zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)
Price: $79.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $13 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, May 07 to Thursday, May 08) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
4/22/2014 - $89.99 (Woot-off) - 0 comment(s)
2/18/2014 - $89.99 (Woot-off) - 0 comment(s)
1/9/2014 - $89.99 - 74 comment(s)

1/15/2014 - $89.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

dada1111

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dada1111

Will this work on Direct TV?

head1st

quality posts: 0 Private Messages head1st

http://www.hdhomerun.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/

steveb944

quality posts: 10 Private Messages steveb944
dada1111 wrote:Will this work on Direct TV?

Cable only, no satellite per above posted link.

EDIT: Personal note

I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card. I REALLY hope it's not more than the box I'm already paying for.

jjshing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjshing
dada1111 wrote:Will this work on Direct TV?

Nope. Only works with CableCard.

head1st

quality posts: 0 Private Messages head1st

They have an Android App that lets you stream LIVE premium TV (like my Game of Thrones on HBO) to my tablet anywhere in my house - I don't know any other app that let's me watch LIVE subscription TV

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hdhomerun

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3128 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Got a question? Check out the silicondust.com forums and check out the product page

colebeck

quality posts: 11 Private Messages colebeck

I have the Prime (and another SiliconDust unit) and it is great for HTPC. It works well with Windows Media Player as well as XMBC.
However, I have never been able to get mine to share the streams over WiFi with other HTPC running Media Center which really irritates me. Works fine with the HDHR's own TV-watching software (QuickTV), but Media Center won't pick up the stream over WiFi for some reason.
Aside from that I definitely recommend this for people looking to ditch cable box and go toward an HTPC set-up. Another thing to note if you are considering that, you can kiss your On-Demand stuff goodbye because it won't work through an HTPC set-up, only cable boxes.

mikejenkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikejenkins
steveb944 wrote:Cable only

FYI this will also work with Fios.

steveb944 wrote:
I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card.

First cable card is free but they will still charge you a 'HD fee' of like $10 a month, if you want HD channels. Chances are you're paying that already anyway unless you have a triple play package.

mitrebox

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mitrebox
steveb944 wrote:Cable only, no satellite per above posted link.

I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card. I REALLY hope it's not more than the box I'm already paying for.

Note, despite whatever the idoit you get says, by law they must give you the ability to rent a cable card and you should actually get a discount from the normal rate.

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

Silicondust

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silicondust
steveb944 wrote:I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card. I REALLY hope it's not more than the box I'm already paying for.

Typically on Comcast the first device (card or box) on an account is free, and additional cards are around $1.50-2.00. Some areas may charge an extra outlet fee. Either way, it is required to be less than the cost of a normal box because FCC rules require that providers differentiate between the cost of a card and the cost of whatever the card goes in. If you use your own device, they accomplish this via a customer-owned device discount. Good resource on the subject is the FCC's website https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.
Website | Community Forum | Submit a Support Ticket

kjg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kjg
mitrebox wrote:Note, despite whatever the idoit you get says, by law they must give you the ability to rent a cable card and you should actually get a discount from the normal rate.

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

Comcast charges me $1.50 for the extra cable card, and it was no hassle getting one from them.

smaug37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smaug37

Have one from last woot of this. Works great with media center and xbox 360 extender. Way better than a box.

Silicondust

Just in case it wasn't clear from the specs, HDHomeRun PRIME is designed solely for use with digital cable systems. This includes providers such as Comcast, TWC, Cox, Charter, Cablevision, Brighthouse, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and FiOS (both Verizon and Frontier). It will not work with an antenna, IPTV services such as AT&T U-verse or Google Fiber, or satellite services such as DirecTV or Dish Network.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.

Tom84

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tom84
Silicondust wrote:Just in case it wasn't clear from the specs, HDHomeRun PRIME is designed solely for use with digital cable systems. This includes providers such as Comcast, TWC, Cox, Charter, Cablevision, Brighthouse, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and FiOS (both Verizon and Frontier). It will not work with an antenna, IPTV services such as AT&T U-verse or Google Fiber, or satellite services such as DirecTV or Dish Network.

So will it work with someone who has cable but not a cablebox/cablecard? I get a few digital channels too (local HD and the music channels).

Also, DLNA? Does that mean it will work with, for example, a smart tv like the Samsung ones which support playing from DLNA?

kjg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kjg

The box has worked reliably for me with Windows Media Center on both Windows 7 and 8, and works occasionally with VLC on my Mac. I spent some time trying to get it to work with XBMC and MythTV, but eventually gave up with little success.

If you have WMC on Win 7 or 8, it should be straightforward to set up. The instructions on the SiliconDust web site are helpful, and should get you through any rough spots. If you're planning to use this box with a different media server then prepare to spend a fair bit of time and energy getting it to work.

