zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Sony Xperia Z Tablet Bundles
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, May 15 to Friday, May 16) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some perfect reviews over at bhphotovideo.com

pphilipp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pphilipp

I had to search to find out this is an Android tablet. Woot makes it hard to find this info.

Good thing I didn't place an order.

Android is the OS of choice for cheap, bottom of the line tablets (and give away phones) but doesn't go head to head with the other operating systems and shouldn't be priced accordingly.

Avoid this one

echineko

quality posts: 3 Private Messages echineko

Avoiding any open generalisations that add no actual value to the conversation, what's the warranty like for this tablet? If I bought one as a gift for someone who's travelling outside the US, does a global warranty apply?

Also, I'm guessing this is the first model of the Sony tablet, not the newer Z2, correct?

jrbelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrbelle
pphilipp wrote:I had to search to find out this is an Android tablet. Woot makes it hard to find this info.

Android is the OS of choice for cheap, bottom of the line tablets (and give away phones) but doesn't go head to head with the other operating systems and shouldn't be priced accordingly.

Avoid this one

Under specs (2nd tab on page) , says quite plainly:
Operating System: Android™ 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

I looked to find out which Android version before considering purchase. Not hard to find at all.

mderoller

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mderoller
echineko wrote:Avoiding any open generalisations that add no actual value to the conversation, what's the warranty like for this tablet? If I bought one as a gift for someone who's travelling outside the US, does a global warranty apply?

Also, I'm guessing this is the first model of the Sony tablet, not the newer Z2, correct?

Correct, it's not the Z2. This model came out about a year ago but is still a very good tablet.

acraigl

quality posts: 57 Private Messages acraigl

$559 on Amazon, and that's without a case, so a good deal for sure. That said, my gut says wait for the next gen for significant improvements over this (decent) tablet.

dirtybudha

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtybudha

While many cheap tablets use Android, because it's open source, it doesn't dictate that it's a cheap tablet. Sony makes solid phones and I'd certainly look into this device for a purchase.

If it's a name brand such as Sony, Samsung, etc. then you have a solid device. Otherwise, you're just a iFan.

pphilipp wrote:I had to search to find out this is an Android tablet. Woot makes it hard to find this info.

Avoid this one

--
Dirty Budha
"The back seat of a car is not a date."

dirtybudha

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtybudha

You're right that the next gen will be bigger and better,because they will ALWAYS be better than the previous models, but the specs are on par with what's out right now. The 1.5 Quad is a bit on the low side, but the 2 Gig RAM is faster than some name brand tablets.

This is a good buy for those that want a good tab at a decent price.

jrbelle wrote:Under specs (2nd tab on page) , says quite plainly:
Operating System: Android™ 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

I looked to find out which Android version before considering purchase. Not hard to find at all.

--
Dirty Budha
"The back seat of a car is not a date."

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956

I've owned the original xperia, which was buggy and slow. Needed to reset this all the time - but it served as an OK remote (which was its main function in my house). I now have the xperia S - no issues at all. Pretty fast and it is a very good universal remote. Now I've decided to dive in with the Z - it should be faster than the S and I can spill things on it without too much worries, what's there not to like about a waterproof universal remote for the home theater system.

synasoft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages synasoft

Avoid this one

Excuse me, but if it is not IoS, and its not Windows, what else would it be?

amy heber

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998

A word of warning. Sony has a history of abandoning their tablets and also locking them down. I have one of their S gen tablets and two years after it came out they stopped all firmware updates for it and you cannot upgrade it to the latest android version.

Also the list price for a tablet on their own site is 599.99 though they sell it on their official site for 549.99. The cover is 79.99 going for 49.99... You can find screen protectors for 10 and Sony doesnt even sell them so frankly the list price of this is higher than it should be.

One last thing if this is the first gen z tablet, sony issued a clarification on it being water resistant - the first batch of z tablets weren't.

danbfas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danbfas

With a little research, this expert would discover that Android is over 75% of the world market in phones and tablets. My company recently stated that they couldn't guarantee support for Apple IOS in the future as it was becoming less prominent world wide.

DJG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DJG

Avoid this one

What a strange comment. Android phones and tablets are super, highly sought after, and there is no reason to say they don't equal or even beat Apply and Windows OSs. I bought the Sony tablet (a much older version) from Woot a while back and it has been nothing that a blazing fast, thin, easy to use tablet, sturdy, etc. Way easier to use than my wife's Apply iPad, much lighter, thinner, etc.

bunchenator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunchenator

I have a hard time jumping for this for 400 when the Z2 Tablet direct from Sony is only 100 more and I can buy a case I really like...

That being said these are really nice tablets!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Well, good morning all. I think we're going to see some lively conversation today.

Please refrain from personal attacks. If you're commenting on this product (THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL) or a rebuttal based on fact or opinion, you're golden.

One liners that do not add to the debate in a meaningful way and personal insults will be deleted.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

schep999

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999
ThunderThighs wrote:Well, good morning all. I think we're going to see some lively conversation today.

