superfreq

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superfreq
gak0090 wrote:This is a well balanced machine that's very versatile for the price. It will give you better performance than a desktop I3 but not quite to an I5. The power supply is max 300 watts, fine for this unit but will need upgraded if you decide to put a decent gaming card in. You can do some gaming on it (low-mid level) it can do anything that a Geforce GT-240 can do. It would be ideal for a mediacenter except for 2 things 1) missing HDMI out (HP found the only FM2 motherboard without HDMI out) 2)windows 8 does not have mediacenter, so you are stuck using a 3rd party app.

This is a great all around budget/midlevel machine that works great as is. I purchased a similar one from woot a while back for a relative. I cloned the drive to a 240GB SSD and used the HD for mediastorage/documents. I was really impressed how responsive it was. It's still nice out of the box though.

Completely agree with you on all points, about the versatility and afordability of the computer, these links to processor benchmarks, price comparison graphs, and specifications agree with you too, though this processor does beat out some second gen I5's as well as I3's which is great for the price point.

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/AMD/A8-6500.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-6500%20-%20AD6500OKA44HL.html#price

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-6500%20-%20AD6500OKA44HL.html#specs

About the lac of an HDMI port, it's not as much of a problem when you factor in that DVI port that at least half way replaces it.

You can get a DVI cable, and hook it up to the DVI port on the computer, and if the TV or monitor that your trying to plug it into doesn't have a DVI port, you can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter to go on the end of the cable, and then your set except for audio,which unfortunately you will need an extra cable for.

It's a bit of a work around but the computer comes with a few 3.5 MM jacks, as well as an SPDIF port, so getting an adapter for the DVI and an audio cable to go with it isn't too bad, considering that both are relatively cheap and easy to find.

Plus, unless you have a monitor with speakers built in, you won't need an audio cable at all if it's just a monitor and not, say, a television.

This computer really is a damn good multimedia box for the price, even with the lack of media center and the DVI/audio workaround.

Plus as others have said, free programs that lots of people already use and enjoy; such as VLC, Winamp, and Foobar2000, can replace if not exceed the functionality of windows media center.

I hope everyone who bought it is enjoying it, another awesome deal from WOOT!

hiphopnerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hiphopnerd

I haven't been paying attention to the desktops offered on Woot for very long, but every one of them has been AMD. Do they ever have desktops with Intel processors?

twohowlingdogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twohowlingdogs
superfreq wrote:I found a page that should help you.
After all the charts, there's allot of test for this GPU's game performance and the results are interesting...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8570D.96587.0.html

There's also some benchmarks and allot of pretty telling real world tests on this page...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD8570

It seems to me that this cards biggest problem is that it shares memory with the system, and has absolutely 0 memory of it's own, and the way that stand alone GPU's seem to beat this card out more often than not suggests that this is an issue, but not a show stopper.

I'm guessing that this card would excel when it comes to video and movie playback, as well as moderately intensive image editing.

This makes sense, as it seems to me that this is a very entertainment oriented computer, based on it's audio and visual capabilities, concerning both hardware and firmware, as well as it's very large hard drive and extremely capable card reader.

This computer isn't made for gaming, or professional applications, it's made for video and audio based entertainment.
That doesn't mean it can't run non intensive games at the ighest settings, nor that it can't run somewhat intensive games at low or even sometimes medium settings, but that's more of a side effect rather than a set purpose for the APU.

So cute you talked about allot.

superfreq

hiphopnerd wrote:I haven't been paying attention to the desktops offered on Woot for very long, but every one of them has been AMD. Do they ever have desktops with Intel processors?

Haha, yeah they do as a matter of fact they had one just yesterday with an I7-4770K QuadCore.

It's probably because AMD is generally cheaper and you usually get more bang for your buck, up to a point.

WOOT has more under 600 dollar deals, because that's what most people are looking for and can afford, they usually only post about over 600 dollar computers when the deal is just to good to pass up, and people are willing to splurge a little for something that will still be good 10 years down the line.

hiphopnerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hiphopnerd
superfreq wrote:Haha, yeah they do as a matter of fact they had one just yesterday with an I7-4770K QuadCore.

It's probably because AMD is generally cheaper and you usually get more bang for your buck, up to a point.

WOOT has more under 600 dollar deals, because that's what most people are looking for and can afford, they usually only post about over 600 dollar computers when the deal is just to good to pass up, and people are willing to splurge a little for something that will still be good 10 years down the line.

Ha, I probably did see that one yesterday, but immediately forgot about it because of the price tag.

Let's try again: are there ever any Intel desktops around $500?

chaz7979

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chaz7979

This is not windows 8 pro and is therefore not eligible for the windows 7 downgrade... correct?

superfreq

hiphopnerd wrote:Ha, I probably did see that one yesterday, but immediately forgot about it because of the price tag.

Not so much I think, but if your willing to do a bit of searching, tigerdirect, newegg, microcenter, amazon, frys, and dealnews ar all pretty good places to look for that kind of thing.

