WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Nostalgic Prints Of Yore

Lots of lovely images from back when everything was perfect. Unlike today. :,,,, (

mangax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mangax

Awesome collection. Modern day promoters and advertisers have lost the artistic flare that these wonderful and elegant pieces exhibit.

osufhall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osufhall
mangax wrote:Awesome collection. Modern day promoters and advertisers have lost the artistic flare that these wonderful and elegant pieces exhibit.

I have to disagree. I really enjoy this style of art and have found some great prints from local artists, my favorite being offered here;
http://www.fivepointcollective.com/ You just have to be willing to poke around to find some.

Joseph Hall

bubbgee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubbgee
osufhall wrote:I have to disagree. I really enjoy this style of art and have found some great prints from local artists, my favorite being offered here;
http://www.fivepointcollective.com/ You just have to be willing to poke around to find some.

Agree to disagree. I like the art here much more and the other stuff is more expensive at less than half the size!

Riggin4Wiggin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Riggin4Wiggin
bubbgee wrote:Agree to disagree. I like the art here much more and the other stuff is more expensive at less than half the size!

I'm with Bubbgee - this deal is awesome. The other site mentioned is great if you like Portland and overpaying!

I'm buying 2 of these to put side by side in my mancave.

Noddy93

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Noddy93

no Waco? no sale!

come on folks... there's a big ol' empty bit o' canvas between dallas and austin.

TheHolyBERTEmpre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheHolyBERTEmpre

Where is the furniture from?

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

TheHolyBERTEmpre wrote:Where is the furniture from?

My apartment. Kidding. I bet this is vendor art, I'd check out the vendor site.

UPDATE: I completely read that wrong. Sorry.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

uh oh. looks like employees or shills are posting again. come on mods.

[MOD EDIT] Sorry, misread that. Thanks!

I always did like yardsales.

goldiesmarv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldiesmarv
mangax wrote:Awesome collection. Modern day promoters and advertisers have lost the artistic flare that these wonderful and elegant pieces exhibit.

These ARE from modern day artists. You think people in the 1930s had weird Art Deco posters for generic things like "Baseball" and "Houston"? Or posters of any kind, for that matter? Ever seen a postcard from that era? A baseball program? A travel advertisement? They don't look like this. These are modern. Nice, but modern.

alee7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alee7
goldiesmarv wrote:These ARE from modern day artists. You think people in the 1930s had weird Art Deco posters for generic things like "Baseball" and "Houston"? Or posters of any kind, for that matter? Ever seen a postcard from that era? A baseball program? A travel advertisement? They don't look like this. These are modern. Nice, but modern.

I agree. The poster of San Francisco with the Cable Car has the Transamerica Pyramid as one of the buildings in the background. That building wasn't completed till 1972, versus the cable car in the 1890s and the Golden Gate Bridge (1933)in the other San Francisco poster.

Michkayaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Michkayaker
alee7 wrote:I agree. The poster of San Francisco with the Cable Car has the Transamerica Pyramid as one of the buildings in the background. That building wasn't completed till 1972, versus the cable car in the 1890s and the Golden Gate Bridge (1933)in the other San Francisco poster.

Definitely current day copying an older style. Space Needle in Seattle was built in 1962 and the skyline would have been dominated by the Smith Tower which is lost in the shuffle of the much, much larger buildings. Very nice none the less and with several of my favorite cities to boot.

chuckf1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chuckf1

Also since the Sears Tower in Chicago didn't being construction until 1970, these posters, which I like a lot, were either produced in a more modern era, or created by an artist of the 1930s, who had an amazing crystal ball.

goldiesmarv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldiesmarv
chuckf1 wrote:Also since the Sears Tower in Chicago didn't being construction until 1970, these posters, which I like a lot, were either produced in a more modern era, or created by an artist of the 1930s, who had an amazing crystal ball.

Haha yeah maybe a NASA engineer grew up with that Texas poster in the 1930s and '40s and then decided to design the space shuttle based on the mysterious rocket ship in that old poster.

whistle88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whistle88

Check out andersondesigngroup.com for the company who make/design these particular poster/prints. Most are from their Art &Soul of America and a couple from their coffee collection. I personally really like their national park stuff.

atatbl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atatbl

Stupid question: I'm trying to order frames so I am curious as to why it states that a 1.5" border added to the 21x28 image turns the actual print into 24x31? Shouldn't they be approx. 22.5x29.5?

mmarches

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmarches
atatbl wrote:Stupid question: I'm trying to order frames so I am curious as to why it states that a 1.5" border added to the 21x28 image turns the actual print into 24x31? Shouldn't they be approx. 22.5x29.5?

21" wide
+ 1.5" on left
+ 1.5" on right
= 24" wide total

Similarly,

28" tall
+ 1.5" on top
+ 1.5" on bottom
= 31" tall total

I gotcho back ;)

KKadow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages KKadow
atatbl wrote:Stupid question: I'm trying to order frames...

Woot really needs to offer some fancy frames to match up with their posters.

k0ugs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages k0ugs
chuckf1 wrote:Also since the Sears Tower in Chicago didn't being construction until 1970, these posters, which I like a lot, were either produced in a more modern era, or created by an artist of the 1930s, who had an amazing crystal ball.

Not only that, it's no longer the Sears Tower. "Willis Tower" now.

(>.<)\m/