ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gudsport wrote:Factory reconditioned from a combined Woot / Asus for me meant...getting a defective product, having to pay out of my own pocket to ship it to asus after waiting a month for Woot to respond, getting the product back in the same condition it was shipped in (broken), finally getting shipping labels from woot and asus..several months after the initial event and finally having woot tell me they will just refund my money but not the amount I paid out of pocket to ship it the first time or for the SD Card that was lost. To top it all off, this was a Xmas present so I ended up paying full price to replace it at the last minute because woot was unavailable to answer my complaint.

gudsport, I'd like to apologize for the poor experience you had during the holidays. We did get behind in CS responses and that caused frustration for customers and us.

Our CS team is back to normal and answering responses generally in 1-2 business days.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
txdave13 wrote:I'm considering this for my 12 year old son. He's not a huge gamer, but I'm sure that he'd install a game or two - he is a Minecraft nut. I know relatively nothing about computers. Would this be a good computer for him?

The Intel HD that is on this chip should be able to play minecraft at least according to this review using Dell laptop with the same CPU http://www.amazon.com/review/R1GTM55ZSNJTLJ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1
The Intel HD is a fairly weak graphics unit and will play only games that are not very graphics intense. My recommendation, for a low price laptop, look for something that has an AMD APU (A6 or better)- it won't give you stunning graphics, but it will be able to do minecraft and low to some mid level gaming.

kolop1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kolop1

I have this laptop. It is a good basic laptop. The touch screen is very responsive. It is really good for day to day tasks.

Jeff79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeff79
txdave13 wrote:I'm considering this for my 12 year old son. He's not a huge gamer, but I'm sure that he'd install a game or two - he is a Minecraft nut. I know relatively nothing about computers. Would this be a good computer for him?

This computer would have a very hard time playing minecraft. It has a weak cpu, which minecraft relies heavily on, and no dedicated gpu.

robio

quality posts: 42 Private Messages robio

OK, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this, but can one of you owners tell me how good the speakers are? My older netbooks have become our "Hulu & Netflix machines" for keeping us company while doing chores, etc.

One of them has great speakers. The other has terrible speakers that at full volume barely reach the half-volume point of the other.

So the speakers on this bad boy: Loud?

evereddie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evereddie

So let me understand this. It's called a Laptop but does not have a CD or DVD optical drive. So doesn't that make it a Netbook? I'm confused. I guess words don't mean anything anymore.

sracer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sracer
evereddie wrote:So let me understand this. It's called a Laptop but does not have a CD or DVD optical drive. So doesn't that make it a Netbook? I'm confused. I guess words don't mean anything anymore.

No. There was never really a standard definition of netbook but there were some specific characteristics that made a computer generally considered a "netbook" including...

- 10" screen or smaller
- No CD/DVD drive

So this thing meets the criteria of not having an optical drive. But the screen is too large to be considered a netbook. It's a "tweener".

robio

evereddie wrote:So let me understand this. It's called a Laptop but does not have a CD or DVD optical drive. So doesn't that make it a Netbook? I'm confused. I guess words don't mean anything anymore.

Not sure why you'd think the definition of "laptop" includes an optical drive. Doesn't "laptop" mean a computer you can fit on your lap?

Laptops didn't have optical drives in the beginning (MacBook 100), and many of them don't today (ultrabooks).

mjhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjhead
eddieregi wrote:I bought two of these Acer netbooks
http://www.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-one-10-1-6-cell-netbook
in Jan 2010. They've been about bullet-proof and still work fine, but are starting to limp a bit. Battery life is short and now WinXP is a problem.

Seems like this would be a reasonable replacement.

This machine is a LOT faster than your Acer Inspire netbook with the Atom processor. I am using a machine similar to this one, as a replacement for my ASUS netbook. Larger screen and a better set-up.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
estro wrote:I second bluemidget's comment. I cannot find this model computer listed anywhere (refurb or new) for less than the listed price. The model with 2GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive is less, but not the model for sale today.

Closest I could find

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/5424005.p?id=1219127072875&skuId=5424005&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=2

mjhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjhead
eddieregi wrote:I bought two of these Acer netbooks
http://www.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-one-10-1-6-cell-netbook
in Jan 2010. They've been about bullet-proof and still work fine, but are starting to limp a bit. Battery life is short and now WinXP is a problem.

Seems like this would be a reasonable replacement.

This machine is a LOT faster than your Acer Inspire netbook with the Atom processor. I am using a machine similar to this one, as a replacement for my ASUS netbook. Larger screen and a better set-up.

robio

I went for it. I need a Win8 machine for QA work, and don't want something full-sized. I justified it by saying I'll write it off on my taxes.

