lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Ninja BL660 Professional Blender
Price: $69.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, May 14 to Thursday, May 15) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/27/2014 - $69.99 - 20 comment(s)

4/11/2014 - $69.99 (Woot Plus)
3/27/2014 - $69.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these great reviews over at macys.com and Kohls.com

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

Euro-Pro generally puts a two-year warranty on their Ninja products, so this refurbished unit having only 90-days is quite a hit to take on a device likely to undergo some real wear and tear.

Other Ninja models are labeled as containing lead. I don't know if this one does too, but that seams like a poor idea for food preparation.

davemeigs5

quality posts: 8 Private Messages davemeigs5

Does this unit chop things like meat, nuts, and coffee beans?

rroberto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rroberto
HughHemington wrote:Euro-Pro generally puts a two-year warranty on their Ninja products, so this refurbished unit having only 90-days is quite a hit to take on a device likely to undergo some real wear and tear.

Other Ninja models are labeled as containing lead. I don't know if this one does too, but that seams like a poor idea for food preparation.

almost everything contains lead... everything electrical does in solder. don't over react to the lead notice which is required on anything sold in California regardless of what the lead is and where it is.

TheMrDomino

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheMrDomino

It's funny to see this, as my Vitamix literally just shipped today. I figured I'd put in my two cents, since for the past few weeks I've been fairly immersed in the world of high-performance blenders (there's a sentence I never imagined saying). The Ninja here is designed to be a competitor to both the Vitamix and the Blendtec, which are widely considered the standard when it comes to these sorts of home blenders. What I've gleaned in the various comparison videos I've seen which feature this particular Ninja (and its successor) is that it's...okay. There's no doubt it's better than a traditional countertop blender by brands like Oster, Kitchenaide, or Breville, however when compared to the likes of Blendtec and Vitamix it doesn't measure up. If you're looking for something which will make green smoothies, it can, though they won't be as smooth or well-blended as others. Some observations: the center blade 'tower' is made of plastic, with metal blades affixed to it. Similarly, on the Ninja mega kitchen system 1500 (which is a tier above this model) both the drive socket and bottom of the carafe blade assembly which it mates with are plastic.

All that being said, it's a more-capable-than-standard blender at a standard blender price, which is hard to find fault. My only concerns would be longevity and the lack of a lengthy warranty. 2 years on a new product is short, compared to their competitors. 90 days for an appliance that will be put under strenuous work regularly would give me pause.

Regarding the green smoothie...smoothness:

Ninja vs. Vitamix

Blendtec vs. Vitamix

[MOD: Different Ninja models]

tuperroesfeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuperroesfeo

so i just got the blender a few weeks ago at my work when they had a special employee deal on it. The individual cups work super awesome for my morning smoothie, mush better than my oster blender and much easier to clean. I haven't used the regular pitcher much so can't really comment on that, the only thing negative i do have to say it it is a bit loud. Also when using the pitcher the blender wont run unless the lid is on and locked

stingroo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stingroo

I had a better model of Ninja than this one, and honestly, I was not impressed.

It tries to be a blender and a food processor at the same time, and it kind of failed at both. It blended protein shakes "okay," but the ice was chunky and kind of inconsistent. The food processor part just kind of turned everything into small cubes.

Fortunately, mine was a gift. I sold it on Craigslist after a few months. My roommate's $25 walmart blender made a better shake.

Eucalypta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Eucalypta

Adding my 2 cents for what it's worth. ;-) I always find it surprising that people seem to think there are only 2 top blenders. In my opinion this is not true. There is a third one that I have been using every day for a year now, making green smoothies, soups, you name it and I'm more that happy with it. Never failed me.

