zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

HP 17.3" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Laptop
Price: $679.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Tuesday, Apr 08 to Wednesday, Apr 09) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
3/22/2014 - $679.99 - 25 comment(s)
2/23/2014 - $679.99 - 49 comment(s)
1/22/2014 - $699.99 - 25 comment(s)

3/25/2014 - $679.99 (Woot Plus)
1/24/2014 - $699.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

teedo757

quality posts: 6 Private Messages teedo757

Hummm, well the 17.3" screen is about 2" larger then a 15.3" screen. It's nice to be able to touch things so I would recommend the touch screen. Its best to use it right after eating potato chips so you can see where the last few places you touched were. That way if you get lost in windows 8 you can trace back your touches to get back to the main tile view.

Also I have heard there is an update to windows 8 that may make it usable and bring back the start bar.....(maybe)

At least HP is a good brand so if you need to wait another year the computer should with stand the test of time.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
teedo757 wrote:Also I have heard there is an update to windows 8 that may make it usable and bring back the start bar.....(maybe)

Maybe?

There's no "maybe" involved -
http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-1-update-sends-some-love-to-keyboard-and-mouse-users/

"Microsoft Vice President Joe Belfiore said at Mobile World Congress this week that the company wants to "make things better" for users without touchscreens.

Those changes may include new right-clickable context-sensitive menus, the ability to pin Metro apps to the Desktop task bar, and adding dedicated search and power buttons to the Start screen..."

taraxgoesxboom

quality posts: 3 Private Messages taraxgoesxboom

It makes me uncomfortable that the "I want one" button now has a hairy arm.

fjlandcruiser4080

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fjlandcruiser4080

Google the model number there is a bad problem with the sound not working. Roomie just bought a new one on Woot, only thing that comes out of the speakers is a clicking noise. Tried reinstalling drivers, everything on net regarding sound issue. Requested RMA.

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam
teedo757 wrote:Also I have heard there is an update to windows 8 that may make it usable and bring back the start bar.....(maybe)

Have you used Windows 8 much? The Start Screen has every single feature of the Start Menu, and then some. You can still pin your most-used apps and access all your installed apps, and you still have one-click system-wide search, which is a feature that has been around since Vista that a lot people just didn't know existed.

Try it - in Windows 8, hit the Windows key to go to the Start Screen, and just start typing the name of the application you want to launch.

The Start Screen looks different, but it hasn't taken away any of the features of the traditional start menu.

If you still want to boot directly to the traditional desktop, you can do that, too.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

taraxgoesxboom wrote:It makes me uncomfortable that the "I want one" button now has a hairy arm.

Better or worse?

Feel free to offer your own versions.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam

Add an animated GIF of Cookie Monster's head slowly popping out from behind the laptop. That would be amazing.

fiscalmd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiscalmd

If you like the start menu for Windows 8/8.1 try "classic shell."

This laptop would be great if it had an illuminated keypad.

I have owned several HP laptops including a 17" monster. This one allows you to workout when you move it (~10 lbs) as it doesn't fit in most bags or book bags. Caution on the refurb'd units, battery probably suffered previous lifetime and will not hold the optimal capacity.

ThunderThighs

Staff

fiscalmd wrote:If you like the start menu for Windows 8/8.1 try "classic shell."

This laptop would be great if it had an illuminated keypad.

I have owned several HP laptops including a 17" monster. This one allows you to workout when you move it (~10 lbs) as it doesn't fit in most bags or book bags. Caution on the refurb'd units, battery probably suffered previous lifetime and will not hold the optimal capacity.

Per the specs:

Keyboard: Full-Size Island-Style Backlit with Numeric Keypad

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jimfrog67

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimfrog67

The disembodied floating hand and forearm on the product page is creeping me out.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jimfrog67 wrote:The disembodied floating hand and forearm on the product page is creeping me out.

I gave you an alternative above.

FORUM MODERATOR

teedo757

Never knew windows 8 was such a "touchy" subject. Glad this laptop has a touch screen.

teedo757

shifuimam wrote:Have you used Windows 8 much? The Start Screen has every single feature of the Start Menu, and then some. You can still pin your most-used apps and access all your installed apps, and you still have one-click system-wide search, which is a feature that has been around since Vista that a lot people just didn't know existed.

Try it - in Windows 8, hit the Windows key to go to the Start Screen, and just start typing the name of the application you want to launch.

The Start Screen looks different, but it hasn't taken away any of the features of the traditional start menu.

If you still want to boot directly to the traditional desktop, you can do that, too.

Ya I just like the old menu. Sometimes I need a program I haven't used in 6 months and can't remember the name so it's an extra few steps to find it. I'm sure it works great after you take time to figure out how to navigate the new UI.

ThunderThighs

Staff

teedo757 wrote:Never knew windows 8 was such a "touchy" subject. Glad this laptop has a touch screen.

Oh, you ain't seen nothing. You should look at some of the earlier threads when it just came out. Whew.

FORUM MODERATOR

techturtle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages techturtle

Anyone know if this has a 2nd hard drive bay? I looked around at other sites for specs/teardowns but found nothing.

GamerSmurf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GamerSmurf
techturtle wrote:Anyone know if this has a 2nd hard drive bay? I looked around at other sites for specs/teardowns but found nothing.

Bought one for my father and it has been great. Extremely fast with this new Samsung 840 SSD.

It does have a second drive bay but you would need to order the cable and the adapter/holder that holds the drive.

metagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg
GamerSmurf wrote:Bought one for my father and it has been great. Extremely fast with this new Samsung 840 SSD.

It does have a second drive bay but you would need to order the cable and the adapter/holder that holds the drive.

Oh good. I wonder why they are selling a computer with a full HD.

Castille360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Castille360

I got one of these refurb - I got the touchscreen because I thought maybe it would make me warmer on win 8, and I suppose it has. I've had to set up and work with 5 different laptops with win8 and 8.1 on them, and while there was an initial learning curve, once I got a feel for the new lay out, set up some new useful start menu buttons, it was all the same to me. Enough so, I'm not even interested in any new UI to make it more like the old one.
The selling feature for this model for me was the screen size. Overall, satisfied with performance.

Mr.Chairman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mr.Chairman

$379. That's the price that will make me jump.

I'm not all that interested in Windows 8, 17" is really too big for a laptop and it weighs a ton, but if you get the price down to $379, ship one out to me.

frozengreenblob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frozengreenblob
Mr.Chairman wrote:$379. That's the price that will make me jump.

I'm not all that interested in Windows 8, 17" is really too big for a laptop and it weighs a ton, but if you get the price down to $379, ship one out to me.

It's not meant to be a budget laptop. It has a processor on par with mid-high range desktop processors. If you want a budget laptop, check out some of the Atom or AMD processor laptops.

But that said, I don't see too much of a point pairing a processor like this with Intel integrated graphics.