It probably has some to do with that fact that woot likes to post about relatively high powered machines, and while it's not impossible, it's pretty unlikely that you will end up with a machine as powerful as this one, for instance, for 500 bucks if it's Intel.

However, Intel based systems have their own upsides, and a computer that works is a computer that works, if it works well, even better.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba
hiphopnerd wrote:

I've noticed that Woot typically offers Intel-based laptops and AMD-based desktops.

Nothing wrong with AMD - I have a AMD-based desktop (HP Pavillion 6777c), purchased in 2010, and it's smoking (heh) along just fine. These machine are really very robust and can be modified/expanded to increase their lifespan and performance.

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg
Solkre wrote:This could be a decent gamer if you throw in one of these guys.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO

That graphics card would really, really be pushing the limit with the power supply this tower has. It would be best to upgrade the power supply if you are wanting to add a graphics card.

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg
hiphopnerd wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-H530-Desktop-57323783/dp/B00HEIFZQ0/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399047983&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-i3847-3846BK-Inspiron-Desktop/dp/B00HSEW28E/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399047983&sr=1-7

I know they aren't on Woot, but I'd take either of these i3 Intel setups over this AMD deal.

louisgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisgrady

I have three computers with Win 7, and two with Win 8. The Win 8 computers are much faster (all have about the same setup), and you can use add ons to set up win8 to operate like win7, BUT Win 8 does not have the drivers for all of my printers, (some of my printers had that problem with Win 7, but after a year, most had new drivers for Win 7.) I have touch screen on each of my Win 8 computers, and use the mouse for more than 99% of my computing, because who wants to lean over and touch the screen, when a mouse or touch pad is handy?

unixrab

quality posts: 11 Private Messages unixrab

...and how would this one be for World of Warcraft out of the box?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

daveweibel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveweibel

Will MS Office Professional 2007 run on this machine?

Any other software limitations/incompatibilities because of Win 8?

Currently running Win Vista on an older HP a6710t

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba
daveweibel wrote:Will MS Office Professional 2007 run on this machine?

Yes - like a boss.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
jdevenberg wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-H530-Desktop-57323783/dp/B00HEIFZQ0/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399047983&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-i3847-3846BK-Inspiron-Desktop/dp/B00HSEW28E/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399047983&sr=1-7

I know they aren't on Woot, but I'd take either of these i3 Intel setups over this AMD deal.

These are decent, but they are more expensive, and the graphics are better with the AMD. No- I am not an AMD fanboy, I own I3, I5s and an I7, but I also have AMD APU's on some systems. If you plan on using the system as is- today's woot is better. If you plan on updating the graphics, it would be more of a wash.

spsffan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spsffan

I bought one of these from woot a while back. A couple of things. First of all, the DVD drive quit almost immediately. But the drives that HP supplies have died very early in every HP machine I've bought in the last 15 years. I replaced it with a Pioneer from Newegg and am very happy.

As for Win8. Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad particularly with 8.1. It now boots up to a desktop that is more or less like Win7 or even XP. No touchscreens. At my age, if I can reach the screen with my hands, it would have to be so close to my face that I couldn't see all of it. Besides, I hate getting finger prints on my viewing surface. Oh, and control of precise movements is downright horrible with touch screens. Okay for a tablet, Stupid idea on a desktop.

As for Windows 8 and media center? The computer comes with Power DVD, which though itself if needlessly complex and confusing, it a Godsend compared to the last few versions of Windows Media Center, which in my experience needs tweeks and upgrades to do the simplest of tasks. Save your money on that.

mikegarvey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikegarvey

Hi all- This will be my first tech buy from Woot and my first ever refurb. Has anyone had a bad experience with the Square Trade coverage? Is it worth the extra $?

BuriTwilight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BuriTwilight

Can anyone tell me if this'll play League of Legends at 60fps on low settings?

cvkealey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cvkealey
buffaloed wrote:There's no compatibility issue. If your ISP provided you with a CD to set up your account, you'll probably need it. This PC also has built in wifi so if you have a wireless router you can use that to connect.

Most ISPs today provide a connectivity device ("modem" for cable or DSL, "ONT" for fiber) and a router, or possibly one device that combines the two. If the OP currently uses wireless or plugs into a router or other device with an ethernet cable, they shouldn't need to install any software from the ISP. I haven't since I last used Netzero (~2001?).

tidww01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tidww01

I don't think you can disparage AMD like this. I'll grant the Intel chips are better but your technical assessment it lacking. To start with, it's cache, not cash, pronounce the same but quite different. You are putting everything on the CPU also which isn't fair, the supporting chips are just as important. Intel has generally led with continually making the size of the chip smaller and smaller. I've lost track of how small they've gotten at this point. The question is, what are you going to use it for, a gaming machine, obviously it's not the latest and greatest or it wouldn't be here, but it's a nice machine for the price. I love AMD machines, they are very solid and much cheaper.

superfreq wrote:I would say yes, allot better, at least processing power wise.

At this point, the only consumer series that AMD offers that can really come close to challenging Intel's I7's, weather it be 4th, 3rd, or occasionally even second generation models, is the FX series processors, notably the higher end 6 and 8 core versions.