Like anyone else I did a lot of research because face it, it's a lot of money to pay for a Vitamix and I was in real doubt what to pick. People in forums all seem to favor the Vitamix but I have always been one to go with what I think is best and I went with the for a lot of people unknown blender, the OmniBlender.
At the time I bought it they had a promo going, I saved $300 by not choosing the Vitamix. That was great but not the main reason why I went with the OmniBlender. I think that the Vitamix is over-hyped, very much so. I thought the videos and the documentation of the OmniBlender much more 'real' and 'honest' than the hype of the Vitamix and after comparing parts the Omni still came up on top.
They have a 7 year warranty and just released a smaller container especially for smoothies for 1 person.
When I purchased it I got a second blade for free, even though they have a 7 year warranty. Their customer service is a bliss to deal with after having to deal with large companies, very personal and fast.
Here is their website for anyone who is interested. http://www.3blenders.com/index.html

--
Christine

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0

I went through two Ninja Professional blenders. The motor burned out on them. I use frozen strawberries and blueberries in my smoothies and it's like grinding up rocks. A large frozen strawberry got stuck in the Ninja and the motor wasn't strong enough to turn the blade so it caused two of them to stop working.

The Ninja has very sharp blades and the Blendtec has a dull blade. The Blendtec uses brute force to blend. So one difference I see in the final smoothie is that the Blendtech smoothie is warmer. It's no longer a frozen smoothie but is definitely blended better. The Ninja used to have an occasional blueberry that I couldn't suck through a straw but that rarely happens with the Blendtec. The Ninja Smoothie was so thick that the straw could float on the top whereas the Blendtec smoothie is very liquidy and the straw sinks. I actually liked the think Ninja smoothie better.

Note that I've never put green vegetables in my smoothies -- just frozen fruits.

I've had many blenders in my life and will say the Ninja Pro was one of the best all the way until they stopped working. I would still be using it today if it weren't for the burned out motor. After having to failures, I refused to get a third. The Blendtec is still working.

I like the removable blade from the Ninja and makes for easy cleaning. The Blendtec has a non-removable blade so it's a bit more difficult to clean. At least the blendtec blade is not sharp so I don't have to worry about getting cut. The Ninja blade can easily slice your finger.

csoldihall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csoldihall

If you want something for making smoothies without spending an arm and a leg, I have also found there's another option. The NutriBullet makes an unbelievably smooth smoothie! I bought one on Amazon for $84.

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57
davemeigs5 wrote:Does this unit chop things like meat, nuts, and coffee beans?

I have the model before this one, and larger non-liquid items may be chopped but I found that the consistency is NOT uniform. I actually tried to grate Italian Romano Cheese (which is very hard) and I broke the little plastic piece that holds the blade. Called customer service which was a call center in India, and asked if I could purchase the little plastic piece, and was told that they don't sell it separately. She wanted to sell me the entire plastic pitcher, but then was able to let me have it for free, because I was under warranty. I advise against chopping larger hard items. Just my 2 cents!

ctviggen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen

If you're trying to grind coffee to make coffee (and not for some other reason), you shouldn't use a blender, as the grind won't be uniform. You'll end up with large and small pieces. I'd choose a real coffee grinder instead.

wolfen17

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wolfen17

I bought this a few weeks ago when it was on woot. So, I love this thing. I make almond milk with it -that's where you soak almonds then blend them up and strain for milk....it does that with no problems.
I also make smoothies with it using the single smooth cup. Generally, my smoothies have 1 frozen banana, 3 frozen strawberries, and about 10 blueberries in it. No problems at all blending that up.
Admittedly, I've only had it a few weeks. But, I've been blending with it on a daily basis.
I've had no issues and believe this to be a great purchase at an excellent price.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller
csoldihall wrote:If you want something for making smoothies without spending an arm and a leg, I have also found there's another option. The NutriBullet makes an unbelievably smooth smoothie! I bought one on Amazon for $84.

We're happy with our Magic Bullets, too; so much so that we got three of them, one each for home and both work places! They're regularly available for $40, either on sale or with the 20% off coupon at the 3B store.

muffingirl14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages muffingirl14

I have only used my Ninja three or four times and have already started having trouble with it. Sometimes it simply will not start. I press the power button and get the red light but no motor action and I've done everything the booklet suggest. I am going to check to see if I've had it beyond the 90 days. If I have I am going to still see if the warranty is honored. I was impressed with the new ones purchased by my friends and thought I would be able to brag on the price and quality from Woot.

