zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch- 5 Colors
Price: $159.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Friday, Apr 11 to Wednesday, Apr 16) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

draigun

quality posts: 22 Private Messages draigun

These are on Woot sale already? lol.

kcunha11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcunha11

the stats need to be changed. IP55 is NOT rated for water immersion.

http://www.fantech.com.au/images/PDF/Catalogue/IP.pdf

[MOD: This has been corrected.]

nrosenberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nrosenberg
draigun wrote:These are on Woot sale already? lol.

Well, they're great if you have, and stay with, a Samsung phone, but I'll stick with my Pebble, which works with any Android or iOS phone.

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

kcunha11

if you didn't know, the Gear 2 releases this Friday

zoneman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zoneman

How long do these things realistically go between charges?

gantt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt

The Gear 2 and two other models are coming out, so these are about to be previous-gen models and are being cleared out at many places. First models in new product categories have short lives. So, yes, "already."

NortonsArk

quality posts: 13 Private Messages NortonsArk

The new version of this watch is coming out April 11 for the full $299. Here is the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gear-Smartwatch-Silver-Black/dp/B00JBJ3HQ0

capjones1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capjones1

They were on sale for $99 (Canadian!!) last week. Flushing out the old gear (pun intended) to make room for new models,

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3527 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

[MOD EDIT: removed 2nd video;dead link]

ducky12432

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ducky12432

I have wanted one for a while not sure if i should pull and grab one now or not wonder in the next months how much more the price will go down

ugrasse2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2
NortonsArk wrote:The new version of this watch is coming out April 11 for the full $299. Here is the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gear-Smartwatch-Silver-Black/dp/B00JBJ3HQ0/ref=sr_ob_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396933793&sr=8-1

They're shooting themselves in the foot again. Moto/Google are releasing Wear, and while the pebble sucks as of 2.0, it still runs the compatibility gamut. Meanwhile, no serious improvement in the Gear 2 over the Gear, and still only compatible with Samsung phones -- which are so bloated with add-on software, that a second screen is virtually a must. So sad.

theco2

quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2
ducky12432 wrote:I have wanted one for a while not sure if i should pull and grab one now or not wonder in the next months how much more the price will go down

Sounds like an excellent plan, to me. Or wait and get the new one, once it starts to come down, in price. It's bound to happen, eventually. Xmas is only about 9 months away.

kcunha11

ugrasse2 wrote:They're shooting themselves in the foot again. Moto/Google are releasing Wear, and while the pebble sucks as of 2.0, it still runs the compatibility gamut. Meanwhile, no serious improvement in the Gear 2 over the Gear, and still only compatible with Samsung phones -- which are so bloated with add-on software, that a second screen is virtually a must. So sad.

when apple releases the iwatch, do you think it will be compatible across phone lines or an apple exclusive? my bet is on an apple exclusive.

kaishicheoylee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaishicheoylee
zoneman wrote:How long do these things realistically go between charges?

A charge lasts two to three days and I was surprised by how quickly it charged full again.

apallohadas

quality posts: 5 Private Messages apallohadas
ugrasse2 wrote:They're shooting themselves in the foot again. Moto/Google are releasing Wear, and while the pebble sucks as of 2.0, it still runs the compatibility gamut. Meanwhile, no serious improvement in the Gear 2 over the Gear, and still only compatible with Samsung phones -- which are so bloated with add-on software, that a second screen is virtually a must. So sad.

I have a Note 3 and don't seem to suffer as you say I should.

Must be a User error on your end.

Or you don't actually own a Samsung phone.

That said, most reviews seem to think that so far, the Gear 2's are indeed an improvement over the first Gen which looked comical with the oddly placed camera bump.

I bought a bunch of stuff and all I have left is this not-very-witty signature.

MaverikDS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaverikDS

If I have my phone paired to a bluetooth helmet streaming pandora, can I use the watch to skip songs?

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

My phone is not advanced enough for a watch, apparently. Sad face.

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga

My first day (before I switched ROMs and went nuts on it) of moderate to heavy "playing with it" I was at 66% charge at the end of the day.

I have since installed custom recovery and custom ROM (null_ ROM - make sure you adjust the Voltage option to underclock the CPU after installing!!!) and depending on what I do I can burn battery pretty fast. However, I've only had it about a week now so I haven't had a chance to tweak it for best performance and battery life.

There are ways to get it to work with non-Samsung phones (though it will be more difficult to manage, especially since it assumes you have NFC for pairing), it can be easily rooted, and with the null_ ROM you can run additional Android apps.

I'm running Tablet Talk so I can reply to SMS from the watch (standard function only lets you read and reply with S Voice, no typing) and PDAnet/Foxfi works for Bluetooth tethering (Internet access) too.

Overall, the stock functionality is pretty limited, but battery life is reasonable.
Add additional functionality via custom ROMs and battery life will suffer, but you can get a lot more functionality.

Regardless, the watch fully charges in about an hour or so, so as long as you have USB and the cradle available, you can recharge quickly.

Note that you can't wear the watch+cradle while charging unless you find a low-profile MicroUSB cable or have incredibly thin wrists.

Also, you can order additional cradles from Samsung - search online/forums for a promo code to get them significantly cheaper than list.

I love my Gear, but I like to hack/tweak stuff.

For the average person, you probably want to look at other offerings, especially if you don't have a Samsung phone.

Also, the camera is the bump on the band and the speaker is in the clasp - so you cannot change watch bands and damage to the band will likely kill the watch.

lwhardin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwhardin

Does anyone know if I can set the watch to vibrate when I receive a text or call and keep my phone on silent?

Also, can I still use bluetooth headset when the watch is active?

