zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Your Choice of Samsung Tab 3 Tablets
Price: $129.99 - 249.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Friday, Mar 28 to Wednesday, Apr 02) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

Dual-core is dead.

You need quad, and graphics hardware to keep up today.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page for the GT-P5210, the SM-T3150 and the SM-T210

lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

itzspeldrong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages itzspeldrong
HughHemington wrote:Dual-core is dead.

I mean, since most mobile apps today aren't coded to use the 4 cores, your statement leads me to believe that you are quite misinformed.

I'm glad to see most new devices now have the 4 cores, for this allows developers to produce apps that utilize this extra power, but these apps are not currently very prevalent.

I won't even touch your statement about "graphics hardware," as if this tablet doesn't have hardware to produce the graphics on the display. :/

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Er... no. You don't. Well, you do need graphics hardware, but as long as your tablet comes with a display chances are the manufacturer thought about including it with your purchase.

mikeeyram

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeeyram

Not the best deal for the 7in atleast and you can't pick a color, only white.

I got the 7in for less than $100, December 2nd and it was new.

They want $30 more now and its not new.

cedaroo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages cedaroo

Has anyone updated the 7" or 8" to 4.3 yet? If so is "restricted profiles" enabled?

I'd like one of these for my kids but I need multi-user which Samsung seems to have disabled with 4.2.

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry! My quick search showed that 4.3 was out but I see now that it's an unofficial/non-oem ROM called "SlimBean".

Ezzzzy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ezzzzy1

Unless this is for your 4 year old....

brsdg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brsdg

Not a great deal for refurb.

You can get at the galaxy nexus 10.1, but much much better specs for $299.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281294030170

Also dual core but 32 g memory and much better screen, better camera, More system memory (ie nexus has 2gb, this only has one), faster processor, etc. It is also NEW, NEW, NEW.

I would pay a little more for NEW, faster processor, better screen, better camera, etc.

but others would rather save money.. nothing wrong with that

brsdg

Ezzzzy1 wrote:Unless this is for your 4 year old....

Wow, if your willing to buy this for your 4 yo, can you adopt me????

Giving a $200 piece of glass to a 4 yo, is awfully generous... you must be much richer than I.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako

Only $200... and the Tab 3s might (unofficially) be getting multi-window support. (They are in early beta now.)

The hardware is a little outdated. A year-old dual-core Atom 32-bit processor isn't bad, but only a single GB of RAM?

The machine does support Windows and Linux, but again, with just a 32-bit Cloverfield Atom and 1 GB of RAM, things are... limited. My backup PC is an old dual-core that only had 1 GB of RAM; once I had 2, I couldn't look back.

alextse

quality posts: 23 Private Messages alextse
brsdg wrote:Wow, if your willing to buy this for your 4 yo, can you adopt me????

Giving a $200 piece of glass to a 4 yo, is awfully generous... you must be much richer than I.

I got a used 32GB Asus TF300 for my 2.5 year old (at the time). Worked great until his grandmother broke it and then we replaced it with an identical one just recently (now he's almost 4).

So the morals of the story are:
1) Teach kids not break things
2) Put a protective cover on it just in case!
3) Cheap, old tech is perfect for kids.
4) Grandmas are dangerous.

brsdg

alextse wrote:I got a used 32GB Asus TF300 for my 2.5 year old (at the time). Worked great until his grandmother broke it and then we replaced it with an identical one just recently (now he's almost 4).

tooo funny...

But I have found that 4 yo are much stronger and can throw things a lot farther than a 2.5 yo... but you are absolutely right about the rest.

Still, for about $80 you can get a much better tablet, and it is in new condition. ..

Refurb is OK for a backup or second device...(or for kids or grandma) but for many of us an additional $80 for something that is in new condition.. and faster and better in every respect.. is a price I would gladly pay.

brsdg

Not necessarily true. The galaxy Nexus 10 is "only" dual core, but it out performs the quad core tegra processor in every way.

you have to balance number of cores along with processor speed and architecture.

I would prefer a speedy new dual core for an older generation quad core anyday

KevOKC

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KevOKC

Totally agree. Make sure you get a powerful graphics engine and you'll be happy and able to run everything new out for a long time.

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

We have a 7" Tab 2. Bought it here awhile back for my BF. He loaded up 2 birding guides and happily carries it while out in the field birding. Weighs nothing and is plenty fast for reference books, music and movies while traveling, SiriusXM while working in the garage, and looking up stuff in the kitchen. Having a microSD slot is awesome. This tab is plenty fast, has great battery life and a nice bright screen. Not sure why everyone feels the need to bash.

