zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Doubledown Ace 4 Hitch Bike Rack
Price: $119.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $24 Two-Day OR $27 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Apr 07 to Tuesday, Apr 08) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/26/2014 - $129.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3157 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these comments from when this was sold in January

churchmany

quality posts: 1 Private Messages churchmany

I hate to be "that guy" but this bike rack is illegal. It obscures the license plate of your car. ANY obstruction to the license plate is illegal, like the mobility scooter hitches, or the metal shelves that people attach to their trailer hitches to haul extra stuff. I'm not saying you'll get a ticket for using this, I'm just saying you could. Another violation ( where I work) is that it nullifies the rear bumper, and (possibly) obscures the driver's view. But other than that, it looks like a great product!

Snipes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snipes

Does anyone know if this will fit smaller vehicles like a Toyota Prius, Corolla, Camry, or a Subaru Outback?

classicwhaler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages classicwhaler
Snipes wrote:Does anyone know if this will fit smaller vehicles like a Toyota Prius, Corolla, Camry, or a Subaru Outback?

classicwhaler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages classicwhaler
classicwhaler wrote:

You need a vehicle frame mounted trailer hitch for this bike rack. Some vehicles come with these, and many are available aftermarket at local hitch dealers for all size cars and trucks.

ichief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ichief
churchmany wrote:I hate to be "that guy" but this bike rack is illegal. It obscures the license plate of your car. ANY obstruction to the license plate is illegal, like the mobility scooter hitches, or the metal shelves that people attach to their trailer hitches to haul extra stuff. I'm not saying you'll get a ticket for using this, I'm just saying you could. Another violation ( where I work) is that it nullifies the rear bumper, and (possibly) obscures the driver's view. But other than that, it looks like a great product!

In my state of Massachusetts the statute use the word 'obstruct'. In my opinion this would not be an obstruction of the license plate. One can still read the plate. An officer would have to be a total jerk to cite someone for a violation.

omegaroach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages omegaroach

Hey Woot, let's do the Ace 5 again!

bturnip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bturnip

I got the Ace 5 (from Woot) and it is a really great product at a really good price. This one looks practically identical. Not sure if the Ace 4 has longer arms for holding the bikes or just an extra set of holddowns. Two bicycling thumbs up either way.

Jeromyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeromyt

Anyone know if you can swing this down with bikes loaded to access the back of a hatchback or minivan?

wright88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wright88

Wow, I just started looking for hitch bike racks this week! I only need (and can only use) a 2-bike hitch rack, though :/

Woot, please get some 2 hitch bike racks, I would be all over one!

halohonks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halohonks
Jeromyt wrote:Anyone know if you can swing this down with bikes loaded to access the back of a hatchback or minivan?

I am wondering the exact same thing. I would put this on my Sienna minivan. If so...I am buying right now

joraff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joraff
wright88 wrote:Wow, I just started looking for hitch bike racks this week! I only need (and can only use) a 2-bike hitch rack, though :/

Unless you have a specific reason for limiting to two, get this. I have the 2-bike version, and those two bikes are very cramped and often touch in a few places. Get the 4-bike rack so you can space your 2 bikes out more.

Prodnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Prodnet
Jeromyt wrote:Anyone know if you can swing this down with bikes loaded to access the back of a hatchback or minivan?

Yes, you just pull up on the red knob and it all tilts out. Works great.

Prodnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Prodnet
wright88 wrote:Wow, I just started looking for hitch bike racks this week! I only need (and can only use) a 2-bike hitch rack, though :/

There isn't much difference, just the number of holders on the horizontal pipes. Take 2 off, and you have a 2 bike holder! In addition, you won't find it cheaper than this.

daninboulder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daninboulder
classicwhaler wrote:

go to u-haul .com, etrailer good too. enter vehicle model info and they'll show you what hitch fits and even pdf instructions. That being said, other than the doubledown 2, these racks require class II hitches. My car, Pontiac Vibe, is class 1 only

ALSO, agreed, if/when woot offers the Ace 2 hitch in this price range, I'll be all over it

ryandavis81

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ryandavis81

I have either this exact hitch or one very similar. I've had it for over 5 years with no issues. It was originally on an Accord. You won't have a problem with it on a small car. Uhaul installs hitches fairly cheap. It has mechanisms for bending out of the way of your trunk and hatch. It's a bit difficult to move when loaded down, but it can be done.