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30

My wife and I bought one a few months ago on sale for about $10 more at Macy's. My wife uses it to blend her breakfast shakes which include fruit, kale and other veggies. It does well for that type of job. But, if you want to add ice to the mix forget it, our Kitchen Aid does a much better job with ice than this does. The Ninja does not grind ice very uniform, it is always chunky no matter how long you grind it.

One other thing you may want to consider is that this is loud. I mean deafening loud. True, no blender is silent but again comparing it to our Kitchen Aid this is easily 5X louder.

michoutdoors

quality posts: 6 Private Messages michoutdoors

Omni is made in China. Vitamix is made in Ohio. I know it's not important to 50% of this country, but for me, I will pay extra to get American Made all day long. And I have had my Vitamix for 12+ years and use it almost everyday, sometimes multiple times a day....never an issue...ever.

Eucalypta wrote:Adding my 2 cents for what it's worth. ;-) I always find it surprising that people seem to think there are only 2 top blenders. In my opinion this is not true. There is a third one that I have been using every day for a year now, making green smoothies, soups, you name it and I'm more that happy with it. Never failed me.

Like anyone else I did a lot of research because face it, it's a lot of money to pay for a Vitamix and I was in real doubt what to pick. People in forums all seem to favor the Vitamix but I have always been one to go with what I think is best and I went with the for a lot of people unknown blender, the OmniBlender.
At the time I bought it they had a promo going, I saved $300 by not choosing the Vitamix. That was great but not the main reason why I went with the OmniBlender. I think that the Vitamix is over-hyped, very much so. I thought the videos and the documentation of the OmniBlender much more 'real' and 'honest' than the hype of the Vitamix and after comparing parts the Omni still came up on top.
They have a 7 year warranty and just released a smaller container especially for smoothies for 1 person.
When I purchased it I got a second blade for free, even though they have a 7 year warranty. Their customer service is a bliss to deal with after having to deal with large companies, very personal and fast.
Here is their website for anyone who is interested. http://www.3blenders.com/index.html

--
Christine

michaeldeibert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaeldeibert

Worked fantastic for a couple months. It has a clutch that went out from making smoothies! Bought a Ninja Bullitt type and it works great. Not quite as fine chopped but I've had it a couple years versus a couple of months!

gailmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gailmo

I bought this on Woot several weeks ago. I have only used the small cup to make my morning smoothie. I love it! I use a banana, assorted fruit, almond milk, protein powder and two cubes of ice. Everything is blended well. It is a snap to clean and put away. Everyone is up by the time I run the thing, so the noise isn't bothersome. For the price - it has been perfect for me.

kellyaley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kellyaley

I bought this model on Woot a little while ago and I love it. It is not a Vitamix, it is not $400. I use it for about six smoothies a day with frozen fruit, ice, juice, etc. the ice and fruit are uniform and like ice crystals. I have made coconut butter (dried unsweetened coconut and coconut milk). This worked better in the single cups. The single cups are amazing. You can easily make snow cone snow and I love drinking from the cups. I wish they held a little more, but I just use the big one when I make more. I don't think this is pretending to be a food processor. They make another attachment which is a food processor, but this is a blender. It works best with some liquid. I made a soup super smooth the other day and it did that with ease. Clean up is my favorite part. I love that there is no stupid o-ring to mis thread around.

I replaced my Oster blender with this. If you want up use apple peels and rinds of stuff, get a Vitamix. If you make normal smoothies, this one is way better than my Oster.

Boone5199

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Boone5199
davemeigs5 wrote:Does this unit chop things like meat, nuts, and coffee beans?

Yes it does all three. My daughter-in-law has one. She makes tamales and uses it to chop everything, even the meat. She loves it. Warning though, the blades are super sharp.

Xyleno

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xyleno

I've owned several Ninja products, including this one; I bought this blender after it was recommended by a friend. The brand name is flawless - yes, I suppose every product has some flaws here and there, but these products are really top-notch.

Both the regular blender and the small cups chop everything - I've done ice, whole veggies, whole fruits, protein shakes, everything. I can't really understand how some people are saying it can't chop these that fine - I've done it many many many times and it works flawlessly every time. It does tend to sink to the bottom when doing "nutribullet-type" shakes, but that's because plant matter is more dense than the water.