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

giant68

quality posts: 2 Private Messages giant68

Anyone know the biggest wrist size this thing fits?

I'm 6' 8" and have trouble with watch bands not fitting comfortably

It's tough being a tall guy in an average guys' world.

gantt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt
apallohadas wrote:I have a Note 3 and don't seem to suffer as you say I should.

Same here. Must be user error on our part...

apallohadas wrote:
That said, most reviews seem to think that so far, the Gear 2's are indeed an improvement over the first Gen which looked comical with the oddly placed camera bump.

The camera bump may be odd, but the camera integration in the Gear 2 isn't exactly pretty, either. I compared the looks of the Gear and Gear 2 at Best Buy, and personally I like the appearance of the Gear better.

thelastredeemer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thelastredeemer
apallohadas wrote:I have a Note 3 and don't seem to suffer as you say I should.

Must be a User error on your end.

Not everyone has a Samsung phone. I'll be glad to see what Google and Motorola will offer that's a bit more open to other Android phones than Samsung.

And for the record, the Gear 2 is much better looking and sports better hardware but it's too bad you got to be a Samsung user to even use them.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Go on, read the writeup.

I apologize.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

I've got a Note 3 and my wife has an S4. But neither of us are interested in this proprietary watch. I may consider one with the new Android Wear UI though. I hate closed systems.

retropug

quality posts: 2 Private Messages retropug

I have a large wrist also and did not think I could wear one because at the best buy kiosks or where they demo the watch the security piece underneath makes the demo watchband about a notch smaller. I was very close but figured I could not wear it. Once I realized that piece was not there I was able to try one on out of the box it did fit...just fit. That being said you will probably be ok but your best bet is to go to a Verizon, best buy etc and just try one to be 100%

[quote postid="5749995" user="giant68"]Anyone know the biggest wrist size this thing fits?

jgalley7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgalley7

are these compatible with the galaxy 5?

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980
kcunha11 wrote:when apple releases the iwatch, do you think it will be compatible across phone lines or an apple exclusive? my bet is on an apple exclusive.

Ah, but the difference is there is only one iOS phone, and that is the iPhone. In my opinion Samsung is being really stupid by making this Samsung compatible only instead of Android compatible. They should have made this compatible with any Android phone running version X.X or above.

retropug

quality posts: 2 Private Messages retropug

I know there were a lot of negatives about this watch but once you get it working...there are several instructional easy to follow you tube vids, you will love it. I love having notifications right on my wrist...it vibrates or can make a sound so I never miss calls or texts or Gmails anymore. I collect watches but this thing has taken priority. I never wear any of my other watches because I miss the notifications. You can set it so it will notify you of facebook updates, ebay bid notifications, weather notifications. It's great. And some people ask if you can use other Bluetooth devices at the same time, well like most today, I have Bluetooth in the car. The watch is smart enough to know when your in the car you can answer the watch or hit a button on you console or steering wheel with out it going to the wrong place. You can have a Bluetooth speaker setup to your phone and track up and down and volume up from across the room using the watch to control it. It also has helped me not forget and leave my phone in the car. When I get out of the car and walk a 100 feet away it buzzes and I know I left it in the cup holder. One person asked if you could use it with Pandora to track up...YES you can but you have to get back to the audio control screen cause it goes back to the default after a few seconds. You can side load all kinds of stuff on it too. I put a game, think it's called drop that lets you use the built in accelerometer to twist back and forth to let a ball drop through a scrolling maze...plays great. Also I side loaded MXplayer to show off that you can load an entire movie on this thing. You can hear it too. You look silly taking calls on it but you do not have to hold it up to your mouth when talking..it can be down by your side. I use that function when I have my phone charging and am walking around the house or in the garage and a call comes in on my cell and it's not right on me. It definitely works...most people don't know your talking to them from your wrist. Battery life is great...I could go a day and a half but just charge it every night and it only takes about 45 mins to charge but you do need that proprietary charging case so don't forget it on vacation. I love you can use the watch styler app to use any wallpaper or image on your phone and turn it into a watch face background...you pick the style of hands or if you want it to be digital...very cool. The camera takes video also. Enough ranting...I like mine with my Note 3.

Scooter32401

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Scooter32401

Now is not the time to be buying a smart watch. The floodgates are about to open and there will be a lot of good choices on the market. I have my eye on the Moto 360.

ducky12432 wrote:I have wanted one for a while not sure if i should pull and grab one now or not wonder in the next months how much more the price will go down

jmaree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmaree

Someone mentioned that these are already for sale at Woot, but that's only because the new version, Gear 2 comes out this week.

Jodi from Red Wing, MN

jimmyjayjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmyjayjr
giant68 wrote:Anyone know the biggest wrist size this thing fits?

@ six-eight I would think you would have trouble fitting most things you wear.

neveraging

quality posts: 3 Private Messages neveraging

At first I thought these were cool. Then I realized they are basically the compromise for your overly gigantic Galaxy phone. .

GH

jimmyjayjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmyjayjr

I clicked the "I want one" button.
Got the Note 3 phone a few months ago. and backed off on this watch as it was 3 hundred, plus the phone was 3 hundred. I was looking for a price drop. so that came today. this is a "envy" toy' Paired with the note you will be the only kid on the block with one. a real game clock Tracy" or is it head, any how I got one . Thanks to woot.

mgbergman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgbergman

There have been statements that you will be able to update this watch with the new operating system (Tizan). That makes this a good value. I bought one a couple months ago from BB for 149 and I love this watch.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/25/galaxy-gear-update-to-tizen/

carlcampbelljr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carlcampbelljr

About a days usage. It will have to be charged nightly