zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch- 5 Colors
Price: $134.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, May 07 to Monday, May 12) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
4/8/2014 - $159.99 - 93 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

MyPooka

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MyPooka

The Galaxy Gear series of devices was (by Samsung's admission) essentially a beta test of a concept. These devices will have little to no support going forward. Gear2 is already out. I have a hard time thinking that the original series of "Galaxy Gear" products are a bargain at any price. Do your research before plunking down your money, folks.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3440 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page

gwilks98

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gwilks98
MyPooka wrote:The Galaxy Gear series of devices was (by Samsung's admission) essentially a beta test of a concept. These devices will have little to no support going forward. Gear2 is already out. I have a hard time thinking that the original series of "Galaxy Gear" products are a bargain at any price. Do your research before plunking down your money, folks.

I agree with the last sentence. The new gear has a replaceable wrist band and they fixed a bunch of design flaws. Sorry Woot...

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

These are awesome! They run Android! They get almost a FULL day of battery life! They have Gorilla Glass! They have a really crappy onboard camera!
Yeah, well, they suck. This is the lowest they've been -- so far. They weren't exactly flying off the shelves at $150, so something tells me that this inventory is going to languish until someone bites the bullet and either does a $50 fire sale (it worked for the ill fated HP tablet), or it gets steamrolled. Either way, this is going to end as a large number in red ink on some ledger.

AgentSmith5150

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AgentSmith5150
Lord John Whorfin wrote:These are awesome! They run Android! They get almost a FULL day of battery life! They have Gorilla Glass! They have a really crappy onboard camera!
Yeah, well, they suck. This is the lowest they've been -- so far. They weren't exactly flying off the shelves at $150, so something tells me that this inventory is going to languish until someone bites the bullet and either does a $50 fire sale (it worked for the ill fated HP tablet), or it gets steamrolled. Either way, this is going to end as a large number in red ink on some ledger.

I'd pay 50 bucks for one!

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Tough crowd!

countdingo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages countdingo

To be fair, they're still $200 new (Best Buy price), the Gear 2 runs $300, and people are willing to shell out $1500 for Google Glass...

In comparison, Gear 2 is slimmer, lighter, has replaceable watch straps (as previously mentioned) and a built-in heart rate monitor. They also moved the camera, mic, and speakers onto the watch body itself (enabling the replaceable wrist strap). The OS has changed to Tizen (not Android), but functions the same as the 1st gen Samsung Gear.

Here's a comparison video, highlighting the above differences:

If I ran or did heavy cardio regularly and just *had* to have one of these, I'd spring for the Gear 2 simply because of the heart rate monitor on the back. I would *not* purchase any variety of smart watch if fashion was my concern, so the concern with design is mostly moot.

I won't buy one at this price (I still consider it a toy), but if you're looking to pick one of these up and aren't set on the Gear 2, this is a good deal.

xxstatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxstatic
countdingo wrote:To be fair, they're still $200 new (Best Buy price), the Gear 2 runs $300, and people are willing to shell out $1500 for Google Glass...

In comparison, Gear 2 is slimmer, lighter, has replaceable watch straps (as previously mentioned) and a built-in heart rate monitor. They also moved the camera, mic, and speakers onto the watch body itself (enabling the replaceable wrist strap). The OS has changed to Tizen (not Android), but functions the same as the 1st gen Samsung Gear.

Here's a comparison video, highlighting the above differences:

If I ran or did heavy cardio regularly and just *had* to have one of these, I'd spring for the Gear 2 simply because of the heart rate monitor on the back. I would *not* purchase any variety of smart watch if fashion was my concern, so the concern with design is mostly moot.

I won't buy one at this price (I still consider it a toy), but if you're looking to pick one of these up and aren't set on the Gear 2, this is a good deal.

Samsung has said Tizen is coming for the galaxy gear.
http://m.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/portable-media/samsung-to-upgrade-original-galaxy-gear-to-tizen-1227889

outer78

quality posts: 13 Private Messages outer78

Canada was selling this crapz for $99 about a month ago. A refurb shouldn't be more than our mother country sells it for new. Plus its old garbage tech.

wildrush01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildrush01
AgentSmith5150 wrote:I'd pay 50 bucks for one!

I second that.....

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash

I got one last month on woot! - big fun! the watch styler app has been amazing! I've got a dozen watch faces I designed I can swap anytime (see gearfaces.com). the pedometer is accurate. when I get a phone call, I see who it is on my watch & ignore or take the call ON MY WATCH. also, my phone doesn't lock if its in a few feet of the watch. the pedometer is accurate. getting and sending SMS's on it rocks! and it's a remote for media playing on the phone (& even shows titles). two thumbs up!!