While I can't speak for refurb, the brand is awesome. I bought this instead of a nutribullet and it's awesome.

nickspeck

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nickspeck

I'll add my two cents to this discussion. We've had really good look with this exact model. We've used it for close to half a year, every day (wife makes shakes with it in the mornings) and it has held up well. For those comparing this to the Vitamix, I think the comparison is a bit unfair, solely from a price standpoint. The Ninja we bought was about 1/4th the price (on sale) of the Vitamix. While I have no doubts that the Vitamix does a better job of getting things smooth (and it should for 3 times the price) the Ninja does a very adequate job of making smoothies and shakes.

My notes are thus: 1.) this works extremely well to make salsa and I've never noted an onion or tomato flavor in my shakes or smoothies. 2.) This will puree your smoothies extremely well. Contrary to the comparison videos, I've had really good luck with mine. I run it for a full 2 minutes, at least, on level 3. Yes, it might take a little longer than the Vitamix, but can you not afford an extra minute, really? 3.) It will make snow from your ice. Kids love this. Except when you take said Ninja made ice snow, form it into a snowball, and throw it at them when they aren't suspecting it. Then they aren't a fan. 4.) It's a ninja, and who doesn't like ninjas?

Really, though, I've had really good luck with using this blender to make smoothies and shakes (the majority of consumers I assume will use for the same purposes) and I haven't been let down. It's not a Vitamix, and you shouldn't expect that, but it is a darn good blender and for this price I think you'll probably be happy with it. It's all about having realistic expectations.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

So temped

digitalis303

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitalis303

I don't have a lot to say that hasn't already been said. My wife convinced me to go in for a Vitamix at Costco ($375), which I thought was ridiculous. However, we've been pretty pleased with it. It is crazy-loud, but pulverizes everything. The blade is dull (like the blendtec) so it won't cut you, but it gets the job done. I suppose there is a reason why there is a Vitamix cult of people on the internet. It has built a solid reputation. I hear a lot of people complaining about the Ninja here...
With that said, this is a small fraction of the cost of a Vitamix (even on its best-deal day), so it is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. You get what you pay for (if you are lucky).

CnA2004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CnA2004

Not very good for making smoothies since it leaves a lot of chunks. I had the Ninja, but was not happy about how coarse the smoothies were. Skip the Ninja and wait when the Breville blender is on Woot. It does a much better job in chopping up veggies and fruit very fine.

ntotrr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ntotrr
TheMrDomino wrote:It's funny to see this, as my Vitamix literally just shipped today. I figured I'd put in my two cents, since for the past few weeks I've been fairly immersed in the world of high-performance blenders (there's a sentence I never imagined saying). The Ninja here is designed to be a competitor to both the Vitamix and the Blendtec, which are widely considered the standard when it comes to these sorts of home blenders. What I've gleaned in the various comparison videos I've seen which feature this particular Ninja (and its successor) is that it's...okay. There's no doubt it's better than a traditional countertop blender by brands like Oster, Kitchenaide, or Breville, however when compared to the likes of Blendtec and Vitamix it doesn't measure up. If you're looking for something which will make green smoothies, it can, though they won't be as smooth or well-blended as others. Some observations: the center blade 'tower' is made of plastic, with metal blades affixed to it. Similarly, on the Ninja mega kitchen system 1500 (which is a tier above this model) both the drive socket and bottom of the carafe blade assembly which it mates with are plastic.

All that being said, it's a more-capable-than-standard blender at a standard blender price, which is hard to find fault. My only concerns would be longevity and the lack of a lengthy warranty. 2 years on a new product is short, compared to their competitors. 90 days for an appliance that will be put under strenuous work regularly would give me pause.

Regarding the green smoothie...smoothness:

Ninja vs. Vitamix

Blendtec vs. Vitamix

[MOD: Different Ninja models]

The Ninja Ultra is a direct competitor to the Vitamix and it performs just as well without the need to use a tamper like you do to with the Vitamix. It retails for less than $200.00.

