spahkee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spahkee

Looks like I can port the GV phone number and pay the $39.99 charge. If I get the bluetooth adapter, can I get the device to pick up and ring if my mobile phone is within range? For example: if I'm in the house and I get a phone call to my Oooma device, it rings my handset, right? If I later get a phone call to my mobile phone and I'm in the house, with the Ooma device pick up the mobile call, ring the handset so I can use the handset for the mobile call?

Basically,I want to use Ooma for calls to my primary home phone number but also be able to use it to route my cell phone calls to a handset when I'm in the house.

Question 2: Do I need to purchase the Ooma bluetooth adapter to do this "use for 2 phone numbers" function ($49.99 on Amazon) or can I buy a generic bluetooth adapter for the Ooma device (a heck of a lot cheaper)?

andeealthoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andeealthoff

Those of you who have this device: What do you do about voice mail?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
klandon61 wrote:MagicJack Plus. Have has the service for several years and that specific device for two years. No problems with the Plus whatsoever. The commercials and the website are nutty but the thing works as advertised.

We have spotty cell service at home so use the regular phone quite a bit. The service also lets you associate your address for 911.

Even with good DSL, my Magic Jack dropped calls 95% of the time. Bought this unit last Woot and it has NEVER dropped a call.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey y'all

Don't want you to overlook the add-on handset that we also have for sale.

Click here

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ronzo646

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ronzo646
steveken wrote:With Google killing off Voice access for devices like the Obi100, do you guys think it is worth the $4 or so a month plus the cost of this device if you don't use the home phone very much? I mean, we RARELY ever use the home phone. Most people and places have our cell phone numbers.

I just don't wanna be without a house phone just in case we need it for something. Plus, I want my kids to know how to use a regular phone. I just am not sure I can talk my wife into shelling out good money for yet another VoIP device and the monthly fees that go with it.

Accepting suggestions.

The way I talk my wife into getting on is due to the fact the children might need to make emergency calls while were now around or if my parents need to make calls at my house. Plus if our minutes are near their max, I'll just lower cell my usage and make calls with the Ooma. Plus being able to check my call logs through the website is pretty awesome if I need to.

gephardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gephardt

I've had one since July. I pay less than $3.80 a month so the refurb price I paid has already paid for the unit twice. I had Uverse hooked up at the same time, so I just asked the AT&T tech to disconnect the phone line, and the Ooma now serves all the wired jacks in my dwelling. Works like a charm, as long as the internet is "on."

orijonl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orijonl

I've had an Ooma Hub (older model) for some time now and have been absolutely tickled with my service (I pay nothing, no taxes, fees, etc.)

I'm wondering how I would get them to switch my old number to this new box if I picked one up and if I would be charged taxes and fees now.

orijonl

ronzo646

waffle wrote:can they port a GV #? Still thinking this through...

I kinda think I could live w/o the GV integration...I think

I could, of course, keep the GV # AND have an ooma assigned OTHER #

Go to Ooma website and ask a rep. Usually they are fast and can direct you on how its done.

ronzo646

orijonl wrote:I've had an Ooma Hub (older model) for some time now and have been absolutely tickled with my service (I pay nothing, no taxes, fees, etc.)

I'm wondering how I would get them to switch my old number to this new box if I picked one up and if I would be charged taxes and fees now.

From what I get the old policy is tied to the unit. So if you port the number to the new telo, you would fall into the new terms. So if you can keep the hub going, I would try.

onepahoo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages onepahoo

We've found the Ooma VoIP Router works well, but we also discovered that Ooma customer service ranks below the level of courtesy and comprehension of the denizens of Dante's "eighth ring of Hell" in the "Inferno". (Please note that it's only a coincidence that the eighth ring is affiliated with "fraud", since Dante doesn't list a spot in Hell for incompetence).