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

I remember Galaxy Gear being the cover picture for all "what to do with unwanted gifts" articles after the holidays.

I am not responsible for this post.

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

cNet review 2½/5 stars---"falls far short of expectations."

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch/

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

Does anyone know the length of the wristband? I have a pretty small wrist but sure would like one of these...

ahairston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahairston
docflash wrote:I the pedometer is accurate.

I can't really trust anyone who says the pedometer is accurate, unless they also claim they were counting their steps along with it.

cboshdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cboshdave
mrsjhaye wrote:Does anyone know the length of the wristband? I have a pretty small wrist but sure would like one of these...

i don't know the size, but they go pretty small and are quite comfortable. That is about all I can say good though. I bought one on the last go round. It is fun, but certainly a little disappointing. Samsung could have done so much more. I would wait for the onslaught of other brands.

johncmckee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johncmckee
ahairston wrote:I can't really trust anyone who says the pedometer is accurate, unless they also claim they were counting their steps along with it.

I wondered the same thing about my Fitbit so I checked the distance calculated in the app with GPS walking through the neighborhood running errands and markers on a trail and it was almost exactly spot on. I'm sure there are some discrepancies in gait in various circumstances but it was so close that I can't imagine it really mattering in it's context.

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

I bought one of these on Woot less than a month ago for $159 ($175 w/tax and shipping). I love it and it works great but I wish Woot would refund the difference offering it again so soon (not expecting it to happen)

mrbarister

quality posts: 29 Private Messages mrbarister

Then get it wet and have to buy another one. Rinse and repeat until the price = $150.00, then invest in water resistant Gear 2 or better yet, the more economical Gear Neo if you don't need a camera.

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

I think the one I bought in April was new...not refurbished...so I am guessing that is why its a lower price

joec56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joec56

wildrush01 wrote:I second that.....

it

it doesn't seem it works with anything but Samsung products.

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20

Original list price: $4999.99.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

john398

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john398

Just curious why would this work with Verizons Note II but not AT&T Note II?? Any thoughts

sezyrrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sezyrrith
john398 wrote:Just curious why would this work with Verizons Note II but not AT&T Note II?? Any thoughts

Most likely a software version - everyone but AT&T of the major carriers updated to 4.3 on the Note 2 with the release. However, AT&T finally released that update back in December, so it should now be compatible.

There are also mods for it, though not much in the way of serious added functionality.

shari227

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shari227

My husband and brother in law both got these on woot a while ago and they absolutely love them.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Apparently my comment comparing these to military-issue GCG glasses was removed.

But seriously, I'd like a woman's opinion of what she would think about a guy she'd just met who was wearing one of these.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye
radi0j0hn wrote:Apparently my comment comparing these to military-issue GCG glasses was removed.

But seriously, I'd like a woman's opinion of what she would think about a guy she'd just met who was wearing one of these.

Don't know about that but I'll let you know guys opinions of me wearing mine when I get it. I imagine it is a decent geek magnet

dczarnek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dczarnek

I have one of these and it's much fun! Seems many of the reviews were before the fall update which added other phones and more notifications. Great when you're in a meeting, you can just glance, instead of digging in your pocket. Answering on the watch is OK, the xmit quality is good, the speaker is small but works for short calls, or when you're hands are full.

Since this Gen1 is Android, you can push .apk apps through ADB, and there is a custom ROM you can load. (voids warranty but you can revert to stock)

beermebeerme1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beermebeerme1

If you read the posts of most of the folks that have one, they are not disappointed. I am very happy with mine and would replace it tomorrow if it broke. I routinely get 3 to 4 days battery life but I use it as intended and do not have it hacked or rooted. People complain that they can't watch videos, good grief. It's a small screen designed for basic functions. It is a wonderful adjunct to my Note 3, gets lots of attention, and works beautifully. If I were in the market, I would be all over this deal. Oh, and for everyone that will peg me with negative comments....go buy one then we can talk.

peanut squirrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peanut squirrel

I don't see the Galaxy S 5 listed under compatible devices?

w00t!

RaiseAkitas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RaiseAkitas

Refurbished watch. Hmmmmmm

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash
ahairston wrote:I can't really trust anyone who says the pedometer is accurate, unless they also claim they were counting their steps along with it.

that's what i did, of course. otherwise, how would i know the pedometer was accurate?

in my profession, it's important to be right. (i'm a primary care doc).

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

photomasta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photomasta

Did anybody else receive a less-than-refurbished watch? I received mine today, and it has scratches all over the face, corrosion on the charging contacts, and the Samsung etching on the bottom of the watch body has some sort of dirt or other material all inside the etching...