Please refrain from personal attacks. If you're commenting on this product (THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL) or a rebuttal based on fact or opinion, you're golden.

One liners that do not add to the debate in a meaningful way and personal insults will be deleted.

Aw Mom, we were just having fun........

simru12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simru12

I have the Sony S tablet from about 18 months ago, which requires a proprietary charger. Did Sony finally wise up and allow USB charging with this one?

krbuell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krbuell

Apparently, the majority of users commenting are unfamiliar with either Android or tablets. A simple Google search of this device will show that despite being a year old, this is still one of the top three tablets available. This is a top of the line tablet that has had its praises sung by all the electronics review sites. Android is a great OS and has a very large assortment of apps available. As to the comment of the first Xperias not being waterproof, I believe that only relates to the Xperia S, not the Z. True, the Z2 is an improved version for $100 more for the 16GB, and $200 more for the 32GB, so compared to the current price of the Z (or Z1 if you prefer, this particular tablet) at 32GB, this is a fantastic price, especially considering the add-ons. I doubt we'll see this older model discounted any further by Sony. This WOOT price is by far the best price offering I've seen. I'm still debating whether to spring for this older version or spending the extra for the newest, but to be honest, this one will do just about anything you want. I'm not into gaming on a tablet, so this original Z will probably suite me just fine, so why not save the $200?

bunnykins

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bunnykins

Avoid this one

Android is a very good OS. Yes there are cheap android tablets but most are really good. My Toshiba android tablet was actually better then my ipad. Some asus tablets that friends have had and some still have are also better then an ipad.

Ipad is over rated but it does have a good battery life.

I personally would never use a windows tablet. In my opinion and this is just my opinion windows tablets are the worst tablets that I have seen even worse then some of the cheat android tablets but not all the cheap android tablets.

Any way I would rather have android os on my phones and tables then IOS or windows OS.

Also I plan on buying this as I have wanted this tablet for a while now. It is in my wish list on amazon and I was just waiting for the price to come down.

krbuell

Ack, now I see the Samsung Note 2014 deal! Decisions, decisions,decisions. I've been torn between these two tablet and sitting on the fence for months. I love the S-pen features of the Note, but despite what would seem to be better hardware specs on the Note 2014, most reviews still place the Xperia Z above it, citing lag from the heavy UI from Samsung.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Although I cannot speak for the quality of this tablet, I swore off Sony after a bad experience with their Experia S Tablet we purchased from Woot in August 2012.

Their customer support was totally lack-luster and we had nothing but problems with the tablet (horrible wifi reception, issues with updating, and problems even connecting to our router). After almost exactly 13 months, the battery quit and completely ruined the tablet (corrosion was evident on the battery contacts and charger base). Called Sony and our only options were to send it to them to 'diagnose' for over $150! No promise beyond a diagnosis whether it could be fixed. Option 2 was to 'trade it in' for credit towards a new model tablet. Well trade in value was only $10 (less than our cost to ship it to them!). Option 3 was to have them recycle it... yeah, at a COST (shipping) to us.

I know it was a month out of warranty, but it was not very proactive on Sony's part, nor was it giving me the impression that Sony made quality/lasting products. I've had great experiences with other companies who give a little (Epson and Oppo come to mind) with their warranties. They have earned a repeat customer in me.

SO, YMMV with Sony products. Our experience may have been extraordinary, but err on the side of caution. Get an extended warranty! Do NOT expect Sony to go above and beyond...

Lastly, as far as the early comment on Android OS... THAT made me laugh! Take that one with a grain of salt.

dgvertz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dgvertz
krbuell wrote:Ack, now I see the Samsung Note 2014 deal!

Where is that deal?

bunnykins

dgvertz wrote:Where is that deal?

http://moofi.woot.com/offers/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-2014-edition-1

hotsaucemagik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotsaucemagik
krbuell wrote:Ack, now I see the Samsung Note 2014 deal! Decisions, decisions,decisions. I've been torn between these two tablet and sitting on the fence for months. I love the S-pen features of the Note, but despite what would seem to be better hardware specs on the Note 2014, most reviews still place the Xperia Z above it, citing lag from the heavy UI from Samsung.

Take this as anecdotal for now as I haven't recieved it yet, but apparently the UI is buttery smooth after the KitKat update. Mine is arriving today so I'll give it a go and report back.

EDIT: Yep. Post Kitkat update, after a night of use, this is is smooth as silk. TBH wasn't that bad before, but I'm still getting my bearings with it.

krbuell

Yeah, I have a Galaxy S4 cell phone which has basically the same UI, other than the additional software for the S-Pen and I rather like the UI for all its shortcuts. It makes it super easy to find what you want to do without digging through menus. That said, they've got lots of other stuff on there that I don't care about and simply disabled. I know the Xperia Z is also getting updated to KitKat so that's no tiebreaker for me (even though not officially released from Sony yet, it can be downloaded from developer sites tweaked specifically for Xperia Z). I really like Android as an operating system. I wish I could get away from Windows on my laptop, but I can't due to work requirements. The only Apple product I've owned is an iPod Touch and it's okay, but maybe I'm weird as I find Apple's iOS to be frustrating (maybe because I like modifying things to my liking as I can with Android.)

