Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

HP Quad-Core Desktop with 2TB HD
Price: $369.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, May 05 to Tuesday, May 06) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
3/23/2014 - $369.99 - 33 comment(s)
3/18/2014 - $369.99 (Woot-off) - 16 comment(s)
2/19/2014 - $399.99 (Woot-off) - 2 comment(s)

3/25/2014 - $369.99 (Woot Plus)
2/21/2014 - $399.99 (Woot Plus)
2/7/2014 - $399.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn a little about the processor

and

Let's learn all about USB 3.0

tibasnatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tibasnatch

How does this compare to a dell xps 8700 with a 4th gen i7? I know the dell is better but alot better?

dbcarta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbcarta

Can anyone characterize the "integrated DX11" graphics? How would this be for HD video? Gaming at any level? This is on a lot of the AMD-based machines here lately. Thanks...

piwor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piwor
dbcarta wrote:Can anyone characterize the "integrated DX11" graphics? How would this be for HD video? Gaming at any level? This is on a lot of the AMD-based machines here lately. Thanks...

No open gl

Deathstar1986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deathstar1986

Does the power supply have the connections to add 2 additional SATA hard drives? Or is the power supply even powerful enough to handle 3 hard drives?

bakntyme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakntyme
Deathstar1986 wrote:Does the power supply have the connections to add 2 additional SATA hard drives? Or is the power supply even powerful enough to handle 3 hard drives?

Since there are no available drive bays, where will you put those additional drives?

willhen50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willhen50

According to the specs I saw about this computer; it only has a 300 Watt Power Supply, the audio and video is integrated in the mother board, and the power cable just accesses the card reader, DVD burner and SATA hard drive. 300 Watts would not be enough to power a gaming graphics card. What good is having the PCI-E slots if no power. Good Luck

Philippa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Philippa

I spend most of my computer time watching streaming video (Hulu and Amazon). My idea of gaming is playing Bejeweled. I also do a lot of reading and a bit of simple graphics work. Would this be a good buy for someone like me?

willhen50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willhen50
Philippa wrote:I spend most of my computer time watching streaming video (Hulu and Amazon). My idea of gaming is playing Bejeweled. I also do a lot of reading and a bit of simple graphics work. Would this be a good buy for someone like me?

Yes, all you need is a monitor; you would be all set.

Philippa

willhen50 wrote:Yes, all you need is a monitor; you would be all set.

The monitor I've got. Thanks for your help.

Philippa

I'm currently using DSL. Is that compatible with the 10/100/1000 GB Ethernet card?

(Sorry for the stupid questions. It's been years since I bought a new PC. The demise of XP support is forcing my hand.)

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
Philippa wrote:I'm currently using DSL. Is that compatible with the 10/100/1000 GB Ethernet card?

(Sorry for the stupid questions. It's been years since I bought a new PC. The demise of XP support is forcing my hand.)

There's no compatibility issue. If your ISP provided you with a CD to set up your account, you'll probably need it. This PC also has built in wifi so if you have a wireless router you can use that to connect.

motaboy8120

quality posts: 3 Private Messages motaboy8120
dbcarta wrote:Can anyone characterize the "integrated DX11" graphics? How would this be for HD video? Gaming at any level? This is on a lot of the AMD-based machines here lately. Thanks...

The integrated graphics is a Radeon HD 8570D. See more info here - http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-6500%20-%20AD6500OKA44HL.html

Bottom line - Its a normal deal, nor amazing but not a rip off. Cheap shipping helps. The Video card will do light gaming, AKA The SIMS, Facebook games, ect ect. Plug in a monitor and you can connect to Wifi or any network cable. This is a home use/office computer.

motaboy8120

quality posts: 3 Private Messages motaboy8120
tibasnatch wrote:How does this compare to a dell xps 8700 with a 4th gen i7? I know the dell is better but alot better?

