lichme

quality posts: 2864 Private Messages lichme

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Gear Pro 720p HD Sport Action Cam
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Apr 30 to Monday, May 05) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
11/7/2013 - $39.99 - 41 comment(s)
9/24/2013 - $39.99 (Woot-off) - 1 comment(s)
7/17/2013 - $39.99 (Woot-off) - 70 comment(s)

8/2/2013 - $39.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

TheBoMan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TheBoMan

ankur88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankur88

Almost bought it because i confused Go Pro and Gear Pro. No way they are giving Go Pros for 40 bucks.

taurine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages taurine
ankur88 wrote:Almost bought it because i confused Go Pro and Gear Pro. No way they are giving Go Pros for 40 bucks.

I don't think even Black Edition GoPros are worth that. Even on Vimeo they look like a lower bitrate than my Mobius keychain camera from eBay. Or my waterproof Toshiba Camileo I bought here on Woot 2 years ago. 1080p isn't worth much if it just looks like an enlarged 720p video.

mamoth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mamoth

Does it do time lapse? If so, can you set it to how often you want the pic to be taken?

bowlingb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bowlingb

$44.99 at the mother ship with free prime shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Pro-High-Definition-Action-Wide-Angle-Camcorder/dp/B00CDSO9KE/
Reviews are pretty bad with more 1 star reviews than the others combined.

makovsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages makovsky

Don't be mistaken, NOT GO Pro!

cikatriz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cikatriz

If you have to call your product Gear Pro just to trick consumers into thinking it's a Go Pro then you probably don't have much to offer.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

No, it's not GoPro, but it's also not $300 either. And you'll feel a whole lot less silly losing a model plane with one of these on board than you would a GoPro.

Or plowing into a tree and lunching this cheap cam... On the whole, it's a good value.

a1000wtp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages a1000wtp

Came on here to see if this is something worth buying. From the comments I'm guessing its a no?

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002
mamoth wrote:Does it do time lapse? If so, can you set it to how often you want the pic to be taken?

I see no mention of time lapse in the manual

insightgoalie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insightgoalie

I know it's a crappy knock off, but this might be perfect for me. I've been wanting a GoPro to use as a netcam when I play hockey (I'm a goalie). However, spending $300 for something that is getting pucks shot at it and may be a novelty seemed a bit much. Have to find out how well it does with action footage, will I be able to see the puck in the video?

tomrdcinc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomrdcinc

I bought one last time and have been disappointed. Battery doesnt hold a charge for 10 minutes. So if you are getting real active stay close to an outlet.

burdel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burdel
taurine wrote:I don't think even Black Edition GoPros are worth that. Even on Vimeo they look like a lower bitrate than my Mobius keychain camera from eBay. Or my waterproof Toshiba Camileo I bought here on Woot 2 years ago. 1080p isn't worth much if it just looks like an enlarged 720p video.

Apples and oranges...ductape your keychain and Camileo on your motocross helmet and see if the video is better than a GOPRO. GoPro's are now 4x.

c4warhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c4warhead

Absolute garbage! Would not turn on right out of the box. There is no documentation that indicates manufacturer, warranty or contact information. Worst Woot purchase I have ever made, by far.

tomcat5909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomcat5909

Here's a short video taken when I first got one last fall (excuse the thumb). For 45 bucks delivered, can't complain. It's an inexpensive way to try out the world of "mini-cams" without breaking the bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWOnYGxZD9U&feature=youtu.be

rwcrosby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwcrosby

From looking at the specs, it only shoots 720 at 30 fps. This will look very choppy on anything fast moving (like for anything one would use a sport action cam). If you want to shoot 60 fps, you need to cut the resolution down to SD.

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

I wooted the Pyle 1024HD back in Dec. for $69. It's on my motorcycle and it works OK and I'm kinda glad I bought it. But this GearPro doesn't have some features I like on the Pyle and deoes have some aimilar atttributes which I find a failing.

First, this camera has an internal battery. this means that you can't swap to a fresh one and continue. You're done.

I don't see that this has a vehicle mode like my Pyle. In The Pyle, vehicle mode auomatically creates a new file every three minutes so you never exceed your storage. It erases the oldest file to make room for the next.

I don't see that this has an image reverse so you can mount upside down.

Only AVI video like my pyle. My LG blu-ray with USB won't play the AVI producted by the Pyle. MGEG is better I think.

In cold weather the Pyle suction cup doesn't suck. That sucks. (In my car). Maybe this one is better?

There's other things but these are worth thinking about. All in all, this class of sports camera is good for seeing what you like about sports video. Don't pretend it's a GoPro, but for this price you can dabble and it does work.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

If you do get one, be sure to get a class 10 memory card and keep the box and shipping material handy just in case.

joef8577

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joef8577

Just came to say the write up had me in tears this morning

aquamaninc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aquamaninc

Bought the 1080 version a couple months ago and have a real hard time editing the video on my mac, none of the mac software are compatible with it, have to download a version to watch and is not easy to manipulate. Works good, put a pain to edit.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and never opened the box. They are not Mac compatible. It only infers that on the box by saying what it is compatible with and Macs are not on it. Woot refunded my hard earned bucks but I'm surprised they didn't mention this on this go around.

gertswerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gertswerd

This camera is a piece of crap, don't waste your time. Battery life is only a few minutes, the picture quality is horrible, and the waterproof case? Not waterproof. Plus, the camera just stopped working after the second use. I used points to get a GoPro and have loved my decision. Complete knock off of the GoPro. Remember, you get what you pay for.

dfox982

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfox982

Could never get it to turn on. Company wanted more then paid for it to ship it to them and pay for return shipping so that they could ffix it under warranty. Woot was no help either. They only answered my firstemail and said sorry. Don't waste your money on this cheap knock off.
David

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
c4warhead wrote:Absolute garbage! Would not turn on right out of the box. There is no documentation that indicates manufacturer, warranty or contact information. Worst Woot purchase I have ever made, by far.

