zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone System
Price: $79.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Apr 11 to Monday, Apr 14) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/28/2014 - $79.99 - 67 comment(s)
11/9/2013 - $79.99 - 39 comment(s)
10/16/2013 - $79.99 - 95 comment(s)

12/23/2013 - $79.99 (Woot Plus)
12/9/2013 - $79.99 (Woot Plus)
12/6/2013 - $79.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken

With Google killing off Voice access for devices like the Obi100, do you guys think it is worth the $4 or so a month plus the cost of this device if you don't use the home phone very much? I mean, we RARELY ever use the home phone. Most people and places have our cell phone numbers.

I just don't wanna be without a house phone just in case we need it for something. Plus, I want my kids to know how to use a regular phone. I just am not sure I can talk my wife into shelling out good money for yet another VoIP device and the monthly fees that go with it.

Accepting suggestions.

paradise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paradise

Bought this the last time around because Google Voice will stop working with Obi. It was a nice run of free phone service while it lasted.

I like it a lot. Be warned though, if you want to use it with Google Voice so that you can direct dial out with your GV number, as it did with the Obi, you need to pay for their premium service at $10/mo on top of the taxes and fees. I feel it's worth it and it works flawlessly. It is nicely explained by Ooma how to set everything up.

Tufflaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Tufflaw

I love my Ooma, bought it here on Woot a few years ago for $149 I think, worth every penny. I pay about $3/month in taxes and that's it. When I moved recently I just plugged in the Ooma in my new house and bam my phone worked with my old number.

Answers in advance to a few questions everyone always seems to have - yes you can port your old number, it takes a few days but it works. Yes the sound quality is the same as whatever you're using now (at least it was for me). Yes if you lose internet connection you lose phone service. Also you can check your voicemail on the Ooma itself, via your phone, on on their website. You can NOT listen to the message as it's being left unless you pay for premier service which I think it $10/month. I had it for a month or two as a free trial and it was fine but I could live without the extra features so I didn't sign up for it when it was done.

I was paying $35/month with my cable company, and assuming they haven't raised the prices since I cancelled, I've saved about $400/year.

steveken

paradise wrote:Be warned though, if you want to use it with Google Voice so that you can direct dial out with your GV number, as it did with the Obi, you need to pay for their premium service at $10/mo on top of the taxes and fees. I feel it's worth it and it works flawlessly. It is nicely explained by Ooma how to set everything up.

So, do you not get a phone number from Ooma when you set up service? Or how does it work? I don't really care about porting over my number from GV I don't guess. I am confused on what you mean with this part.

khufu413

quality posts: 12 Private Messages khufu413

We have had this for a couple years now. While we did fully cut the cord two months ago, this was a wonderful transition device to get us past the irrational "no home phone" fears. Total bill was around $3 a month and service was great. I guess its time to sell ours (not to anyone here (I wont snipe a sale from woot (unless you make an offer I cannot refuse (like $3000 (or best offer (I like nested parentheticals (a lot))))))).

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this write up over at pcworld.com and very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

paradise

steveken wrote:So, do you not get a phone number from Ooma when you set up service? Or how does it work? I don't really care about porting over my number from GV I don't guess. I am confused on what you mean with this part.

If you want to pick up the phone and dial out and have the receiving party see your Google Voice number rather than your Ooma number then you must use the premium service.

It's really only important if you want to use Google Voice and don't want to have to use the GV website to initiate the call.

If all you want to do is use the Ooma number then you don't need the premium service.

steveken

paradise wrote:If you want to pick up the phone and dial out and have the receiving party see your Google Voice number rather than your Ooma number then you must use the premium service.

It's really only important if you want to use Google Voice and don't want to have to use the GV website to initiate the call.

If all you want to do is use the Ooma number then you don't need the premium service.

The Ooma number is just a regular phone number? And I take it they have numbers in every state?

EDIT: I'll just shut up and look at their website now.

waffle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages waffle
paradise wrote:Bought this the last time around because Google Voice will stop working with Obi. It was a nice run of free phone service while it lasted.

I like it a lot. Be warned though, if you want to use it with Google Voice so that you can direct dial out with your GV number, as it did with the Obi, you need to pay for their premium service at $10/mo on top of the taxes and fees. I feel it's worth it and it works flawlessly. It is nicely explained by Ooma how to set everything up.