Newdealer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Newdealer

Purchased, Love it.. Plays MINECRAFT very well. & Photoshop and MS Office.. The HDD is a little slow .. BUT I have an 120 SSD that will soon make it way into this little guy .. Battery life is better than I thoght it would be .. Played Minecraft for over 3.5 hours never had a problem.

gallogj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gallogj

I played Minecraft for 5 mins and got super bored. Much props to those who have the patience. I heard there's a wall being painted downtown if you're interested in watching it dry.

eddieregi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eddieregi
mjhead wrote:This machine is a LOT faster than your Acer Inspire netbook with the Atom processor. I am using a machine similar to this one, as a replacement for my ASUS netbook. Larger screen and a better set-up.

Yeah. I'd expect faster after 4 yrs. Exactly the same price.

Mine arrived yesterday and I fired it up last night. Not much experience to describe yet. It spent most of the evening working on 800M of updates.

I like the responsiveness, brightness, and resolution of the touchscreen.
But I'm really not sure how Win8 works. That'll come, though.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mdrcoast

Got mine yesterday, installed updates and went to 8.1

A big note on top says drive was partitioned to erase any data and the recovery partition is gone. No big deal to me...

The screen is very nice, keyboard feels very good and the unit is very light weight.

Have not run the battery down as of yet and working on 3 plus hours.

Will buy this again if it comes up... Wish I could buy more than one!

*edit* I knew exactly what I was getting. For the price, it is a great machine!.

coondog13060

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coondog13060

Should have read the fine print. No software on it at all except the OS. Can't even type a letter. Get what you pay for. It works at least.

tombyrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tombyrd

this link will save your butt. the hard drive has been wiped and you have no Recovery Partition. use it
and you can make a Recovery Partition and then make a Recovery
Drive on a 16GB.
http://www.howtogeek.com/167831/everything-you-need-to-know-about-creating-custom-recovery-images-for-windows-8/

mdrcoast

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mdrcoast

And you can write letters if you have a little common sense!

Recovery Disks and installing Open Office are in no way a deal killer on this machine.

oatnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oatnet

At first it was mere dislike, but after spending time with this notebook - Gawd I hate Windows 8. Anyone know if I can retrograde this to Windows 7?

robio

Arrived today. Haven't had the time to play. Will report back.

In other news, between me and the girl, I now have 2 Macs, 3 Windows (XP, 7, 8), 2 Android tabs, and 2 iPod Touches in my house. 1980s me would think I'm so cool.

robio

tombyrd wrote:this link will save your butt. the hard drive has been wiped and you have no Recovery Partition. use it
and you can make a Recovery Partition and then make a Recovery
Drive on a 16GB.
http://www.howtogeek.com/167831/everything-you-need-to-know-about-creating-custom-recovery-images-for-windows-8/

Big thanks!

oatnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oatnet

Huh. I just realized there is no windows license "Certificate of Authenticity" on this laptop - did that go away on windows 8? I guess reinstallation would be impossible without making recovery disks. Hope this is a legit copy of windows...

koblescar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koblescar

Has anyone else had an issue of it going straight to BIOS instead of booting? My wife has only had it for 2 days got it wed. this is happening fri.

dmbandjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmbandjeff

We're having a problem with ours. It won't start back up after being in sleep mode and we've been getting the blue screen of death multiple times per day. After some investigating, the cause seems to be the iaStor driver which you can't easily update/reinstall. Contacted woot for a replacement or refund, just waiting to hear back. It's too bad, we were really excited about this notebook. Anyone else having similar issues?

robio

No problems yet, save for some spontaneous refreshing of a Hulu stream. But I haven't really done anything with it yet other than stream video. Oh, well, and the speakers leave a lot to be desired.

This is my first experience with Win8, and while it's not setting my world on fire, I kinda like it. The problem is, it's harder to do things that should be easy — like exit a program. I'm using ALT+F4 a lot more than I'm used to. For example, when in the Windows Store app, I can't find ANY way to quit without ALT+F4.

robio

Apparently I have a busted wifi card. Wifi comes and goes randomly, never connected for more than 5-10 minutes, then unable to connect at all for 10-15.

Just got off the horn with ASUS, and they'll fix and ship back, but I have to pay to get it to them. Depending on how much that costs, I may just return it to Woot.

robio

robio wrote:Apparently I have a busted wifi card. Wifi comes and goes randomly, never connected for more than 5-10 minutes, then unable to connect at all for 10-15.

Just got off the horn with ASUS, and they'll fix and ship back, but I have to pay to get it to them. Depending on how much that costs, I may just return it to Woot.

Had to send it back a second time. They just reinstalled the system software and ignored the wifi card.

Just got off the horn with them, and I should have it back tomorrow, with a new wifi card and apparently a new motherboard. Fingers crossed!