HMroczkowski

quality posts: 3 Private Messages HMroczkowski

Got my w00t, RioForge 256 today, (Houston...one week for a 5 hour drive) and it looks OK except for a couple scratches on the front chrome.

Functionally, it's better than the lyra512 or the truly mp310 on how it handles tags, bookmarks, display, battery life et. al.

BTW: a 2GB memory card works!

RESPAWN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RESPAWN

Woot! Got mine today. I'm at work so I can't test it out until I get home later today, but it looks OK cosmetically. The chrome on the belt clip shows a little wear, but anything beats my old Nomad IIc that likes to lock up when it takes a hard enough jolt and looks like it was run over by a 747.

I also picked up two 512MB SD cards for $20AR at circuit city yesterday. Check out Passwird's site if anybody is still interested in that deal. I thought about holding out for a good deal on a 1GB card, but I decided the 512 would suit my needs better since I need a new SD card for my camera as well. Either way, this is still 628MB more than my IIc.

tortuga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tortuga
bobalooza wrote:

Not quite, at least in my case. I received mine today and it was ridden hard and put away wet. I think the guy dropped it while he was riding his bike. That led to it being run over by a garbage truck which pissed the owner off so much that he kicked it a few times.

Well, maybe not that bad, but it is rather scuffed and obviously well used. It is definitely in too bad of physical condition to give to my daughter as a gift. I guess I can always say, "Look what I found laying in the street. Do you want it?"

No more refurb (rox0rz!) woots for me.

Got mine yesterday, and mine really does look like that. The battery cover doesn't latch securely and the case looks really bad. It must have a new window, because it's nice and clean, a stark contrast to the rest of the unit. I know refrb is a gamble, but last woot-off I got a universal power supply that was listed as new, and it looks almost as bad as the Rio. This is the fourth item that has induced instant buyer's remorse as soon as I look in the box. Going one step further and saying no more Woot! for me. Awaiting delivery of final woot-off item, so one more chance to be disappointed...

Wanago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wanago

A+ woot
Got mine today. Worked great out of the box had some marks on the back cover but the face was brand new with protective plastics and everything. The software is pretty good and the FM signal was much better than I would have guessed. Headphones are a little funky but very light and sound fine.

Now I got sell my motorola on ebay.

ahorter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahorter

Mine came today! My excitement was short lived. I opened the box and realize now that I will never-EVER by anything refurbished again. The front and back are very scratched, the forward advance button is almost scrached off (looks as if somone slid it across a cement floor). I am so disapointed! I got this for a friend of mine who wanted an MP3 player, and since she just graduated grad school and is finishing her thesis, couldn't really afford one. I hope it atleast works better than it looks!

jeffrapp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffrapp

Just came this afternoon via FedEx. First woot and my initial thoughts: Yikes! This thing looks like someone took a belt sander to it before sticking it in the box, yet still managed to put on the protective plastic clingy thing. I buy refubs all the time, and never have I seen anything quite like this! Even my previous 2 refurbed eBay found Rio's haven't looked like this - actually pristine in comparison. I almost bought one of these for fathers day, too. Glad I didn't - that'd make me one really bad son .

Good luck to everyone else.

maripenny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maripenny

Mine actually looks pretty good - a few scratches on the chrome, but that's about it. So far, it's working well.

Dragonsbane2004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dragonsbane2004

I got mine and it must be a pristiene player comparied to your guy's. It has on small scuff on the rubber on the back. Everyting else is perfect.

CopperPenny5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CopperPenny5

This is my first Woot! and I must say, I lucked out. This thing looks brand new and plays beautifully. But, after reading some of the horrror stories regarding refurbs, I'm going to stear clear of them from now on.

CopperPenny5

Argh. Double post. Sorry.

bruceb28

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bruceb28
Dragonsbane2004 wrote:I got mine and it must be a pristiene player comparied to your guy's. It has on small scuff on the rubber on the back. Everyting else is perfect.

Same with mine - the only scuff marks appear on the rubberized portions on the back and battery compartment door. Haven't tried it out yet, though.

hkeller812

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hkeller812

Got mine yesterday -- plays a lot better than I thought it would, and found it was really easy to get music downloaded to it. Still had the cling on the screen, so I'm guessing it's new. The only think that might be missing is a cover for the USB port, but if that's all, I'll consider myself as having really lucked out!

Stupid question: Can you load music onto the external SD card while it's in the player or do you have to download songs onto the card via a reader and then put it in the Rio?

CopperPenny5

hkeller812 wrote:The only think that might be missing is a cover for the USB port, but if that's all, I'll consider myself as having really lucked out!

Stupid question: Can you load music onto the external SD card while it's in the player or do you have to download songs onto the card via a reader and then put it in the Rio?