Fortunately, Ooma accessories are sold by Amazon, so if you ever need any replacement parts or accessories (including batteries should you ever purchase one of Ooma's phones for running a second line with their "Premier Plan"), save the aggravation and deal with Amazon rather than Ooma.

ronzo646

steveken wrote:The Ooma number is just a regular phone number? And I take it they have numbers in every state?

EDIT: I'll just shut up and look at their website now.

Here's the reference link for others.
http://www.ooma.com/products/choose-number

skoper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skoper
khufu413 wrote:We have had this for a couple years now. While we did fully cut the cord two months ago, this was a wonderful transition device to get us past the irrational "no home phone" fears. Total bill was around $3 a month and service was great. I guess its time to sell ours (not to anyone here (I wont snipe a sale from woot (unless you make an offer I cannot refuse (like $3000 (or best offer (I like nested parentheticals (a lot))))))).

Keep in mind though, that the person buying your Telo will have to pay a reactivation fee ($9.99 currently). The factory refurb doesn't require a reactivation fee.

ronzo646

creiss74 wrote:Anyone using this with the wifi adapter? I may get this for my mother who misses having a home phone but she would need this device to connect to a wifi network.

Quality drop noticeable?

Not from what I can tell. Not completely sure on the range but I have a fairly large place and it makes it across just fine.

11dndd11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 11dndd11

9 mos. and counting the savings. Went from $60 a month to VZ to $4.90 a month w/ Ooma. Previously had a DigitOne call blocker and it has no problem w/ Ooma connected through the old VZ jacks throughout the home.
Grabbed 2 power supplies (UPS) - 1 for cable modem, router and Ooma and 1 for cordless phone base station. Lights have gone out, but, so far, not the phone/cable.
Thinking about grabbing another Ooma, just for backup while they're cheaper.

ronzo646

desinady wrote:Interesting comments. Can someone tell me about the international calls pricing? It says a penny?! And calls to Northern Canada get charged the same as international? I call Africa often and need details on this part if anyone would please. Many thx!

Here's the link.
http://www.ooma.com/products/international

The drop down for countries in lower on the page.

ronzo646

andeealthoff wrote:Those of you who have this device: What do you do about voice mail?

Voice mail can be configured in your account once you get one. I set it to ring out later than my handset, so voice mails go to my handset instead. If you have the Ooma take the voice mails, you can listen to voice mail through your account via internet. Fairly easy.

ronzo646

Sorry it my messages might have spelling error or grammar issues. I am currently on my cell.

If you wonder about what your rates would be in your area. Here's the link.

http://www.ooma.com/products/taxes-fees

Paverbart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paverbart

Been running mine for nearly 2 years and figure I've easily saved $500. No complaints with call quality or stability. Bill is about $4/mo. The only issue I've had is I've never been able to successfully dial out and connect with my Series 1 Tivo (yes I know it's ancient but it has a lifetime subscription)

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher

Anyone have 2 of these running on the same network segment? I need 2 separate numbers - or can I do this with one device?

TCayer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TCayer
steveken wrote:With Google killing off Voice access for devices like the Obi100, do you guys think it is worth the $4 or so a month plus the cost of this device if you don't use the home phone very much? I mean, we RARELY ever use the home phone. Most people and places have our cell phone numbers.

I just don't wanna be without a house phone just in case we need it for something. Plus, I want my kids to know how to use a regular phone. I just am not sure I can talk my wife into shelling out good money for yet another VoIP device and the monthly fees that go with it.

Accepting suggestions.

The "monthly fees" are only for taxes and 911 fees- THERE's your selling point- You want your family to be able to call 911 from home! Even if you do it from a cell, there's no guarantee help will find you as fast as having a "land line" at your house! I've had mine four several years, and when I first got it, I called 911 to see if it displayed my location, and it did! I'm with you that I never use the phone, but this thing is great, and this price is $40 less than I paid! My fees run from $3.71-$3.82 per month...

