a different motherboard part number (based on parts list in the service guide on HP's web site). That probably means you'd have to replace the motherboard (and possibly another related part or two), which is usually $200+ for the part, minus whatever you could get for selling the existing motherboard. On most laptops, replacing the motherboard means completely gutting the entire unit (carefully).

So in summary: "pretty hard."

Intel HD 4600 is actually fairly decent though.

gigafunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gigafunk
mikewrfc wrote:The HD at this price would be for me too. Is there any way to use this to set up some type of fusion drive type of SSD caching in windows (natively and non app dependent) I don't think I would by anything now that does not have an SSD working upfront. It is such a huge difference in performance

Sure, if you got the HD kit and a sad drive you could just install windows on it and use the terabyte drive for storage. That may involve making restore DVDs before installing or finding a windows install DVD you could use with your key..

Thinking about getting this and that's my plan.

beezdad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beezdad

Don't know a lot about windows Eight. Because this laptop is touchscreen, does that mean I can't use my mouse or pad controlls?

dkaysen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkaysen

Does anyone know if the touchscreen supports a stylus? Is a stylus available?

kmartind

beezdad wrote:Don't know a lot about windows Eight. Because this laptop is touchscreen, does that mean I can't use my mouse or pad controlls?

You can use either a mouse or the touch screen or both. The "Metro" start screen is more touch-oriented but also works fine with a mouse and the "Desktop" screen is more mouse-oriented but can also be navigated with a touch screen.

dkaysen wrote:Does anyone know if the touchscreen supports a stylus? Is a stylus available?

It's a normal capacitive touch screen like on most tablets or smart phones so any capacitive stylus (most any brand) should work if desired. If you want an HP-branded one they have some on their web site, for example:
http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Accessories/Tablet-specialty-products/E7U18AA
http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Accessories/Tablet-specialty-products/E7U19AA

bakerbarber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakerbarber

mine arrived today!!

so far so awesome!!