zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

DJI Phantom FC40 UAV Drone Quadcopter
Price: $429.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, May 02 to Monday, May 05) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

jeffdoh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffdoh

This is the coolest product I've seen on here in a long time. Love! Can't afford!

Jeffrey Lax

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this review from gizmag.com and check out the product page

rjolly87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjolly87

http://1sale.com/electronics/portable-electronics/drone-quadcopter-for-gopro/

It is also worth noting there is some competition in the form of a similar unit, sporting just a gopro mount for $389.99

ganesanchennai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ganesanchennai

http://1sale.com/electronics/portable-electronics/drone-quadcopter-for-gopro/

has the same deal for less today

[MOD EDIT: 1Sale offer does NOT include camera]

tradergeorge

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tradergeorge
jeffdoh wrote:This is the coolest product I've seen on here in a long time. Love! Can't afford!

I could afford this if I did not buy anything else for the rest of the year......AHHH, what the heck, I am in!!!

otherhand

quality posts: 4 Private Messages otherhand

Under Features the description states:

The 2.4GHz ISM frequency give you control up to 980 feet away

Aside from the wonky grammar, this is at odds with the info on page 8 of the Phantom User Manual. It gives the transmitter range of the USA (FCC) version as 500 meters (1,640 feet).

booleiu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages booleiu

But the Woot quadcopter already includes a HD camera. The other site only has the mount for a GoPro (sold separately).

rjolly87 wrote:http://1sale.com/electronics/portable-electronics/drone-quadcopter-for-gopro/

It is also worth noting there is some competition in the form of a similar unit, sporting just a gopro mount for $389.99

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

1Sale is asking $389, but they took the camera out.

But note that the FC40 is really the original Phantom with different flight control radio, and a camera added (or not from 1Sale).

It has the limitations of the original small battery, and uses an out-dated Naza board. Mounting a gimbal is also harder on the FC40 than Phantom 2.

The Phantom line isn't really good for hacking and upgrading because the hull is closed. If you buy or build a more open frame, you can add better FPV, more/bigger battery and better camera mount.

bluckain

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bluckain

If I'm not mistaken, the woot item can use a gopro as well. What are the difference between the two?

rjolly87 wrote:http://1sale.com/electronics/portable-electronics/drone-quadcopter-for-gopro/

[MOD: Ours includes a Wi-Fi HD camera]

supjam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages supjam

Really cool, something similar was used immediately after the Arkansas tornado this week:

oggusfoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oggusfoo

5 miles is a lot longer than you think (flight has to be done beyond 5 miles from, as understand it, any airfield). even if controller can do 1500 feet or whatever, that's out and up. FCC limits you to 300 or 350 ft high. also, all the cool articles on joystiq and engadget are for the next gen version which has all the real simple gps stabilization and is the easiest thing ever to fly. Finally, with all that you can still easily crash and when you do you will break a motor and unless you are masterful at soldering, you will end up with something that is of no use.

yes, I did that, bought 4 batteries, an awesome travel case, and a replacement motor, but don't have the guts to fix the thing. Yes, this is older battery technology; you can get cheaper knockoffs from China than gen 2, but it still is 1/2 a grand.

ahawks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ahawks

Before you buy, before you fly, take some time to think about what this is. It's a $400 flying blender, not a toy.

It can hurt people. Just do a google image search for "quadcopter injury" (warning: gore). It can break things, and it an break. You should lean proper flying techniques on a cheaper/smaller/more durable/less dangerous quad (think $50 toy range) first.

Primarily... just be safe. Don't fly this indoors. Don't fly it around people.

otherhand

quality posts: 4 Private Messages otherhand
bluckain wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the woot item can use a gopro as well. What are the difference between the two?

The 1Sale Phantom doesn't have any sort of camera, just a camera mount. The Woot Phantom comes with a (sorta) HD WiFi camera for FPV use.

A possibly more important difference is the 1Sale Phantom uses a 2.4 GHz RC transmitter with a range of 1,000 meters. The Woot Phantom uses a 5.8 GHz RC transmitter with only a 500 meter range.