I am in the same boat

SO - if you didn't pay that extra $10 it wouldn't work WITH google voice, right? But you could still use it as a fairly normal outgoing/incoming phone??? I have to think how much i really depend on the google voice service I guess - what would I be losing.

almax00

quality posts: 2 Private Messages almax00
steveken wrote:With Google killing off Voice access for devices like the Obi100,

do you have an obi? GV will no longer support the protocol obi uses but that doesn't mean the obi is useless. I have an obi and just signed up with phonepower for $35/year. you can port your GV number to phonepower for $15. there are other voip providers you can switch to also. obihai has 2 or 3 "approved" providers they recommend on their web site.

i know phonepower may increase their price in the future but for now i'm sticking with the obi.

ps: i'm not affiliated in any way with phonepower.

waffle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages waffle

can they port a GV #? Still thinking this through...

I kinda think I could live w/o the GV integration...I think

I could, of course, keep the GV # AND have an ooma assigned OTHER #

gdarland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gdarland
steveken wrote:With Google killing off Voice access for devices like the Obi100, do you guys think it is worth the $4 or so a month plus the cost of this device if you don't use the home phone very much? I mean, we RARELY ever use the home phone. Most people and places have our cell phone numbers.

I just don't wanna be without a house phone just in case we need it for something. Plus, I want my kids to know how to use a regular phone. I just am not sure I can talk my wife into shelling out good money for yet another VoIP device and the monthly fees that go with it.

Accepting suggestions.

We bought this about 3 years ago, referb for $149 and this goes down as one of my better purchases. $3 and change/month, and just like you we RARELY use our landline number (Ooma phone), but with kids in the house it really does provide piece-of-mind.

We have never had an issue and I would buy it again without hesitation. Good luck!

gtd4912123

paradise

almax00 wrote:do you have an obi? GV will no longer support the protocol obi uses but that doesn't mean the obi is useless. I have an obi and just signed up with phonepower for $35/year. you can port your GV number to phonepower for $15. there are other voip providers you can switch to also. obihai has 2 or 3 "approved" providers they recommend on their web site.

i know phonepower may increase their price in the future but for now i'm sticking with the obi.

ps: i'm not affiliated in any way with phonepower.

True, but if you go this route your number is no longer a GV number. This might not be an issue unless you tie your GV number to more than one "real" number. In my case, I tie GV to my cell phone and my home phone (used to be Obi, now is Ooma) so I have one phone number that I give to everyone and that is what they see when I call them from either my cell or my home phone.

nameless1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nameless1
waffle wrote:
SO - if you didn't pay that extra $10 it wouldn't work WITH google voice, right? But you could still use it as a fairly normal outgoing/incoming phone??? I have to think how much i really depend on the google voice service I guess - what would I be losing.

You don't need GV to use the Ooma. I've had mine for a couple of years, and I don't use the premium service. I often work from home, and hours of conference calls on my cell just isn't going to cut it. I paid an extra $40 to port my old land line to Ooma, but they'd have given me an entirely different number at no charge. I also have GV (actually a legacy Grand Central account before Google bought them and renamed it). I don't have it directly connected to the Ooma, but the Ooma is one of the numbers it rings when you call my GV number.

bdlitzne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdlitzne

I've had the Ooma for 6 months. Very pleased with it. Paid the 40 dollars to have my ATT number ported....but Ooma does have numbers available for no charge. You can incorporate your old answering machine if you have multiple phones with that.

creiss74

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creiss74

Anyone using this with the wifi adapter? I may get this for my mother who misses having a home phone but she would need this device to connect to a wifi network.

Quality drop noticeable?

timtampa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timtampa

Google Voice is part of their $10/month premium service.
Ooma doesn't violate the ToS for Google Voice, so they're not affected.
You don't need the premium service for Google Voice to function as normal, as it works like any other phone.
You can read their official statement here: http://www.ooma.com/node/1420

timtampa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timtampa
creiss74 wrote:Anyone using this with the wifi adapter? I may get this for my mother who misses having a home phone but she would need this device to connect to a wifi network.

Quality drop noticeable?

Ooma brags that they use a special method to use a lot less bandwidth than other VOIP services, to use barely any bandwidth. I think the only thing you'd have to worry about is latency, which will depend on the wireless bridge you're using.

You can read up on this article form CNET on creating a wireless bridge, in this case using old routers such as a WRT54G(s).
You can do the same thing with any router that supports DD-WRT, which there a LOT of them out there. You can find them cheap enough on eBay, pawn shop, etc. Just read the article fully.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/

HobBramble

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HobBramble

I picked up one of these about two years ago when Ooma had them on sale for $50 ($100 but with a $50 mail-in rebate) - bar none one of the smartest decisions I've ever made. As a few people have said, dropped our phone bill from about $40 a month from our cable company to about $3 a month.