Comcast was very helpful in getting the card activated and running with the box. I called their activation line and mentioned that I was using an HD HomeRun Prime and the technician responded with a chirpy "no problem!". I don't know if their attitude has changed since I set this up.

All that said, the device isn't really plug and play. It takes a bit of configuration of the device, Windows and WMC to get all the stars aligned. However, once everything is set up properly it works like a champ.

Silicondust

Tom84 wrote:So will it work with someone who has cable but not a cablebox/cablecard? I get a few digital channels too (local HD and the music channels).

Also, DLNA? Does that mean it will work with, for example, a smart tv like the Samsung ones which support playing from DLNA?

It will work for unencrypted digital cable ("clear QAM") channels without a CableCARD. Most of the major providers (Comcast, TWC, Charter, RCN, Cablevision, and likely Brighthouse) are in the process of going 100% encrypted nationwide, so that will require a CableCARD when it happens in your area.

DLNA compatibility varies widely from one manufacturer to the next and even one model to the next. Some large manufacturers (Vizio) don't implement it at all, while others (LG) implement it, but don't implement portions of the spec that are needed for live streams to work, but are optional for players to implement (they can only play back existing saved files). With Samsung, some models work perfectly, while others have discovery or playback issues.

deejayoh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deejayoh

I have one of these. It works great with Windows MCE. It wont' work with any system that's not cablelabs certified (e.g. XMBC). Also - be aware that you really need to use a wired connection to get an artifact-free tv picture. If you watch over wifi, I found you get a lot of pixellation

Powerslave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Powerslave

Yeah, it says you don't have to use a Cable Box, but you STILL have to pay for their cable CARD! They're as much as a cable box now, because of stuff like this. Cable Cards usd to be $2.99 a month, well, they're NOT anymore, so this is no deal by any definition of the term DEAL...

[MOD: Please see wooter posts below about obtaining a cablecard.]

Powerslave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Powerslave

Comcast already went to a platform where you can't get BASIC cable without a box anymore, at least in my area.

amoraluv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages amoraluv

can you get on demand features?(Comcast)

deejayoh

Powerslave wrote:Yeah, it says you don't have to use a Cable Box, but you STILL have to pay for their cable CARD! They're as much as a cable box now, because of stuff like this. Cable Cards usd to be $2.99 a month, well, they're NOT anymore, so this is no deal by any definition of the term DEAL...

That is not correct. I pay $1 a month for my Cablecard from Comcast. Not sure where you are getting your information, but I just checked my last bill and that's the charge here in Seattle. I'm saving $16 a month not having a cablebox.

deejayoh

amoraluv wrote:can you get on demand features?(Comcast)

No, cablecard doesn't support on-demand. You can still use the web-based access, but not your HTPC

eddykim3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddykim3
deejayoh wrote:That is not correct. I pay $1 a month for my Cablecard from Comcast. Not sure where you are getting your information, but I just checked my last bill and that's the charge here in Seattle. I'm saving $16 a month not having a cablebox.

$1.50 - Comcast - Oakland, CA

amoraluv

deejayoh wrote:No, cablecard doesn't support on-demand. You can still use the web-based access, but not your HTPC

why does Tivo get on-demand then?

amoraluv

amoraluv wrote:why does Tivo get on-demand then?

nevermind I found it: Note: Certain TiVo devices, including the Premiere (Series 4) and Roamio (Series 5) DVRs, have access to XFINITY On Demand in select Comcast markets, and come with a proprietary on-screen guide. For more information on TiVo devices, please visit the TiVo website. Additional CableCARD devices, including Ceton and CableCARD TVs, may also receive XFINITY On Demand and other features. Please refer to the documentation provided with your CableCARD ready device for additional information.

bryaninphx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bryaninphx
Tom84 wrote:

Encryption (or Encrypted channels) and Copy Protection are not the same thing and should not be confused with each other.

DNLA support only works on channels marked Copy Freely, CCIByte=0x00. Channels with Copy Protection marked Copy Once, CCIByte=0x02 cannot be streamed using DLNA or anything not Windows Media Center certified. MythTV does not work with Copy Once protection.

If you are with Time Warner Cable, Cox, Brighthouse, and some others only the Local channels can be viewed using DLNA.

Charter varies widely

If you are with Comcast, or FiOS most channels except the Premiums (HBO, etc) are Copy Freely and DLNA will work.

The Samsung SmartTV app works on 2012 Samsung SmartTVs
http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00010110215

EDITED: SEE SiliconDust's comments below for some corrections.

tweekerz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweekerz

RE: DLNA, my Sony Blu-ray player picks up My Prime unit which was purchased a year or so ago.

iPad, Android all work well via in home Wi-Fi. Media Center is tricky on certain computers, since the PlayReady Module is super finicky, and there are DRM reset tools, which end up making you want to pull your hair out.