My player doesn't have a cover for the USB port, either. So many that's just the way it's made?

As far as loading music, I did it with the card in the player. I just copied the files from my C drive to the drive that represents the card on my computer.

djmdenver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djmdenver

Mine worked great... once.

Now the computer calls it an Unknown Device!
Seems like when I put it into a new usb port, it recognizes it for like 5 seconds, then some malfunction occurs with the drivers...

Any hints on what to try to get this to work again?

EDIT:
I tried another usb cable (one from my digital camera) and it's working fine now! I must have just recieved a crappy usb cord. PHEW!

rsfish1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsfish1
hkeller812 wrote:

This is my 3rd Rio from Woot! and all of them have been in great shape and worked fantastic. I guess my luck will run out some day...
I almost never hook it up to my computer. I keep 3 or 4 SD cards lying around with different types of music. Then I pop in whatever I feel like that day.
A few things to note from past experiences of mine and others-
1. If you only hear music and no vocals reseed the headphones. They are notorious for not being pushed all the way in.
2. I do believe there was a firmware update on their website for the players. Download it and update your player. I do not remember specifically what it fixed, but it sure did not hurt mine.
3. Some people experienced problems when they filled up their SD card to the max. It was reported the player did better with a few MB open on the card. I never filled mine up 100% so I cannot attest to this.
4. I have heard, no pun intended, that there are definitely better headphones out there so you can get greater volume. Personally the ones that come with it work very well for my needs.
So enjoy and if i think of anything else or if anyone has problems, i will be more then glad to answer if I can.
RSFish1

wonderdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderdog

AT least you all got yours! My credit card was charged on the 8th and today June 15th I got an email saying they ran out and couldn't ship mine. No refund yet.
Bad experience for 1st time wooter here.

armandae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages armandae

mine was brand new, with the sticker still over the chrome. needed to update the firmware, but other than that -pristine-
had all covers, caps, usb cover (wee little thing that could get lost, now stuck to a piece of tape on my wall until i figure out something better to keep it permanently on the thing until i want to re upload music)

good woot.

Billdark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Billdark

My first woot purchase arrived today. Great condition, no scratches, no USB cap (bfd).

Updated the firmware (V1.33 not the newest V1.66 yet) and inserted my 1gb SD card and uploaded music. Works very well. Very excited. Found a rio forum online:

http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?showforum=14

Fantastic purchase so far..

acidsun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acidsun

booo i never recieved my armband that was in the description, that is one of the reasons i bought this mp3 player!

kojak99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kojak99
tortuga wrote:

Got mine yesterday, and mine really does look like that. The battery cover doesn't latch securely and the case looks really bad. It must have a new window, because it's nice and clean, a stark contrast to the rest of the unit. I know refrb is a gamble, but last woot-off I got a universal power supply that was listed as new, and it looks almost as bad as the Rio. This is the fourth item that has induced instant buyer's remorse as soon as I look in the box. Going one step further and saying no more Woot! for me. Awaiting delivery of final woot-off item, so one more chance to be disappointed...

I have to say, my first woot purchase and I'm in the same boat. What a disappointment when opening the box. Scratches, scrapes, rubber peeling off...was thinking about gifting this but, no way for that with this thing. I just hope it works better than it looks...

Now I know refurb (rox0rz!) = Used the F out of. Glad some of you lucked out better than us...

wickerdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wickerdude

Mine looks fine and seems to work pretty good.
I had alot of trouble with fedex though.

BTW, make sure you have batteries handy.

erixdad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erixdad

Got mine yesterday, second Woot. Haven't tried to upload to it yet, but it looks brand new and came with everything it's supposed to, and that's at least half the battle... should be good enough for the wifey, even w/o additional memory.

sles100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sles100

I got mine yesterday and it doesn't turn on ARGH anybody have a suggestion for warranty work

pulsar77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pulsar77

Add me to the "musta took a belt sander to the front chrome" gang. They even put a protective plastic thingy on the front. What a joke! Protect the scratches!
It seems to work fine though. Just did a brief run through the menus and loaded a song or two. One note, some of the songs it came with sound really distorted even at low volumes, but I loaded some of my MP3's and it seems fine.

On this woot off got the Kodak Easy share refurb (rox0rz!) and it's like new. Very disappointed in the RIO.

Hey WOOT, look at this stuff before you agree to sell it. If I knew what it looked like, probably would have passed (or at least not bought at the price you asked).

waheckelny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waheckelny

WOOT WOOT !!!!!!

Got mine today.. Plays great !! LOOKS GREAT !!!!!!

Aside from a few very minor scuffs on the black rubber on the back, I would say its perfect !!!

Unit has current v1.33 firmware already loaded, no need to go to website to update !!