Apples or oranges?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

UPDATE: Please be aware that today's Woot offer (DJ Phantom FC40UAV Drone Quadcopter) does include the DJI FC40 Camera.

mattsdad97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattsdad97

Amazon supposedly one day will have something like this delivering small packages. Oh goodie here comes my package.Oh wait there goes my package get back here ,hey that's mine. Amazon excuse me but my package I ordered just kept on flying away.Huh Sorry sir but there are about 10 in your area Right now. Wait I see it,oh its my child hes playing with his DJI PHANTOM FC40 UAV Drone Quadcopter. Silly child Teenager making fun of Dad again.Lol

claydeaux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claydeaux

I have the previous version of this that just comes with the gopro mount (same as on 1sale). It's awesome!

The range on the original is basically 1000 feet. You can also buy and set up a live feed from the gopro back to a monitor so you can see what the camera sees in real time.

Get one! But they are not toys for children.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Cool animation showing a 360 degree view.

garygary52

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garygary52

Does anyone know what are the major difference between the 1st and 2nd gen? The price is a huge different. Btw, I had bad experience with 1sale, they sent me a fake tracking number and refused to refund my order for 5 months..

mattjk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattjk

Yay. More naza flyaways.
https://www.google.com/search?q=naza+flyaway&oq=naza+flyaway

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

Interesting coincidence. Someone was flying one of these at work tonight and it looked like a blast.

...But I don't know if the fun is worth $435+...

dsscheibe

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dsscheibe

From what little I know about them this is a nice one. Better than the ones two of my co-workers have but I can't afford that. It does come with a WIFI camera. I don't believe the gopro has WIFI if you were to buy the cheaper one without a camera. Enclosed rotors would be a good idea. Been too windy to fly them here lately.

My co-workers don't have gps, one was flying it in the ally behind work when a gust of wind took it over the building and it landed in the parking lot.

dinosquirrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dinosquirrel

These things are pieces of ████. In the realm of Quad copters these things are over priced and have many faults. Check out RC shops and what they have to offer and you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the competition is actually not in the same ball park, in a good way, for the same price.

Just another Amazon push.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman
ahawks wrote:Before you buy, before you fly, take some time to think about what this is. It's a $400 flying blender, not a toy.

It can hurt people. Just do a google image search for "quadcopter injury" (warning: gore). It can break things, and it an break. You should lean proper flying techniques on a cheaper/smaller/more durable/less dangerous quad (think $50 toy range) first.

Primarily... just be safe. Don't fly this indoors. Don't fly it around people.

Good points!

jnida63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnida63
otherhand wrote:Under Features the description states:

Aside from the wonky grammar, this is at odds with the info on page 8 of the Phantom User Manual. It gives the transmitter range of the USA (FCC) version as 500 meters (1,640 feet).

That is for FPV camera, not the remote. the remote operates on 5.8GHZ

JCho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCho

To: WootWriters
Re: Words

I think you mean 'flout' where you use "flaunt".

[MOD: Good catch. I'll let them know...when they wake up.]

igoinsane67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages igoinsane67

If I could afford this, I would spy on our government.

(just kidding NSA)

promize

quality posts: 1 Private Messages promize
jeffdoh wrote:This is the coolest product I've seen on here in a long time. Love! Can't afford!

Woke up this morning and said the same thing. Might be the best item I've seen Woot ever sale.

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady

Ooooooo... 14%... such a generous discount.

Now I'll have the best seat in the house from outside the stadium, along with a cooler of beer and a jumbo HDTV, my weekend is made!

Ya think 3 ought to give me adequate field coverage... ?

crocxxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crocxxx
garygary52 wrote:Does anyone know what are the major difference between the 1st and 2nd gen? The price is a huge different. Btw, I had bad experience with 1sale, they sent me a fake tracking number and refused to refund my order for 5 months..