I would buy it again.

There are a couple other better hitch racks, but they are a lot more expensive and have some trade-offs. This rack will fit more bikes easier. I've never had a problem with the legality of this hitch. People transporting racing bikes aren't who police are looking to ticket. If you were being a jerk to the officer, I could see you getting another ticket for it.

The nice advantage over a roof rack is the ability to move this among vehicles. It's also less expensive, and you should get better mileage (YMMV). You don't have to worry about forgetting bikes on the top of your car and running into the garage, which happens.

sfseay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfseay

I can attest to the fact that when a bike on a roof rack and a garage opening meet, the bike loses every time. I also partially scratched a kayak in the same way.

I shouldn't inhale!

ryandavis81 wrote:I have either this exact hitch or one very similar. I've had it for over 5 years with no issues. It was originally on an Accord. You won't have a problem with it on a small car. Uhaul installs hitches fairly cheap. It has mechanisms for bending out of the way of your trunk and hatch. It's a bit difficult to move when loaded down, but it can be done.

I would buy it again.

There are a couple other better hitch racks, but they are a lot more expensive and have some trade-offs. This rack will fit more bikes easier. I've never had a problem with the legality of this hitch. People transporting racing bikes aren't who police are looking to ticket. If you were being a jerk to the officer, I could see you getting another ticket for it.

The nice advantage over a roof rack is the ability to move this among vehicles. It's also less expensive, and you should get better mileage (YMMV). You don't have to worry about forgetting bikes on the top of your car and running into the garage, which happens.

Got Project?
http://www.projectsteps.com

goodm0j0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goodm0j0

We have an FJ cruiser with the stock Spare tire cover on the back door. Any idea if this will clear that?

http://toyotapartspeople.toyotaofpuyallup.com/images/Toyota/fj%20spare%20tire%20cover.jpg

goodm0j0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goodm0j0

FYI, if you're wondering about fitment measurements:

http://yakima.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/44528/0/filename/Yakima-Hitch-Fit-Tips.pdf

goodm0j0 wrote:We have an FJ cruiser with the stock Spare tire cover on the back door. Any idea if this will clear that?

http://toyotapartspeople.toyotaofpuyallup.com/images/Toyota/fj%20spare%20tire%20cover.jpg

wright88

joraff wrote:Unless you have a specific reason for limiting to two, get this. I have the 2-bike version, and those two bikes are very cramped and often touch in a few places. Get the 4-bike rack so you can space your 2 bikes out more.

Unfortunately, my car only has a class 1 hitch, and this rack requires at least a class 2, which is why I would want/need the 2 bike hitch rack (it is rated for any hitch).

nocheez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nocheez
wright88 wrote:Unfortunately, my car only has a class 1 hitch, and this rack requires at least a class 2, which is why I would want/need the 2 bike hitch rack (it is rated for any hitch).

You can use this with any class hitch. The classes are basically weight limits, and a class 1 is rated for 2,000 pounds. You are not going overload your hitch with a few 20 pound bicycles.

wright88

nocheez wrote:You can use this with any class hitch. The classes are basically weight limits, and a class 1 is rated for 2,000 pounds. You are not going overload your hitch with a few 20 pound bicycles.

Class 1 is rated for 2000 lbs. pull weight, but only 200 lbs. carry weight (which is how these bike racks work). I would probably be fine with this rack if I was only using it for 2 bikes, but I wouldn't want to use more bikes than that, as that may get close to the weight limit rating (that's why nearly all bike rack manufacturers say their 4 bike racks are for class 2 hitches and above). And if I can only use 2 bikes on a 4 bike rack, I'd rather save money and buy a 2 bike rack.

john1863

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john1863
wright88 wrote:Class 1 is rated for 2000 lbs. pull weight, but only 200 lbs. carry weight (which is how these bike racks work). I would probably be fine with this rack if I was only using it for 2 bikes, but I wouldn't want to use more bikes than that, as that would be getting awfully close to the weight limit rating. And if I can only use 2 bikes on a 4 bike rack, I'd rather save money and buy a 2 bike rack.