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

I hope no one is considering this or any other tablet for a toddler. Playing with tablets instead of real toys greatly hinder their development of spatial awareness and shorten their attention span. These are not babysitters or pacifiers. Don't be lazy parents. Your kids deserve better parenting.

I am not responsible for this post.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

Before you make a statement you should know what you are talking about. There are definitely quad core processors out there that get smoked by dual cores- depending on who makes the processor and what architecture they are using. Most new processors are SOC (system on a chip) the gpu are included as part of the chip- you don't have a distinct graphics chip.

see this review: http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-10-1-inch-white/2/

This will show you 1)the dual core atom and dual core exynos 5 both outperform the exynos 4 quad core 2)all of those are SOC and it tells you what graphics cores they have built in 3) Galaxy Tab 3 wasn't all that impressive to the reviewer

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

We have a Tab 3 and a Tab 2. We like them both. The Tab 3 design was nicely cleaned up.

They might not be screamers, but they feel solid and function perfectly fine for average use.

For screen size cogitators... we have both 7 inch and 10/11 inch tablets. For everyday use, 10 is great. And while 7 is easier to lug around, the screen feels just a bit too cramped sometimes. If we were to do it again we'd go with 8 inch - just right for compact use.

Note that while great deals can often be found on the 7 inch Tab 3, the 8 inch version is harder to find at a deal - therefore, this $159.99 Woot price is a better value than the 7 inch $129.99 Woot price.

bluemaple

@mikeeyram, wow, less than $100? Great price - where was it? We watched pretty closely for Tab 3 7 inchers around the holidays and the best we found was $129 new, delivered.

mikeeyram wrote:Not the best deal for the 7in atleast and you can't pick a color, only white.

I got the 7in for less than $100, December 2nd and it was new.

They want $30 more now and its not new.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 12 Private Messages billthegunowner

If it doesn't come with a least a 1-year warranty, I don't buy it. There is a reason for only 90 days.....

Bill

gak0090

bluemaple wrote:@mikeeyram, wow, less than $100? Great price - where was it? We watched pretty closely for Tab 3 7 inchers around the holidays and the best we found was $129 new, delivered.

The 7 inch is only 1024x600 resolution. You could find a Nook HD for <$100 and it's 1440x900

bluemaple

gak0090 wrote:The 7 inch is only 1024x600 resolution. You could find a Nook HD for <$100 and it's 1440x900

@gak0090, wasn't interested in stranded (or semi-proprietary interfaces or rooting) hardware since it was for use on a 1 year+ foray to China - didn't Barnes & Noble drop tablets? Not a fan of rooting in any case.

Seems like, as with dear and wonderful Borders, B&N itself is not long for this world.

docbiohazard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages docbiohazard
clanecks wrote:Playing with tablets instead of real toys greatly hinder their development of spatial awareness and shorten their attention span.

[citation needed]

sflesch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sflesch
cedaroo wrote:Has anyone updated the 7" or 8" to 4.3 yet? If so is "restricted profiles" enabled?

I'd like one of these for my kids but I need multi-user which Samsung seems to have disabled with 4.2.

Thanks!

Have you looked at Zoodles KidsMode? I use it for my 6 and 2-1/2 year olds.

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

DrJ48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DrJ48

Thanks for your evaluation. My tab was getting a bit flaky. I saw the Ebay deal last night and asked my IT friend what he thought of it. He is a Wooter and told me, the Ebay Samsung Google Nexus 10" 32GB, "It is a nice tablet and a very good price (there are refurb'd ones selling for more)." agreeing with you. Ergo, just purchased one and will use my WiFi keyboard if I need such. Again, my thanks for your parallel positive review. Dr.J

brsdg wrote:Not a great deal for refurb.

You can get at the galaxy nexus 10.1, but much much better specs for $299.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281294030170

Also dual core but 32 g memory and much better screen, better camera, More system memory (ie nexus has 2gb, this only has one), faster processor, etc. It is also NEW, NEW, NEW.

I would pay a little more for NEW, faster processor, better screen, better camera, etc.

but others would rather save money.. nothing wrong with that

coctyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coctyle

I would use this primarily as a home theater remote control using Touchsquid (not the dreadful Peel app). It looks like the 8" has the IR on the side and the 7" has it on the top (both referring to portrait orientation). Is that correct?

By the way, the IR is a frequently ignored feature of these tabs. I can't understand why all tablets don't have IR.

gak0090

bluemaple wrote:@gak0090, wasn't interested in stranded (or semi-proprietary interfaces or rooting) hardware since it was for use on a 1 year+ foray to China - didn't Barnes & Noble drop tablets? Not a fan of rooting in any case.