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

Decent tablet, but for not much more you could get a Nexus 10, Kindle HDX. ~$250 on this would be a good buy...
Sony does abandon items. Ask anyone that bought one of their "Dash" units.

attunezero

quality posts: 1 Private Messages attunezero

I own one of these. The xperia Z tablet is by far and away the best android tablet I have ever used (have owned acer a500, some lenovo crap, galaxy note phone, galaxy tab2 7.0). It is a 10" tablet that is light enough to hold comfortably with one hand. That is huge for me. The thin design makes it feel like you are just holding a screen, not a device. It is waterproof which is cool, I can watch netflix in the hot hub. Default software is good enough and fast enough that I don't feel the need to install a custom rom (which I have done on all my other android devices). Screen is great, battery life is great. Only thing I don't like is the speakers could be a little louder.

krbuell

kschoenberg wrote:Decent tablet, but for not much more you could get a Nexus 10, Kindle HDX. ~$250 on this would be a good buy...
Sony does abandon items. Ask anyone that bought one of their "Dash" units.

They are still updating the Xperia Z, it is not abandoned, plus there is a lot of independent development for it, because it is viewed by tech geeks as a premium device worthy of their efforts to tweak it. Nexus 10, great tablet, but also a year old and has no SD slot for expanding storage. Kindle is a closed proprietary modified Android system and I think it also does not have an SD slot. While it is a great tablet, it is not anywhere near as versatile as a pure Android tablet. It all depends on what you wish to do with your tablet as to whether it would fit your needs.

nickspeck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nickspeck

Damn you, woot!, and your attempted attack on my checking account!

Can anyone tell me about the display on this unit? I recall Engadget stating that the colors were a bit washed out and that the newer version Z2, had fixed this. Can anyone give their thoughts on how this display stacks up? I love the form factor of this tablet and really need a reason to transfer money from savings and pick this up.

lostporcupine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lostporcupine

I want to second on the Note deal over this. 10 cheaper, all specs match or exceed this tablet. In reality performance probably won't be too different between the two, but the note has the advantage of S-Pen, multi-window, etc.
I enjoy Android devices over others myself, but I don't really see the value in this Sony tablet unless another $100 were shaved off of the price.

aspark659

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aspark659
simru12 wrote:I have the Sony S tablet from about 18 months ago, which requires a proprietary charger. Did Sony finally wise up and allow USB charging with this one?

Good news, it charges with a microUSB cable. Bad news is that it requires a wall socket and is slow (~8 hours for a full charge).

jolthammer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jolthammer
kschoenberg wrote:Sony does abandon items. Ask anyone that bought one of their "Dash" units.

Yeah, I did love my Sony Dash. I still use it, but it's not nearly as functional as it once was.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

aspark659 wrote:Good news, it charges with a microUSB cable. Bad news is that it requires a wall socket and is slow (~8 hours for a full charge).

Wall socket charging is true of many tablets though. Computers just don't have the juice to charge them.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
krbuell wrote:They are still updating the Xperia Z, it is not abandoned, plus there is a lot of independent development for it, because it is viewed by tech geeks as a premium device worthy of their efforts to tweak it. Nexus 10, great tablet, but also a year old and has no SD slot for expanding storage. Kindle is a closed proprietary modified Android system and I think it also does not have an SD slot. While it is a great tablet, it is not anywhere near as versatile as a pure Android tablet. It all depends on what you wish to do with your tablet as to whether it would fit your needs.

The real question though is whether the z tablet is locked up or not. The s tablet was originally rootable, but after Sony issued the last firmware before abandoning that table it was locked up if you were foolish enough to install the firmware. Sony loves to lock down their devices.

bunnykins

ThunderThighs wrote:Wall socket charging is true of many tablets though. Computers just don't have the juice to charge them.

Yes even the ipad does not charge off the computer. Wait I take that back it does only if the ipad is off and it takes like 24 hours to charge that way. I have done it before but that was after a sync and I just left it connected after it got done and in a day or more it was charged to my surprise.

hogleg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hogleg

Avoid this one

Instead of posting things like this, it may be faster and more efficient to tattoo "I'm an id10t" on your forehead.

Android is the OS of choice for kindle fires, the now ended Nook line, the nexus 7 and 10, this (premium) tablet, many MANY high end phones, and an entire community of devs. It's on cheap tablets? So that is the reason they fail? Is that an indicator of quality?

TL;DR - you are wrong to generalize, and should feel terrible for making such a blatantly foolish statement.

biliabong6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages biliabong6

At $400, this is a clear "no buy." Even at $200 I would be on the fence. Sony continually prices themselves way out of the market. For a locked-down, old tech, unpopular tablet there are many other better and cheaper options.