A satisified WOOTER that will Woot again... You WOOT GUYS ROCK !!!!
I will post about woot on my website.. www.waheckel.com

btk097

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btk097
acidsun wrote:booo i never recieved my armband that was in the description, that is one of the reasons i bought this mp3 player!

Yeah, I was looking forward to the arm band too. I DID get it, but it came broken. The faux leather part that actually holds the player in place is ripped and the seams all broken out. Oh well. The player itself is fine, minor scuffs, but nothing like what other people are describing.

lipophilia

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lipophilia

Yet another REALLY TICKED OFF recipient of a device that looks like it has seen some really rough wear. There really needs to be a distinction made on the Woot listings between "refurbished" and "used" stuff. This is NOT refurbished - it's used and repaired. The front face and the rubber are all scratched up and the control button has a big chip missing at the "forward" side. The chrome piece on the front even looks like it's bent, but it's hard to tellif this is just poorly aseembled crap. Is there a way to send the crappy ones back? Maybe I need to have my own Blinged-Out Cabbage auction.

Vesper47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vesper47

My Rio just 'Woot The Bed' about 10 minutes ago...unpacked, loaded it up, didn't even finish playing one song...wham, now it's deader than a Kennedy.

eva's grama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eva's grama

got it an hour ago, quit working 1/2 hour ago! any suggestions on where to send it for repair? and is it under warranty??? help

Shades747

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shades747

Not my first woot but it is my first "refurbished" woot. Bought lots of refurb (rox0rz!) stuff in the past, from many places though. What I got was NOT what I would consider refurb (rox0rz!). This is USED merchandise. Looks like they stuck a new scratch protector on the front (I guess to protect all of the scratches that it got when the last owner decided to use it as a street hockey puck). Hopefully it still works, but I don't have high hopes. I'm rather disappointed, and will most likely shy away from any more refurbs on woot, and will be complaining to the woot staff (luckily I didn't spend much, so I don't care about a refund, I just want to make sure they know they were duped into selling yard sale merchandise).

awesomelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awesomelin

my rio 256mb died 1 day after i got it... anything i can do?

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
awesomelin wrote:my rio 256mb died 1 day after i got it... anything i can do?

Yea, eather contact woot, or the ones who made the product, depending on the warinty.

Still single, can't imagine why.

Cablerus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cablerus

Got it yesterday and it still works fine. It has only light marks on the rubberized back.
So far so good. Already had 1.33 firmware.

gimmaroon

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

If you have a problem with a defective item, weigh your options:

1) http://www.woot.com/WhatIsWoot.aspx#q8
Read this answer in the "What is Woot" FaQ.

2) http://www.woot.com/WriteUs.aspx
Read the right hand column.

Then, you decide which option is best for you.

Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.

BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

bruceb28

eva's grama wrote:got it an hour ago, quit working 1/2 hour ago! any suggestions on where to send it for repair? and is it under warranty??? help

According to the original Woot product description, there's a 60 day warranty. My Rio never started working (it accepted downloaded music, but the LCD screen has never worked). Rio customer support number for repair and returns: (254) 299-2759 (M-F, 8-6 Pacific time). See: www.digitalnetworksna/support/rio/contacts.asp

Good luck, we may all need it!!

waheckelny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waheckelny

WOOT WOOT !!!

Rio Update !!

3 days and going strong..... Works great on alkaline batteries & Ni-Mh rechargables..

Crisp clear sound on all volume levels.... Volume level 30 will rock your world !!

wsupunchy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wsupunchy

Yup, Mine broke within 2 days. I got an RMA from RIO sent it in Friday. Waiting to see what happens.

burfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burfield

Had this thing a week, and it's great. Some small scratches on the chrome, but hey I might even be guilty of that.

I installed the software, but then realized I didn't need it. I just drag-and-drop from my My Music folder to the F and G drives (device and SD card). Works great.

I did order some new headphones, though. They are a bit cheap.

Smooky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smooky

Maybe I'm an idiot (or too impatient to read the directions) but can someone help me out with some advice/guidance? I've ripped my cds to iTunes and am trying to now load songs onto the Rio Forge. Obviously I need to get songs from my iTunes to MP3 format. What's the easiest way to do that?

bruceb28

Smooky wrote:Maybe I'm an idiot (or too impatient to read the directions) but can someone help me out with some advice/guidance? I've ripped my cds to iTunes and am trying to now load songs onto the Rio Forge. Obviously I need to get songs from my iTunes to MP3 format. What's the easiest way to do that?

I searched Download.com for "itunes converter" and found the following free program that claims to convert iTunes to MP3. Can't comment on the quality of the program as I've never used it. Hope this helps!

http://www.download.com/Free-Mp3-Wma-Converter/3000-2140_4-10505512.html?tag=lst-0-7