Much of this has to do with cash and thread count.

Historicly, Intel has almost always beat out AMD on this front, especially when it comes to the consumer desktop area of things.

To put it simply, a processors cash is where it stores it's instructions on what it's supposed to be doing at any given moment, a larger cash means more instructions.

The very lage majority of processors that have more than 1 core these days has a shared cash that gets used by all the cores, but each core can only access so much of this one big cash.

AMD usually has less cash for each core to share, and a higher clock rate to make up for it, but when it comes to real world performance, doing 1 or 2 large tasks really well, and a bunch of little tasks not so well just isn't cutting it any more, especially considering the complexity of today's software.

This is why, on average, AMD processors are more suited to things like netbooks and low end laptops, because they are usually very good at doing 1 or 2 things at once instead of a bunch of little things at once, like video encoding, file compression, highly intensive gaming, etc.

The other problem that AMD processors struggle with is the lack of available threads.

Just as cash is like a persons short term memory, and holds the instructions for the processor, the number of threads is like the amount of directions you can think in at once.

It doesn't matter if you have plenty of space for remembering what you need to do if there aren't enough hands to carry it out.

The less threads, the less power you can either devote to one task, like zipping up a large folder, and the less power you can devote to many small tasks, like running several programs at once with out noticeable delay.

The average rather expensive high end quad core I7 4th generation processor has either 1.5 or 2mb of cash to spare for each core, and 2 threads to spare for each core, making a total of 8 threads to devote to any task.

The average quad core AMD desktop processor, will usually have only 1mb of cash per core, and 1 thread per core.

while of a lower quality, and performance is much less expensive, and will make your dollar go much farther than anything you could buy for the same price from Intel, it will also provide you with much newer and more up to date technology at that price point than Intel will.

Also with AMD, you will most likely end up with a noticeably more powerful graphics card for the price you pay than what you would find on Intel processor of the same price.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chaz7979 wrote:This is not windows 8 pro and is therefore not eligible for the windows 7 downgrade... correct?

This is regular Windows 8, not Pro.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
daveweibel wrote:Will MS Office Professional 2007 run on this machine?

Any other software limitations/incompatibilities because of Win 8?

Currently running Win Vista on an older HP a6710t

Download the Windows 8 upgrade assistant to scan your PC for hardware and software incompatibilities.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey All

We've moved to this thread. Same exact desktop just a bit longer shipping time (3-5 days to ship + transit time).

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

impalaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages impalaboy
impalaboy wrote:I bought one of these less than a month ago. I only had it 9 days before it quit booting up. Had to send it back to HP for repair.

Whatta ya' know, I got the computer back and 7 days later, POOF, it quit working again. Same problem. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPUTER! POS ALERT!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

impalaboy wrote:Whatta ya' know, I got the computer back and 7 days later, POOF, it quit working again. Same problem. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPUTER! POS ALERT!

I'm sorry to hear that HP was unable to fully repair your product.

If you haven't already I highly recommend that you write into support@woot.com and let them know what you're experiencing.

I've also forwarded your post/information along to them to investigate the issue.

impalaboy

Thank you. HP is supposed to get back to me today in regard to a refund. They might tell me I have to get the refund from Woot. Unfortuately I am well past the 21 day return policy. But that's only because I already had to send the computer in for repair once.

ROGETRAY wrote:I'm sorry to hear that HP was unable to fully repair your product.

If you haven't already I highly recommend that you write into support@woot.com and let them know what you're experiencing.

I've also forwarded your post/information along to them to investigate the issue.

impalaboy

HP said that I need to get my refund from Woot. Please tell me what I need to do to get a refund.
Thank you.

impalaboy wrote:Thank you. HP is supposed to get back to me today in regard to a refund. They might tell me I have to get the refund from Woot. Unfortuately I am well past the 21 day return policy. But that's only because I already had to send the computer in for repair once.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

impalaboy wrote:HP said that I need to get my refund from Woot. Please tell me what I need to do to get a refund.
Thank you.

As stated in my previous post I suggest that you write into support@woot.com and let them know what you're experiencing.
They'll be able to answer any questions or concerns you have about your purchase.

impalaboy

Thanks, they're on it.

ROGETRAY wrote:As stated in my previous post I suggest that you write into support@woot.com and let them know what you're experiencing.
They'll be able to answer any questions or concerns you have about your purchase.

impalaboy

Well, I thought they were on it.

I still haven't heard from them since they assigned a case number more than 2 days ago.

impalaboy wrote:Thanks, they're on it.

ThunderThighs

Staff

impalaboy wrote:Well, I thought they were on it.

I still haven't heard from them since they assigned a case number more than 2 days ago.

Impala, CS can't find an email from the email address on your account. They did email you at that email address to get more information.

Please check that account (and junk/spam folders) for their email. If you don't find it, please Private Message me your case number(s).

To PM me, click on the envelope next to my name in this post. To view your private messages, click on the envelope to the right of the Everything But Woot tab.

FORUM MODERATOR