This rack weighs ~30 lbs. That leaves 42.5 lbs per bike. I have got to ask - what bikes are you carrying around that weigh 40+ lbs each? You must have massive legs to pedal those things.

wright88

john1863 wrote:This rack weighs ~30 lbs. That leaves 42.5 lbs per bike. I have got to ask - what bikes are you carrying around that weigh 40+ lbs each? You must have massive legs to pedal those things.

No, I don't have 40 lbs bikes... But I'd rather listen to what manufacturers say when they say 4 bike racks are for class 2 hitches and above.. And I'd rather not have my hitch near it's weight limit, especially when it's an aftermarket hitch on an older car that was installed before I bought the car.

cchrisfx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cchrisfx

This is just so wrong! I just bought this exact bike rack but for much more money...

tovaflynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tovaflynn

I have a 4 door Honda Accord. Will this work? Thanks.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cchrisfx wrote:This is just so wrong! I just bought this exact bike rack but for much more money...

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Re-posting from an earlier thread:

claystorm wrote:I bought the 2 bike version a few weeks back on Woot!, and love it. Before, I had a trunk mount bike rack that would take 20 or 30 minutes to install. The Yakima Ace installs in under 5 minutes. I can remove the rack to go get a carwash or whatever and reinstall it really fast. In the 2 or 3 weeks I've had it installed, it seems very sturdy and my bike hasn't moved, even at highway speeds (75/80 mph). The third mount point that locks in the vertical support means the bike isn't going anywhere, even if you take off fast from a start or hit a speed-bump (both things I've done living in a community with lots of speed-bumps. All around, a great bike-rack.

sdilullo wrote:Same here, sans the actual usage part (it's cold in the Midwest!) at least.

Really sturdy, and quick to install. I wanted a platform rack for the longest time but the 2-bike @ $90 was far too good a deal to pass up. Especially for the not-all-that-frequent usage it will see.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

ryandavis81

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ryandavis81
tovaflynn wrote:I have a 4 door Honda Accord. Will this work? Thanks.

Yes. You just need a hitch. Uhaul is often the cheapest.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 12 Private Messages billthegunowner

I'm surprised they didn't blur the Washington State license plate out - 308 UJZ. And it looks like it expired back in 2011.

Bill

jlatusek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlatusek
tovaflynn wrote:I have a 4 door Honda Accord. Will this work? Thanks.

Yes it will work. I have a hitch installed on a 2008 4 door accord and use it with my father thule 4 bike carrier. Even with the hitch and 4 bikes you will be way below the 200lb tongue weight capacity of a class 1 hitch.

I purchased the hitch from etrailer for very cheap.

lakecoder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakecoder

Bummer! I need the 5 bike version. Looks like they had those & sold out. Any chance you got one of those around woot?

lmcmanis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmcmanis

I tried to buy this on a Woot off, got it in my cart and then went to check out and was told it was sold out.

Next came the Ace 5 on a regular Woot!. Purchased that and after waiting more than a week to get a "your item has been shipped" notice, I instead got a "sorry we cannot fill your order" email. They had already charged me for the item and then issued a refund. Okay - I got my refund but really should not have been charged until they actually shipped. Meanwhile, I burned up days thinking I had the rack, only to be disappointed.

I complained to customer service and did not get a reasonable reply - only a computer generated sorry.

I have since seen this rack, or the Ace 5 offered which really makes me wonder why Woot is offering this again when they failed twice to satisfy my order.

Process left me with a bad taste in my mouth Woot and diminished my customer trust. Buyer beware.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lakecoder wrote:Bummer! I need the 5 bike version. Looks like they had those & sold out. Any chance you got one of those around woot?

Not at the moment but keep checking the daily and plus sales. They may show up.

There's a link in my signature to a list of All Plus Sales. It's updated weekdays by around 9:30am CT.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bartdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bartdog

Dammit Dammit DAMMIT

I just ordered a different one on Amazon two days ago. This looks like a much better option for just slightly more $$. =/

ericgohs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericgohs

Looks like a great buy. Any ideas if the dual arms are narrow enough to carry a kids 16" bike? Thx!

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20

Did the owner of the XTerra approve having their license plate splattered all over this site?

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.