Did you charge it first? Almost no camera with an internal battery will turn on right out the box.

That no warranty info thing may violate the Manuson-Moss act which required sellers to at east keep on file the information you require. BUT READ THE LAST SENTENCE HERE!!!

"According to the Report of the House of Representatives which accompanied the law (House Report No. 93-1197, 93d Cong 2d Sess.) the Magnuson–Moss act was enacted by Congress in response to the widespread misuse by merchants of express warranties and disclaimers. The legislative history indicates that the purpose of the Act is to make warranties on consumer products more readily understood and enforceable and to provide the Federal Trade Commission with means to better protect consumers.

The statute is remedial in nature and is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices.

Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson–Moss Act."

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
ankur88 wrote:Almost bought it because i confused Go Pro and Gear Pro. No way they are giving Go Pros for 40 bucks.

For some reason the old, old lyrics popped into my head when I saw this item: "She looks like an angel; she walks like an angel; talks like an angel...but there's a devil inside!"

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
Seanegfunk wrote:Dear Woot,
Alaska is a real place and people can ship things here. If you would like I can help you find people here are a few I know that ship here. Not sure if you have heard of them

http://www.ups.com
http://www.fedex.com

They are small little companies but they sure would like your business. I am sure they would love to ship your items to Alaska.

I don't think anyone ordering from Alaska would care if you charged a little more to ship here.

If I actually got an item from you I would be so excited I would probably ship you some Salmon but I would have to find a company to ship it and I understand thats very hard.

From USPS.com, I direct your attention to #a, I think that's the issue:
135.63 Secondary Lithium-ion (Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries
Small consumer-type lithium-ion cells and batteries like those used to power cell phones and laptop computers are mailable in a single shipment with the following restrictions:
a. The batteries must be installed in the equipment be­ing shipped.
b. Each shipment may contain a maximum of only four lithium-ion cells or two lithium-ion batteries.
c. The lithium content must not exceed 20 Watt-hour rating (Wh) per cell.
d. The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 100 Wh per battery.
e. Each battery must bear the Wh marking on the bat­tery to determine if it is within the limits defined in 123.63c and 123.63d.
f. The batteries installed in the equipment must be pro­tected from damage and short circuit.
g. The equipment must be equipped with an effective means of preventing it from being turned on or activated.
h. The equipment must be contained in a strong sealed package and cushioned to prevent movement or damage.
=============

Similar rules at UPS and FedEx (PDF).

d3nnis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d3nnis

i bought one of these. i realized i have 3-4 other woot cameras which could do the same (but not under water).
charged it up, tested its waterproofocity (it was water proof)
and took it to the pool.
in order to get the lens underwater and still get the suction cup on a tile part pf the pool wall, i had to turn it upside down. (no prob, i'll fix it with sony vegas).
so i shot myself swimming laps.
i shot for about half an hr. and brought it home.
sony vegas couldn't open the ginormous files (it films for 10-15 minutes and makes a new file)
so i had to open them with windows movie maker first.
then vegas could open them and edit them.
the pictures were awesome!
i ut like 32 gig card in it and i realized the batteries would have to last like 2 hours. i think they were good for about an hr.
i cant see why you need a go pro except as a designer logo.

tomcat5909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomcat5909

For those comparing this $40 unit to a $200+ Go Pro-----------------are you serious? It's like comparing a Chevy Spark (MSRP $12,995) to a Corvette (MSRP $53,000). Both are cars but the performance level is a tad different between them.
It is what it is, an inexpensive alternative to play around with this type of video recording. If you enjoy it, fine. Upgrade to a Go Pro. If not, you've only wasted 40 bucks (45 with shipping) to try.

keranene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keranene

Thanks, I missed the name before you pointed that out. I was ready to buy.

Ruzzell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ruzzell

This camera is sold under various brand names, i.e. Vivitar 785. I've had the battery last at least 45 minutes on a charge. Only complaint I have with the camera is that you can't record when it is charging. So when using it as a dash cam, it will only work as long as the battery lasts and can't be externally powered if on a long drive.

joelcbrand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelcbrand

Amazon reviews for this camera say it is cheap junk, and the battery only lasts a few minutes.

sml2727

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sml2727

Do not buy this piece of junk, if something breaks on it, there is no way of buying parts for it.

greyrockone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyrockone
a1000wtp wrote:Came on here to see if this is something worth buying. From the comments I'm guessing its a no?

That is exactly the impression I get..

greyrockone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyrockone
radi0j0hn wrote:For some reason the old, old lyrics popped into my head when I saw this item: "She looks like an angel; she walks like an angel; talks like an angel...but there's a devil inside!"

If you were to buy it then the lyrics would be "It's sad to belong to someone else when the right one comes along"

gyul1031

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gyul1031

Can i get it delivered to FPO address?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

gyul1031 wrote:Can i get it delivered to FPO address?

per the listing in today's offer:

Shipping Note: Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii is not available for this item.

A physical address is required for delivery. No Military or PO Box shipments available.

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20
insightgoalie wrote:I know it's a crappy knock off, but this might be perfect for me. I've been wanting a GoPro to use as a netcam when I play hockey (I'm a goalie). However, spending $300 for something that is getting pucks shot at it and may be a novelty seemed a bit much. Have to find out how well it does with action footage, will I be able to see the puck in the video?

Something tells me that you haven't seen this:

http://gizmodo.com/5943506/heres-what-happens-when-you-accidentally-drop-a-gopro-from-12500-feet

(Same video, posted by the original user):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU-KvtA20v8

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.