It depends on price, a performance to Value ratio. What are the specs/price of the XPS 8700?

basstronics

quality posts: 1 Private Messages basstronics

I bought the 500-054 on woot to replace my aging custom built rig. I turned out to strongly dislike the Win8 especially since it would cost an additional $110 to add Windows Media Center and you couldnt even do that since Microsoft is out of upgrade codes... So I put Win7. Let me tell you- its a dangerous gamble. HP DOES NOT SUPPORT drivers at all for any software less than what is shipped with the unit. I was able to source my drivers but it was a task.

Just a word of warning to the other Win8 haters out there that might be considering this and putting Win7 on it.

johntroy1101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johntroy1101
basstronics wrote:I bought the 500-054 on woot to replace my aging custom built rig. I turned out to strongly dislike the Win8 especially since it would cost an additional $110 to add Windows Media Center and you couldnt even do that since Microsoft is out of upgrade codes... So I put Win7. Let me tell you- its a dangerous gamble. HP DOES NOT SUPPORT drivers at all for any software less than what is shipped with the unit. I was able to source my drivers but it was a task.

Just a word of warning to the other Win8 haters out there that might be considering this and putting Win7 on it.

HP support is useless anyways and the majority looking at these likely already slicked WIN8 and loaded Win7 on everything they own. Win8 was designed mainly for touchscreens technology which wasn't as big a hit as thought and ended up being as lousy as Vista. Microsoft is planning to launch WIN9 in April 2015 as a replacement.

All your base are belong to us!

superfreq

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superfreq

I found a page that should help you.
After all the charts, there's allot of test for this GPU's game performance and the results are interesting...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8570D.96587.0.html

There's also some benchmarks and allot of pretty telling real world tests on this page...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD8570

It seems to me that this cards biggest problem is that it shares memory with the system, and has absolutely 0 memory of it's own, and the way that stand alone GPU's seem to beat this card out more often than not suggests that this is an issue, but not a show stopper.

I'm guessing that this card would excel when it comes to video and movie playback, as well as moderately intensive image editing.

This makes sense, as it seems to me that this is a very entertainment oriented computer, based on it's audio and visual capabilities, concerning both hardware and firmware, as well as it's very large hard drive and extremely capable card reader.

This computer isn't made for gaming, or professional applications, it's made for video and audio based entertainment.
That doesn't mean it can't run non intensive games at the ighest settings, nor that it can't run somewhat intensive games at low or even sometimes medium settings, but that's more of a side effect rather than a set purpose for the APU.

superfreq

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superfreq
tibasnatch wrote:How does this compare to a dell xps 8700 with a 4th gen i7? I know the dell is better but alot better?

I would say yes, allot better, at least processing power wise.

At this point, the only consumer series that AMD offers that can really come close to challenging Intel's I7's, weather it be 4th, 3rd, or occasionally even second generation models, is the FX series processors, notably the higher end 6 and 8 core versions.

Much of this has to do with cash and thread count.

Historicly, Intel has almost always beat out AMD on this front, especially when it comes to the consumer desktop area of things.

To put it simply, a processors cash is where it stores it's instructions on what it's supposed to be doing at any given moment, a larger cash means more instructions.

The very lage majority of processors that have more than 1 core these days has a shared cash that gets used by all the cores, but each core can only access so much of this one big cash.

AMD usually has less cash for each core to share, and a higher clock rate to make up for it, but when it comes to real world performance, doing 1 or 2 large tasks really well, and a bunch of little tasks not so well just isn't cutting it any more, especially considering the complexity of today's software.

This is why, on average, AMD processors are more suited to things like netbooks and low end laptops, because they are usually very good at doing 1 or 2 things at once instead of a bunch of little things at once, like video encoding, file compression, highly intensive gaming, etc.

The other problem that AMD processors struggle with is the lack of available threads.

Just as cash is like a persons short term memory, and holds the instructions for the processor, the number of threads is like the amount of directions you can think in at once.

It doesn't matter if you have plenty of space for remembering what you need to do if there aren't enough hands to carry it out.

The less threads, the less power you can either devote to one task, like zipping up a large folder, and the less power you can devote to many small tasks, like running several programs at once with out noticeable delay.