From what I read before, the "homing" accuracy is the big difference. A few owners complained of losing their 1st gen drones in the swamps. These units are supposed to come back "home" when its remote goes out of range and the mfr improved that feature in the 2nd gen.

tmonkey66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tmonkey66

I have a comparable uav, a 3dr Iris. Do not buy this thinking your expenses end at $429. You will crash and need replacement props and other parts. LiPo batteries are especially fickle if not maintained properly (and expensive). And let's hope you don't really enjoy it and want to upgrade - you'll pretty quickly be in the thousands for the next level of UAV. (I love mine and have no regrets, but it is an expensive toy.)

aielli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aielli
dinosquirrel wrote:These things are pieces of ████. In the realm of Quad copters these things are over priced and have many faults. Check out RC shops and what they have to offer and you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the competition is actually not in the same ball park, in a good way, for the same price.

Just another Amazon push.

Please provide examples of sub $500 quads that are better than this one. Hell.. sub $1000. I have this and have been looking to upgrade because I like to tinker and this one is pretty closed up. It's a great start though for anyone looking to get into the hobby. For <$500 you have everything you need to get started.

nyurbiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyurbiz

I have serious wood for one of these but it's a bit spendy for me. My buddy's latest drone vid production is here: http://vimeo.com/93217834 He has several other drone vids there as well. I believe he is using a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver on a gimbel.

teedo757

quality posts: 6 Private Messages teedo757

I got excited until I saw it was a measly 14 percent off I have 2 AR drones and have been waiting to upgrade to something better but this would not "fly" with my wife.

mderoller

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mderoller

Compared to Amazon it's actually only 6% off if you include tax and shipping. Amazon offers quicker shipping if you subscribe to Prime and better options for returning.

teedo757 wrote:I got excited until I saw it was a measly 14 percent off I have 2 AR drones and have been waiting to upgrade to something better but this would not "fly" with my wife.

BPL5683

quality posts: 25 Private Messages BPL5683

Staff

I really love the (non-spying) possibilities for drones. They used a GoPro camera for this one, but the drone was a Phantom

Email customer service: support@woot.com for order problems ~OR~ Use the Support form linked at the top of every page.

djslack

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djslack

I have one of these, going to go fly it today. It is a completely different animal than the $80 toy quads. GPS mode locks it in place pretty well, so you don't so much fly it as just direct it around the sky. The fc40 camera does surprisingly well with video in decent conditions, but latency over wifi is pretty high. It's more useful for checking your shot than for flying first person.

This is kind of in between the phantom and the phantom vision 2. Differences between the phantom and fc40: 5.8ghz control frequency (allows you to use 2.4ghz wifi cameras without causing control issues), self tightening props, naza-m v2 instead of I believe v1.2.

The vision 2 is a completely different chassis, different batteries (expensive and proprietary), different camera, different props (that you can use on the fc40 but not the regular phantom), uses wifi extender to get better camera range. IMO it wasn't worth over twice the price.

On the other hand the fc40 was worth the difference between it and the sub-$100 toys, to me anyway.

This video is from like my fourth or fifth flight, a few weeks ago:

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
mattsdad97 wrote:Amazon supposedly one day will have something like this delivering small packages. Oh goodie here comes my package.Oh wait there goes my package get back here ,hey that's mine. Amazon excuse me but my package I ordered just kept on flying away.Huh Sorry sir but there are about 10 in your area Right now. Wait I see it,oh its my child hes playing with his DJI PHANTOM FC40 UAV Drone Quadcopter. Silly child Teenager making fun of Dad again.Lol

And when they start using them to deliver packages I wont have to buy any Christmas presents anymore just go out to a duck (drone) blind and blast my present right out of the air... Oh that will be a hoot and a holler.

jaytmoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaytmoon
dsscheibe wrote:From what little I know about them this is a nice one. Better than the ones two of my co-workers have but I can't afford that. It does come with a WIFI camera. I don't believe the gopro has WIFI if you were to buy the cheaper one without a camera. Enclosed rotors would be a good idea. Been too windy to fly them here lately.

My co-workers don't have gps, one was flying it in the ally behind work when a gust of wind took it over the building and it landed in the parking lot.

The go-pro does have wifi. I have this model (F) but have equipped it with the go-pro3+ silver. Better wifi range and resolutions. Also have more options for video and a replaceable battery.