Even if you have a package deal from your cable company (phone/tv/internet combo or some such) it's totally worth ditching for this: the savings are way better and the Ooma pays for itself in about a quarter of a year. (I went all out and dropped our cable package for just internet, got the Ooma and Netflix/Hulu subscriptions, upped our internet speed and STILL save over a hundred bucks a month.)

desinady

quality posts: 1 Private Messages desinady

Interesting comments. Can someone tell me about the international calls pricing? It says a penny?! And calls to Northern Canada get charged the same as international? I call Africa often and need details on this part if anyone would please. Many thx!

knt1108

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knt1108

I absolutely love my Ooma Telo. Have the premium service which I pay annually and my monthly bill (taxes) is $4.33 mo. Have had it over a year. Just realize that if the power goes out and you don't have a UPS, you have no phone. It's no problem for me since I have a cell. If the system goes down for a time you can have your calls forwarded to your cell so you won't miss any calls. Check out the Ooma.com site. It has tons of info including rates for international calls. You can also estimate how much you will be paying per month. Never had any problems. Wish I had this sooner.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
paradise wrote:If you want to pick up the phone and dial out and have the receiving party see your Google Voice number rather than your Ooma number then you must use the premium service.

To be clear, you can always use your google voice account to make a call without using their website to initiate the call.

You can place a call by calling your own google voice number from one of the phones in your google voice circle. It will give you the greeting "You have no new messages. To place a call press 2 or to change settings, press 4". Then, just press 2. Google will then ask you for the area code and number you want to call.

This works by detecting the caller ID from your Ooma number and realizing you're calling yourself.

For this feature to work, you need to do a one-time setting change by going to your google voice settings on the google voice website. Find the phone number for your Ooma and select advanced settings. Be sure the "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone" is set to "Yes". If you also use "Pin required", you will need to type your Pin each time or just select "Pin not required" for added convenience but lower security.

So when you do it this way, it's not as convenient because you have to type more digits than just the number you want to call. It does save you $10/month and it's the method I use because I'm too cheap to pay for that premium service when this workaround exists.

gwbaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gwbaker
steveken wrote:With Google killing off Voice access for devices like the Obi100, do you guys think it is worth the $4 or so a month plus the cost of this device if you don't use the home phone very much? I mean, we RARELY ever use the home phone. Most people and places have our cell phone numbers.

Accepting suggestions.

ABSOLUTELY.

I was in the same boat using Google voice with an OBI100. Since Google was killing it off, I went with Ooma. The audio quality is considerably better than Google voice! Also, you can call 911 with the Ooma which we could not with google voice.

As I did, I would skip using google voice any more. You pay $3 to "unlock" your google voice number and then you can port it over to Ooma. Ooma charges $40 to move the number over if you choose the free option (pay tax only). If you sign up for a year of the premium service they waive the $40 port fee.
This is WELL worth the money!!!

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

gwbaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gwbaker
creiss74 wrote:Anyone using this with the wifi adapter? I may get this for my mother who misses having a home phone but she would need this device to connect to a wifi network.

Quality drop noticeable?

Yep, works just as good as if it were straight wired. No worries!

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

beachfanjudy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beachfanjudy

We bought thus last time it was offered. Love it! Such a monthly savings over centurylink. We don't use the phone much, but when we do, it works fine.

julieannbowers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julieannbowers

Looks like this is the older version probably? Also none of theses devices allow use of a fax machine? (Which is my hold up getting rid of landlines)

reallinkllc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reallinkllc
julieannbowers wrote:Looks like this is the older version probably? Also none of theses devices allow use of a fax machine? (Which is my hold up getting rid of landlines)

Fax machine? What are these words that you speak?

wootluvr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootluvr
julieannbowers wrote:Looks like this is the older version probably? Also none of theses devices allow use of a fax machine? (Which is my hold up getting rid of landlines)

My Telo works fine for faxing out, but I've had some problems receiving incoming faxes. Fortunately, it is quite uncommon to need incoming faxes for me. If I'm not mistaken, the premium service offers enhanced faxing capabilities, but I'm just using the basic (< $4/month) service.

As far as I know, this is still the current model. And regarding refurbs...I bought mine a couple of years ago (much higher price) and it has been fine. I only regret not getting it sooner.

lizardboy86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizardboy86
gwbaker wrote:Yep, works just as good as if it were straight wired. No worries!