The average rather expensive high end quad core I7 4th generation processor has either 1.5 or 2mb of cash to spare for each core, and 2 threads to spare for each core, making a total of 8 threads to devote to any task.

The average quad core AMD desktop processor, will usually have only 1mb of cash per core, and 1 thread per core.

while of a lower quality, and performance is much less expensive, and will make your dollar go much farther than anything you could buy for the same price from Intel, it will also provide you with much newer and more up to date technology at that price point than Intel will.

Also with AMD, you will most likely end up with a noticeably more powerful graphics card for the price you pay than what you would find on Intel processor of the same price.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
basstronics wrote:I bought the 500-054 on woot to replace my aging custom built rig. I turned out to strongly dislike the Win8 especially since it would cost an additional $110 to add Windows Media Center and you couldnt even do that since Microsoft is out of upgrade codes... So I put Win7. Let me tell you- its a dangerous gamble. HP DOES NOT SUPPORT drivers at all for any software less than what is shipped with the unit. I was able to source my drivers but it was a task.

Finally someone who shares my thoughts on windows 8. Everyone thinks that we are too stupid to understand Windows 8- not true, and there are plenty of workarounds to even make it like windows 7. The problem with windows 8 is that Mediacenter is missing!!!Mediacenter is a great feature of windows- why they chose not to include it is beyond me. There is no other alternative that is plug and play like mediacenter for cablecards. You can add plugins to mediacenter to give them all the bling that you want. In the next windows, they truly need to consider putting mediacenter back in!

Solkre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solkre

This could be a decent gamer if you throw in one of these guys.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO

gak0090

This is a well balanced machine that's very versatile for the price. It will give you better performance than a desktop I3 but not quite to an I5. The power supply is max 300 watts, fine for this unit but will need upgraded if you decide to put a decent gaming card in. You can do some gaming on it (low-mid level) it can do anything that a Geforce GT-240 can do. It would be ideal for a mediacenter except for 2 things 1) missing HDMI out (HP found the only FM2 motherboard without HDMI out) 2)windows 8 does not have mediacenter, so you are stuck using a 3rd party app.

This is a great all around budget/midlevel machine that works great as is. I purchased a similar one from woot a while back for a relative. I cloned the drive to a 240GB SSD and used the HD for mediastorage/documents. I was really impressed how responsive it was. It's still nice out of the box though.

posti

quality posts: 1 Private Messages posti

I bought one of these systems back several months ago, and it has been dead reliable and very quick for normal office and home use. I am not a gamer, but I often stream Netflix movies on one screen while I work on another (dual monitor support is standard). Windows 8 is a bit of a pain, but the upgrade to 8.1 is worse as it crashes AOL most times an email is received. I bought two refurbished HP systems three years ago from Woot and they are both still going strong. This probably not going to be a good system for high-end users, but for most folks who want a reliable, fast workbox, you can't do much better than this one.

gak0090

For people that like to build, this is similar at $290. At this price there is no OS included, which might not be an issue for most builders.
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1625254-_-05022014_1
This would make for a great mediacenter since it has HDMI out on the MB and you can load Windows 7 on it.

nevermoredesign

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nevermoredesign

I bought the Dell XPS 8700 last year for around 600-650 dollars. It has better stats across the board on this computer. 16GB memory, i7 motherboard, and a 1GB graphics card. I have since replaced the graphics card with a better 2GB one and it runs Skyrim, ultimate with ENB's and retextures without breaking a sweat. If there was any downfall to the computer it is WIN 8. I still can't stop feeling that WIN 8 was an unfinished product. Some of the things are great others is a SMH type a thing. I am also kicking around getting a SSD for the computer, if there is any "lag" time for my comp it's because its running a 2 TB drive. I know of a guy who had a comp similar to mine and bought an SSD and just put the operating system on it and it literally would load up in a second.