Seems like, as with dear and wonderful Borders, B&N itself is not long for this world.

Even if you don't root it, it's running a skinned version of Android 4.1, it has play store now (without root), add a new launcher and you have a regular Android tablet. This is a nice piece of hardware. As far as dropping support - they have not discontinued these.

http://www.gizmag.com/nook-tablets-not-discontinued/28766/

You will not find an equivalent tablet with the specs of the Nook HD- near that price.

sflesch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sflesch

@bluemaple (Having trouble trying to quote)

They are still selling the HD & HD+ for decent prices. They originally said they were going to leave the tablet business, but then took that back. They have yet to release anything new though.

As far as rooting, the HD & HD+ both come with Google Play, so not much necessity to root those now.

The color and tablet don't come with Google Play, so you would need to root those in some form, but it CyanogenMod actually runs better on those when installed directly on the device than the stock anyway.

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

mykelalvis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mykelalvis
alextse wrote:I got a used 32GB Asus TF300 for my 2.5 year old (at the time). Worked great until his grandmother broke it and then we replaced it with an identical one just recently (now he's almost 4).

Ninja-grandmas...doubly dangerous

roboballs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roboballs

This should be a slam dunk question, but I need to be sure -- the 10.1 would support screenshots and sideloading, right?

marlonurias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marlonurias

Look up Kids Shell. It's the best app for limiting what apps a kid can use. Even prevents in-app purchases

cedaroo wrote:Has anyone updated the 7" or 8" to 4.3 yet? If so is "restricted profiles" enabled?

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry! My quick search showed that 4.3 was out but I see now that it's an unofficial/non-oem ROM called "SlimBean".

3eyore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 3eyore

Do any of these have GPS receivers? It doesn't seem so from the descriptions.

Sbahr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sbahr1

Samsung Galaxy's are crap! If you let the battery go dead they will no longer work! Google this issue. I found this out after taking a vacation and coming home to a black screen and unable to turn on. I have opened the case and restarted the battery to no avail. Will take sending it back to the factory which I guess is why they are now being offered as reconditioned. Love Woot. Hate the Galaxy!

bluemaple

3eyore wrote:Do any of these have GPS receivers? It doesn't seem so from the descriptions.

@3eyore, I believe all Tab 3's have GPS, but the following Tab 3 7 inch spec sheet confirms it on that model:

Samsung Tab 3 7 Inch Spec Sheet

bluemaple

gak0090 wrote:Even if you don't root it, it's running a skinned version of Android 4.1, it has play store now (without root), add a new launcher and you have a regular Android tablet. This is a nice piece of hardware. As far as dropping support - they have not discontinued these.

http://www.gizmag.com/nook-tablets-not-discontinued/28766/

You will not find an equivalent tablet with the specs of the Nook HD- near that price.

@gak0090, agreed, the Tab 3 - 7 screen rez is not wonderful, but it works fine the way we use it. Alternatives are a good thing - but after a closer look at the Nook, it could have full 1920x1080 resolution and still fail for us.

1) Nook has no cameras. Tab 3 has front and back cameras. We Skype (China mention above). We also use the back camera as a document grabber for other apps.

2) Nook looks a bit clunky. It is over 0.60 inches wider (5 in vs 4.37 in). The Tab 3 is a nice clean, thin design.

3) Nook has only an Accelerometer vs. Tab 3 Accelerometer + GPS + IR.

4) Not so sure what the manufacturer Android version update chances are for the Nook, but Samsung has announced KitKat 4.4 for the Tab 3's.

Wundt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wundt

Completely agree. I bought 2 first gen Kindle Fires for my 6 and 7 year olds. Bought heavy duty covers and we are going on two years with no breakage and significant abuse. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny.

On a related note, I have the Samsung Note 10.1 and love it. I love it so much, I bought a second for my college aged daughter and a 8" version for my wife. If and when the younger kids' Kindles break, I will likely buy the Samsung kid's tablet for them.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871
Sbahr1 wrote:Samsung Galaxy's are crap! If you let the battery go dead they will no longer work! Google this issue. I found this out after taking a vacation and coming home to a black screen and unable to turn on. I have opened the case and restarted the battery to no avail. Will take sending it back to the factory which I guess is why they are now being offered as reconditioned. Love Woot. Hate the Galaxy!

Could you be more specific? Samsung Galaxy applies to like 40 products if not more. My Samsung Galaxy S Captivate , like 4 years old, is still stock and runs great and I'm really impressed how well the single core cpu and 512mb ram keep up with the overdone apps these days.
However, if you found a particular product that isn't up to snuff, it would be nice of you to share it with us.