Silicondust

bryaninphx wrote:DNLA support only works on channels marked Copy Freely, CCIByte=0x00. Channels with Copy Protection marked Copy Once, CCIByte=0x02

If you are with Time Warner Cable, Cox, Brighthouse, and some others only the Local channels can be viewed using DLNA.

Charter varies widely

If you are with Comcast, or FiOS most channels except the Premiums (HBO, etc) are Copy Freely and DLNA will work.

The Samsung SmartTV app works on most all 2013 and newer Samsung SmartTVs
http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00010110215

Copy-protected channels can be played on DLNA devices that support DTCP-IP protection, which includes the Playstation 3 and a handful of smart TVs (certain Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic models). Other devices and most DLNA/UPnP software clients including VLC and XBMC are limited to non-protected content.

Copy protection on Cox varies by region. Some, including Phoenix, protect all encrypted channels, while others (I want to say New England and Northern VA) only protect premiums like HBO and Showtime.

The Samsung app is only available for 2012 models at this time.

Prayer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Prayer

My Comcast is now 100% encrypted. Does that mean with one CableCard, I can only tune ONE channel at a time rather than the three promised in literature ?

bryaninphx

Prayer wrote:My Comcast is now 100% encrypted. Does that mean with one CableCard, I can only tune ONE channel at a time rather than the three promised in literature ?

No. Encryption does not limit the 3 tuner device. 3 channels can be recorded or viewed at the same time.

Tegeril

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Tegeril
Powerslave wrote:Yeah, it says you don't have to use a Cable Box, but you STILL have to pay for their cable CARD! They're as much as a cable box now, because of stuff like this. Cable Cards usd to be $2.99 a month, well, they're NOT anymore, so this is no deal by any definition of the term DEAL...

So much inaccuracy.

If it's the only device you have in your place, Comcast will/must provide the cablecard for free. I have nothing but one cablecard from them and it's $0. Additional ones were $1.50/ea in San Francisco. Same deal in Boston in the past. Verizon charges a tiny bit more for FIOS, but it's still marginal compared to cable boxes. This will pay for itself quickly if you have the other stuff in place to work with it.

elmopio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmopio
steveb944 wrote:Cable only, no satellite per above posted link.

Comcast doesn't charge for the first card. Well at least in my area.

bryaninphx

Comcast is very inconsistent with CableCARD fees, and outlet fees from market to market.

Most providers are ~$2/mo,
but an Addt'l Outlet or Digital fee may also be applied, but the same fee should also be applied to their own STB if they do.

Verizon FiOS is now $4.99/mo

Silicondust

bryaninphx wrote:Verizon FiOS is now $5.99/mo

$4.99. Though given that they've also raised the rates on their boxes, it's still pretty much the same savings. A single DVR is now $22.99 a month.

camzakcamzak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camzakcamzak

I have one with Cox. I pay a #2 m-card rental fee + the charges for cable itself. It's $8 cheaper than a single box and this can watch/record three shows at a time.

The device works fantastic, I've never had to reboot it. The big issue is getting the M-Card synced with your cable subscription. This is more just a 'how things are' issue with m-cards and cable networks. They have to send a ton of packets and eventually the m-card knows what you're supposed to watch.

The streams can be fairly bandwidth intensive at 10-20 Mbps for HD. Wireless-G is iffy, Wireless-N should be fine for a single stream.

tldr; If you're paying to rent a cable box, you should strongly consider this instead. If you switch it should pay for itself in a year and you get way more features.

macccman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macccman

I assume this won't work with iOS since it only mentioned PC and Android. Right?

Michael L. James

Link3220

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Link3220

Ok I'm still VERY confused... I seem to be reading that this should be hard wired to your router. Then you sync it with Media Center or a similar program? Does it also have to be hard wired to your tv, if it's not a smart tv? Or does it somehow send a signal through the cable to each tv? Do you access which channels to watch and record through this box (no remote with it so I guess no), through your pc, or directly on your tv with your tv remote? I only have two tvs I'd need this to work on, but neither are "smart" ( no wifi capable). Lots of questions still, I know. Thanks for any clarification.

basstronics

quality posts: 1 Private Messages basstronics

I have this unit with Time Warner Cable.

The cable companies have a "Cable Card help desk" that is totally seperate from the normal tech desk. They know exactly what they are doing in extreme detail. Im in Ohio and the Cable Card Help Desk I talked with was in New York.

You will need the cable card ($2.50/month for me) and you will need a converter box (free). This box passes the cable thru before heading to the Prime unit. Then a USB cable goes to the prime unit also. This allows 2-way communication.

Setting up Windows Media Center is another thing.

Before you can be "digital cable ready" per WMC you must run the Digital Cable Advisor. This can be found under WMC/Extras/Extras Gallery/Digital Cable Adviser

Follow along. Its the ONLY way to be able to fully use WMC and get all the channels.

I can stream to XBOX360 and an older Sony media player.

This box works awesome once you get it figured out!