TCayer

lurcher wrote:Anyone have 2 of these running on the same network segment? I need 2 separate numbers - or can I do this with one device?

You get two numbers with the service. It's been a while, but I believe you can also get two different area codes, in case you have elderly relatives in another location who still pay Ma Bell per call.. (can you even do that any more?) If you have the handset for sale below the home page, you can also make two calls at the same time!

ronzo646

lurcher wrote:Anyone have 2 of these running on the same network segment? I need 2 separate numbers - or can I do this with one device?

You can have two numbers for one Ooma. Its offered in the Premier Service. I don't know for certain if you have it without it.

TCayer

andeealthoff wrote:Those of you who have this device: What do you do about voice mail?

I have a corded base phone with 4 cordless handsets plugged into the Ooma! I set the rings on the base to pick up first. The only time the Telo gets a call is if we're on the phone.

TCayer

What a great price! I've had mine for years, and paid more than this! I HATE the phone, and don't want to pay for one. This only costs me $3.71-3.82 per month, and has free long distance. If I DID use the phone more- the Premier service is an awesome deal! Call blocking, emailed voice mails, forwarding to any number, simultaneous ringing to your mobile... I just don't use the phone enough to justify the $10 per month for the service. If you get a handset (also for sale here) you can even make two calls at the same time! I've used it to send faxes as well. I see those ads on TV for other services (like vonage and magic jack) and I just laugh!
Just buy one, already!

TCayer

ronzo646 wrote:You can have two numbers for one Ooma. Its offered in the Premier Service. I don't know for certain if you have it without it.

I'm pretty sure you have it with the basic device, but can only use it if you have a handset. I think it's how the device can receive messages even when you are on the phone!

justvashu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justvashu

If I already have a land line and just want to use the VOIP service inside my home from one VOIP phone to the other like an intercom is this possible?

Also I'm outside the US.

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow

Yes, you can have 2 Telo units in 1 physical location. (different phone numbers).I currently have 1 Telo ported over the old land line number. This unit is hard wired into all the jacks in the house, UPS'd and 2 cordless and a corded phone. I bought a second Telo, running basic ($4.37 last month), that I use when going on trips to the cabin, or around the country. PLEASE NOTE: This box does do E911, so if you move it, make sure you log onto the Ooma portal and update it wherever you take the box.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey, CNet just picked up this deal. Don't dally too long.

CNet Article

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

waffle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages waffle

OK, I popped for one. I knew I was going to so just gave in

I had the Ooma/GV solution so now I just need to figure out how to integrate things.

I would like to keep my GV # so it sounds like it CAN be ported

I have wireless handsets (with a base) that I should be able to use.

My only confusion is with what I get with the Premier support and GV? Why do I need the premier?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I now do a pre-recorded syndicated radio show a contractor (vs doing it at some other location).

Since I now have to make a LOT of calls booking and confirming guests, I got this unit in the last Woot go-round. It has been fantastic, with NO dropouts. The money spent on my Majic Jack was a total waste with almost 100% dropouts.

I do not give out the number or use with Google whatever, but sometimes cell phone users ignore my voicemail giving the land-line number and just hit some callback button.

This unit is good enough that I can use it with my audio interface to record interviews with guests with NO discernable loss of quality over my land-line (which I keep for other reasons).

Just calling to work numbers was costing me $30 a month, and that was before I did all the bookings at home!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

cncguy2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cncguy2000

how does this compare to Skype?

aaustin29

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aaustin29
desinady wrote:Interesting comments. Can someone tell me about the international calls pricing? It says a penny?! And calls to Northern Canada get charged the same as international? I call Africa often and need details on this part if anyone would please. Many thx!

International rates are on their website. In order to make an international call, you must sign up for a prepaid plan or load a min of $10 in your account. We just used this yesterday. Tried calling France, and a voice told us that we had $0 in our account. Logged into our account, load $10, and made the call within a few minutes.

kickin74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kickin74
klandon61 wrote:MagicJack Plus. Have has the service for several years and that specific device for two years. No problems with the Plus whatsoever. The commercials and the website are nutty but the thing works as advertised.