Rosebud40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rosebud40

I cannot believe this!! I just bought one of these blenders for my sons 30th birthday and I paid $130.00 for it and it was a good deal because it was on sale. Now I see it on WOOT for 1/2 the price. Just my luck. My son is thrilled with his and he and his girlfriend make smoothies every morning and said it makes a smooth smoothie. I may have to buy one for myself now.

choofnagle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages choofnagle

Consumer Reports has not rated the BL660, but it ranks Ninja's "Master Prep Professional" at the very top, above the Vitamix (probably because the vitamix is so much more expensive--the $250 difference is probably just not worth it).

#3 in consumer reports is the Ninja Professional NJ600, ranked above the Breville and the Vitamix 750.

bolts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bolts

I tried the Omni as well and returned it after a week.

It did not compare to my Vitamix...not nearly as smooth smoothies no matter how much longer it was blending.

Comparing to the 2HP Vitamix and I believe the Omni was advertised as a 3HP.

Imho pay more up front and you will reap the rewards for a long time to come.

I also bought a used vitamix and changed the blade/bearing which was bound and it is still going strong after 7 years of restaurant abuse. And that was a used one with a worn out blade bearing. It takes ALOT of wear and tear to wear out a blade and even after the replacement it is still going strong. Nuff Sed.

Eucalypta wrote:Adding my 2 cents for what it's worth. ;-) I always find it surprising that people seem to think there are only 2 top blenders. In my opinion this is not true. There is a third one that I have been using every day for a year now, making green smoothies, soups, you name it and I'm more that happy with it. Never failed me.

--
Christine

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 35 Private Messages sellbuyer92

Here are some reviews from Bestbuy.com

Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

I have an old metal/beehive Osterizer - if I had to guess I'd say 15 years - and it will still pulverize anything.
The only think I've had to replace were the bottom assembly on the carafe and one of those that I broke.
When it finally gives it up, are these comparable?

wizeguy6

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wizeguy6

Wow, didn't realize there was such a cult around BLENDERS!! While everybody's blenders are thumping their owners' chests, my Waring Pro would like add that it, also, is Made in the USA, and is quite tough and effective. Not sure what a Vitamix can do that it cannot, but hey, as long as US jobs are being supported!

Now, with regard to the Ninja products... I was really skeptical when my wife bought a Ninja handheld blender/food processor set. But after using it a number of times, I've been reasonably impressed with its performance. I don't know squat about this particular unit on Woot today, but what I have seen so far of Euro-Pro's other stuff speaks highly to their value at a given price point. No reason I'd expect this one to be any less of a value.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

Just my two cents. I have owned a Vitamix for over 8 years now. I too fought buying one for a long time, I figured the price did not justify the purchase.

I used it once a day to make broccoli shakes. It has never failed yet. Nothing I have found can blend to the smoothness of the Vitamix, it is just like the consistency of a milk shake you would by at a restaurant, in other words smoooothhhh!

But something no one seems to ever mention, the controls are very simple. It has an On/Off button, a variable control, and a high switch. No electronic controls, built in menus, timers etc. With this you have excellent control, you can usually control the up-splash the most other blenders cannot. Very nice.

I was worth every penny.

sithanas

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sithanas

I have this blender. It does well, though I find it doesn't totally smooth out chunks of date if I use them as ingredients in a smoothie. Haven't tried any leafy vegetables but I assume they would blend well.

A word to the wise--the blades on this thing are wicked sharp. I cut myself within 30 seconds of opening the box. Be very careful when you unpack and when you clean it after use. Also, don't store the large blender vessel with the lid on--you will find it extremely difficult to remove later when you go to use it.

maxrfb

quality posts: 8 Private Messages maxrfb

What this blender cannot do is 'chop.
That whole fruit/ice photo is just silly.

wow. I actually bought a Robot Elvis.
What was I thinking?

erikjblair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erikjblair

I bought this same model at Kohl's for more. It wasn't a refurb so I can't speak to the quality. I use mine multiple times a day. It works really well. I love the little cups. I use it to make a daily shake of Kale, berries, protein powder and almond milk. It's been great. I make yogurt smoothies and milk shakes for my kids, too. I had an old school Oster that couldn't do the shake at all.

Again, not sure about the warranty and refurb, but the product itself is really great for the price.