I would not buy the wireless adapter. I would buy a wireless access point router. Even though you have to plug in the wireless access point it is by far alot cheaper and plus if you get rid of the ooma phone you can use the wireless access point for anything else. The version I bought was below from newegg TP-LINK TL-WA701ND Wireless N150 Access Point, 150Mbps. You just set it up just like your typical router. I been using this with my phone for 3 months now no difference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704048

jlagraff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jlagraff

I've used my 14 year old brother fax machines several times, no problem. I do have a good connection, I suppose low bandwidth could be a problem. My router is set to give Ooma priority over other network devices. I pay for the premium service solely for the blacklist feature. I use the community blacklist as well as adding my own numbers. Telemarketers get a (Number Disconnected) message.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61

Accepting suggestions.

MagicJack Plus. Have has the service for several years and that specific device for two years. No problems with the Plus whatsoever. The commercials and the website are nutty but the thing works as advertised.

We have spotty cell service at home so use the regular phone quite a bit. The service also lets you associate your address for 911.

3point1for

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3point1for

I purchased one of the refurbs from Woot before the end of the year. I took too long to try it out (due to delaying my purchase of a handset) and it turned out our unit was defective. It would work for a while and then spontaneously reboot. The problem was, the unit would get stuck in the reboot cycle and become unusable. Although it was a bit frustrating, Ooma customer service did eventually send us a replacement unit that has worked flawlessly. However, they did go through all of their required steps of making sure I tried different ethernet cords, different configurations, etc. (even though none of these changes would have explained the issue I was having.)

prcaptain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prcaptain

Can 2 comas be ported to the same number? Then I could have the same phone number for home and camp.

bowlingb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bowlingb

$110 at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Free-Phone-Service/dp/B002O3W4LE

There does appear to be a newer model available. No idea what is different though, if anything.
http://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Phone-Service-Device/dp/B00I4XMEYA

vertabrae

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vertabrae

I bought one here, several years back and it has performed well. It has survived being knocked off the phone stand by my cat, the ultimate test.

I echo the posters who say to not buy the $40 wireless adapter, it is overpriced and prone to breaking off if you have a feline stuff breaking system installed. Get a used wireless bridge for $20 and plug the Ethernet in, I have done this with my ooma and a mifi, works great. That way you can put the ooma and mifi anywhere in your house and take both with you when you travel (snowbird).

I balked at the $40 fee to port my landline over, and cancelled the premier service after the free trial. Probably going to take a free port to a VOIP provider later this year. You can get a "free" port or wireless adapter if you pay for a year of premier up front. Your call.

The ooma is nice since it can power your house jacks if you disconnect the telco cable outside your house after you shut it off.

It did not play well with my alarm system, but I didn't really put a lot of effort into the trial, and some posts in their forum say it can be done. I have since cancelled the monitoring. I did get ooma working with my TiVo modem back when I had a model that wanted to dial in. You have to add commas or stars to the call number for pauses,the support form helps here.

The tip about calling from the GV site is a great one, you type in who you unwanted to call, it rings your ooma line, you pick up and it rings, with the person you call seeing the CID that GV sends.

One warning. Ooma launched with paid hardware and a promise of free service for life for the original scout and hub model. A trip to their support forum provides a long read on how they are backing out of that commitment and charging these early backers now. It's probably just the taxes and 911 fees that they are tired of eating, but it gave me pause. How long before they decide to pull the free rug out from telo customers to force them onto hypothetical new fees to encourage upgrades to current hardware is my question. You might have a year or three, but personally, I see it coming, hopefully after the box finally dies in my case.

My take is that for about the same cost you can get a cordless phone system that will connect to your cell phone as a Bluetooth handset and have just one phone number or two if you use GV. Given the choice now, I would get the phone not the ooma. I am hoping for woot to sell these again, missed the last one by >< this much.

emair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emair

After seeing the comments on the last appearance on Woot, I got one and tested it behind my Vonage router. Quality was fine and then finally replaced my nearly 10 year old Vonage box ($40/month!) with this device and the basic service. Ported my number effortlessly for $40. Now my monthly bill is $3 and change.

I am impressed by the port forwarding features that work great. In addition, in the past my Vonage router would need a reboot now and then, otherwise, my internet throughput would drop significantly (heavy VPN use, Netflix, etc.) The Ooma router, by comparison, has kept me at solid fast speeds to the internet for weeks. I don't use it for the answering machine at all. I have it on a UPS in case of power failure.

Reading online, I found hitting *98 (to use the highest sound quality for the call), and then *70 to turn off call waiting, enabled me to reliably send faxes every time.

My only gripe is the tone when you pick up the phone.

All in all, fantastic purchase.

rmsalt

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rmsalt

I love my Ooma. I've had it for 4 years and I couldn't be happier with the service. This is a great deal.