We have spotty cell service at home so use the regular phone quite a bit. The service also lets you associate your address for 911.

I don't have too many complaints about MJ. It worked for the most part without any extreme issues.

I had the original MagicJack for several years and then MJ+ for the last couple (6 years total). The sound quality and volume level via the OOMA is much better. Cordless phone volume was maxed out with MJ and I still had trouble hearing. OOMA and the same cordless phones are at the lowest volume level now and it's crystal clear. Also no more delays when someone answers the phone (it would take 5-7 seconds before I could hear them and they could hear me).

My broadband service is TWC residential and is 50x5 with an Asus RT-AC68U WiFi router. The OOMA is installed with one CAT5e cable to a GBE switch and not in between the router and cable modem.

I also have the Verizon Network Extender for our cell phone coverage to take care of the PATHETIC signal that we have within about a 1/2 mile surrounding our house.

aaustin29

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aaustin29

One nice feature that we've used a ton is the call blocking. You can scroll through your call list and block specific callers (telemarketers). I've found the number of spam call dropped significantly since I've had Ooma. And, yes, i'm on the DNC list.

flexgames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flexgames

The main concern I have is quality. I have tried Obi (which was the worst), Vonage (not so much better) and now I'm using Comcast's for $30+ per month which has the best but some occasional quality issues (especially when I have an upload going). How would others compare the Ooma with Comcast's VOIP, if you have had both? Or the quality in general when there can be some fair to heavy internet use? Thanks

wizeguy6

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wizeguy6
spahkee wrote:Looks like I can port the GV phone number and pay the $39.99 charge. If I get the bluetooth adapter, can I get the device to pick up and ring if my mobile phone is within range? For example: if I'm in the house and I get a phone call to my Oooma device, it rings my handset, right? If I later get a phone call to my mobile phone and I'm in the house, with the Ooma device pick up the mobile call, ring the handset so I can use the handset for the mobile call?

Basically,I want to use Ooma for calls to my primary home phone number but also be able to use it to route my cell phone calls to a handset when I'm in the house.

Question 2: Do I need to purchase the Ooma bluetooth adapter to do this "use for 2 phone numbers" function ($49.99 on Amazon) or can I buy a generic bluetooth adapter for the Ooma device (a heck of a lot cheaper)?

Frankly, for the price of that BT adapter, I'd recommend maybe a new home phone that has such BT functionality already integrated. I use my Ooma Telo with a multi-handset Panasonic DECT 6.0 system (I HIGHLY recommend!) that automatically links my cell and my wife's the moment we walk in the door. Lots to be said for a modern phone linked to a great device like the Telo.

For the record, I have had my Telo for over a year now. Absolutely love it!

risurfdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages risurfdog

sorry if it's already been asked but does this come with a handset?

kdorff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdorff

I recently decided I was tired of what Time Warner Cable charges me every month. I have their Triple Play because I like cable TV and I need internet and sadly I NEED to have a reliable home phone and my cell phone isn't reliable in my apartment.

I decided to give Ooma a try a couple weeks ago (sadly, I should have waited another week since here it's $40 cheaper).

My report is: Quality doesn't seem really any different from TWC. Easy to use. Easy to setup. I'm pleased with it.

Cons: Internet or modem goes down, so does your phone. This is likely the same as with TWC's phone service.

Big Plus: I don't plan to keep their Premium at this point, I will save some money when I drop he phone service.

I bought an HDTV Antenna. I intend to see if I can live without cable. We'll see. I may work to drop to a smaller plan. We'll see.

krusty3401

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krusty3401

This may be a dumb question, but what is your telephone number?

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow
risurfdog wrote:sorry if it's already been asked but does this come with a handset?

No. Any standard corded or cordless phone will work though