Never Say Never Unless its NeverMore

Qiset

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qiset

I have this pc. I put OpenSuse 13.1 on it. To get the other OS fully removed I had to do an unlock in the bios. It performs quite well. And no MicroSmurf

gak0090

nevermoredesign wrote:I bought the Dell XPS 8700 last year for around 600-650 dollars. It has better stats across the board on this computer. 16GB memory, i7 motherboard, and a 1GB graphics card. I have since replaced the graphics card with a better 2GB one and it runs Skyrim, ultimate with ENB's and retextures without breaking a sweat. If there was any downfall to the computer it is WIN 8. I still can't stop feeling that WIN 8 was an unfinished product. Some of the things are great others is a SMH type a thing. I am also kicking around getting a SSD for the computer, if there is any "lag" time for my comp it's because its running a 2 TB drive. I know of a guy who had a comp similar to mine and bought an SSD and just put the operating system on it and it literally would load up in a second.

It's a good deal (I've seen them at $650, never less than that)- but to be fair, it's priced 75% higher than today's woot. You need to drop an SSD in there though, it will be the best $110 (for 240 GB) you spend on that PC.

jdegrauw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdegrauw
buffaloed wrote:Previous Woot
http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-quad-core-desktop-with-2tb-hd-11

Review
http://www.wfulks.com/baldgamer/game-review/hp-pavilion-500-164-a-low-budget-gaming-pc/

Thanks for posting the Bald Gamer review. I've been looking for a reliable, solid (but not over the top) computer to give to my brother. This would surely be the one...if it were not for that gd Win8. I think I'll keep looking. Sigh.

gak0090

jdegrauw wrote:Thanks for posting the Bald Gamer review. I've been looking for a reliable, solid (but not over the top) computer to give to my brother. This would surely be the one...if it were not for that gd Win8. I think I'll keep looking. Sigh.

Did you see my link above to Newegg? Basically you can build a better version of this and put your own OS on it- and it will have HDMI out

billthegunowner

quality posts: 14 Private Messages billthegunowner
Philippa wrote:I'm currently using DSL. Is that compatible with the 10/100/1000 GB Ethernet card?

Keep your XP machine. More than 30% of the PCs out there are still XP. 80% of the ATMs out there are still XP.

Bill

impalaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages impalaboy

I bought one of these less than a month ago. I only had it 9 days before it quit booting up. Had to send it back to HP for repair.

jimu42nd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimu42nd

I also purchaces the 500-054 and am currently running it on windows 7 with no errors in the device manager due to the help of the following link:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/Windows-7-compatible-drivers-needed-for-Pavilion-500-054/td-p/3008417

the first reply by lasvegaswireman really really helped.
especially the recommending of using HP Pavilion p7-1299c drivers since it was the same chip set.

here is the same guy talking about the 500-164. the drivers for the -054 work pefectly but I don't have one of the -164s, so YMMV.

Betty0076

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Betty0076

Is there any warranty other than purchasing from Square Trade??

Betty0076

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Betty0076

Oops, sorry for question about warranty! I see there is a 90 day warranty from HP in addition to available one year purchase from Square Trade!!

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

If not for being infected with *Windows 8, this is a fine machine. Get a new video card and a bigger PSU (maybe throw in a 128 SSD) and you're in business.

* - learned the hard way - Win 8 won't play DVDs out of the box anymore. If you want that kind of performance, you're gonna hafta fork over $110.00 for Windows Media Center.

gak0090

loaba wrote:If not for being infected with *Windows 8, this is a fine machine. Get a new video card and a bigger PSU (maybe throw in a 128 SSD) and you're in business.

* - learned the hard way - Win 8 won't play DVDs out of the box anymore. If you want that kind of performance, you're gonna hafta fork over $110.00 for Windows Media Center.

Did you try downloading VLC player- that should play your DVDs. I do agree with you though that windows 8 not having mediacenter is a huge mistake.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba
gak0090 wrote:Did you try downloading VLC player- that should play your DVDs. I do agree with you though that windows 8 not having mediacenter is a huge mistake.

VLC (along with GIMP and 7-zip) is a standard install for me, so it's not like I couldn't play DVDs. Thing is, for a novice user (which is 50% or more of computer users), out-of-the-box usability is very important.